AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The 6th Day - DVD vs Blu-ray Screenshot Comparison

Quote from my stats/thoughts page:
Quote:

The Blu-ray has a slightly different framing than the DVD throughout. The DVD has less in the horizontal, while the vertical framing is just shifted. The BD does appear to have some edge enhancement; not much haloing but overly sharp faces.

I can barely see any difference between the 1080p and the 720p downscales even at 200%, and these are the most detailed shots I could find. Clearly superior to the 480p though, so around 720p level of detail.

I had higher hopes for this disc. This movie isn't that old, so I think a remaster could improve a lot in the resolution department. I don't see why they would drop the isolated score/commentary, and not including the theatrical trailer is just strange since even most barebones DVDs have them.

Strange thing I noticed watching this now, there are shots of LCD TVs that show massive interlacing "comb" artifacts on their screens. Were there LCD TVs without deinterlacing in 2000? Or were they computer monitors standing in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-31-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The Blu-ray looks clearly superior to me. No complaints from my side. The noticeable difference between 480p and 720p is huge compared to 720p and 1080p with just about any material in my opinion. It's the law of diminishing returns (unless you are projecting on a absolutely huge screen).
post #3 of 3 Old 05-31-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yup but if you check out my Ice Age pix thread or some of the titles in the DU test thread, there is actually a noticeable difference between the two for more detailed transfers.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page