Transfomers 2007 BD vs. HD DVD - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Transformers 2007 BD first week's numbers vs. first week HD DVD's numbers
First week BD will sell more than first week HD DVD 0 0%
First week BD will NOT sell more than first week HD DVD 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZiggyZ View Post

When this is finally released, I hope we can have a quality discussion of the picture and audio comparisons without the movie critiques or the over-sensitive flame bait police.

LOL!!

Quote:

"Because of Blu-ray's expanded capacity, we are able to elevate the bit rate used for the picture as well as present uncompressed audio in the form of Dolby True HD," said Rob Moore, vice chairman of Paramount Pictures.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques.../index.php#/12
Page 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 03:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Let's face it though, it will still be fun comparing...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Old 06-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ79 View Post

Guys, the only difference in sound will be if they make it deliberately different, like 3 db louder or softer, or slightly differently mixed, so that people on forums can discuss it. Do you realize that 1.5 Mpbs for DD+ gives you approximately 256 kbps per channel? What kind of stuff do you download from iTunes? These high bitrate lossy codecs are developed so that you CANNOT discern any difference, even if some test equipment could. And that's with double-blind tests with matched outputs, in controled environment (listening room), with top-notch equipment, AND TRAINED listeners.

And some people expect they can hear substantial difference in their imperfect rooms, with their Accoustimass 15 systems or TV speakers, all that over PS3 fan noise. Yeah, right. But the mind can play tricks on you -- the placebo effect.

Now, about loud deep bass, 96 kbps MP3 can do that quite easily.

Not everyone has Bose, man. I can easily tell the difference between DD, DD+, THD, DTS-MA and PCM. I despise MP3. All my music is WAV.

And my home theatre system is modest (Integra/Kef/Def Tech).

Ease back on the throttle.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Nice system, and modesty indeed is a virtue. But have you done level-matched double-blind tests? I'm not saying you can't hear it, just that you may be in a very high percentile.

I'm just telling people not to fall for marketing fluff, but to be informed customers, and if sometimes I must use more exteme examples like in these threads regarding this cinematic achievement, so be it. Marketing guys know very well what they're doing and they're playing us like a violin. Let's not be their target group/subjects/whatever term they use.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I've done many, many blind tests. For me, the best way to describe DD vs THD (or anyother SD track vs lossy) is openness. How everything becomes tighter, yet transparent. Vocal track becomes more intelligible, foley effects can sound more realistic, bass becomes tighter rather than boomy, panning effects as well as the holosonic soundfield become more apparent.

Here's what totally surprised me. I had a girl I was dating come over to watch a film. She wanted Enchanted, I wanted Die Hard 4. I won. I had the unrated SD in the player let her watch the assault on the apple computer actor's apartment. Then popped in the B-Ray with DTS-MA and did the same sequence again. I thought her 1st reaction would be "it's louder!" but instead her reaction was " I can hear the wood splintering!". This is coming from a woman who thinks THX is a rare STD.

One only has to educate someone to understand what to look/listen for and you can change them forever.

I totally agree with the marketing comment though. Of course they want to sell more discs. Kind of like 1080p on a 37" vs 720p at a 8 foot viewing distance. Complete BS. Now, that's another thread altogether
Old 06-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Alright have the HD DVD version and am happy with it. No way am I giving that arrogant jerk, Michael Bay anymore of my money.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul nyc View Post

Not everyone has Bose, man. I can easily tell the difference between DD, DD+, THD, DTS-MA and PCM. I despise MP3. All my music is WAV.

And my home theatre system is modest (Integra/Kef/Def Tech).

God bless ya' Paul!

When I record a tune and have to make an mp3 of it to upload to my site or email it, the difference in sound quality, even a 320mps mp3, is drastic IMHO.
I love how we're getting much more advanced technologically and yet most people choose lower quality. 128kps. mp3's, single layered compressed DVDs they make after ripping a commercial dvd. (sigh...)
I went to a party where the guy "DJ'ing" was simply running his ipod through the stereo and all his tunes were auto-leveled and recorded at the lowest bit rate to fill up his ipod with the most possible songs. Sounded like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Catalogues rarely do "That well".

Its unrealistic to expect transformers to be one of the best selling BD titles... a year after its DVD release.

And I agree that transformers was terrible. Optimus got the beat down by Megatron. And then
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Megatron gets killed by a kid?, Blackout is killed in one shot by a human?

The autobots were practically worthless in the movie. "Hi I am ratchet. I cant fix Bumble Bees Voice box, or his legs. You see Jazz over there, I think he is dead"

At least Optimus was able to kill a low level decepticon before getting tossed around like a rag doll by Megatron.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Megatron didn't get killed. If anything the allspark will make him more powerful. Mostly likely his spark was separated from it's container but it's so powerful that he can find a new more powerful body. That or Starscream needs to travel somewhere to re-awaken him.

And Jazz's spark was probably extinguished when Megatron ripped him in half. There's no coming back from that... unless you have Optimus somewhere in your name.

They did OK with working the lore into a live action movie.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
Old 06-07-2008, 03:39 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post

Alright have the HD DVD version and am happy with it. No way am I giving that arrogant jerk, Michael Bay anymore of my money.

I did not know Micheal bay was recieving any money in HD DVD/BD/SD sales.

Frank
Old 06-07-2008, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Most that are into HD already have it on HD DVD...

I agree with what others are saying there is no way I would buy this on BD when I already own it on HD DVD. I would much rather apply that money towards another movie I don't own on high def.

HD DVD - 86 titles and counting
BD - 24 titles and counting
Old 06-07-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

That's an even better point mosul210! And with some good titles coming in September there is no reason to double dip. I want as many titles as I can get in HD (that I or we like)...

Old 06-07-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Same here, I have the HD DVD and a Toshiba player so whenever I get the urge I just pop it in. I'm in agreement with the two previous posters I'd rather not double dip like there are a few discs I want other than Transformers.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Especially if the UK versions of Kill Bill VOl 1 & 2 and Pulp Fiction work over here!

Old 06-07-2008, 07:54 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Most that are into HD already have it on HD DVD...

Like me. However, I'd happily buy it on BD to save me from having to use my slow ass Toshiba player in favor of the PS3.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Just going off topic how do you figure that James Cameron would have done a better job? As Shadowrage said it's based on a toys and that cartoon.if Michael Bay did such a terrible job why did it do so well at the cinemas? why are so many people driving around with bloody transformer stickers on there cars? I think the majority out do the minority when it comes to liking this film.

Sorry KEVIN12586 back on topic!

you truly don't want me answering that question as for the answer would offend many people. To me all TF had was excellent special effects....THAT'S ALL!!!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 06:44 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post

you truly don't want me answering that question as for the answer would offend many people. To me all TF had was excellent special effects....THAT'S ALL!!!!!

There is a few members that have made there point in not liking Transformers especially on this thread which is clearly titled Transformers 2007 BD vs. HD DVD which doesn't mean what's your thoughts on transformers the movie. I don't understand the logic in why telling us all how much you hate it, or how much you dislike Michael bay.I don't care if people don't like it but to go out of your way to let us know you hate this movie it must of really affected some of you in a bad way.If people don't like transformers so be it but it's silly to be jumping in people threads to let them know that you hate that movie so much and even to say "answer could offend many people", that comment alone could be interpreted as offensive.

I know people that hate LOTR, HP and even star wars, so be it, I respect that.There is only one solution if you don't like it don't watch it.We all have different tastes in movies so instead of getting nasty, ignore the thread and don't watch the movie.

Frank
Old 06-08-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

I love my PS3 and admit it loads most titles within seconds. But still I would much rather wait for the other format to load 45 seconds or so instead of use another 30 bucks to double dip. That 30 bucks will be used for another title that I really want in HD. September is already going to be an expensive month for movies so there is no point in making it worse.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:28 PM

When it was released on HDDVD, it was incorrectly included in the BD B1G1 at CC. That was a huge week for both formats. There were lots of ppl without HDDVD players who bought the movie, just to get it at half price.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

There is a few members that have made there point in not liking Transformers especially on this thread which is clearly titled Transformers 2007 BD vs. HD DVD which doesn't mean what's your thoughts on transformers the movie. I don't understand the logic in why telling us all how much you hate it, or how much you dislike Michael bay.I don't care if people don't like it but to go out of your way to let us know you hate this movie it must of really affected some of you in a bad way.If people don't like transformers so be it but it's silly to be jumping in people threads to let them know that you hate that movie so much and even to say "answer could offend many people", that comment alone could be interpreted as offensive.

I know people that hate LOTR, HP and even star wars, so be it, I respect that.There is only one solution if you don't like it don't watch it.We all have different tastes in movies so instead of getting nasty, ignore the thread and don't watch the movie.

Yep. It's called threadcrapping and usually indicates that someone is very bored or has nothing better to do.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li'l Jimmy View Post

When it was released on HDDVD, it was incorrectly included in the BD B1G1 at CC. That was a huge week for both formats. There were lots of ppl without HDDVD players who bought the movie, just to get it at half price.

Correct. I was one of them lucky enough to get the HD DVD version for $14.99 and then sold it on ebay for $14.99 a while ago.

As far as the movie, the HD DVD AQ was lacking the LFE(see thread in HD DVD SW forum). That's really the only reason I sold my HD DVD version since the blu-ray will have lossless audio. PQ was top notch on HD DVD.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Correct. I was one of them lucky enough to get the HD DVD version for $14.99 and then sold it on ebay for $14.99 a while ago.

As far as the movie, the HD DVD AQ was lacking the LFE(see thread in HD DVD SW forum). That's really the only reason I sold my HD DVD version since the blu-ray will have lossless audio. PQ was top notch on HD DVD.

This is not an across the board problem with the LFE on the HD-DVD which needs to be pointed out. On the HD-DVD disc I own, The LFE on Transformers DD+ bitstreamed out of my A35 to my 885 Onkyo is house crushing....one of the best LFE discs I have listened to overall on either format. I dont think it was ever determined why some were having LFE issues, but not all were and this disc (atleast for me and many others) has reference LFE.

Edit: Also, none of these viewers obviously had any lack of LFE

http://www.hddb.net/reviews/1828

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 06-09-2008, 04:48 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

This is not an across the board problem with the LFE on the HD-DVD which needs to be pointed out. On the HD-DVD disc I own, The LFE on Transformers DD+ bitstreamed out of my A35 to my 885 Onkyo is house crushing....one of the best LFE discs I have listened to overall on either format. I dont think it was ever determined why some were having LFE issues, but not all were and this disc (atleast for me and many others) has reference LFE.

Edit: Also, none of these viewers obviously had any lack of LFE

http://www.hddb.net/reviews/1828

I also did have good LFE.I wonder if the LFE problem related to the players that came out with the -5db lFE bug?

Frank
Old 06-09-2008, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

No problems with LFE here. HDMI or 5.1 analog connections. Dolby Digital-Plus or Dolby Digital. The "Ratchet Jump Flip" shook the house with my 2 Velodyne 10" DLS subs.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:32 AM

The only LFE problem I had with Transformers is the shockwave at the base in the beginning. Other than that, like stated example Ratchet jump flip was insanely effective to the point the kids got scared.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Threadcrapping has made this thread useless.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Old 06-09-2008, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Nah, it will sell a few copies but nothing to get excited about. Remember, Blu-ray already has quite a library of Pointless, Over the top, made for 14 year-olds, popcorn movies to choose from well before this title was announced. I mean just look at like half the blu-ray titles out there.... BARF!

hehehehehe

Old 06-09-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinKzo View Post

The only LFE problem I had with Transformers is the shockwave at the base in the beginning. Other than that, like stated example Ratchet jump flip was insanely effective to the point the kids got scared.

Yeah... the shockwave was like that in theaters too. I remember wondering why it was so quiet, I had forgotten about it later though as the rest of the movie sounded great.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 489
thank you

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle