Genesis cancel blu-ray concert disc release - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 06-07-2008, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I'm a huge Genesis fan and have been looking forward to a blu-ray release of their brand new concert, When in Rome, which was shot in high definition last year, in front of an audience of 500,000.

The concert had originally been billed to be released on DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray, but both HD version have been ditched, with it only now being released on standard DVD. This seems like a massive mistake.

I've started an online petition to see what the level of feeling is out there, as it's something to show to Genesis management. Hopefully their minds can be changed, as Genesis were always a band to embrace new technologies. I suspect that EMI have a big hand in the decision.

Cheers guys

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-07-2008, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
It's most likely a budget decision. There is no HDM disc market yet. At least it was shot in HD so there can be a BD release down the road.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 37 Old 06-07-2008, 06:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Your best way to show them is to not buy the SD dvd. I have not purchased a SD dvd now for almost 3 years!

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #4 of 37 Old 06-07-2008, 08:08 AM

Damn, I was looking forward to this as well. It was going to be my first concert purchase (Besides the Robbie Williams Live at the Albert I bought as a Christmas present for someone) in HD. Oh well, they pitched all the songs down so Phil could still sing them anyway,
post #5 of 37 Old 06-07-2008, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
The band may have seen themselves in HD and realized that it does not flatter older artists.

Do you really want to count (or try to count) Phil Collins' remaining hairs? You'll likely get just ear and nose hair..
post #6 of 37 Old 06-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

The band may have seen themselves in HD and realized that it does not flatter older artists.

Do you really want to count (or try to count) Phil Collins' remaining hairs? You'll likely get just ear and nose hair..

LOL, good point. I'd rather have SD of concerts 35 or so years ago, anyway.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #7 of 37 Old 06-07-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

If they have some film footage of back when they were in their prime that could be remastered for BD I would be all over it.
post #8 of 37 Old 06-07-2008, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain View Post

If they have some film footage of back when they were in their prime that could be remastered for BD I would be all over it.

Gabriel would probably tie it up, just like he's tying up the release of the final box set.
post #9 of 37 Old 06-07-2008, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

VH-1 is showing part of the Rome concert tonight.
post #10 of 37 Old 06-09-2008, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I would much rather get a Blu-ray copy of Genesis Hi-Def Live from 1992's tour than a show from last year. The Laser Disc (from Japan) of Hi-Def Live looks fantastic. I also have a DVD of it that I have not watched, but a Blu-ray release is what we need.

There was a brief mention of a D-VHS release of this show being considered, and I would have bought a D-VHS player for that one tape...

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #11 of 37 Old 06-09-2008, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Gabriel would probably tie it up, just like he's tying up the release of the final box set.

Is that what's going on with the final Rhino boxset? Maybe he wants to re-record all of his vocals... I rather enjoyed the first boxset, especially the remixes of Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering. Not enough to throw out the original versions since they have far better dynamic range without all the clipping, but it was fascinating to hear them with a new modern-style aggressive mix.

It's a shame the Blu-ray was cancelled, but it's an even bigger shame that Gabriel did not agree to participate in the tour as he was apparently asked join - that would've been great to see.
post #12 of 37 Old 06-10-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Squid View Post

I rather enjoyed the first boxset, especially the remixes of Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering. Not enough to throw out the original versions since they have far better dynamic range without all the clipping, but it was fascinating to hear them with a new modern-style aggressive mix.

For me, the boxsets have been worth it just for the special features and the new mixes of Genesis (Shapes) and Invisible Touch, both of which had relatively poor CD releases. Most of the other mixes haven't been as good as the 94 remasters, but the bonus features on every disc are amazing.

I can't wait for the remixed Gabriel albums, so I can finally enjoy the Musical Box (One of my favourite Genesis songs) without Peter's vocal sounding so faint at the end, which drags down the impact.
post #13 of 37 Old 06-10-2008, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

It's probably because they are far too old to understand the concept of Blu-Ray. This si why they will forever be has beens.

The format wars are over Primal, you lose - Megatron from Beast Machines (partially)

So long HD-DVD, I will miss you no matter how much I complained about Combo Discs.
post #14 of 37 Old 06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Squid View Post

Is that what's going on with the final Rhino boxset? Maybe he wants to re-record all of his vocals... I rather enjoyed the first boxset, especially the remixes of Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering. Not enough to throw out the original versions since they have far better dynamic range without all the clipping, but it was fascinating to hear them with a new modern-style aggressive mix.

It's a shame the Blu-ray was cancelled, but it's an even bigger shame that Gabriel did not agree to participate in the tour as he was apparently asked join - that would've been great to see.

The new stereo mixes are horribly compressed, but the surround mixes are very interesting. The SACD's are better than the DVD-A"s.

Rumors are that the release of the last boxset is being held up to coincide with an announcement of Gabriel and the rest of the band doing something together. It was supposed to be happening in the fall.

But you know how rumors are and Gabriel is notoriously slow in doing anything.
post #15 of 37 Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

For all I care, they could keep the video in standard definition as long as we got DTS-HD MA (or equivalent) for the surround track and LPCM for stereo. For a band who still embraces SACD so well, it's almost surprising. I can't imagine BD is trailing that far behind SACD in terms of sales!
post #16 of 37 Old 06-11-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Rumors are that the release of the last boxset is being held up to coincide with an announcement of Gabriel and the rest of the band doing something together. It was supposed to be happening in the fall.

But you know how rumors are and Gabriel is notoriously slow in doing anything.

God, that'd be amazing. If Gabriel came back, then Hackett would probably be in-tow, meaning the best Genesis line-up would be back together again. *DROOOOL*
post #17 of 37 Old 06-11-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails View Post

God, that'd be amazing. If Gabriel came back, then Hackett would probably be in-tow, meaning the best Genesis line-up would be back together again. *DROOOOL*

I did some checking around-
Hackett said he won't come back w/o Gabriel. Gabriel hasn't ruled out doing something with the band but nothing is planned as of now.

Another rumor said Gabriel is holding up the box set because he didn't like the surround mixes on Lamb.

At this point I wouldn't hold my breath for anything to happen.
post #18 of 37 Old 06-18-2008, 05:11 PM

Do we know for sure that there is no Blu-Ray disc coming out for this show? They filmed the whole friggin tour in HD!

I will not buy this until its in Blu-Ray. WTF can 'they' be thinking? 'They' meaning the promoters and media blokes, not the band. Tony and Mike aren't making this call you can guarantee that.
post #19 of 37 Old 06-18-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairlessheart View Post

Hi

I'm a huge Genesis fan and have been looking forward to a blu-ray release of their brand new concert, When in Rome, which was shot in high definition last year, in front of an audience of 500,000.

The concert had originally been billed to be released on DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray, but both HD version have been ditched, with it only now being released on standard DVD. This seems like a massive mistake.

I've started an online petition to see what the level of feeling is out there, as it's something to show to Genesis management. Hopefully their minds can be changed, as Genesis were always a band to embrace new technologies. I suspect that EMI have a big hand in the decision.

Cheers guys

Doug

Where's your petition? I will sign.
post #20 of 37 Old 06-19-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

It's probably because they are far too old to understand the concept of Blu-Ray. This si why they will forever be has beens.

Just what we need, geriatrics in BD..
post #21 of 37 Old 06-19-2008, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviman33 View Post

Snide remarks aside, their lighting and visuals would be great HD fair. Basically stage sets that none of the younger artists today could even hope to afford and tour with.

http://www.bobsilver.co.uk/blog/uplo...265-716827.jpg

I quite enjoy the large shows. Try to curtail your propensity to jump on the bandwagon and you might even enjoy some of this stuff.

EDIT ADD ON: OK, maybe not enjoy it, maybe just appreciate. As a fan of Genesis, I realize they really aren't for everyone. The tempo changes, tons of notes going everywhere, and odd meters can be off putting. I guess I just view age as a strange reason to discredit someone if they're still good at what they do...
post #22 of 37 Old 06-20-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:

Yes Live at Montreaux and Deep Purple Live at Montreaux are both good blu ray discs.

post #23 of 37 Old 06-20-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, I got the SD version (my favourite band--I'll double dip). To those who suggest not buying the SD version will spur a BD release--unlikely. If the SD version sells below their expectations, they will conclude that a BD really wasn't worth the extra expense rather than conclude "the fans" are waiting for the BD.
post #24 of 37 Old 06-20-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Snide remarks aside, their lighting and visuals would be great HD fair. Basically stage sets that none of the younger artists today could even hope to afford and tour with.

I quite enjoy the large shows. Try to curtail your propensity to jump on the bandwagon and you might even enjoy some of this stuff.

EDIT ADD ON: OK, maybe not enjoy it, maybe just appreciate. As a fan of Genesis, I realize they really aren't for everyone. The tempo changes, tons of notes going everywhere, and odd meters can be off putting. I guess I just view age as a strange reason to discredit someone if they're still good at what they do...

I'm a musician and long time fan of rock, jazz & classical music. There's nothing I don't understand about Genesis music. It's just my opinion that this is mediocrity at its finest, and the band is over the hill and lost what little spark they once had.
post #25 of 37 Old 06-20-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post

To those who suggest not buying the SD version will spur a BD release--unlikely. If the SD version sells below their expectations, they will conclude that a BD really wasn't worth the extra expense rather than conclude "the fans" are waiting for the BD.

Exactly.
post #26 of 37 Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I'm a musician and long time fan of rock, jazz & classical music. There's nothing I don't understand about Genesis music. It's just my opinion that this is mediocrity at its finest, and the band is over the hill and lost what little spark they once had.

Agreed!!!

And I'm not sure Phil's voice sounds as it did years ago because I don't think that he can hear very well today.

Also, I think that If they were going for the highest quality sound on the recording (and most people don't care) they would go to the studio.

One more rant..... I really hope that Peter isn't riding that bike on stage to create a drab show as it was (that was the only part that I saw)

Espo77
post #27 of 37 Old 06-20-2008, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe I should put it this way.

"Just what we need, more jazz music on BD."

How could I glean that you like classic rock, jazz, and classical music from your first comment? Let alone that you were talking only about Genesis when you said it. Most people will read it and think, "He doesn't like any dinosaur rock."

Just sayin'.
post #28 of 37 Old 06-20-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Sounds like you are talking about Jazz music above. ^

Funny thing...... all along you have been listining to more Jazz than you thought!

Espo77
post #29 of 37 Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

When you're the odd man out in a thread of fans, you need to work harder to spread an unpopular opinion. And one of the above messages didn't do it for me. What can I say?
post #30 of 37 Old 06-20-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Sounds like you are talking about Jazz music above. ^

Funny thing...... all along you have been listining to more Jazz than you thought!

I'm talking about his original statement, not mine. You know that. There's a gap missing here. Now reasoning like Phil's hearing affecting his vocals... that IS a valid reason. It's knowledgeable and valid. That I like.

EDIT ADD ON: You know what... I just re-read this thread. I'm sounding pissy and argumentative. I think I should lighten up.

(And here's the cliff notes for other reasons not to like them)

1 - No new music since '92. (CAS doesn't count)

2 - Dropping the pitch of the songs

3 - Ticket prices!

4 - Wal-mart!

5 - What the hell? You're still doing that lame introduction to Domino?!

6 - Medleys?! You said everyone hated them on the We Can't Dance Tour and you're doing it anyway?

7 - SACDs. Overcompressed. 'Nuff said.

Weird thing is... even with all that, I found the 07 show a totally entertaining proposition. Go figure.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page