thanks, got it for $31 shipped!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 100 Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tempting....I loved this movie as a kid, but for $31 with no extras.... hmmm.
post #33 of 100 Old 06-10-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I enjoyed this when I was a kid and now I can pass the enjoyment to my kids in HD fashion.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #34 of 100 Old 06-12-2008, 01:39 PM

Just placed my order at xploited, can't wait to get it.

Dts at 1.5 isn't bad, I'm sure it will sound pretty great.
post #35 of 100 Old 06-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Even if it was 7.1 DTS MA I don't think it would really matter. As I have seen from some older films, a movie can only get so much from high def audio if the original source is very lacking. DTS 1.5 is fine for this old of a movie. A great re-mastering of the source to improve the video is the key, I think.
post #36 of 100 Old 06-13-2008, 09:12 AM

I purchased this disc a few days ago and I'm pretty happy with it. I have to say though that this disc will probably only please fans of the film with its presentation. On the whole it's somewhat disappointing.

As far as I can see the presentation is very true to the original source. There is no sign of DNR or EE, and grain is present throughout the film. The image is colourful and sharp, although some images can be very soft. The overall presentation suffers somewhat due to the extensive use of matte backgrounds, which will probably prevent the film from ever looking sharper in those places. There is little to none 3D-pop, the image has an overall flat look to it.

The source used, however, is very dirty. Throughout the entire film specks and hairs are clearly visible, eventhough they seem to magically disappear in some scenes. It's certainly distracting at times. The film would definitely look better if properly remastered.

The 5.1 DTS track is pretty good, with clear dialogues and beautiful surround use of the great music score.

If you are a big fan of the film, you would probably want to purchase this disc. If you are not, I suggest you give it a rent or wait for a better release.
If I'd have to rate it according to the tier-thread, it would probably be a top Tier 4.

I'm going to contact Dutch Film Works about the origins of the source and hear their opinion, since this disc could have been much better. The film definitely deserves better quality.
post #37 of 100 Old 06-16-2008, 12:25 PM

Got my copy today, popped it in to see how it looked. Overall I am satisfied but there does appear to be some macroblocking. Seems strange because the bitrate hovered around 30mbps vc-1. Maybe a source issue. If you are a fan of the movie I think you will enjoy this disc but be prepared for a double dip.
post #38 of 100 Old 06-17-2008, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just arrived today (8 Days from DVDWinkel.nl). Will watch it later tonight-

post #39 of 100 Old 06-20-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsRoz View Post

As far as I can see the presentation is very true to the original source. There is no sign of DNR or EE, and grain is present throughout the film. The image is colourful and sharp, although some images can be very soft. The overall presentation suffers somewhat due to the extensive use of matte backgrounds, which will probably prevent the film from ever looking sharper in those places. There is little to none 3D-pop, the image has an overall flat look to it.

The 5.1 DTS track is pretty good, with clear dialogues and beautiful surround use of the great music score.

Got through watching this and agree with these parts of your impressions. It is definetly the best it has looked as I pulled out my DVD copy to compare against. The remastered DTS 5.1 track also is also a *huge* step above the DD 2.0 track on the DVD, especially when the rock biter is eating and the rocks drop to the ground

Could of been better but so be it. Happy to add this to my collection as I doubt we will see this soon in the US and I can remove yet another DVD from my collection
post #40 of 100 Old 06-20-2008, 04:40 PM

Let us have a review when you get it.
post #41 of 100 Old 06-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I got mine this week and did a quick comparison to the DVD. As others have said, it's certainly more detailed but the print is not as clean as it could be. The color timing and brightness vary wildly compared to the DVD on a scene-by-scene basis. An interesting effect of the extra detail is that it makes some of the edges between matte paintings and live elements a lot more visible, to the point of distraction in a few scenes.

Here are some screenshots. Note that these are not true digital captures; I just played both the BD and DVD to a 1080p LCD panel and shot some pictures of the screen from a tripod. There is lossy compression and CCD noise (and a few stuck pixels) in the camera, so these are not 100% representative of how good it looked in person. But it should give some idea of what to expect if you're on the fence about ordering it.

The background images are from the BD and scaled down nearly by half to make them easier to post here. The insets show how the BD clearly has more fine detail than the DVD:

This is just part of a frame, scaled pretty much 1:1 to 1080p pixels. In addition to the detail, you can see the dramatic color difference that some scenes have:

post #42 of 100 Old 06-21-2008, 12:37 AM

I think this is about as good of a transfer as one could expect for this title. Looks pretty nice.
post #43 of 100 Old 06-21-2008, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

dododge- Nice comparison.
post #44 of 100 Old 06-21-2008, 06:19 AM

I just ordered a copy from Tony! Thanks for the heads up and for the reviews guys!

I loved this movie as a child.
post #45 of 100 Old 06-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

wow not much of an improvement...i;'ll until it's remastered.
post #46 of 100 Old 06-21-2008, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post

dododge- Nice comparison.

I agree, and this is how DVD Beaver should be doing it if they don't have the bandwidth for full 1920x1080 shots.
post #47 of 100 Old 06-22-2008, 12:20 AM

i was just asking about this over at blu-ray.com

great post thanks guys... think ill grab it
post #48 of 100 Old 06-22-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

First some more pics of the case (though Spizz is much better at photography than me).

I got my order from www.vanleest.nl (18.49 shipped) in 10 business days, not bad at all considering Canada Post. As I said it was confusing how I should enter my address. If I put everything into the proper fields it appeared like this:

Mr. Pink
Fake St 10
Postal code City
Canada

So I put "10" as the street name, "Fake St" as the house number, "City, AB" as the postal code, and the postal code as the city, so that everything appeared correctly formatted on the order confirmation page. Instead the shipping label came like:

Mr. Pink
City Postal code
Canada

Someone at the post office circled the postal code and handwrote to "try" my street. Good on them for getting it to me. Next time I'll just give them all the info how they want it and let them format as they see fit...

Either the WM11 decoder has issues with this VC-1 or AnyDVD is doing something screwy. No problem playing it with PowerDVD or the PS3 but through DirectShow it kept alternating between a mess of picture + green blocks, and perfect decoding which made grabbing shots a pain.

Anyway, my direct screengrabs: The Neverending Story - Blu-ray Screenshots

I included one of dododge's frames to show how it really looks. (seriously though, nice comparison ) I also got as close as I could to two of the frames from DVDBeaver's German DVD comparison. Looks like the BD uses the same coloring as the last shot of each set.

Quote from my stats/thoughts page:
Quote:

The disc opens with a strangely entertaining Dutch copyright notice. Moving text over a trippy CGI animation with a techno track playing! All studios should put such effort into their copyright vids if they're going to force us to watch them.

Average video bitrate is 27.91Mbps. According to the PS3, it went as high as 40Mbps, and oddly the entire white-on-black end credits sequence was 30+Mbps until the fade to black when it finally dropped to the kbps range.

It's tough to give a sense of this using single screenshots, but this movie has the most white and black speckles of any transfer I personally have ever seen. Normally I'm not bothered by these things as they remind me of watching films at a theater, but they appear practically every second of this transfer and were distracting at times. If you can get past that, this release looks pretty good (and pretty grainy).

Looks like full 1080p detail in the downscale comparison shot, surprisingly enough. Some of the tiny lines in the sand disappear in the 720p downres. Also note how the 480p mutates the white specks to be larger than they should be...

Phew...
post #49 of 100 Old 06-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

I included one of dododge's frames to show how it really looks.

Excellent. As shown in the 0-10-09 shot, the newspaper was clearly readable on the screen in person. My camera just didn't pick it up very well.

The 0-53-27 is a good one for comparison with the DVD -- I noticed when I was doing my compare that the character's hair/beard is much more detailed on the BD. Unfortunately my camera's sensor seems to get super-noisy after it's been left on for a while, and all of my images after the first 15 minutes or so were no good for showing anything.

Quote:

this movie has the most white and black speckles of any transfer I personally have ever seen.

I agree. Tiny little spots that look almost like pixel dropouts, nearly all the time.
post #50 of 100 Old 06-23-2008, 08:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
That means they took a dirty, uncleaned Interpositive or Internegative (forget which it would be) and duped it. That results in those white specs, which would look black if projected from the original. I know I am only describing this half right so maybe someone with more actual film experience can jump in here.

I'm betting we will see massive amounts of DVNR applied to the domestic BD, unless the transfer they have at Warner is different from what was used overseas.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #51 of 100 Old 08-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

I just ordered this bluray disk from e-bay @ $27.00+shipping> I hope it is region free as stated also, which I assume can be played on North American bluray players also. I don't see it coming to North America anytime soon> as the Film "The Crow" has been availble in Europe on bluray for almost a year now, with no signs it will be availble here in north america any time soon.

Has anyone from Canada bought this movie yet? Does it work on North American bluray players?
post #52 of 100 Old 08-31-2008, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm in Canada with a US PS3 and it plays fine... Region Free means Region Free.
post #53 of 100 Old 08-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm in Canada with a US PS3 and it plays fine... Region Free means Region Free.

Yeah, but it just sucks that the special feature are SD PAL.
I like my HD-DVD imports way better just because THEY ARE ALL REGION FREE and extras are playable in any players... When will Sony understand that?
post #54 of 100 Old 09-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Good to hear that it's playable on North American blurays, I might just pick up The Crow bluray also, which isn't the best bluray transfer either but probably has better image focus overall compared to the Best SD transfer> Too bad no features are playable here, but I don't always checkout the features on disks either. Anyone know of any other HD or Bluray Movie Titles that arn't available in North-America?
post #55 of 100 Old 09-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz View Post

Anyone know of any other HD or Bluray Movie Titles that arn't available in North-America?

There's a lot!

I own:

The illusionist BD (Italian)
The Brotherwood of the Wolf HD (UK)
King Kong HD (1976) (French)
Terminator 2 Steelbox HD (German)
The Machinist HD (Japanese)
Elephant Man HD (French)

Just check Xploited.com to find out more.
post #56 of 100 Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz View Post

Good to hear that it's playable on North American blurays, I might just pick up The Crow bluray also, which isn't the best bluray transfer either but probably has better image focus overall compared to the Best SD transfer>

I don't think The Crow will play in a North American player since it's 1080i50.

Or maybe it will, but your TV has to support it.
post #57 of 100 Old 09-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't think The Crow will play in a North American player since it's 1080i50.

Or maybe it will, but your TV has to support it.

Ya it is a Region B bluray, but from the research I've done of this forum, my Lg player can have the eprom values changed to play region B blurays etc.

Anyone heard if Raiders Of The Lost Ark has any bluray release times?
post #58 of 100 Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I didn't even know it was region locked. I was referring to the video standard which your player must be able to output and your TV must be able to display. Most in North America will only do 24 and 60 Hz, not 50.
post #59 of 100 Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 PM

I have a conventional Dolby stereo version; I'm puzzled as to why Warner didn't get hold of the exclusive 70mm six-track Dolby stereo as it does exist. I'm guesing it would be format 42 with twin baby boom or twin sub bass channels.

Die Unedliche Geschichte (The Neverending Story)
6 Track Dolby Stereo
http://www.in70mm.com/library/process/dolby/index.htm

NeverEnding Story, The Technovision July 20 (USA) 6-Track Dolby Stereo Warner Bros. US 70mm release unconfirmed. Title is listed in the book Wide Screen Movies. Originally released in West Germany (possibly in 70mm) as Die Geschichte Unedliche
http://www.in70mm.com/library/blow_up/year/1984.htm
post #60 of 100 Old 02-19-2009, 02:25 PM

MS, the Neverending Story is not locked. It was released for Region B, but is one of the many "unlocked" discs. I played this fine on an unmodded Region A BD30K by Panasonic. As a HUGE fan of this film, the quality, for me was very disappointing, however.

See here for "unlocked" status:

http://blurayregioncodes.com/index.php?region=b
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page