Film Reference and Analysis - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1897 Old 07-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^^First blood 2 not just DNR but really inconsistent PQ throughout, to me it was a worse transfer than FB:1. Rambo3 is the best of bunch in term of PQ , but DNR is still noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1897 Old 07-14-2008, 05:08 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

I don't think The Cowboys is on Blu Ray yet so won't add it to the DNRed to death list.

Also i nominate Sunshine.....Enjoyable movie with an interesting cast that i believe retains it's original cinematic look for Blu Ray with no excessive EE or DNR or any other problems in sight.

The Cowboys is on Blu-Ray. I bought it for my hubby, but he hasn't watched it yet, so I can't comment on the DNR.

I second the nomination for Sunshine.

46" Sony LCD 1080P- BDP-300S Blu-Ray player- Onkyo 605 a/v
viewing from 5 feet

"Every man is a volume if you know how to read him. - William Ellery Channing
post #363 of 1897 Old 07-15-2008, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMorn View Post

The Cowboys is on Blu-Ray. I bought it for my hubby, but he hasn't watched it yet, so I can't comment on the DNR.

I second the nomination for Sunshine.

46" Sony LCD 1080P- BDP-300S Blu-Ray player- Onkyo 605 a/v
viewing from 5 feet

Welcome to the thread.....I'll add Sunshine to the main list.

As regards The Cowboys.....I'm not sure where to add that one as the HD DVD version may differ from the Blu Ray edition so i'll leave it for now.

One review mentions some light grain in the film so i would like to see a comparison between the HD DVD and Blu Ray editions if possible.
post #364 of 1897 Old 07-15-2008, 09:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
I finally was able to watch Batman Begins tonight. While I don't have a problem with this disc being on the list, I thought it did have a bit of a smooth, grain free look to the image devoid of very fine details I'm typically used to seeing on good 1080p discs. I couldn't help but think there was some DNR applied at some level - possibly in the master as some insiders have mentioned. The rest of film looked quite good (color rendition, contrast, shadows, etc).

I'm watching on an ISF'd 60" SXRD A3000 at about 8-9 feet back in a dark environment with a Panasonic BD30 at 1080p/24 .

post #365 of 1897 Old 07-15-2008, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookilook View Post

^^First blood 2 not just DNR but really inconsistent PQ throughout, to me it was a worse transfer than FB:1. Rambo3 is the best of bunch in term of PQ , but DNR is still noticeable.

I felt the total opposite. FB-1 is selectively DNR-ed period. The sequels exhibit very good but inconsistent PQ.

Quote from the review at dvdactive.

Quote:

Rambo II in particular uses soft focus, especially in the supposedly romantic scenes, and this makes the background look hazy and therefore more humid.

Blu-ray : 340
post #366 of 1897 Old 07-16-2008, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Oh good, There Will Be Blood is already on the list. I'm watching it for the first time tonight, and this disc looks amazing.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #367 of 1897 Old 07-17-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There Will be Blood looks very good, but there is some EE in it. Still belongs on the list though.

post #368 of 1897 Old 07-18-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How about the first Mummy movie? I'm debating whether to buy or rent these.

Some of the Blu-ray insiders at the blu-ray site implied they were smacked down by their employers for expressing their concerns about DNR, so my *guess* is it's all related. Maybe the studios in question are putting the squeeze on everyone afraid of negative PR regarding the format. (If the jackasses would just stop DNR'ing, it wouldn't be an issue!)

post #369 of 1897 Old 07-21-2008, 04:57 PM

Just watched it tonight, and I'm going to nominate the UK import of "Black Narcissus" by ITV. This is a gorgeous transfer that doesn't look like it has a lick of DNR or EE. Great detail and colours, especially for a 61 year old movie.

Have only just skimmed through them, but I'm assuming that the other imports I ordered (Bugsy Malone and Great Expectations) will also be nominated once I watch them all the way through.

All in all, ITV is doing a wonderful job at getting classic movies on Blu in a natural looking state. I've heard Boys from Brazil looks phenomenal as well!
post #370 of 1897 Old 07-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails View Post

Just watched it tonight, and I'm going to nominate the UK import of "Black Narcissus" by ITV. This is a gorgeous transfer that doesn't look like it has a lick of DNR or EE. Great detail and colours, especially for a 61 year old movie.

Have only just skimmed through them, but I'm assuming that the other imports I ordered (Bugsy Malone and Great Expectations) will also be nominated once I watch them all the way through.

All in all, ITV is doing a wonderful job at getting classic movies on Blu in a natural looking state. I've heard Boys from Brazil looks phenomenal as well!

I second this one. It's an incredible transfer and it should held up as an example of how film could and should be.
post #371 of 1897 Old 07-21-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'll add Black Narcissus to the main list.

Thanks guys for mentioning this one.
post #372 of 1897 Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

I m curious a sto what you guys think of dvdtalks review of "one Flew over the Cuckoo's nest"

Quote:

Even in 35mm screenings the picture tended to look grainy with unstable desaturated color, dirt and other signs of wear. Here Warner Home Video strikes just the right balance between cleaning the film up to a near-flawless state without overdoing the DNR.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/33995...-cuckoos-nest/
post #373 of 1897 Old 07-22-2008, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I watched Before the Devil Knows You're Dead last night. Very film like encode. I didn't see any signs of DNR and hardly any edge enhancement. Very fine film grain was noticable and detail and very good. Close up shots had crisp, fine details and the image in general had a natural look. There were a couple of scenes that had some aliasing, but very minor in the grand scheme of things.

Definitely a movie to add to the list.

post #374 of 1897 Old 07-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

This is way premature, but I think its safe to say The dark knight will have a spot here in the near future (If the transfer is near the Prologue). Which was simply prestine film like (Theatre was actually a bit too dark for me) grade-A stuff.
post #375 of 1897 Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I watched Before the Devil Knows You're Dead last night. Very film like encode. I didn't see any signs of DNR and hardly any edge enhancement. Very fine film grain was noticable and detail and very good. Close up shots had crisp, fine details and the image in general had a natural look. There were a couple of scenes that had some aliasing, but very minor in the grand scheme of things.

Definitely a movie to add to the list.

There's no film grain in "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" since its shot digital. For me the aliasing on this one is very strong at times and distracting. I have the UK disc but it seems to be the same transfer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #376 of 1897 Old 07-23-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:

How about the first Mummy movie? I'm debating whether to buy or rent these.

Some of the Blu-ray insiders at the blu-ray site implied they were smacked down by their employers for expressing their concerns about DNR, so my *guess* is it's all related. Maybe the studios in question are putting the squeeze on everyone afraid of negative PR regarding the format. (If the jackasses would just stop DNR'ing, it wouldn't be an issue!)

Just checked first 15 mins of Mummy, seems no apparent DNR used, and saw some grains.
post #377 of 1897 Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micnic77 View Post

There's no film grain in "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" since its shot digital.

Some filmmakers have added grain to their digital movies; I'm not sure if that's what happened here, but there is definitely grain in the image and it doesn't look like traditional compression artifacting or blocking.

post #378 of 1897 Old 07-23-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Some filmmakers have added grain to their digital movies; I'm not sure if that's what happened here, but there is definitely grain in the image and it doesn't look like traditional compression artifacting or blocking.

Are you sure it's not simply noise from the camera sensor? I haven't checked again but I don't remember it to be a noisy/grainy film (as in additional grain added). You could still be right of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #379 of 1897 Old 07-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

What's everyone's take on The Transporter?

To me its very mixed, some really detailed grain like movie scenes. While other scenes can be extremely noisy, and even DRN'ish. I'd not recommend but just like to see if that's the consensus.

Some better shots-

post #380 of 1897 Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

I only ever saw The Transporter on DVD....Ok movie but i'm not interested in a Blu Ray version ( since i already seen it and don't wanna collect it ) From what i remember some scenes looked very good for DVD.....Anyone who has it on Blu Ray would be most welcome to voice their opinion on it here.

Transporter 3 has i believe been announced.
post #381 of 1897 Old 07-23-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micnic77 View Post

Are you sure it's not simply noise from the camera sensor? I haven't checked again but I don't remember it to be a noisy/grainy film (as in additional grain added). You could still be right of course.

Some scenes had the grain, while many others didn't. Typically, film grain is very fine and runs in patterns in textures; sometimes you can even see a very slight bluish/greenish tint to it while other times not. I won't rule out video noise in this case. In all honesty, I didn't look that close at it. I would take a second look, but I sent it back to Netlfix already.

post #382 of 1897 Old 07-29-2008, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

After seeing proof on this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1053318 I have decided to remove The Mummy Returns from this list as clearly it can't be representative of the actual film version especially as the HD DVD edition has MORE detail.

It's still watchable for those interested in it but it can't be on a list like this.
post #383 of 1897 Old 07-30-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
It should be pointed out that the HD DVD has more detail in a few spots and the BD has more detail in others (most others by some reviews). The issue is that there is EE and DNR in both versions.

Brandon

Brandon 

post #384 of 1897 Old 07-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Like to cast another vote for The Rock.

I didn't see excessive DNR or EE, overall a quality transfer (Not prestine) since by pure coincident (pausing and slow-moing every min ) I did notice some artifacts. But for the purpose of this thread this one def. gets a green light from me.

Artifacts-
post #385 of 1897 Old 07-30-2008, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookilook View Post

Like to cast another vote for The Rock.

I didn't see excessive DNR or EE, overall a quality transfer (Not prestine) since by pure coincident (pausing and slow-moing every min ) I did notice some artifacts. But for the purpose of this thread this one def. gets a green light from me.

Artifacts-

That looks very good and its a film i really like...I'll add it to the list and probably go and buy it too.
post #386 of 1897 Old 07-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

That looks very good and its a film i really like...I'll add it to the list and probably go and buy it too.

Highly recommended! Actual PQ looks much better than my shaky hands and bad lighting able to reproduce. Should be able to get one for less than $19.00 just bout' everywhere.
post #387 of 1897 Old 07-31-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

post #388 of 1897 Old 07-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

A little disappointed at Top Gun

I think there were some DNR applied specially to the main characters i.e. Maveric, Charlie, Goose, and Iceman (at 1st I thought maybe because they were just young, but some scenes clearly shows pores, bumps..etc. So the DNR was applied but just not consistent?). On the other hand Viper's face showed prob. the most detail. I also noticed some very strange white dots/artifacts, maybe I need to stop pausing so much..

Overall its a upgrade from DVD, but the fact that some DNR exists mean this is not main list material..In my book.

Most detail-

Some detail-

DNR'ish-

post #389 of 1897 Old 07-31-2008, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well thats similar to what this thread is about....Maybe someone can persuade Robert A Harris to visit here....I think he should remove Dirty Dancing from his list though and First Blood ( No doubt he will in time )

We're also adding the ones to avoid here now.

As for Top Gun....No idea as it's an eighties movie...I think it was shot Super 35 and since it's Super 35 and the nineteen eighties i think there would be a lot more grain....Who knows though and maybe they went to Lowry for the transfer....I'll keep an open mind and maybe others can also pipe in on this and give an opinion.
post #390 of 1897 Old 08-01-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Hunt for Red October should be on the list. There appears to be very little or no DNR (none I could detect). Some shots are indeed much softer than others, but that's clearly source material or those specific shots. Film grain is always present and detail is good - actually very good at times. There is a very slight amount of EE in a few scenes, but not distracting at all.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page