Film Reference and Analysis - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 1897 Old 10-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
cnikirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

Added to the main list.....After seeing your screenshots i actually ordered this at the same time as Iron Man....Got Iron Man real fast but still waiting to take delivery of How The West Was Won.

Hey no fair, I nominated How the West was Won way back
cnikirk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 1897 Old 10-01-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
FoxyMulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnikirk View Post

Hey no fair, I nominated How the West was Won way back

Yah and i placed on the nomination list after that....These second votes get it placed onto the main list ( so don't worry i did notice your nomination )
FoxyMulder is offline  
post #543 of 1897 Old 10-01-2008, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AlexBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

What version of Terabithia did you watch ? UK like I did or US ?

Disney / Buena Vista US version
AlexBC is offline  
post #544 of 1897 Old 10-02-2008, 06:19 AM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Interesting, may be a different print Icon used. I will have to re-watch it
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #545 of 1897 Old 10-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Member
 
micnic77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yesterday I watched another rental I was very pleased with: The Bucket List
It appeared to me as a highly detailed and unprocessed image so I would like to nominate it.
micnic77 is offline  
post #546 of 1897 Old 10-09-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
FoxyMulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by micnic77 View Post

Yesterday I watched another rental I was very pleased with: The Bucket List
It appeared to me as a highly detailed and unprocessed image so I would like to nominate it.

Added to the nomination list and apologies for being so slow.
FoxyMulder is offline  
post #547 of 1897 Old 10-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Senior Member
 
No_U-Turn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

May be the only one nominating this for a while but Night Of The Living Dead UK disc is very film like and the best the movie has looked at home

I second NOTLD, watched the UK BD last night. Grain fully intact imo, no processing artefacts imo.

Note that as expected, this looks like you would expect a low-budget production to look like.

dooooooooooooooooooooooomed!
No_U-Turn is offline  
post #548 of 1897 Old 10-11-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
 
FoxyMulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_U-Turn View Post

I second NOTLD, watched the UK BD last night. Grain fully intact imo, no processing artefacts imo.

Note that as expected, this looks like you would expect a low-budget production to look like.

I will add it to the main list.
FoxyMulder is offline  
post #549 of 1897 Old 10-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Member
 
DangerousK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not ready to nominate it yet, but I've watched maybe 30 mins or so of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and it appears to be a faithful reproduction of what I saw in the theater. Grain structure seems to be intact for the most part, and I haven't noticed any DNR or artificial crap thrown in.
DangerousK is offline  
post #550 of 1897 Old 10-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Member
 
micnic77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another candidate for the Digital Camera Film List: Superbad
The encode is flawless with no visible filtering. But the qualitiy seems to be inrelevant for this list, is it?

And in adition to this I want to nominate Ironman since no one bothered to do so. As already known the movie looks amazing.
micnic77 is offline  
post #551 of 1897 Old 10-15-2008, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
 
FoxyMulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by micnic77 View Post

Another candidate for the Digital Camera Film List: Superbad
The encode is flawless with no visible filtering. But the qualitiy seems to be inrelevant for this list, is it?

And in adition to this I want to nominate Ironman since no one bothered to do so. As already known the movie looks amazing.

Yah i'll second the nomination for Ironman and move it to the main list.
FoxyMulder is offline  
post #552 of 1897 Old 10-18-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gremmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I realize that I may have to give up my "man card," but here's a nomination for Sex in the City. I thought this was one of the best looking movies since Spiderman 3. In particular, the colors were outstanding, flesh colors nicely balanced, contrast superb, film grain and fine detail intact. Aside from the side-shot of Dante's wanker (which I could really have done without) the flick looked great.

The fact that my wife made me watch it should entitle me to keep my man card, Dante's wanker or no. LOL.
gremmy is offline  
post #553 of 1897 Old 10-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Senior Member
 
BerserkerTails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't think anyone's done it yet, but I'm nominating Sleeping Beauty. Just watch this tonight and was SUPER amazed by how great it looked. I'm not even going to try to figure otu how Disney did it, but they cleaned up the movie gooood, and even though its crystal clean looking, it never looks digital.
BerserkerTails is offline  
post #554 of 1897 Old 10-19-2008, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Oliver Klohs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Posts: 2,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy View Post

The fact that my wife made me watch it should entitle me to keep my man card, Dante's wanker or no. LOL.


Your wife could make you watch it ? Your are digging a deeper and deeper hole for yourself
Oliver Klohs is offline  
post #555 of 1897 Old 10-19-2008, 05:21 AM
Member
 
hastic plank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i don't know if anyone else has (seen) it, but the german blu-ray of Chinjeolhan geumjassi (Sympathy for Lady Vengeance) looks very, very good. it doesn't have english subtitles though so i guess that's a big put-off for most non-htpc folks.

it's a ~17.5mbit vc1 transfer which is miles ahead the oldboy bd in terms of detail, though the lack of detail in oldboy is probably master-related. it's also sharp as a tack without any intrusive ee and not even a hint of dnr.

i haven't watched it through yet but have checked it out extensively and it has a ton of fine grain which seems to stay intact nicely. i did see a couple scenes where the grain does fall apart a bit but that's a minor fault given how gorgeous it looks the rest of the time.

all in all, e-m-s did a very fine job on it, and the quality of the transfer is only surpassed by the quality of the movie
hastic plank is offline  
post #556 of 1897 Old 10-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Member
 
hastic plank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
a couple screens from the lady vengeance bd



direct caps, not camera shots
hastic plank is offline  
post #557 of 1897 Old 10-19-2008, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
 
FoxyMulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy View Post

I realize that I may have to give up my "man card," but here's a nomination for Sex in the City.

The fact that my wife made me watch it should entitle me to keep my man card, Dante's wanker or no. LOL.

I used to watch the series on television....Enjoyed it too...I'll add it to the nomination list.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails View Post

I don't think anyone's done it yet, but I'm nominating Sleeping Beauty. Just watch this tonight and was SUPER amazed by how great it looked. I'm not even going to try to figure otu how Disney did it, but they cleaned up the movie gooood, and even though its crystal clean looking, it never looks digital.

We don't have a list for animated titles....I do have this one coming though...I'll enjoy it as i like Disney but i am concerned about the way they scrub all the film like elements away from their older releases and indeed even newer releases like Nightmare Before Christmas in order to make them look like crystal new and grain free and in the process alter the color timings ( yes i know how they do it and why they do it but it still concerns me a little and i sometimes wonder if they should try to keep it film like as it would have had a very fine grain structure at the cinema ) Anyways thats for another thread as this one doesn't do animated titles.

Check out these places where you will see some are less happy with the transfer and how the original work has been altered...

http://forums.goldenagecartoons.com/...t=11953&page=4

http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/




Quote:
Originally Posted by hastic plank View Post

i don't know if anyone else has (seen) it, but the german blu-ray of Chinjeolhan geumjassi (Sympathy for Lady Vengeance) looks very, very good. it doesn't have english subtitles though so i guess that's a big put-off for most non-htpc folks.

i haven't watched it through yet but have checked it out extensively and it has a ton of fine grain which seems to stay intact nicely. i did see a couple scenes where the grain does fall apart a bit but that's a minor fault given how gorgeous it looks the rest of the time.

I'll add it to the minor issues list....Have made a comment that in a few scenes there is minor noise reduction with regards to the scenes where the grain falls apart....If you know the technical term for whats happening with this release let me know i'll change the wording.


I will also add a second vote for Concordes German release of Silent Hill and add to the main list....One of the most detailed releases out there.
FoxyMulder is offline  
post #558 of 1897 Old 10-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Member
 
hastic plank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it's not really noise reduction but rather that the transfer fails to retain the grain.. probably due to insufficient bitrate
hastic plank is offline  
post #559 of 1897 Old 10-19-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gremmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

Your wife could make you watch it ? Your are digging a deeper and deeper hole for yourself

I guess I could rephrase that to say that I "chose" to watch it as a courtesy to my lovely wife, who is always willing to watch whatever movie I happen to put in my Blockbuster queue.
gremmy is offline  
post #560 of 1897 Old 10-19-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rob Tomlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremmy View Post

I realize that I may have to give up my "man card," but here's a nomination for Sex in the City. I thought this was one of the best looking movies since Spiderman 3. In particular, the colors were outstanding, flesh colors nicely balanced, contrast superb, film grain and fine detail intact. Aside from the side-shot of Dante's wanker (which I could really have done without) the flick looked great.

The fact that my wife made me watch it should entitle me to keep my man card, Dante's wanker or no. LOL.

Hehe.

I watched it last night with my wife as well. The movie wasn't really what I was expecting overall. It wasn't terrible (but not great either).

In any event, I agree with your comments on the PQ. Very natural and, yes, "film like".

I will second your nomination.....even if it means that I too must give up my "man card".
Rob Tomlin is offline  
post #561 of 1897 Old 10-19-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
 
FoxyMulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Hehe.

I watched it last night with my wife as well. The movie wasn't really what I was expecting overall. It wasn't terrible (but not great either).

In any event, I agree with your comments on the PQ. Very natural and, yes, "film like".

I will second your nomination.....even if it means that I too must give up my "man card".

You are actually comfortable with your sexuality if you admit it so you are more of a man now

I'll add it to the main list.
FoxyMulder is offline  
post #562 of 1897 Old 10-20-2008, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
42041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
i was looking at blu-ray.com's reviews, and noticed this on their review of "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad"...
http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/681_2_large.jpg
ive never seen this movie and have no idea what its supposed to look like, but that looks like an unfortunate amount of edge enhancement ringing around the monster's shoulder... blech
(and predictably, not a mention of it in the review)
42041 is offline  
post #563 of 1897 Old 10-21-2008, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
 
FoxyMulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

i was looking at blu-ray.com's reviews, and noticed this on their review of "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad"...
http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/681_2_large.jpg
ive never seen this movie and have no idea what its supposed to look like, but that looks like an unfortunate amount of edge enhancement ringing around the monster's shoulder... blech
(and predictably, not a mention of it in the review)

That might just be part of the optical process and not EE....In a lot of those films they used back projection type screens where the actor is in the foreground and maybe it's not EE ( I don't know but just guessing )
FoxyMulder is offline  
post #564 of 1897 Old 10-21-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,223
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

That might just be part of the optical process and not EE....In a lot of those films they used back projection type screens where the actor is in the foreground and maybe it's not EE ( I don't know but just guessing )

You're absolutely right. That doesn't look like edge enhancement caused by electronic sharpening. It looks like color fringing caused by the old-fashioned blue screen compositing.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is online now  
post #565 of 1897 Old 10-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Member
 
DangerousK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

You're absolutely right. That doesn't look like edge enhancement caused by electronic sharpening. It looks like color fringing caused by the old-fashioned blue screen compositing.

It's definitely not edge enhancement.

You can see the outline is blue.
DangerousK is offline  
post #566 of 1897 Old 10-21-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
42041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
that's good I guess. Some of the other shots look a bit suspect too, but I'm not familiar enough with old school cinema to know either way.
42041 is offline  
post #567 of 1897 Old 10-23-2008, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
 
FoxyMulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

You're absolutely right. That doesn't look like edge enhancement caused by electronic sharpening. It looks like color fringing caused by the old-fashioned blue screen compositing.

Thanks for piping in......I notice these things sometimes on a lot of old movies with stop motion backgrounds so i guess it's just part of the way they are filmed....I wonder if they have the technology to "clean that up" or whether it'll always be that way.
FoxyMulder is offline  
post #568 of 1897 Old 10-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
musick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
how is Eyes Wide Shut not on this list or discussed??!!
musick is offline  
post #569 of 1897 Old 10-25-2008, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
 
FoxyMulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by musick View Post

how is Eyes Wide Shut not on this list or discussed??!!

No ones nominated it yet.

Do you wish to nominate it ?
FoxyMulder is offline  
post #570 of 1897 Old 10-25-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AlexBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by musick View Post

how is Eyes Wide Shut not on this list or discussed??!!

Hum, maybe because it has plenty of DNR applied to it?
AlexBC is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off