Film Reference and Analysis - Page 51 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 1897 Old 08-14-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

The strings snapped, but I did a video, if you dont like it let me know and I will redo one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4BDLZRJC1g

Yah it's great.

I'll need to add more information to each title when i get some time this winter. That'll include adding more links to pics for each film as well as links to some reviews and maybe add a link to IMDB on how each film was shot and lenses used.

But yes i like it. We can always do a George Lucas and later on add the Team America puppets using CGI. Donations from all AVS members to complete this highly expensive task are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1897 Old 08-14-2009, 04:19 PM

Liked: 50
Glad you liked it, hope it gets the thread a few more hits
post #1503 of 1897 Old 08-15-2009, 05:59 AM

Repulsion (Criterion, US) - great transfer, nice grain structure, well detailed image
The Seventh Seal (Criterion, US) - in my opinion the best black-and-white transfer, wonderful grain structure, well detailed image

Although they are already on the list, I can confirm that Criterion's releases of "The 400 Blows" and "The Wages of Fear" look great. Criterion has done a great job with black-and-white classics so far.
post #1504 of 1897 Old 08-15-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:

I wasted 7min. watching this crap. Im not sure if your clip is more ridiculous or that stupid forum that you linked us to is.
Its obvious you know very little about grain or noise reduction and are not a compressionist or a telecine operator.
Lowry Digital in Burbank did the grain reduction on Star Trek, the same company that has been hired to do the restoration of the Apollo 11 footage!
Get a life!
I guess you or those idiots on that hobbyist board could have done better.

Got this posted on the video !
post #1505 of 1897 Old 08-15-2009, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The Hulk (Ang Lee) - This should be in the Minor Issues list despite the grain structure being in tact in most parts of the video.

1) Frequently popping black and white speckles exposing print damages.
2) Minor halos around high contrast outlines.

Bourne Identity - This should in the Not Recommended list as its transferred from a banged up film source exhibiting age and print damages. Only looks slightly better than DVD upscaled.

Blu-ray : 340
post #1506 of 1897 Old 08-16-2009, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

The Hulk (Ang Lee) - This should be in the Minor Issues list despite the grain structure being in tact in most parts of the video.

1) Frequently popping black and white speckles exposing print damages.
2) Minor halos around high contrast outlines.

Bourne Identity - This should in the Not Recommended list as its transferred from a banged up film source exhibiting age and print damages. Only looks slightly better than DVD upscaled.

I'll add The Hulk to the minor issues list.

I'll also add a negative with your recommendation and a link to your post for The Bourne Identity which is already on the minor issues list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpekt View Post

Repulsion (Criterion, US) - great transfer, nice grain structure, well detailed image
The Seventh Seal (Criterion, US) - in my opinion the best black-and-white transfer, wonderful grain structure, well detailed image

Although they are already on the list, I can confirm that Criterion's releases of "The 400 Blows" and "The Wages of Fear" look great. Criterion has done a great job with black-and-white classics so far.

Hi there and welcome to AVS Forums.

I'll add your nominations to the list and views on films already on the list are welcome.

Mike i added a post to the YouTube site but think i may have multiple posted it so if you can delete a post please do. I didn't see the guys comments regarding Lowry. I saw a first comment which said first comment but didn't actually see a comment. I am new to YouTube though so maybe i'm missing something there.
post #1507 of 1897 Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 AM

I deleted the f8ckers post
post #1508 of 1897 Old 08-16-2009, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I deleted the f8ckers post

I'm surprised he didn't get his buddies to come and spam you.

I'll add the video to the front page of the site.
post #1509 of 1897 Old 08-16-2009, 09:30 AM

Buddies ? I dont think a guy like that has friends
post #1510 of 1897 Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Buddies ? I dont think a guy like that has friends

They own several of the films which are in the major issues list. They probably feel like they have to justify their purchase rather than condemn it.

This happens a lot with people and indeed i have been guilty of it myself and on another thread i was trying to say The Golden Compass was probably filtered and smooth for it's cinema presentation to give it a Sky Captain look but thats just me trying to stop the disappointment i feel inside about what New Line did to the film for it's Blu Ray debut and it probably has suffered a little too much DNR.
post #1511 of 1897 Old 08-20-2009, 03:29 PM

Angel Heart - Main list, an old master used but nice grain structure slightly washed out may be intent.
EDIT now I have watched more I would say Major issues list, infact I think they are all poss upconverts

La Haine - Major Issues List
Near Dark - Major Issues List

Both have blocking and some Major EE (esp La Haine) both have DNR
post #1512 of 1897 Old 08-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Angel Heart - Main list, an old master used but nice grain structure slightly washed out may be intent.

La Haine - Major Issues List
Near Dark - Major Issues List

Both have blocking and some Major EE (esp La Haine) both have DNR

Agreed on LA HAINE. To be honest, if you told me it was an SD upconvert I'd almost believe you. It's not quite THAT bad, but it's pretty poor-looking all round.
post #1513 of 1897 Old 08-20-2009, 03:58 PM

There is somehting just off with the motion too,
I hope Criterion put out a disc
post #1514 of 1897 Old 08-20-2009, 06:00 PM

I'd like to add a second vote for The Seventh Seal and Repulsion. They look stunning, with the grain in full view.
post #1515 of 1897 Old 08-21-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nut bunnies View Post

I'd like to add a second vote for The Seventh Seal and Repulsion. They look stunning, with the grain in full view.

Thirded just for the heck of it.

And I agree with what was said earlier about The Seventh Seal, it's easily the best-looking black-and-white film on Blu-ray (at least the Criterion). The amount of resolved detail, the sharpness and the fine grain structure, all are ridiculously good.
post #1516 of 1897 Old 08-23-2009, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Placing The Seventh Seal and Repulsion on the main list. Also adding Near Dark and La Haine to the major issues list.

Mike can you let me know what the issues are with Angel Heart and what list you think it should be on.
post #1517 of 1897 Old 08-23-2009, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

For anyone interested i have started a Twitter page for this thread and i hope to advertise this forum and bad releases as well as great releases using Twitter and this thread. I have already started it with three tweets and mentioned Gladiator and linked to the Gladiator vs HDTV thread and of course linked to this thread.

Anyone who wants to join just needs to sign up for a Twitter account and add FilmGrainIsGood to their buddies list and of course i'll add you too.

Hopefully with Mikes YouTube and a Twitter page we can spread the word with this thread and help people make informed decisions on purchases and what to avoid.

Ultimately i think anything which gets the message across is good.
post #1518 of 1897 Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Well, after seeing Foxy's poll, I'd like to nominate Dr. Strangelove. Very filmlike.
post #1519 of 1897 Old 08-24-2009, 01:16 PM

Angel Heart is washed out and full or unatural lookging grain, maybe an upconvert
Major issues list

Also want to start the redemption of Black Hawk DownOne vote for the main list
post #1520 of 1897 Old 08-24-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Angel Heart is washed out and full or unatural lookging grain, maybe an upconvert
Major issues list

Also want to start the redemption of Black Hawk DownOne vote for the main list

I think someone else mentioned it looking like an upconvert. Gee what is Optimum doing with quality control as Escape from New York was proved to be an upconvert and They Live got cancelled because it was likely an upconvert and now this and La Haine.

Incidentally is the UK version the uncut edition of Angel Heart or the American R Rated print. ?

Ok what i'm going to do is put your vote against the two negatives. Basically your vote cancels one of the negatives out.

It needs three more to reach the main list but for now it'll stay on the minor issues list.

If anyone can think of a better way to do it then please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Well, after seeing Foxy's poll, I'd like to nominate Dr. Strangelove. Very filmlike.

Added the film to the nomination list.

Thanks for voting for it i appreciate you coming into the thread and taking your time to do it.
post #1521 of 1897 Old 08-24-2009, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one.
post #1522 of 1897 Old 08-24-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

I think someone else mentioned it looking like an upconvert. Gee what is Optimum doing with quality control as Escape from New York was proved to be an upconvert and They Live got cancelled because it was likely an upconvert and now this and La Haine.

Incidentally is the UK version the uncut edition of Angel Heart or the American R Rated print. ?

Ok what i'm going to do is put your vote against the two negatives. Basically your vote cancels one of the negatives out.

It needs three more to reach the main list but for now it'll stay on the minor issues list.

If anyone can think of a better way to do it then please let me know.

Added the film to the nomination list.

Thanks for voting for it i appreciate you coming into the thread and taking your time to do it.

I like the way it works and am cool with it
post #1523 of 1897 Old 08-25-2009, 03:58 AM

Some pretty bad EE on The New World

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...blu-ray_2x.jpg
post #1524 of 1897 Old 08-27-2009, 12:25 AM

A Battle of Wits (Deltamac) - major issues

Is this live action? I'm probably too forgiving when it comes to PQ, but this is approaching Salò/Gulliver's Travels territory. 2 hours and 10 minutes of DNR hell without letup. I don't really have any way of doing my own captures, but Blu-ray.com has some and they're quite representative (the reviewer amazingly gives it a 3/5 for video!). The colors are indeed very faded and this may well have been a conscious choice -- I didn't see it in theaters, so I have no basis for comparison -- but I don't believe for a second that Jacob Cheung deliberately went for this phony "digital watercolors" look. It just reeks of DNR gone amok.

Note that there is also a UK BD which I haven't seen and may or may not have the same issues -- my comments apply only to the Hong Kong release from Deltamac.
post #1525 of 1897 Old 08-29-2009, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Average View Post

A Battle of Wits (Deltamac) - major issues

Is this live action? I'm probably too forgiving when it comes to PQ, but this is approaching Salò/Gulliver's Travels territory. 2 hours and 10 minutes of DNR hell without letup. I don't really have any way of doing my own captures, but Blu-ray.com has some and they're quite representative (the reviewer amazingly gives it a 3/5 for video!). The colors are indeed very faded and this may well have been a conscious choice -- I didn't see it in theaters, so I have no basis for comparison -- but I don't believe for a second that Jacob Cheung deliberately went for this phony "digital watercolors" look. It just reeks of DNR gone amok.

Note that there is also a UK BD which I haven't seen and may or may not have the same issues -- my comments apply only to the Hong Kong release from Deltamac.

They used some of the same film stock that was used for the excellent Wanted and that had great image quality and a very thin layer of grain present. Different cameras used on that one though so one couldn't really make a fair comparison using film stock alone.

They had access to great film stock though but it looks washed out and lacking in contrast in the stills i see. I have had a few deltamac DVD's and some of them had that same washed out lacking in contrast look to the image. Perhaps others can comment on Deltamac as i'm sure some of their releases are excellent as well.

You have seen the film though so can you give me some more details on what you perceive as the issue. Could it be they are using a poor print for the transfer rather than just simple DNR as the image on the stills at Blu Ray.com look like a washed out print.

Let me know what you think and i'll add it to the lists.

Mike with regards The New World lets wait and see what others say rather than just going on the stills at DVD Beaver. Let me know if you have seen the film too.
post #1526 of 1897 Old 08-29-2009, 02:47 PM

I will nominate Blue Underground's "Bird With The Crystal Plumage" as a disc with a very authentic looking grain and film-like image. I know there's controversy over the sound, but that doesn't count against it here...?
post #1527 of 1897 Old 08-29-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norliss View Post

I will nominate Blue Underground's "Bird With The Crystal Plumage" as a disc with a very authentic looking grain and film-like image. I know there's controversy over the sound, but that doesn't count against it here...?

I'll add it to the nomination list.

Nah the sounds not an issue for this thread. The Audio Tier thread deals with sound quality for movies, music discs and television shows.

Thanks for popping in to give your view.
post #1528 of 1897 Old 08-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norliss View Post

Seconded... if I haven't nominated it already. A big thumbs-up for Blue Underground's TWO EVIL EYES while I'm at it.
post #1529 of 1897 Old 08-29-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I haven't really followed this thread much so apologies as I don't know the exact process.

Pulp Fiction (France) - Minor issues - There appears to be a relatively light application of DNR throughout, and the audio seems to suffer from pitch-up in my opinion.
Pulp Fiction (Denmark) - Major issues - Automated dirt and scratch removal that causes a lot of artifacts throughout the entire film if still frames are examined. Sometimes these are noticeable during playback, sometimes not. A somewhat heavier application of DNR is also in place.

I have a screenshot comparison for those two; not sure if you put those on your list or not. Eric.exe also posted some.

Some on the nomination list that I vote to put on the main list:
Crash - soft and grainy but I believe intentional
Heathers - maybe a bit soft but otherwise good
The Omega Man - grainy anamorphic print

Nominate:
Saw
Saw II

Major issues:
Saw III - DNR throughout

American Psycho is on two different lists. I assume the minor issues one is the Sony Australia release but I don't see any notation.

The Terminator is on the main list and the nomination list. Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding how you group things.
post #1530 of 1897 Old 08-29-2009, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

I haven't really followed this thread much so apologies as I don't know the exact process.

Pulp Fiction (France) - Minor issues - There appears to be a relatively light application of DNR throughout, and the audio seems to suffer from pitch-up in my opinion.
Pulp Fiction (Denmark) - Major issues - Automated dirt and scratch removal that causes a lot of artifacts throughout the entire film if still frames are examined. Sometimes these are noticeable during playback, sometimes not. A somewhat heavier application of DNR is also in place.

I have a screenshot comparison for those two; not sure if you put those on your list or not. Eric.exe also posted some.

Some on the nomination list that I vote to put on the main list:
Crash - soft and grainy but I believe intentional
Heathers - maybe a bit soft but otherwise good
The Omega Man - grainy anamorphic print

Nominate:
Saw
Saw II

Major issues:
Saw III - DNR throughout

American Psycho is on two different lists. I assume the minor issues one is the Sony Australia release but I don't see any notation.

The Terminator is on the main list and the nomination list. Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding how you group things.

I'll add your entries to the various lists. Screenshots are good. I have a lot of screenshots i will be adding from Giger and Xylon in the next few months but the lists do need to have more information next to some entries and that will be done before the years out.

I'll make sure to put a note next to American Psycho and The Terminator was a mistake. When a film gets put on one of the other lists it shouldn't be on the nomination list anymore. I must have forgot to take it off so thanks for pointing it out.

Adding The Bird With The Crystal Plumage to the main list and Two Evil Eyes to the nomination list for you Whiggles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page