Film Reference and Analysis - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1801 of 1897 Old 03-29-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I am not just talking DNR

I wasn't talking DNR at all; I was talking about the fact that BDs don't look like release prints because they have more spatial resolution.

I don't feel special...
spectator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1802 of 1897 Old 03-29-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fookoo_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

My criteria is it should look exactly like a 100% perfect release day print.
Regardless of any current technology or trends in colour.
The goal is to look analogue to me.

More and more films are digital projections in 4K (and there is no print) - so there is no way that analogue can be applied to them. You will have to refine your criteria otherwise lots of films would be discarded, by your criteria.
fookoo_2010 is online now  
post #1803 of 1897 Old 03-29-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

More and more films are digital projections in 4K (and there is no print) - so there is no way that analogue can be applied to them. You will have to refine your criteria otherwise lots of films would be discarded, by your criteria.

Read back a bit. We already talked about setting a release date cut-off to exclude modern DI'd movies.

I don't feel special...
spectator is offline  
post #1804 of 1897 Old 03-29-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 2,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

The key is to define the criteria or rules for the thread. I think a list like the old list in the DVD forum would be useful, i.e. the BDs that look like the film and it may be the best anyone can remember if it's an "OOP" film. Some of the color changes that has been done recently does changes things a bit compared to years ago when it wasn't so drastic, e.g. Aliens is my poster child for that. So, there has to be some allowance one way or other for that. Even if there isn't a unanimous decision for a disc, at least the "objections" would be noted which could be useful for making a purchase/rental decision.

But, as I said earlier, filtering out BDs with obvious issues like DNR, EE, etc. would be the main thing. Maybe more than one list or tier is needed like in the "eye candy" PQ thread.

All that is takes is for somebody to come up with the "rules" and be willing to maintain thread list(s). If people don't agree with the rules or want different criteria, then they can either not participate or make their own thread and lists if they have a different agenda. Even though there's going to be some disagreements, the overall outcome should be positive especially for those people may not be as adept as others at spotting the things that give us the Patton BD, for example.

larry

That sounds the most reasonable for a list of this type. Make it a "Yes or No" proposition for each disc based solely on the quality of the transfer, with a minimum number of Yes votes needed to make the list. Anything that does not meet that criteria is kept off the list.

I think ranking them against one another for this type of list will be much tougher because it would require more knowledge on the part of the voters than the PQ Tiers, where even a casual viewer can understand the visceral differences without training.
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #1805 of 1897 Old 03-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

That sounds the most reasonable for a list of this type. Make it a "Yes or No" proposition for each disc based solely on the quality of the transfer, with a minimum number of Yes votes needed to make the list. Anything that does not meet that criteria is kept off the list.

I think ranking them against one another for this type of list will be much tougher because it would require more knowledge on the part of the voters than the PQ Tiers, where even a casual viewer can understand the visceral differences without training.

I agree, ranking is not essential. Seeing the comments that indicate possible issues in the nomination list would be good enough for readers to judge for themselves.

And, preferences can't come into play. That's the eye candy PQ thread material.

Catalog releases are the main concern of people who want "film like". Where there are (drastic) color changes an "asterik" may be the easiest way out. i.e. it looks like a/the film but the colors were change. Slight changes in contrast or color timing most people can deal with. In other words no digital scrubbing or enhancements that cause us to grieve when we see them in our favorite catalog titles coming to BD.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #1806 of 1897 Old 03-30-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nick_danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So then this would be dedicated only to visual fidelity (to the original)? What about audio? Original mono... lossless... new mix... old mix... etc.
nick_danger is offline  
post #1807 of 1897 Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

So then this would be dedicated only to visual fidelity (to the original)? What about audio? Original mono... lossless... new mix... old mix... etc.

PQ only.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #1808 of 1897 Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

PQ only.

Hmm...

Personally, the thread would be a lot more valuable to me if it were to contain some reference as to the respect shown the original soundtrack. I want to know if the soundtrack is presented:

1. in its original language

2. with the best available original mix

3. with all original music intact

4. in a lossless format

After all, how good is a respected picture without respected sound?

I don't feel special...
spectator is offline  
post #1809 of 1897 Old 03-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

Hmm...

Personally, the thread would be a lot more valuable to me if it were to contain some reference as to the respect shown the original soundtrack. I want to know if the soundtrack is presented:

1. in its original language

2. with the best available original mix

3. with all original music intact

4. in a lossless format

After all, how good is a respected picture without respected sound?

Usually the thread for the BD mentions this. And there's no reason why a note couldn't added to the PQ list entry. I thought AQ was being brought into the mix. (yuk yuk ) .

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #1810 of 1897 Old 03-30-2012, 11:22 AM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post


Usually the thread for the BD mentions this. And there's no reason why a note couldn't added to the PQ list entry. I thought AQ was being brought into the mix. (yuk yuk ) .

larry

It was about detail not rankings
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #1811 of 1897 Old 03-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
^^^ Yup, my misunderstanding. But it's a moot point until someone starts the thread.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #1812 of 1897 Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 AM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

^^^ Yup, my misunderstanding. But it's a moot point until someone starts the thread.

larry

I used to live in this thread, it was my home page
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #1813 of 1897 Old 03-30-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Usually the thread for the BD mentions this.

When there is one.

The thread for the BD usually talks about the image quality, too, so what's the point of any of this?

If we're going to have a thread that consolidates "respectful" presentations of catalog films, I think it should involve audio "respect", as well.

I don't feel special...
spectator is offline  
post #1814 of 1897 Old 03-31-2012, 07:14 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

When there is one.

The thread for the BD usually talks about the image quality, too, so what's the point of any of this?

If we're going to have a thread that consolidates "respectful" presentations of catalog films, I think it should involve audio "respect", as well.

What catalog title, or any movie for that matter, that you care about on BD has no thread? If a thread doesn't exist why didn't you create one?

The point of the list is a quick one-stop-shopping for a high probability of seeing a BD that represents the original film. If one needs more qualification they can spend the time to look in the BD thread.

And, like I said earlier, he who creates the thread sets the rules. What's stopping you??

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #1815 of 1897 Old 03-31-2012, 07:27 AM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post


What catalog title, or any movie for that matter, that you care about on BD has no thread? If a thread doesn't exist why didn't you create one?

The point of the list is a quick one-stop-shopping for a high probability of seeing a BD that represents the original film. If one needs more qualification they can spend the time to look in the BD thread.

And, like I said earlier, he who creates the thread sets the rules. What's stopping you??

larry

Great points
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #1816 of 1897 Old 04-01-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

The point of the list is a quick one-stop-shopping for a high probability of seeing a BD that represents the original film.

Exactly. And, if it doesn't include an assessment of the audio, this thread fails, for me, in that task.

I don't feel special...
spectator is offline  
post #1817 of 1897 Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 AM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post


Exactly. And, if it doesn't include an assessment of the audio, this thread fails, for me, in that task.

I would agree, but then we need to add oar listings even the normal Warner 1.78:1 crop.
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #1818 of 1897 Old 04-01-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I would agree, but then we need to add oar listings even the normal Warner 1.78:1 crop.

I was taking it as assumed that anything not OAR (or a reasonably close facsimile) wouldn't be considered in the first place.

I don't feel special...
spectator is offline  
post #1819 of 1897 Old 04-01-2012, 12:19 PM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

I was taking it as assumed that anything not OAR (or a reasonably close facsimile) wouldn't be considered in the first place.

I was not, a lot of people do not care about that small crop
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #1820 of 1897 Old 04-01-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I was not, a lot of people do not care about that small crop

That crop falls squarely in the "reasonably close facsimile" bracket for me.

I don't feel special...
spectator is offline  
post #1821 of 1897 Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 3,318
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Now i see why this thread didn't last.

home theater addict
saprano is offline  
post #1822 of 1897 Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Now i see why this thread didn't last.

I know! How could it possibly survive almost a whole page of us deciding what we want it to be?!

I, for one, am out of here in a huff!

I don't feel special...
spectator is offline  
post #1823 of 1897 Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 PM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Talked to Foxy today, I am with him on this:
If the thread is to come back then it is for films with NO DI step.
These are movies shot on film and transferred to disc from a film scan, not from a DI.
dvdmike007 is offline  
post #1824 of 1897 Old 04-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
You guys seem to miss the point that if you create the thread, you make the rules. We already have a PQ eye candy thread, so no need to duplicate that or something close to it, but anything else goes. This thread doesn't necessarily have to be the basis. All I see is a bunch of talk.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #1825 of 1897 Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 311
The amount of work people expect from this suggests the need for a paid maintainer. I suggest someone who is used to abuse: a grad student or the personal assistant of some celebrity figure.

-Bill
wmcclain is offline  
post #1826 of 1897 Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spectator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

All I see is a bunch of talk.

Isn't that the first step in determining what we want?

I don't feel special...
spectator is offline  
post #1827 of 1897 Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

The amount of work people expect from this suggests the need for a paid maintainer. I suggest someone who is used to abuse: a grad student or the personal assistant of some celebrity figure.

-Bill

Good one! Although, once the rules/criteria are set, I don't see why the maintainer would need to put up with abuse. People who disagree with what others say need to show visual proof why they think the transfer is "bad", and vice versa. If people want to evaluate audio also, then it's hopeless. And, besides, "problem people" are easy to spot and once they get banned from the thread they usually behave once the are let back in.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #1828 of 1897 Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

Isn't that the first step in determining what we want?

At this point, I really don't care. I gave suggestions of what was did in the DVD forum which worked quite well. I did that to help get the ball rolling and maybe motivate someone.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #1829 of 1897 Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member
 
ADU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 6,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Interesting discussion. It sounds like most folks here want a list of "Best Catalog Film Transfers/Presentations on BD".

Implicite in the term "Best" is the notion that it should be reasonably faithful to the source material. But I think it also needs to be acknowledged that technology both in the home and in the production environment has advanced considerably since most of these films were originally made, so that a modern digital presentation should actually exceed the quality of the picture/sound that most people experienced when they originally saw the films in a theater, in some ways.

Which term is preferred btw: "Catalog" or "Library"?

It's a High Hide. A High Hide... See you go up and you hide, high. It goes up to where the trees are, and keeps the researchers out of harms way.

Actually, it'll put them at a very convenient biting height.
ADU is offline  
post #1830 of 1897 Old 04-05-2012, 05:47 PM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

Interesting discussion. It sounds like most folks here want a list of "Best Catalog Film Transfers/Presentations on BD".

Implicite in the term "Best" is the notion that it should be reasonably faithful to the source material. But I think it also needs to be acknowledged that technology both in the home and in the production environment has advanced considerably since most of these films were originally made, so that a modern digital presentation should actually exceed the quality of the picture/sound that most people experienced when they originally saw the films in a theater, in some ways.

Which term is preferred btw: "Catalog" or "Library"?

It's not the best its the most film like
dvdmike007 is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off