Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 1897 Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

And you're absolutely certain that this is due to the studio deciding to "destroy" the audio track, and isn't just a case of a movie having typical 1970s audio fidelity problems?

lol, yes, I'm sure the movie is not meant to sound this bad. Have you seen this on blu ray? There is nothing typical about how bad it sounds. If this sounded like this in the theaters, people would have walked out holding their ears complaining. The frgging VHS sounds better than this, so yes I'm sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1897 Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Regarding TOMMY: Which audio track did you listen to? The "Quintaphonic" recreation or the new mix?

I just spot checked mine and it has no audio problems like you described. Each mix sounds different, but neither have the anomalies you mention. What type of system are you running it on? The audio on the BD is very similar to the theatrical mix I saw in 1975 (the loudest film I've ever heard), a little dry compared to today's mixes but nothing wrong with it. Can you give a specific sequence with the bass fade problem? The Christmas scene doesn't have it.

post #1893 of 1897 Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

Regarding TOMMY: Which audio track did you listen to? The "Quintaphonic" recreation or the new mix?

I just spot checked mine and it has no audio problems like you described. Each mix sounds different, but neither have the anomalies you mention. What type of system are you running it on? The audio on the BD is very similar to the theatrical mix I saw in 1975 (the loudest film I've ever heard), a little dry compared to today's mixes but nothing wrong with it. Can you give a specific sequence with the bass fade problem? The Christmas scene doesn't have it.

I am running it through a Sony BD system on through a Sony wireless headphones system. All the other BDs I play on it and through the headphones sound just fine.

The part that is is the most noticeable is during the Christmas 'kid' scene ... it's so bad that I could hardly make it through the scene. The high pitches make the entire audio drop way back, ESPECIALLY when every someone makes an 'ssss' sound. It is the worst audio I've ever heard on anything ever. As far as what audio mix I listened to, the answer to that would be both... I tried both audio mixes and they sounded identical.

I don't know what the problem is. I do use the wireless headphones but like I said, everything else I watch and listen to on them sounds just fine, but this sounded beyond terrible. The movie LOOKS GREAT though.

I don't know... maybe I should get a better pair of wireless headphones??

I have to watch everything with headphones because my walls are super thin and I can't hook up speakers and the sound on my tv is not the greatest. The Sony wireless headphones I have cost me $100 and they work decently for most things... the only other time I heard this similar type of audio issue is with The Karate Kid (1984) BD during some of the music.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what the best wireless headphones for use with a Sony BD player that has analog audio? My Sony BD has analog audio out and that is what I use to hook up the headphones.

If the Tommy BD doesn't actually have the audio issues that I am hearing when I listen to it then maybe it has something to do with the fact that there is no type of equalizer or bass boost or any way to adjust the audio levels on my headphones... but again that is strange since it isn't a problem with most things I've listened to on them.

btw, I have a 50" Panasonic GT50.
post #1894 of 1897 Old 02-02-2013, 07:48 PM

SLEEPER (Woody Allen) deserves to be at #1 on the list for most film-like blu ray transfers.
post #1895 of 1897 Old 02-09-2013, 11:46 AM

I watched RAISING ARIZONA last night on blu ray and it looks incredible...nice and film like. Not much 'digital weirdness' at all if any. A beautiful transfer!! I highly recommend it.
post #1896 of 1897 Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemasoul View Post

I watched RAISING ARIZONA last night on blu ray and it looks incredible...nice and film like. Not much 'digital weirdness' at all if any. A beautiful transfer!! I highly recommend it.

Completely agree. Fox has done a great job on some of their catalogs.

post #1897 of 1897 Old 02-13-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I can definitely state one disc that shouldn't make this list. Fox pulled out an awful MGM master for Woody Allen's Hannah and Her Sisters. A shame that a film of its stature looks very poor on Blu-ray.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page