Film Reference and Analysis - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1897 Old 06-20-2008, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to give another vote to A Clockwork Orange.

The image reflects the low budget the film had, and subsequently the cheaper film stock...it's a softer look with grain present in darker scenes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1897 Old 06-21-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

I'll put a nomination in for Predator.

Looks good to my eyes especially if you know it's history......For example the inconsistent shots where people see more grain...Here's the reason why....In post production they actually zoomed in on some long to medium shot scenes as there was no other shots available as filming had ended and thats why you get added grain on certain scenes which is inconsistent with the shot before....It's how it looked at the cinema and it's how it looks on Blu Ray.
post #183 of 1897 Old 06-21-2008, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Nomination for Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

post #184 of 1897 Old 06-21-2008, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
I will enthusiastically second the nomination of The Sand Pebbles!

Superb film-like presentation.
post #185 of 1897 Old 06-21-2008, 10:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 49
After all these years I'd like to nominate Sky Captain anmd the World of Tomorrow.

The HDDVD looked exceptionally good but was intentionally soft focused as films in the 1930's often were; the transfer is essentially free of EE and other artifacting and reproduced the theatrical presentation extremely well.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #186 of 1897 Old 06-22-2008, 07:11 AM

Liked: 50
Closest to what I saw in the cinema ?
Shoot Em' Up
Close Encounters
Bridge to terabithia
28 weeks later
The replacement killers
Hellboy
and the black and white sections of Natural Born Killers the colour sections look to have some DNR to me
post #187 of 1897 Old 06-22-2008, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

I have moved Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, The Sand Pebbles and 28 Weeks Later onto the main list and added Shoot Em' Up, Bridge To Terabithia, The Replacement Killers and Hellboy to the nomination list.

I watched I Am Legend yesterday and thought it looked very good and i saw lots of detail in faces and backgrounds so i will nominate it ( feel free to negative it anyone but state your reasons ) I picked the Alternate version to watch ......Big mistake because i then re-watched the final part with the Theatrical ending and preferred the original cinema ending....It just felt more natural an ending to me.

For those interested here is a good thread with screenshots for The Sand Pebbles........http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1041783
post #188 of 1897 Old 06-22-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

I have changed things slightly.....To stop confusion ( hopefully )

The Main List is where film titles will be placed if they have no major issues and retain the criteria for this thread.

Film Like But Issues With Transfer is what you can call your 2nd list and it is here where titles are placed if there are some minor issues with the transfer to Blu Ray. Titles on this thread fit the criteria for being here but will have some minor issues with slight EE or minor DNR ( nothing major )

The Category 2 list will be re-named The Nomination List and is there simply to reflect the fact people have made one vote for a film to be on this list.

There is not a rating attached to any films saying one title looks better than the other.....This list isn't based on any pre-conceived notion of great image quality and i re-worded the front page to reflect that.

Not easy getting things just right and i'm taking everything on board that people say and will try to adjust things so as not to make this simply a Tier picture quality thread.

Good changes, I think this will work much better.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #189 of 1897 Old 06-22-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll put a nomination in for Predator.

Looks good to my eyes especially if you know it's history......For example the inconsistent shots where people see more grain...Here's the reason why....In post production they actually zoomed in on some long to medium shot scenes as there was no other shots available as filming had ended and thats why you get added grain on certain scenes which is inconsistent with the shot before....It's how it looked at the cinema and it's how it looks on Blu Ray.

I second the nomination for Predator. I am pleased that Fox chose not to try to clean this up, instead they gave us all the bad with all the good. In my opinion, it looks great.

post #190 of 1897 Old 06-22-2008, 02:17 PM

Seconding the nomination for Shoot 'Em Up. I remember sitting in the theatre and thinking "Wow, this is a sharp and detailed movie." BD was exactly the same.
post #191 of 1897 Old 06-22-2008, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Adding Predator and Shoot 'Em Up to the main list.

I watched Resident Evil - Extinction tonight and i noticed Milla's face kept changing....Whenever a closeup appeared onscreen it was wiped of detail and obviously so although medium to long shots were great and her face appeared normal....Very strange but i did read on another thread about digital airbrushing so i'm guessing this was applied post production and not for the Blu Ray release.

I'm not nominating it though as i'm unsure of it's original look although some scenes looked superb and film like other scenes looked more processed to my eyes although that's maybe just the CGI manipulation done post production. Anyone else is free to nominate it and give opinions on it.
post #192 of 1897 Old 06-22-2008, 03:54 PM

It was like that projected I noticed it at least
post #193 of 1897 Old 06-22-2008, 04:06 PM

I thought it was (like Sweeney Todd) just as it was in the cinema so I nominate it
Edit, also like to nominate the German Children Of Men just sold this and RE:E but Children was a stunning transfer (waiting for the new Universal)
post #194 of 1897 Old 06-22-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I thought it was (like Sweeney Todd) just as it was in the cinema so I nominate it

I added it to the nomination list.
post #195 of 1897 Old 06-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

The Sweeney Todd transfer is loaded with compression artifacts (Xylon's pics):

With the color removed so it's easier to see:

I would think that something loaded with this many compression artifacts would be the opposite of what this thread is going for. If transparency to the film elements is the goal, this fails badly.

I addressed this transfer to Ben Waggoner from the Microsoft VC-1 team and he had this to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post

It's hard to say what's going on there without seeing the source. The bitrate should have been more than sufficient for the content, so I think there's a good chance we've got source issues. The posters in the original thread seem to think it's due to "digital airbrushing" which is certainly plausible on the faces at least.

So it may very well be an issue with the source.
post #196 of 1897 Old 06-22-2008, 04:29 PM

I did not say Todd should be nominated just that the digital airbrushing was in the movie in the cinema
post #197 of 1897 Old 06-22-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I did not say Todd should be nominated just that the digital airbrushing was in the movie in the cinema

I didn't add Sweeney Todd....I thought you wanted Resident Evil - Extinction added ?
post #198 of 1897 Old 06-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Haha, must be me that was confused then.
post #199 of 1897 Old 06-22-2008, 04:35 PM

I did say RE:E thanks FoxyMulder I was replying to sperron

I also nominate The Island (UK) and Children of men (German)
post #200 of 1897 Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperron View Post

Haha, must be me that was confused then.

It's ok.

I know what you're thinking....Did he add six films to the list or only five.....Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement i kinda lost track myself.

Taking the color out of Sweeney Todd to show the problems is a good idea.....I guess we're have to wait and see if the USA version improves on the UK one.

I watched some scenes of Into The Blue and it looked very good....I may nominate it after watching the whole film.

I'm going to take some shots with my Sony digital camera ( 7.2mega pixels and Carl Zeiss Lens ) of the various movies i have on Blu Ray and upload them to my website and then add some small frames of each image to the Blu Ray picture thread here which people will be able to click to get the full image.....It probably won't show exactly what i am seeing but it'll be fun to do.
post #201 of 1897 Old 06-23-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

This is the ONLY part of this film that looks dated to me.... the monkey suit thing & the front projection just dont work anymore.

Front projection doesn't work any more because it's incompatible with camera motion and shooting at angles to the rear screen. These days audience expect constant camera motion.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #202 of 1897 Old 06-23-2008, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's ok.

Taking the color out of Sweeney Todd to show the problems is a good idea.....I guess we're have to wait and see if the USA version improves on the UK one.

I'll be doing the same. There was going to be a 2-disc special edition HD DVD...so I guess there'll be a 2-disc BD version instead. I'm waiting impatiently for it, but then again, it's Paramount/Dreamworks? handling it, so I'm hoping they don't pull a Face-Off here... If that's the case, I'll import.
post #203 of 1897 Old 06-24-2008, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

I'm watching The Professionals later and i'll be keeping an eye out for the EE mentioned in Joshua Zybers review.....If i see none and it looks like film then i'll second the first nomination of it.

I checked out some of 3:10 To Yuma and it looks great to my eyes with nice fine film grain but i understand it suffers from Aliasing effects ( jaggies on edges ) Thats not something which i ever notice but since it's a known problem with the film it can't be considered for the main list.....It could be placed in the Film like with issues list....I'll watch that sometime soon.

Keep the nominations and votes coming and remember your viewing distance from your screen has an effect on what you are seeing.
post #204 of 1897 Old 06-24-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:

I'm watching The Professionals later and i'll be keeping an eye out for the EE mentioned in Joshua Zybers review.....If i see none and it looks like film then i'll second the first nomination of it.

All from the first few minutes of the movie.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #205 of 1897 Old 06-24-2008, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

All from the first few minutes of the movie.

I think your review of the movie is fair enough....There is edge enhancement especially noticeable at the beginning of the film - You can see it against the outline of hats, on the train and on the wood beams against the house and all at the beginning of the film.....It gets much better but is always there to some degree....I think it's more mild after the first ten to fifteen minutes of the film.

I think though it looks very film like and has some very fine film grain and the edge enhancement wasn't intrusive to me and is what i consider mild.

Others can pipe in as to how they consider it.

Some scenes look absolutely stunning and i'd still recommend this to buy.

Great movie and it does mostly look superb on Blu Ray with a real film look and it's just a pity some mild EE spoils an otherwise great presentation but i will second the nomination and add it to the Film Like with issues list and mention the edge enhancement.

For those interested in what this thread is all about then check this link out ( This isn't the right place to discuss it though )

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...ris062408.html

Robert Harris who is a film restoration expert speaks about grain and other film related issues with Blu Ray....It goes hand in hand with what this thread is trying to achieve.
post #206 of 1897 Old 06-24-2008, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

EE baffles me. Does EE ever look good? Why do the studios insist on using this crap?

post #207 of 1897 Old 06-24-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

EE baffles me. Does EE ever look good? Why do the studios insist on using this crap?

Edge ringing isn't always intentional. It's sometimes a byproduct of the film-to-video digitization or the compression.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #208 of 1897 Old 06-25-2008, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Edge ringing isn't always intentional. It's sometimes a byproduct of the film-to-video digitization or the compression.

Especially the first shot looks more like there is a glow around transitions from dark to brighter areas and I noticed a very similar optical effect in a theatric presentation of Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm. It surely is not the kind of EE that is applied to make movies look sharper on small monitors.

Somebody have a 35mm print of The Professionals to check that for us ?
post #209 of 1897 Old 06-25-2008, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

I think in the case of Sony the old equipment they used added unintentional EE....I believe they replaced all that old equipment in 2007 so it should become a thing of the past unless intentionally added by them.

It's also possible that the minor problems we see on this disc are a result of the original optical printing process.

Trust me when i say The Professionals looks very good and rent or buy it and see for yourself.
post #210 of 1897 Old 06-25-2008, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Unintended ringing or haloing of this sort is something I see in virtually every SD DVD, but this type of unintended ringing or haloing is one of the compression artifacts that should not be present in BD.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page