Old 07-08-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I forget what the limit is, but if you spend "so much" at Tower, you get free s/h just like at Amazon.

Yeah, it's $25. Gotta find something else to pick up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:

How about Texas Chainsaw Massacre pre-order for $17.99 (44% off)
http://www.tower.com/texas-chainsaw-...wapi/112199122

$16.99 now
Old 07-08-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 183
OOops, yes... $16.99 is what I meant to type. Sorry.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 07-08-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBFilmGuy View Post

For those who missed out on the WB deal on Batman Begins, Amazon has it now for $17.95.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...nandscathed-20

Got mine $17.05 Gold box deal. I would have preferred $14.99 though and right to price match, that is not applicable for towers!

Let us know if towers sell $13.99
Old 07-08-2008, 08:22 PM

I thought the first post of this thread was supposed to have the latest sales?

Or should we just follow the last post?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

$15.86 at Tower.com
http://www.tower.com/batman-begins-c...wapi/112085340

Just purchased batman begins 15.86 and cloverfield 14.86 from Tower.com
Old 07-09-2008, 12:13 AM

I ordered Batman begins at Fye's / Sam Goody, it comes with a $5.00 rebate.
The total comes to $13.89 with tax (no Shipping) charge.

I have a Fye membership which gives a 10% discount.
I have been trading the SD DVD's in as the Blu-Ray titles are announced.

My point is that no one seems to mention the $5.00 mail-in rebate is it a FYE exclusive?.
There are 10 titles listed.

Greg
Old 07-09-2008, 12:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE View Post

Kinda dumb, isn't it?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Anyone have any idea why when I goto checkout with some amazon.uk blu rays, they are cheaper than they appeared in my cart. It's not all of them, just some. Air force one, the crow, and black sheep are a few that are cheaper. Sweeny Todd isn't.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

I really don't think that ShagMan could possible keep up with the constant changes.

Larry
Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 AM

Liked: 54
Quote:

I've found that you have to check the last page or two (at least.) There's apparently a breakdown in the system somewhere. I don't know if it's the posters who aren't PMing the OP with their updates or if the OP is just not getting to the updates, but either way, the first post is woefully outdated (the Fry's listing hasn't been updated since early May.)

Thankfully, there are still posters contributing, so as long as you know where to look (the end of the thread rather than the OP,) you should still be able to find the deals. I will say that I'm disappointed in how the thread turned out. The major complaint that many of us lodged when the decision was made to consolidate all "sale/deal/bargain" threads into one sticky thread was that it would be tough wading through pages and pages of posts in order to find the deal. The "solution" was to have the first post continually updated, but again, an apparent breakdown somewhere in the process has led us to exactly where we don't want to be - wading through the posts, looking for the deals.

Imo, for the current system to work, we would need multiple people updating the first post. We would also need those who are updating the first post to do so based on the posts in the thread, rather than waiting for PMs. With those two changes in place, I think the thread would work as intended.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaze0 View Post

Anyone have any idea why when I goto checkout with some amazon.uk blu rays, they are cheaper than they appeared in my cart. It's not all of them, just some. Air force one, the crow, and black sheep are a few that are cheaper. Sweeny Todd isn't.

VAT (UK tax) removal. As I understand it, titles that don't drop in price are sold from a different place and don't have the VAT to begin with.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 AM

In for 1 Batman Begins and 1 Cloverfield from tower. Thanks guys great catch.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post

I've found that you have to check the last page or two (at least.) There's apparently a breakdown in the system somewhere. I don't know if it's the posters who aren't PMing the OP with their updates or if the OP is just not getting to the updates, but either way, the first post is woefully outdated (the Fry's listing hasn't been updated since early May.)

Thankfully, there are still posters contributing, so as long as you know where to look (the end of the thread rather than the OP,) you should still be able to find the deals. I will say that I'm disappointed in how the thread turned out. The major complaint that many of us lodged when the decision was made to consolidate all "sale/deal/bargain" threads into one sticky thread was that it would be tough wading through pages and pages of posts in order to find the deal. The "solution" was to have the first post continually updated, but again, an apparent breakdown somewhere in the process has led us to exactly where we don't want to be - wading through the posts, looking for the deals.

Imo, for the current system to work, we would need multiple people updating the first post. We would also need those who are updating the first post to do so based on the posts in the thread, rather than waiting for PMs. With those two changes in place, I think the thread would work as intended.

on a deal site, a wiki post/reply can be added, which actually becomes the 2nd post in the thread. the great thing about the wiki is that anyone can go in and edit it for the current deals. that is what this type of thread needs. hats off to the OP for creating this topic, but unreasonable to expect him to keep it updated around the clock.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

A Wiki is actually a pretty good idea for this type of thread.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by higuy View Post

hats off to the OP for creating this topic, but unreasonable to expect him to keep it updated around the clock.

Nobody expects him to keep it updated around the clock, but he did say in the OP that he will be updating the thread every day (the last update was nearly two weeks ago.) He hasn't updated the "Fry's" heading in two months, despite the fact that there have been several sales since then.

Anyone not aware of the lack of updates to the first post could be misled into thinking that the stores haven't been running any sales. If the OP is unwilling or unable to update the OP in a timely manner (and this includes updates posted in the thread, not just the ones sent to him via PM,) perhaps it's time for the OP to relinquish control of the thread to someone else.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Other than the first time I viewed the thread, I've never even looked at the first post. It's just as easy to subscribe to the thread and just read the deals as their posted by other members.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Old 07-09-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Other than the first time I viewed the thread, I've never even looked at the first post. It's just as easy to subscribe to the thread and just read the deals as their posted by other members.

If we all decide that wading through numerous pages of threads (nineteen currently) looking for the deals among the other posts is better than having the first post updated on a regular basis, fine. But if that's the decision, the first post needs to be changed to reflect that. As it stands, it's very misleading.

Just because you're fine with working around the problem, doesn't mean the problem isn't real or that it shouldn't be addressed.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If we all decide that wading through numerous pages of threads (nineteen currently) looking for the deals among the other posts is better than having the first post updated on a regular basis, fine. But if that's the decision, the first post needs to be changed to reflect that. As it stands, it's very misleading.

Just because you're fine with working around the problem, doesn't mean the problem isn't real or that it shouldn't be addressed.

1. The thread only has 10 pages for me.
2. You don't have to wade through anything. Most of the people in this thread have done that, you just need to subscribe and read the new posts when they come up - a few per day.
3. Even if someone is new to the thread, they don't need to wade through the whole thread either, since most of the earlier deals would obviously be over. All someone has to do is read through that last few days worth of posts (maybe 2 days).
4. It's not a workaround, it's a better way to do it. Even if the OP was updating the thread every day, there's sometimes deals that don't last a whole day. It's much better from a consumer aspect, to view the posts as they happen (via subscription) and act accordingly.

I agree the first post is misleading, so it should be changed. But other than that, there's no reason to change anything else. View the thread as you would any other thread of interest and you'll never miss a deal and won't have to rely on anyone else to update things. It's actually pretty simple.

There is no advantage to having someone updating the first post.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Just purchased batman begins 15.86 and cloverfield 14.86 from Tower.com

Those are absolute steals!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:

There is no advantage to having someone updating the first post.

I disagree. If you're fine with the way things are now, good for you.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

If the OP is unwilling or unable to update the OP in a timely manner (and this includes updates posted in the thread, not just the ones sent to him via PM,) perhaps it's time for the OP to relinquish control of the thread to someone else.

The OP just took over several weeks ago from another member and we started this new thread.
A member can't just take over the thread as the first post can only be editted by the OP.

If someone wants to take over, then a new thread must be created.

It's not easy maintaining this type of thread if daliy/hourly updates are needed.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

The OP just took over several weeks ago from another member and we started this new thread.
A member can't just take over the thread as the first post can only be editted by the OP.

I didn't realize that this particular version was started on 06/18. Still, his last update was eight days after starting the thread. There have been a number of deals that have been posted in this thread that never made it to the first page. He's posting in other areas of the site, so he's been around - he's just not updating the thread.

If he didn't have the time (or inclination) to update the thread on a regular basis (the OP says daily,) he shouldn't have volunteered and accepted the responsibility, imo.

Quote:

If someone wants to take over, then a new thread must be created.

I don't know that that's necessarily true. Aren't there three or four "moderators" for the Tier thread? Don't they all have the ability to update the tier posts? I believe the mods have the ability to allow more than one person to edit the OP of a thread, but I could be mistaken.

Quote:

It's not easy maintaining this type of thread if daliy/hourly updates are needed.

The daily updates were promised in the OP, but every couple of days would probably suffice in most cases. He hasn't updated the thread in two weeks.

Again, if everyone's fine with finding the deals throughout the thread instead of listing them in the OP, then the OP should be changed to reflect that. Don't promise daily updates if you have no intention of updating the thread daily.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Steeb, I feel you are being somewhat unreasonable. There haven't even been that many "deals" in the last two weeks anyway. ...and just because it is in an ad somewhere, or someone posted it in this thread, doesn't make it automatic. If someone has a deal that should be posted in the first post, then they need to PM the OP so he can adjust it. That's basically how the job was founded, that the first post will be adjusted according to PMs received.
Also, a lot of these "deals" are very short lived. Some a couple days, and some just a few hours. That's impossible to keep up with. Amazon of Tower may have a great price on something, but 2 hours later the price goes back up, then back down again 2 days later... impossible to track.
The best way I believe to get these deals anymore, is to subscribe to this thread, and once a day or more read through the posts. The way a lot of these deals are being found anymore, I think the first post is all but an obsolete tool.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

werd
Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Batman begins- $17.86 walmart. For those who can't wait or just want this movie and nothing else.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9882750
Old 07-09-2008, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I disagree. If you're fine with the way things are now, good for you.

Why don't you take over updating the first post then?

Old 07-09-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:

The best way I believe to get these deals anymore, is to subscribe to this thread, and once a day or more read through the posts. The way a lot of these deals are being found anymore, I think the first post is all but an obsolete tool.

Once again, if you're all fine with subscribing to the thread and/or searching through the posts to find the deals, that's great. Dandy. Fine. Excellent. But if that's the way it's going to be, the OP needs to be edited to reflect that. As of right now, the very first line of the OP is:

"This thread will always have all of the current Blu-ray DEALs on the FIRST page, so you won't have to search to find out what's available."

How is it unreasonable to expect the person who volunteered to maintain the "deals" sticky thread to... oh I don't know... maintain the "deals" sticky thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBFilmGuy View Post

Why don't you take over updating the first post then?

Because I have neither the time nor the inclination. It would irresponsible of me to volunteer for a job knowing that I wouldn't be able to keep up with the workload. Again, I'll happily go along with the "seek out the deals as they're posted" method that everyone else seems to be advocating, but the OP needs to be changed to reflect that. There's no reason to mislead the readers of the thread, right?
Old 07-09-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not unreasonable, but since that's not happening, move on.

Continuing to state your complaints and your inability to adapt isn't helping.

The OP thought he could do it and he can't/won't/isn't. No biggie.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Steeb, have you PM'd ShagMan to ask about why he hasn't updated any of the deals? Or for that matter, have you PM'd the deals you've seen to him for him to update the first post?