Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Kn0w View Post

Auto is a default feature of the Onkyo as you stated. There is a flag in each TrueHD encode that toggles night mode (or DRC as it's popularly known) on or off. The vast majority of TrueHD encodes default night mode to off. Iron Man, unfortunately, defaults to on. Therefore while the movie is playing, go in and change night mode (or DRC) to off.

I'm sorry, I'm coming into this topic late. Does it change this for all receivers with night mode or DRC? Or is this just an issue with Onkyo or a paticular brand of receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post

It's a poster tube.

thanks, thought it had a poster inside but it was empty.. It was sealed so there was no tampering..

post #723 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Auto is a default feature of the Onkyo as you stated. There is a flag in each TrueHD encode that toggles night mode (or DRC as it's popularly known) on or off. The vast majority of TrueHD encodes default night mode to off. Iron Man, unfortunately, defaults to on. Therefore while the movie is playing, go in and change night mode (or DRC) to off.

Every TrueHD track I have played on my 885 defaults to Auto on the front display (which is what it is supposed to do according to the manual), not OFF. I change every TrueHD track from auto to off before playing

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #724 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflip1080 View Post

Well, that is exactly what happened with my copy i got from BB. It has the Blue feature film disc and seems to work fine. I thought the audio was great, sounded like trueHD to me(using analog outs and let my sammy 5k decode). Seemed to have great dynamics, especially in the gunfight scenes and well any action scene really.

Thanks for the info looks like tonight will be DADDY'S NIGHT in our hometheater.

Peter
Enjoy HD no matter what......
post #725 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I would not call it a feature (in the default "auto" setting atleast), but more of an annoyance as I feel the need to switch this to "OFF" with every TrueHD track This is if you are listening at low volumes and want to hear dialog better and reduces the dynamic range to do so. Not something you want on if you are looking to get the most out of the track.

Quote:

Every TrueHD track I have played on my 885 defaults to Auto on the front display (which is what it is supposed to do according to the manual), not OFF. I change every TrueHD track from auto to off before playing

Hi there:

I have an Onkyo 705 and I know that in my bluray player I have the DRC turned off and my Onkyo does all the bitstreaming/decoding and I am not sure how to turn it off/auto/on dang I am not even sure how it is set up right now. so just toggle the WHAT button over the remote? which button in the remote? So I will be watching the IRONMAN tonight so I should turn off the latenight mode/DRC off or should I do this everytime I watch TRUEHD tracks. Thanks please advise....and when I'm done with IRONMAN should I leave it to OFF or AUTO mode if OFF does it effect the DTS HD MASTER tracks and PCM. Thanks.

Peter

Peter
post #726 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I assume your 605 is the same as my 885 with the L night feature....If so, auto is the default setting as it is on auto for every TrueHD track I have played. It says this in the manual as well. Did the Iron Man TrueHD track trip it to "ON" or was it in the default "Auto" setting? I am still going to turn it to OFF (as I always do), but auto is the default setting.

I have the 605 "listening mode preset" menu set to mirror whatever the audio coming in default is (instead of "last valid"), I.E. DTS = DTS, TrueHD = TrueHD, etc....the 605 first is at DVD Play II Movie (or whatever its called), as soon as the IM menu loads, it jumps to Dolby Digital, then once the actual movie starts running, it kicks over to TrueHD of course (because I have it set that way from that 605 preset selection menu page, one less button to press, I'm lazy) and yep, the L.Nite option is on "Auto" at this point instead of "off", least it is on mine...I'm sure we'd all rather have the default be OFF!! Anyway, its no biggie, one quick button push and glance at the 605 to ensure its off is all thats needed. =)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: World War Z, Iron Man 3, Halloween 35th, This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah, Cpt. America Winter Soldier, Godzilla, Big Bang Season 7
post #727 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:01 PM

Is this an Onkyo issue or an issue with all receivers when watching this movie?
post #728 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by osum26 View Post

Uh the scene was the exact same as it was in the theater. Also, the sound was just fine through out the whole film. The bass was boomin and the dialogue was crystal clear.

Uh, not at my theater, myself and another friend (we both saw the movie at different times) both remembered that part in the movies, at least at the theaters we went to; I actually asked him to elaborate on the scene just to make sure I wasn't going crazy and he went through it from memory, and he has NOT seen the dvd/blu-ray yet, let alone the deleted scenes where the scene is. Flentge remembers it too, the scene is now in the deleted scenes but I saw it at the theater. I know some more people can back me up on this, why would they cut back on the home releases?
post #729 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I would not call it a feature (in the default "auto" setting atleast), but more of an annoyance as I feel the need to switch this to "OFF" with every TrueHD track This is if you are listening at low volumes and want to hear dialog better and reduces the dynamic range to do so. Not something you want on if you are looking to get the most out of the track.

Is it best to turn it on with DD and what are benefit(s) with DD?
post #730 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

Is this an Onkyo issue or an issue with all receivers when watching this movie?

Denon also
post #731 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post

Uh, not at my theater, myself and another friend (we both saw the movie at different times) both remembered that part in the movies, at least at the theaters we went to; I actually asked him to elaborate on the scene just to make sure I wasn't going crazy and he went through it from memory, and he has NOT seen the dvd/blu-ray yet, let alone the deleted scenes where the scene is. Flentge remembers it too, the scene is now in the deleted scenes but I saw it at the theater. I know some more people can back me up on this, why would they cut back on the home releases?

It was exactly the same as the print I saw in the theater, too.

post #732 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

I have not watched it completely through yet but did they cut the scene when he is demonstrating his missile and says something like "This is how mom does it, this is how god does it and this is how America does it....and everything has been pretty good so far" or something along those lines. When he fires the missile and it detonates in the side of the mountain it contains some serious bass. I am pretty sure its in the beginning of the movie. I watched the first 30 minutes and did not see it.

That line is there, its at 15:05. As for the other issue of missing a few seconds/frames during the capture - I don't think anything is missing, I have the Cam version on my work PC (shhh ) and will certainly compare in the morn, but again, from memory, its identical on the BR.

|

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: World War Z, Iron Man 3, Halloween 35th, This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah, Cpt. America Winter Soldier, Godzilla, Big Bang Season 7
post #733 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post

It was exactly the same as the print I saw in the theater, too.

Ok, do you remember that scene? Did you watch the deleted scenes? In another forum a guy is reporting the same thing. Something fishy is going on.
post #734 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Denon also

Hmm..Ok. Pioneer here, but I don't have the disc yet I can't test it out.
post #735 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flentge View Post

When I saw Iron Man in the theater there was some diologe and a small gun battle before Stark was taken away. Here the ambush scene has nothing. Now I have only looked at a few scenes to check to see if the sound was ok. I checked out that scene because of the little gun battle and then to my surprise it was not there.

Josh

Same exact thing just happened to me! I thought i was missing content. This scene is definitely different than the one i saw in theaters.
post #736 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:15 PM

I attempted to play it on my PC with PowerDVD 7.4, and it just sticks on the blue chest icon loading screen. Special Features disk works fine. I'm going to try PowerDVD 8 to see if there is any difference...
I have the "defective" 097361385747 UPC from WalMart...
post #737 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils View Post

That line is there, its at 15:05. As for the other issue of missing a few seconds/frames during the capture - I don't think anything is missing, I have the Cam version on my work PC (shhh ) and will certainly compare in the morn, but again, from memory, its identical on the BR.

Haha...I just love the fact that it's on your work PC!
post #738 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the 605 "listening mode preset" menu set to mirror whatever the audio coming in default is (instead of "last valid"), I.E. DTS = DTS, TrueHD = TrueHD, etc....the 605 first is at DVD Play II Movie (or whatever its called), as soon as the IM menu loads, it jumps to Dolby Digital, then once the actual movie starts running, it kicks over to TrueHD of course (because I have it set that way from that 605 preset selection menu page, one less button to press, I'm lazy) and yep, the L.Nite option is on "Auto" at this point instead of "off", least it is on mine...I'm sure we'd all rather have the default be OFF!! Anyway, its no biggie, one quick button push and glance at the 605 to ensure its off is all thats needed. =)

This is a good point, I've seen this menu in my 705 also and I have everything in LAST VALID. I think I will try this and leave l.nite to Auto. Thanks for sharing.

Peter
post #739 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Gotta love the no previews. Straight to the menu.
post #740 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:21 PM

When i saw it in the theater the opening scene did have a small gun battle as well. Though not as long as the full gun battle that is in the deleted scenes. But it definitely IS the same as on the BD we have here.

-Lude
post #741 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxie321 View Post

Same exact thing just happened to me! I thought i was missing content. This scene is definitely different than the one i saw in theaters.

Are you guys fastforwarding? I didn't see it in the theater, but the very opening starts with dialog in the Hummer.
How do you remeber the scene going?
post #742 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:32 PM

Ok, so apparently the loading screen thing needs to stay up for about a full minute before you can do anything...
post #743 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:32 PM

To those whose PS3s have finished the download of the BD-Live content, could you confirm the size of the file? It's in the Movies --> BD Data folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

I just got done watching it,the volume seemed to go down at the last 15 mins or so,anyone else noticed this,I checked the upc code & it was not the recall ones.thanks

I'm assuming it's not a DRC problem since you didn't say anything about the first 1hour45mins. I recall at the theaters, the volume did drop at the final fight. A tad bit underwhelming in overall volume, but once adjusted, it should sound fine.
post #744 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

Haha...I just love the fact that it's on your work PC!

Hehehe. Well, things are slow these days ya know, plus, my boss wanted to see it.

I just watched that deleted scence, and I swear those few moments from the initial strike to the spot just before where he dives behind the boulders are not on my cam version, that all seemed very fresh, don't recall seeing any of that from the version we DL'd (and I've watched it a couple of times), especially where his friend jumps up and takes control of the 50 cal, etc, and the few lines he shouts. Its cool, it should've been left in (on the BR), adds to the real world severity of the situation.

Anyway, it'd be really easy to verify, the cam version is still floating around (just checked) and the cool thing is, anyone dying to be sure (I already am) would only need to DL for a few min to check seeing as how that scence is at the start of the movie - just use the trusty ole VLC media player, works like a champ on vid files that are nowhere near completely downloaded...

Quote:

This is a good point, I've seen this menu in my 705 also and I have everything in LAST VALID. I think I will try this and leave l.nite to Auto. Thanks for sharing.

You bet!

|

post #745 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

Mine is taking 2 minutes so far so I jumped into this forum. I will wait and edit this message.

Freaked out for a bit .... but 5 minutes better not be every time I pop this in!

I just popped in my disc again this evening after sitting at the blue ring of death for 10 minutes this afternoon on my Panasonic BD-50.

It's been 15 minutes now at the ring of death tonight so this happens every damn time you put the disc into a BD-Live player.

I agree with Bland, 2.0 is badddddd if this is how it's going to be implemented.

"We did not have business relations with that company, Fuh Yuan."
post #746 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

If you really want to, you can go into your BD/DVD Settings in the PS3 and change the Internet Downloads (or something like that) from Allow to Confirm. That'll essentially bypass the BD Live download. You can enable it again at a later date when the server's not getting hammered by everyone!

Thank you SO much for that tip, I thought my disc was messed up and I wouldn't be able to watch this tonight.

post #747 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Agreed, no biggie. Just glad we are aware of it

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #748 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hehehe. Well, things are slow these days ya know, plus, my boss wanted to see it.

I just watched that deleted scence, and I swear those few moments from the initial strike to the spot just before where he dives behide the boulders are not on my cam version, that all seemed very fresh, don't recall seeing any of that from the version we DL'd (and I've watched it a couple of times), especially where his friend jumps up and takes control of the 50 cal, etc. Its cool, it should've been left in (on the BR), adds to the real world severity of the situation.

You bet!

I just watched that scene on the R1 Retail DVD and that same scene is absent as well. I know for a fact that scene was in the movie when I went to the theater on the Friday Iron Man opened (I remembered the Myspace joke and the explosive landing right next to him), oh well.....that was quite an effective scene that they should have left in.
post #749 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I heard someone said Iron Man Blu-ray hangs at loading with Iron Man's blue round chest thing.

Mine also hangs during loading. I'm playing the movie on PS3.

The workaround is unplug the PS3 from the network. It seems during loading, the movie is trying to contact the server for the BD Live data and hangs. Transformers on HD DVD also has that same problem playing on Xbox 360.

There is supposed to be a correct version. Question is if my copy is the buggy version? It's the Target exclusive edition.
post #750 of 1219 Old 09-30-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound View Post

I just popped in my disc again this evening after sitting at the blue ring of death for 10 minutes this afternoon on my Panasonic BD-50.

It's been 15 minutes now at the ring of death tonight so this happens every damn time you put the disc into a BD-Live player.

I agree with Bland, 2.0 is badddddd if this is how it's going to be implemented.

Oh, how i love my profile 1.1 Samsung BD-UP5000. I was watching Ironman within 20-30 sec of closing the tray.

I was going to get a PS3 to be future proof, but when i saw the crazy deal on this player and having 50 HD-DVDs and no hdmi receiver, the analog outs made me pull the trigger. Maybe in a few years i'll buy 2.0 blu player if its even worth it then.

Sorry about the bd-live 2.0 wait times though. That would tick me off something fierce.

Beauty, thy name is KURO.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page