AVS Forum banner

Iron Man Blu-ray 9/30

139K views 1K replies 365 participants last post by  lgans316 
#1 ·
September is going to be very expensive with Transformers, Iron Man, Kill Bill 1 & 2 just to name a few.

i know you guys want proof and i've taken a screenshot of the files i got my hands on that were from USB drives loaded with promo material.

i dont have any picture hosting services so if someone would host the pic pls send me a pm. other files found in the drive include intros to the extras material in the movie.

EDIT: Thanks to msgohan for hosting the pic.

See less See more
#1,002 ·
I have no issues with the audio, think it sounds great. The mix coulda been a touch better, not as much activity as we were all probably hoping for in the surrounds, but thats not any knock on the BRD, thats for sure, what is present sounds great.

The dialog is fine as well IMO, yeah, there are a couple spots here and there where more care could have been taken (balance wise), but the mix here is pretty much the way it was in the theater - I still have my cam version here and have been comparing, noticed the same dialog spots that needed to be a hair more up front last night at home are having the same minor issue at the same exact spots (getting a tiny bit lost with the other sounds), so again, no fault of the BR release itself, its just probably the way the mix is!

I thought I was hearing some pops/clicks at one point that sounded pretty ugly at first, during the scence where Col Rhodes and co are watching the F-22 encounter, starting right after the guy asks: "Col, what are we dealing with here?" - but its not in the center channel, its in the L/R mains and it was not what I though, its actually just the "clickiness/front end" of the instrument/effect used in the music, lol!!

This movie forced me to make a nice discovery/adjustemt though - my sub had been sitting directly on my floor with med/thick carpet, not to mention the floor is also the ceiling to a room downstairs! The sub activity was WAY too boomy, too much resonance, etc. I just never noticed it before, always just ran Audyssey and thought *cool, sounds great*. Anyway, I have the resources at work to basically copy one of those nifty "sub buddy" type stands. I placed it on the stand, recalibrated, and man, what an effin' difference getting that thing up, keeping it from driving right into the carpet and directly into that woofy, absorbent floor!!!! When A/Bing, it sounds so muddy and "rumbly" when right on the floor/carpet, on the stand its tight and clean, no more "woof!" Feel stupid for not trying/learning this earlier!

Newayz, sorry for that long post, but I just never would have noticed the problem and addressed it - its because of some of the longer, drawn out LFE runs made in IM that had me thinking WTF as opposed to say a quick shotgun blast in Ratatoullie, etc.

#1,003 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer /forum/post/14792430

Please tell us that one has to do with another?

usually you'll need to increase the volume from your normal reference level on truehd soundtracks. this is for sure the case with all of my truehd discs and one of the main reasons why many in these forums would rank truehd lower than either pcm or dtshdma in terms of desireability. that said, i'm not certain it's the culprit in this particular case. still, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

#1,004 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain /forum/post/14793177

usually you'll need to increase the volume from your normal reference level on truehd soundtracks. this is for sure the case with all of my truehd discs and one of the main reasons why many in these forums would rank truehd lower than either pcm or dtshdma in terms of desireability. that said, i'm not certain it's the culprit in this particular case. still, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Then DTS is quacking too... they also use dialog norm, and it is present on many DTS-HD MA discs..... and there's no need to guess how much to turn up your receiver... just check the dial norm offset on your receiver, for both DTS and Dolby..

If there is a +4 number, raise the volume 4 db..

If your processor gives you a negative number, use -31 as a zero reference... hence if you have a track with a dial norm of -27, turn the volume of 4db..

I don't know what discs you have, but Sony, for example, leaves Dial Norm "off".. your making a generalization, which isn't true in all cases.

If you're decoding in the player, it's going to be a guessing game.

#1,005 ·
Was this mixed low? (-27 dialnorm)?

#1,007 ·
I watched at 0 to +2.... about 5-7 dbs more than usual... Thanks.

#1,008 ·
I had to turn up the receiver higher than normal with this one, but then my sub almost blew apart when Iron Man went supersonic the first time. I like this movie and will play around with various settings.

And as far as a commentary... so much for it being the ultimate 2-disc set, eh?

#1,009 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B /forum/post/14793409

... so much for it being the ultimate 2-disc set, eh?

The version with the commentary is going to be the Ultimate 3-disc edition (including Digital copy).
...so much for 50GB BD not needing multi-disc releases.

#1,011 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 /forum/post/14792092

Yes, the audio is the same recalled or new version. Just check DRC or night option on your amp if possible. I'd be surprised if most equipment doesn't have a setting for that somewhere, though there may not be a night button on the remote.

I was at about -24 or -25db on my Denon 4306, when my "normal" level is around -30. DRC off on PS3 and night light is not displayed on my Denon front panel.

#1,012 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer /forum/post/14792410

This goes to show you why, in many cases, it can be beneficial to do a home theater re-master....

When ever the subject comes up, man complain that they want was originally shown in the theatrical setting.. the reality is that outside of a handful of private home screening rooms, home theaters are not set up for that kind of dynamic range..

Yeah but we all wanna have the cake and eat it too!

#1,013 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Kn0w /forum/post/14792132

I agree with you on the Tier 0 rating...just for the plain fact that if you have to keep adjusting the volume control while watching, it's not a reference soundtrack....just my $0.02

I would disagree here (as FilmMixer) eluded to above. If you have to adjust the volume level through the film, it doesn't mean that the BD disc is not a reference recording, it may mean that your room &/or equipment needs reference work...

#1,014 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B /forum/post/14793409

I had to turn up the receiver higher than normal with this one, but then my sub almost blew apart when Iron Man went supersonic the first time. I like this movie and will play around with various settings.

And as far as a commentary... so much for it being the ultimate 2-disc set, eh?

Me too.

I think I'm going to turn my sub down a tad and maybe remove the port plug. Then up the volume on the receiver and see how the balance is.

#1,015 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 /forum/post/14792432

I know sorry, was more a question directed at Paramount.

Favs has done commentary work before, this smells like a double dip for the sequel

along w/a DC!

#1,016 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/14793993

I would disagree here (as FilmMixer) eluded to above. If you have to adjust the volume level through the film, it doesn't mean that the BD disc is not a reference recording, it may mean that your room &/or equipment needs reference work...

It's debatable....I'm not saying you're wrong but I have plenty of BDs that don't require me to play around with the volume. This just happens to be one of them...and if you're tiering the audio, this unfortunately would fall into tier 0 in my book. If I had a miniature theatre that was capable of handling the dynamic range of a theatre, this might change...again, debatable...

It's funny though, no one on the forums these days are allowed to criticize AQ and PQ....it always turns back around on your setup being the problem and not the audio or video encode

#1,017 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/14793993

Although my room/equipment is far from reference (indeed, most here would pull a muscle laughing), I don't understand why some feel that the volume needs to be tweaked at all. The only tweak I made was between the opening logos and the feature itself (I bumped the volume by about 3dB after the Paramount logo). The only conundrum I have is whether to press a lawsuit against SVS for threatening the structural integrity of my house
(I listen at about MV -13dB, and I still had to get some restorative dental work done)...

#1,018 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/14791658

Here's my take on this soundtrack:

1. Sometimes, the dialog was not as prominent and words sort of blended into the background sounds. Overall, dialog was at a decent level if not slightly lower than ideal. Grade: B.

2. I watched at -0 to +2. That is about 5 db-6 db higher than normal viewing levels.

3. Good surround effects but not a lot of ambient or aural ones. Overall, i'd rate the surround activity a B or B+.

4. Bass was powerful with some subsonic air movement. Grade A.

5. Dynamics were good but I've heard better. Grade B+.

Thanks for your input!

I give it a "B" across the board.

OK like "Transformers", just not in the ballpark of "LForDH".

(that's w/the volume turned up & didn't have dialog problems on my system)

And not as disappointing as "T2".

#1,019 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Kn0w /forum/post/14794138

It's debatable....I'm not saying you're wrong but I have plenty of BDs that don't require me to play around with the volume. This just happens to be one of them...and if you're tiering the audio, this unfortunately would fall into tier 0 in my book. If I had a miniature theatre that was capable of handling the dynamic range of a theatre, this might change...again, debatable...

It's funny though, no one on the forums these days are allowed to criticize AQ and PQ....it always turns back around on your setup being the problem and not the audio or video encode

Set ups are the usual issue. I don't think I have adjusted the level during a film in years. But I spent alot of time on acoustics and equipment choices in my room. If certain tracks cause to you play with the volume level, likely there are certain sweet spot frequencies getting hit that are exciting certain room modes in your theater.

I think it is OK to criticize AQ/PQ. Ralph Potts gave the flick a 98 in sound... I would've been more around 90. I trust Ralph's review, too... but we disagree here.

#1,020 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer /forum/post/14793281

Then DTS is quacking too... they also use dialog norm, and it is present on many DTS-HD MA discs..... and there's no need to guess how much to turn up your receiver... just check the dial norm offset on your receiver, for both DTS and Dolby..

If there is a +4 number, raise the volume 4 db..

If your processor gives you a negative number, use -31 as a zero reference... hence if you have a track with a dial norm of -27, turn the volume of 4db..

I don't know what discs you have, but Sony, for example, leaves Dial Norm "off".. your making a generalization, which isn't true in all cases.

Why doesn't all studios default dial norm to OFF like Sony?? As the previous poster mentioned, there's a perceived difference in quality between TrueHD and DTS-HD MA and PCM because Dial Norm in implemented more on TrueHD than DTS-HD MA.

Why even implement Dial Norm in the first place?? And don't even get me started on DRC....if users need it, they will enable it...I don't understand why TrueHD has the ability to toggle it....

#1,021 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman /forum/post/14792025

I'm happy to see that they kept the grain. By the way, the first post was made back in June after I had seen the movie at the theater thinking, man this is really grainy.

Grainy? Yes, I saw grain, but it wasn't a lot. It was probably less grainy than Transformers. In fact, the dark scenes didnt seem to have too much. It was shot on Super 35 which explains why it was low grain.

I think sometimes watching a film in the movie theater will have extra grain because the film they show you is a copy of the original which adds more grain to it --(can someone with better knowledge confirm this?)

As far as the sound, I'll check my settings again. All I know is Kill Bill and Transformers play fine and are probably the best I've ever heard. This wasn't bad by any means, it just wasn't "mixed" as well or something. If I have DRC on, I'll have to reevaluate it and retract my statements. As far as pops, I maybe heard one, but after watching Harold and Kumar escape from gbay, the one pop on Iron Man is nothing to worry about

#1,022 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/14791935

Ok, I have the "new" UPC. I'm using a Pioneer 51 player bitstreaming to a Denon 1909 AVR. DRC is turned off in the player. When the TrueHD track begins I dont see a "night mode" or "DRC" that triggers, I just get "Dial Norm. -4db" that I get for every Dolby track, not just TrueHD, and as far as I know, is not defeatable. Should I be set with the whole TrueHD/DRC thing?

If you are using bitstream output, the DRC setting in the player has no effect (DRC is always applied by the device that does the decoding). Make sure that you turn the receiver's "DRC" setting off. Note that the Denon has a "Dynamic Range Compression" setting too, which is *not* the same thing. If I remember correctly, the "DRC" option is only accessible while you are playing back a TrueHD track.

#1,023 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer /forum/post/14793281

eh, i don't know about that. true hd is becoming pretty legendary for a generally softer sounding soundtrack. still bit perfect mind you, but softer. is that generalizing? sure i suppose, but like i said, out of the 50 or so hd discs i own, if i had to rank them according to soundtrack, the top 10 would pretty much exclusively be pcm and/or dts hd ma. it could be in my head. then again, see the dark knight bd thread here and see how "thrilled" everyone there is with the choice of true hd...

#1,024 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain /forum/post/14794789

eh, i don't know about that. true hd is becoming pretty legendary for a generally softer sounding soundtrack. still bit perfect mind you, but softer..

`you cant be bit-perfect and softer at the same time.

Receivers seem to have a softer implementation of the paths they use after decoding Tru-HD. Thats a problem with receivers, not formats.

#1,025 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Kn0w /forum/post/14794265

Why doesn't all studios default dial norm to OFF like Sony?? As the previous poster mentioned, there's a perceived difference in quality between TrueHD and DTS-HD MA and PCM because Dial Norm in implemented more on TrueHD than DTS-HD MA.

Why even implement Dial Norm in the first place?? And don't even get me started on DRC....if users need it, they will enable it...I don't understand why TrueHD has the ability to toggle it....

The issues with this title are due to authoring issues, not the codec....

I've posted many times why Dial Norm exists, and I agree that the automatic enabling of DRC is not a good thing... can you point me to a list of DTS-HD MA titles that have DN off? I know that it is on in many DTS-HD MA favorites (like the Die Hard films...)

Both DTS and Dolby added it as part of their feature set, as their technologies are used in broadcast and other applications as well.... these codecs needed to be spread across a wide variety of implementations.

Why don't the other studios usually set dial norm to -31? You'd have to ask them, but there are reasons studios use it, and it is useful to a great majority of consumers in most applications..

#1,026 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon /forum/post/14794788

If you are using bitstream output, the DRC setting in the player has no effect (DRC is always applied by the device that does the decoding). Make sure that you turn the receiver's "DRC" setting off. Note that the Denon has a "Dynamic Range Compression" setting too, which is *not* the same thing. If I remember correctly, the "DRC" option is only accessible while you are playing back a TrueHD track.

For Onkyo 605 and probably higher models, late night does not work with BD. If you hit the late night button the display says "not available." So it appears to be a non-issue. I even tried it with a standard dvd played in my PS3 and it showed the same thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.