Gangs Of New York comparison with REMASTERED version update*PIX* - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 527 Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just picked this up at BB on sale for $5.99.

When I placed the order online, the pic on the site showed the remastered version. (box with the gold bars across the top and bottom)

I didn't look at the box until I got home. The artwork is that of the old 2008 version. (the little box stating that it's the 2008 version is in the lower corner + no gold bars). However, there is a sticker on the back over the UPC code. The code on the sticker is 031398134572. I searched it online and it comes up as the remaster's bar code. I haven't opened it yet and was wondering if anyone had come across this and if this is indeed the remastered disc with the old artwork.

EDIT: After looking around a bit more, it seems Lionsgate has chosen to put these stickers on the old release to get rid of them. I got screwed by BB.
I guess I'll take it back tomorrow. That's twice I've tried to get this movie and twice I've been screwed.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 527 Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 276
^^^^ Just make sure next time you end up with the right one, I bought the remastered version a few weeks ago, distributed by alliance up here, it's a beauty.
post #513 of 527 Old 02-17-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post

I just picked this up at BB on sale for $5.99.

When I placed the order online, the pic on the site showed the remastered version. (box with the gold bars across the top and bottom)

I didn't look at the box until I got home. The artwork is that of the old 2008 version. (the little box stating that it's the 2008 version is in the lower corner + no gold bars). However, there is a sticker on the back over the UPC code. The code on the sticker is 031398134572. I searched it online and it comes up as the remaster's bar code. I haven't opened it yet and was wondering if anyone had come across this and if this is indeed the remastered disc with the old artwork.

EDIT: After looking around a bit more, it seems Lionsgate has chosen to put these stickers on the old release to get rid of them. I got screwed by BB.
I guess I'll take it back tomorrow. That's twice I've tried to get this movie and twice I've been screwed.

I'm sure they have the new version on the shelf somewhere.

Michael

Collection: DVD | High-def
post #514 of 527 Old 05-02-2014, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I recently got around to picking this up at Best Buy the other day when shopping for a new computer (along with the Blu-ray of Battleship -- GOD is Brooklyn Decker sexy or what?) and I of course was well aware of the whole "remastering" debacle of this title, wherein the first BD release was supposedly riddled with an awful looking transfer. However, the version I picked up, for around 12 or 13 bucks, didn't include a slipcase and boasted what appears to be the ORIGINAL disc's cover, like this:

But after watching the disc a couple of times already, I don't see ANY of the issues people were talking about with regard to how bad the first transfer of this film on Blu-ray looked -- adding more of a mystery is the fact that the original release, which I thought I bought, was supposed to have an uncompressed PCM mix, but the version I have boasts the DTS-HD Master Audio track which was supposed to be on the NEW remastered version, seen here:

I don't understand what's going on here; do I in fact have the NEW REMASTERED version or do I have the ORIGINAL version? The cover of the disc I bought seems to have the original disc's artwork (for Region A) -- but the video transfer looks great and the audio is in DTS-HD Master Audio, not PCM...

Can anyone confirm this for me?

post #515 of 527 Old 05-02-2014, 03:41 PM

Anyone?

post #516 of 527 Old 05-02-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
You have the new version. The artwork changed, when certain Miramax titles were absorbed by Lionsgate.

The fact that it doesn't look like s***, is the biggest giveaway. wink.gif
post #517 of 527 Old 05-03-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

You have the new version. The artwork changed, when certain Miramax titles were absorbed by Lionsgate.

Thank you, Raoul...

post #518 of 527 Old 05-03-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Liked: 12
Silly W-abits, Pix are 4 kids! wink.gif

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #519 of 527 Old 05-03-2014, 04:40 PM

What?

post #520 of 527 Old 05-04-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

What?

Join the Dread Wabbits and you'll know! wink.gif

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #521 of 527 Old 05-04-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

Join the Dread Wabbits and you'll know! wink.gif

I know that was the name of Neeson's character's gang...

post #522 of 527 Old 05-05-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

From the pic above, the case art claims that the disc comes with an UltraViolet Digital Copy. That immediately marks it as a recent reissue. Neither of the original releases (crappy transfer or remastered) came with UV copies. Since it's a new reissue, I would hope that the studio would use the remastered transfer.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #523 of 527 Old 05-05-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

I know that was the name of Neeson's character's gang...[/quote wink.gif

A gang! That's demeaning! Us Wabbits are a politically active, social organization! wink.gif

post #524 of 527 Old 05-06-2014, 09:38 AM

Liked: 10

Hi all, I have a LaserDisc setup question and didn't know where else to post this (I'm new to forums). I have 2 old players; a 1990 Panasonic LX-1000U player that I'm currently using, hooked up to my stereo and 32" SONY LED TV and I also have a Pioneer CLD-D505 from 1996, in storage. I just tripled my LaserDisc collection and plan on watching a lot more, (like hundreds) so want to make sure I'm using the best setup. Should I add or replace anything in my current setup (like a line doubler or deinterlacer) or am I getting a fine picture quality as it is? I don't have any reference, since the only time I've seen a LaserDisc is at my home, in this fashion. Thanks for any advice, Tad

post #525 of 527 Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Look! It's a bird, no, it's a plane, what, it's a chick, no, it's Laser Woman! wink.gif Check your PM's Tadorama!

post #526 of 527 Old 05-06-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadorama View Post

Hi all, I have a LaserDisc setup question and didn't know where else to post this (I'm new to forums). I have 2 old players; a 1990 Panasonic LX-1000U player that I'm currently using, hooked up to my stereo and 32" SONY LED TV and I also have a Pioneer CLD-D505 from 1996, in storage. I just tripled my LaserDisc collection and plan on watching a lot more, (like hundreds) so want to make sure I'm using the best setup. Should I add or replace anything in my current setup (like a line doubler or deinterlacer) or am I getting a fine picture quality as it is? I don't have any reference, since the only time I've seen a LaserDisc is at my home, in this fashion. Thanks for any advice, Tad

Although it may seem counter-intuitive, Laserdisc discussion on this site mainly takes place in the DVD Players forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/18/dvd-players-standard-def

As I recall, the Panasonic LX-1000U was a pretty good player. The Pioneer CLD-D505 was mediocre. "Line doublers" are antiquated technology. The processing chip built into your TV is likely better at that job already.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #527 of 527 Old 05-06-2014, 02:32 PM

Thanx Josh,

What also threw me was that the version I picked up had the DTS Master Audio soundtrack, not the PCM mix...

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page