Gangs Of New York comparison with REMASTERED version update*PIX* - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 527 Old 07-05-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

So uh, does the U.S. release have wierd transparent lines down the edge of both sides of the screen? The UK version sure as hell does. Anything that passes through them blurs. I'm trying to find out if Disney actually used the same master as the UK release, it would be sad and funny at the same time.

Yes, the American disc has that as well. That one may be an issue with the original photography, in which case some mild cropping might have been beneficial (I don't usually advocate cropping).

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 527 Old 07-05-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbird View Post

So, would this be considered a good transfer of a terrible master? I've always wondered how to distinguish between a transfer and its master.

Honestly, does it matter? They screwed up one place or the other and the final product looks awful. Whether they screwed up at the master or the disc transfer, bad is bad.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #93 of 527 Old 07-05-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
agreed.
Putting this out in 2008 is pretty ballsy.

post #94 of 527 Old 07-05-2008, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seeing transfers like Gangs makes you really appreciate the better transfers out there. It's also kind of a window into the past. 6 years ago this is what was acceptable for a HD master. Scorsese and/or the DP probably even oversaw it and approved it.
post #95 of 527 Old 07-05-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

The original telecine transfer of film to digital could have been fine. The digital master was image processed to hell to, which we see here.

I see, thanks for the insight.
post #96 of 527 Old 07-05-2008, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

An utter disgrace that will not be recalled or fixed unless Scorsese himself is made aware and believe me, he isn't.

He doesn't look at what the studio does with his movies?!?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #97 of 527 Old 07-06-2008, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Have you received GONY BD from France ?

No, the Amazon listing says, "Usually ships in 7 to 11 days". It will probably be a little while.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #98 of 527 Old 07-06-2008, 05:49 AM

Wow, after reading the comments both here and elsewhere, Disney should pull and recall the GONY Blu-ray edition. Disney's rep for being one of the best looking and sounding Blu-ray producers seems definitely at risk here...
post #99 of 527 Old 07-06-2008, 11:58 AM

Someone should forward a link to this thread to Disney.
post #100 of 527 Old 07-06-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousK View Post

Someone should forward a link to this thread to Disney.

I already did that along with a clear explanation of the issue and Robert Harris' "few words" thoughts. I don't expect anything other than a generic reply, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt.
post #101 of 527 Old 07-06-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

I already did that along with a clear explanation of the issue and Robert Harris' "few words" thoughts. I don't expect anything other than a generic reply, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt.

Good, thanks for doing that.

Even if they give the generic response, at least we know they'll be aware of this. Whether or not they choose to do anything is another story...I'd like to think they would considering they fixed the POTC framing issue and in comparison that was incredibly minor. This is a much more obvious problem.
post #102 of 527 Old 07-06-2008, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I submitted this to a HD news site that gets a good amount of hits. Hopefully with enough negative press we can get Disney to do a replacement.

Michael

Collection:
|
post #103 of 527 Old 07-06-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousK View Post

Good, thanks for doing that.

Even if they give the generic response, at least we know they'll be aware of this. Whether or not they choose to do anything is another story...I'd like to think they would considering they fixed the POTC framing issue and in comparison that was incredibly minor. This is a much more obvious problem.

I wouldn't imagine they would fix this. They had close to a decade to come up with a new master or clean it up. If they didn't take the time before the actual release, can't see why they would now.

The POTC issue, nobody was aware of until AVS brought it to attention. Like, I said, they've had this transfer/master right in front of their faces for close to a decade.

You know "that look" women get when they want sex? Me neither. - Steve Martin
post #104 of 527 Old 07-06-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrackedJack View Post

I wouldn't imagine they would fix this. They had close to a decade to come up with a new master or clean it up. If they didn't take the time before the actual release, can't see why they would now.

The POTC issue, nobody was aware of until AVS brought it to attention. Like, I said, they've had this transfer/master right in front of their faces for close to a decade.

well, actually only 5 years but yeah.

post #105 of 527 Old 07-06-2008, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

He doesn't look at what the studio does with his movies?!?

They, or the DP will approve the xfer and that is it.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

post #106 of 527 Old 07-06-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:

They, or the DP will approve the xfer and that is it.

In my experience, most directors I've worked with, or the picture editor, in addition to the DP, approve the telecines/DI xfers of their films.

This upcoming week, I am going to try and speak with somebody who should be able to talk directly to the one person who can do something about this.
post #107 of 527 Old 07-06-2008, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Thanks a ton FilmMixer. Were you involved in the sound mixing for GONY ?

No.... there is a team that has been in place in New York that's done almost all of his films for the last 22 years...
post #108 of 527 Old 07-07-2008, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

oh well, my german version will arrive today and will post some screenies...

btw, the Australian version might be our last hope. I have the Australian DVD and its made by SONY .... which means they also have the rights down under....

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...ws.asp?ID=3035
post #109 of 527 Old 07-07-2008, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've spoken to a number of directors about DVD's. All said they had no real involvement after they took part in the transfer. Why? Because by that point they want to move on to the next project. They don't want to see that film anymore.

The reasons are varied and complicated. One big one is that few directors have the power to control how their films look on DVD or BD. Look at Michael Bay and the TRANSFORMERS. He had zero say.

post #110 of 527 Old 07-07-2008, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Not only that Matt, but look what happened to the Star Wars Episode 1 DVD. You had George Lucas who was strongly involved with THX, and yet even he had a DVD come out with horrible edge enhancement. If something like that can slip by someone technically knowledgable like Lucas, what are the odds a less technically knowledgable director would even have a chance?
post #111 of 527 Old 07-07-2008, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've spoken to a number of directors about DVD's. All said they had no real involvement after they took part in the transfer. Why? Because by that point they want to move on to the next project. They don't want to see that film anymore.

The reasons are varied and complicated. One big one is that few directors have the power to control how their films look on DVD or BD. Look at Michael Bay and the TRANSFORMERS. He had zero say.

Matt.. I actually misread your original reply, and we are saying the same thing.

New Line and Lionsgate are really good about soliciting feedback, and giving film makers the opportunity, to follow through on the entire process...

Most other studios... no so much.
post #112 of 527 Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:

You sure about that? From what I've heard he had signed off on the video transfer for the HD DVD.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #113 of 527 Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 AM

Yikes
post #114 of 527 Old 07-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Which is why I kneel at the throne of Criterion.

post #115 of 527 Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

You sure about that? From what I've heard he had signed off on the video transfer for the HD DVD.

I think what Matt might be referring to is that ruckus Bay raised about the movie being exclusive to HD DVD at the time. He wanted it on Blu-ray instead, but Paramount told him he had no say in the matter.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #116 of 527 Old 07-07-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What Josh said.

Thanks, Josh.

post #117 of 527 Old 07-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Oh boy, what a disaster!

Will i ever be able to enjoy this masterpiece appropriately in my humble theater?

A good chance to note down names of reviewers / people / sites given this anything but the lowest score in PQ.

Sigh.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')

|
post #118 of 527 Old 07-07-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Bjoern,

That is a nice "humble" theater you have.

When are you going to update your site?

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening
post #119 of 527 Old 07-07-2008, 01:54 PM

Liked: 14
I just wanted to chime in on this thread and express my support for Xylon, Robert Harris, and everyone else who is fighting to ensure that all Blu-ray releases are accurate reflections of filmmaker intent, and are presented in the absolute best quality possible.

I've been watching the Blu-ray release of Mad Men this past week, and the absolutely drop-dead gorgeous transfer of this TV show on Blu-ray completely outclasses Gangs of New York, one of the best movies of 2002, in every conceivable way. Disney ought to be hanging their heads in shame for pushing this junk on us.

I'm working on letters (snail mail!) to both Martin Scorsese and Disney asking them to revisit this title, preferably with an exchange, but if necessary a future "special edition" to finally give this title the care and respect that it deserves. Not sure if it will do any good, but it sure feels better than doing nothing.

Movies look their best when they look like movies. More Patton-esque remasters!

post #120 of 527 Old 07-07-2008, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Thanx to all of the pros that have cleared up, for us lay people, this whole film-to-video transfer system and how mucked up it is.

I didn't realize Directors had such little say on the quality of DVDs and BDs of their films.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page