Liked: 16
Attack of the lizard men.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #244 of 365 Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
OT, So what does this hold for Se7en ? am I the only one who wants the silver nitrate print ?
The grain structure was more visible and the contrast was bolder, are we writing off New line ? was Shoot Em Up a happy accident
post #245 of 365 Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 AM

Liked: 10
Do New line even exist anymore? wont Warner do all their transfers from now on?
post #246 of 365 Old 08-12-2008, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

OT, So what does this hold for Se7en ? am I the only one who wants the silver nitrate print ?
The grain structure was more visible and the contrast was bolder, are we writing off New line ? was Shoot Em Up a happy accident

What's this about a silver nitrate print? I do know that any difference between the original version on DVD and the Platinum Series releases for Se7en were completely intentional. There's even a special feature on Fincher and his DP going over the color timing in every shot. The SE for Se7en is definitely one of my favorite DVDs out there. If that movie gets screwed over with DNR or a sub-par transfer/encode, heads will roll.
post #247 of 365 Old 08-12-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romerojpg View Post

Do New line even exist anymore? wont Warner do all their transfers from now on?

To the best of my knowledge, GDMX is doing everything.

Alex doesn't live here anymore
post #248 of 365 Old 08-12-2008, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

The cutscenes in Dark City The Video Game are looking good.

Really not too far from Half-life 2:
post #249 of 365 Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

It's all pretty sharp IMO but the DNR and EE kill it.
post #250 of 365 Old 08-13-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

Definitely wasn't in my experience. DNR or out of focus, definitely some blurry shots of Connelly.
post #251 of 365 Old 08-13-2008, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, but they were always blurry and there's no way to fix them. So they get a pass.
post #252 of 365 Old 08-13-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I mentioned this on the other thread but I thought the theatrical cut looked better imo.

Still i was not that impressed, some scenes I could do a comparison and my a20 with the abt chip for scaling and flea combination for compression noise, detail enhancement could come close to some of the scenes in the movie.

I dont get why alot of the scenes looked so flat.

I gave the video of the theatrical cut 3/5, I did not like the director cut video maybe its my imagination but i thought it was worse.
post #253 of 365 Old 08-13-2008, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I paid 35 dollars for this in canada, and 35 for gangs I know going in there was problems but I needed these movies in my collection because I liked them so much, couldnt the studio at least give the fans a better effort.

There should be quality standards put in place. I dont think blue ray is an accepted format by mass markets at all, I could see a potential blue ray user see a good transfer and say wow, and then see something like gangs of new york and say blue ray quality is to inconsistent
post #254 of 365 Old 08-13-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

I paid 35 dollars for this in canada, and 35 for gangs I know going in there was problems but I needed these movies in my collection because I liked them so much, couldnt the studio at least give the fans a better effort.

Amazon.com is your friend if you live in Canada and want to buy Blu-ray's.
post #255 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Looked ok to me at 185".

Serving IMHD, IMConnect, FAVIA
post #256 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

No, there are just some great shots with fine detail and some blurry shots.

The blurry shots are a separate phenomenon from the DNR. Based on my experience watching the DC, the DNR is almost always there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

Totally agree on the bolded part. It's pretty much ruined.
post #257 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazon.com is great, but usually 2 weeks to get to canada, plus i think shipping is usually 8 dollars. Im still paying close to the same amount.
post #258 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Amazon.com is great, but usually 2 weeks to get to canada, plus i think shipping is usually 8 dollars. Im still paying close to the same amount.

4 days on average to my door at least in Canada with all of my orders (15-20 of them) with $8 shipping for 1 movie and $3 per additional movie but no taxes on any of them. It's usually only a small saving on 1 movie but the more movies it really adds up.

For example Dark City was $18.95 from Amazon and even if you ordered it by itself that would have been a total of 26.95 plus about 5% on the exchange rate = $28.30 Cdn to your door.

Anyway - just so you know. I wish stores up here would sell at more reasonable prices.
post #259 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #260 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

The blurry shots are a separate phenomenon from the DNR. Based on my experience watching the DC, the DNR is almost always there.

Totally agree on the bolded part. It's pretty much ruined.

Well we've had different experiences watching the DC. Well if minor DNR still leads to reference quality shots then maybe it is in almost every scene.
post #261 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well we've had different experiences watching the DC. Well if minor DNR still leads to reference quality shots then maybe it is in almost every scene.

Yes, we have clearly had different experiences here. To me the DNR is "minor" only in comparison to something like Patton.
post #262 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Member bashing and discussions of illegal activities removed. Please read the rules. kthxbye

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #263 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Yes, we have clearly had different experiences here. To me the DNR is "minor" only in comparison to something like Patton.

Haven't watched that one, though I did buy it for my dad as a birthday present "greatest movie ever" according to him. Maybe Apacolypto, Transformers are all DNR'd every second as well but on my setup they look reference.

--
edit:
Not sure where the DNR (maybe cirlce it for me in red?) is in this shot but it looks great on my setup. I don't watch movies at 400% zoom.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...blu-ray131.jpg
post #264 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haven't watched that one, though I did buy it for my dad as a birthday present "greatest movie ever" according to him. Maybe Apacolypto, Transformers are all DNR'd every second as well but on my setup they look reference.

--
edit:
Not sure where the DNR (maybe cirlce it for me in red?) is in this shot but it looks great on my setup. I don't watch movies at 400% zoom.

I don't watch them at 400% zoom either, but I do watch them at a viewing distance of one screen width, which brings out a lot (sometimes good, sometimes bad) that is not so apparent at a greater viewing distance.
post #265 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Alot of discussion on the DNR, but what I am personally more concerned with is the edge enhancement issues being reported.

Still waiting for a copy from netflix.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #266 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:

I don't watch them at 400% zoom either, but I do watch them at a viewing distance of one screen width, which brings out a lot (sometimes good, sometimes bad) that is not so apparent at a greater viewing distance.

So in that picture Patrick, where do I find the DNR?

I'm using a 1080p 24fps 60" at about 8", which is more than adequate for my eyes to see the tiny details or lack of depending on the content or shot.
post #267 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So in that picture Patrick, where do I find the DNR?

I'm using a 1080p 24fps 60" at about 8", which is more than adequate for my eyes to see the tiny details or lack of depending on the content or shot.

Unlike some, I don't think that screenshots are the best way to judge whether DNR is or is not present, although screenshots do give some sense as to the presence of EE. I don't suppose you have a timecode for that shot, to make it possible to look at it in the context of the actual movie on the BD?

I personally did not form an opinion on the presence of DNR in DC DC until I actually watched the BD.
post #268 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Unlike some, I don't think that screenshots are the best way to judge whether DNR is or is not present, although screenshots do give some sense as to the presence of EE. I don't suppose you have a timecode for that shot, to make it possible to look at it in the context of the actual movie on the BD?

I personally did not form an opinion on the presence of DNR in DC DC until I actually watched the BD.

Hmm, well I don't see any in that grab or on my display and you didn't point any out in that 1080p grab either. FYI, I don't know the exact second as I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure it is within the first 5 minutes so I should be able to find it easily.

Maybe it is like an early spot where you couldn't make out something and others can. Might just be the display. I've used plasma's that had ugldy banding and made faces look funky, clayish similar to DNR when using the same content, same player looked great on my display.

I agree that watching the movie gives a much better way to judge the movie. Which is why I feel the way I do (Like many others I also had expected much worse from reading posts here before watching). Of course we all have different equipment, environments, physical differences (hearing and visual abilities) as well.
post #269 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm, well I don't see any in that grab or on my display and you didn't point any out in that 1080p grab either. FYI, I don't know the exact second as I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure it is within the first 5 minutes so I should be able to find it easily.

Maybe it is like an early spot where you couldn't make out something and others can. Might just be the display. I've used plasma's that had ugldy banding and made faces look funky, clayish similar to DNR when using the same content, same player looked great on my display.

I agree that watching the movie gives a much better way to judge the movie. Which is why I feel the way I do (Like many others I also had expected much worse from reading posts here before watching). Of course we all have different equipment, environments, physical differences (hearing and visual abilities) as well.

Those of us that see DNR in DCDC when we watch it have generally watched many other BDs on the same equipment we are using to watch DCDC and have seen many BDs with no similar problems.
post #270 of 365 Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Those of us that see DNR in DCDC when we watch it have generally watched many other BDs on the same equipment we are using to watch DCDC and have seen many BDs with no similar problems.

I've watched many other BD's as well on my gear (just as I'm sure a lot people here have, plus professional reviewers like Ken Brown who also reviewed DC). Some movies are poor quality and some spectacular and every in between. I'm happy that I'm fortunate enough to have such nice gear that makes it easy to distinguish and appreciate the quality of blu-ray movies. I've gone through several displays simply from being a bit anal on my gear. I thought some movies had banding/clay faces that didn't simply due to the displays, etc..

FYI, I'm not saying I don't see any DNR in the movie, just disagreeing in that for my setup it isn't almost always there. Anyways we simply disagree and that's that. I pulled the that screen grab to see if maybe I was missing something that you were seeing, but that wasn't the case in that instance..

There are probably varrying levels of DNR as well in different encodes, and IMO it isn't always "evil" depending on how the tool is used. Not stating I like it being used in general. I've said in the past I thought it would be a good feature to have in the players for those that want to use it.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page