AVS Forum banner

U-571 comparison *PIX*

35K views 183 replies 73 participants last post by  Stereodude 
#1 ·
#153 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 /forum/post/14511579

People bitching on reviews about things being too grainy are the problem.. If they get their scores knocked down because of grain, then if they eliminate on the next release they figure they will get better reviews. Better reviews = more sales. Blame uninformed reviewers like IGN on this..

No, blame our forum and that awful PQ Tier thread at the top that is still stickied.
And blame IGN too.

#154 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/14540758

My Kaspersky internet security is telling me that one of the links is a phishing site....is anyone else getting this or is Kaspersky screwed up...I reported it to the forum administrators.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9...1hdcompsi3.png

It says the above is a phishing site...When i click it my Kaspersky tells me it is a phishing site and refuses to open the page with an access denied and i recommend no one else does without security on their computer clicks it until someone clarifies that Kaspersky might be wrong. This is only happening on page 3 of this thread ( I have it set up to show 50 posts a page )

To the moderators....I thought i should post this just in case it really is serious but if Kaspersky is wrong then delete my post.

I wish I read your post sooner. Kram used that PNG IMAGE to remote into my computer and steal my credit card numbers!

(it's fine, it's a image... on imageshack)

#155 ·
They've got the audio right, hopefully it won't take long for them to start using the space and bandwidth properly.

I wasn't looking forward to the visuals on this release, it's always been a title to show off audio since the 754kbps DVD release. However I won't buy it now as I don't want to send the message to the studio that ****** devoid-of-fine-detail releases are okay in my book just because they put a lossless audio track on it.

#156 ·
Here are my questions. These are open to anyone who has watched the two discs (not just looked at the screen shots in this thread).

- Is the Blu-ray consistently softer than the HD DVD through the whole movie, or just selected shots?

- How visible is this during regular playback? If it is visible at all, how much of a subjective improvement is there? 5%? 10%? More? Less?

- If there wasn't a direct comparison with the HD DVD, would you say that the Blu-ray looks "bad"? Would you say that it looked obviously DNR'ed or otherwise filtered, or is that something you can only say by looking at the direct comparison screen shots?

I will ask these same questions but reverse the formats in the Miami Vice thread.

#157 ·
Right of the bat in motion the BD has a bit of a smeared quality too it. Does it look bad? No. Is it distracting and take you out of the movie a little? Yes.

The smoothed over look is consistent.

And without a direct comparison, even with I wouldn't say that the BD looks bad. But It does look smoothed and it is distracting.

To be honest, it still looks pretty good it has good picture depth.

I don't have a copy of MV HDD, so I can't comment on that.

#158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/14542882

Here are my questions. These are open to anyone who has watched the two discs (not just looked at the screen shots in this thread).

- Is the Blu-ray consistently softer than the HD DVD through the whole movie, or just selected shots?

- How visible is this during regular playback? If it is visible at all, how much of a subjective improvement is there? 5%? 10%? More? Less?

- If there wasn't a direct comparison with the HD DVD, would you say that the Blu-ray looks "bad"? Would you say that it looked obviously DNR'ed or otherwise filtered, or is that something you can only say by looking at the direct comparison screen shots?

I will ask these same questions but reverse the formats in the Miami Vice thread.

Good questions. I don't have HD DVD anymore, but will be renting the BD version and will post my thoughts and equipment used, etc.

#160 ·
I am going to rip a new ******* in everyone of those little ********s on the net that complained about the grain so much that the companies are going apeshit with the DNR on the BD versions!!!!!!!

And if "The Thing" my absolute favorite movie of all time get´s the same DNR treatment, there is no word to describe the fury that will be unleashed on the ones responsible.

Send the word to the so called "reviewers" (or should I say IDIOTS) at IGN that hell is coming for `em. This time it´s personal

Time to get a HD-DVD player again

#164 ·
I bought the BD this Sat for the upgrade (supposed upgrade) of HD DTS MA, which I love. The HD-DVD has awesome AQ, hopefully this BD blows that way!

#166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/14712875

The depth charges are really something else.

I'll have it on tonite, for sure. And I'll report on any subjective PQ differences I might notice between the BD and HD-DVD (I have both format discs).

#167 ·
Gots me a DTheater tape and the BD as a rental and will have some fun tonight.

#168 ·
OK so here are my subjective opinions after watching the HD-DVD and now the BD:

The picture is a bit soft (as in lacking detail), the flesh tones are off, with an orangish/reddish tint to them. The picture is clear though, it looks just fine to me, but I know that I've seen better from other BD releases. Not quite sure on the audio yet, I need to watch a bit more of it tonite.

On a side note, I found it mildly amusing that the front page menu is a dupe of the HD-DVD menu, but with the BD logo (of course).

Edit:: Since ya'll will ask: PS3 > HDMI > Onkyo 605 > HDMI > Samsung HLS-5687W

#169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince2909 /forum/post/14720558

The picture is a bit soft (as in lacking detail), the flesh tones are off, with an orangish/reddish tint to them. The picture is clear though, it looks just fine to me, but I know that I've seen better from other BD releases. Not quite sure on the audio yet, I need to watch a bit more of it tonite.

As the direct screencaps show, colors (including skin tones) have not changed at all between the two releases. In fact, visually, I believe the DNR is the only difference. If you watch the HD-DVD and then the Blu-ray and the colors are different, that should be due to something in your setup, perhaps the settings you're using on your PS3 (superwhite, RGB full, etc).

#170 ·
Amazing how the old DTheater DVHS tape looks best, isn't it? Universal should be kicked in the balls for this kind of thing.

#171 ·
Just picked up this title, got a good price on it at Fry's. Just put the disc in and I am experiencing some audio problems. I have a Panny BD10A running 7.1 analogs out to a Yamaha 5890. When playing the DTS HD track the center channel sounds like its way over modulated, dialog sound is all muddled, and during action sequences is unbearable. Everything else seems ok surrounds seem louder than usual.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I have played lots of DTS HD MA discs before and never had a problem.

#173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 /forum/post/14726093

Just picked up this title, got a good price on it at Fry's. Just put the disc in and I am experiencing some audio problems. I have a Panny BD10A running 7.1 analogs out to a Yamaha 5890. When playing the DTS HD track the center channel sounds like its way over modulated, dialog sound is all muddled, and during action sequences is unbearable. Everything else seems ok surrounds seem louder than usual.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I have played lots of DTS HD MA discs before and never had a problem.

You probably just need to update your firmware to version 2.5, which can be downloaded here.

#175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb /forum/post/14726867

You probably just need to update your firmware to version 2.5, which can be downloaded here.

That did the trick, I was running version 2.2

#176 ·
I actually watched the BD last night - rented it through Netflix. When watching it, it's not that bad really (on 60" display). Still plenty of good detail although it's clear it has been grain reduced. One positive is they seemed to have removed most of the occasional dirt and specs seen on the HD DVD. However, they still should have not reduced the grain for obvious reasons. If you don't own HD DVD, I'd still recommend it as it will be a HUGE improvement over the SD DVD. Also, the DTS-MA track is excellent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.