Smallville Season 7 on Blu 7-per-disc! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 09-05-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Ok... I'm not really complaining I guess since I watched disc 1 (yes I got mine early) and the episodes look good...

But I was surprised to see 20 episodes on only 3 Blu ray discs. First 2 discs have 7 episodes each. There are also deleted scenes and a few bonus extras as well.

So anyway, I'm thinking... DVD seasons have been 4 episodes per disc (with 9 GB DVDs)... and the Blu ray is 7 episodes per 50GB Blu ray. Now I know the DVDs are MPEG2 vs MPEG4 for Blu... but even still, it seems kind of crammed to put almost twice the amount of episodes per disc.

Like I said, I'm not officially complaining... but it did make me wonder if it was possible the quality could have been even better if they did their normal spacing per disc.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 09-05-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Ok... I'm not really complaining I guess since I watched disc 1 (yes I got mine early) and the episodes look good...

But I was surprised to see 20 episodes on only 3 Blu ray discs. First 2 discs have 7 episodes each. There are also deleted scenes and a few bonus extras as well.

So anyway, I'm thinking... DVD seasons have been 4 episodes per disc (with 9 GB DVDs)... and the Blu ray is 7 episodes per 50GB Blu ray. Now I know the DVDs are MPEG2 vs MPEG4 for Blu... but even still, it seems kind of crammed to put almost twice the amount of episodes per disc.

Like I said, I'm not officially complaining... but it did make me wonder if it was possible the quality could have been even better if they did their normal spacing per disc.

Wow... I didn't know it was this bad. Warner gave Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles 3 discs at 3 eps per disc (though I'm not sure if it's 3 BD-25s or 3 BD-50s). Not sure what they are doing.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #3 of 37 Old 09-05-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

Wow... I didn't know it was this bad. Warner gave Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles 3 discs at 3 eps per disc (though I'm not sure if it's 3 BD-25s or 3 BD-50s). Not sure what they are doing.

I'm into the second disc and so far i think the quality is excellent despite the fact there is seven episodes per disc and deleted scenes in HD on the same disc. I noticed just a few minor issues with compression in a few scenes per episode but i had to look for them and personally they were very negligable and probably amount to no more than twenty seconds per episode....I don't know what they film Smallville with but there is fine grain/noise throughout so i don't think extreme filtering has been done to fit the episodes onto the disc....Minor smoothing possibly in some scenes but mostly excellent quality ...Great job by Warners ( In my opinion )

I recommend the boxset for all Smallville fans.
post #4 of 37 Old 09-05-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

I'm into the second disc and so far i think the quality is excellent despite the fact there is seven episodes per disc and deleted scenes in HD on the same disc. I noticed just a few minor issues with compression in a few scenes per episode but i had to look for them and personally they were very negligable and probably amount to no more than twenty seconds per episode....I don't know what they film Smallville with but there is fine grain/noise throughout so i don't think extreme filtering has been done to fit the episodes onto the disc....Minor smoothing possibly in some scenes but mostly excellent quality ...Great job by Warners ( In my opinion )

I recommend the boxset for all Smallville fans.

Good to hear. I have Seasons 5 and 6 of Smallville on HD DVD, and now that I think back, I think they put 4-5 eps per disk, so with 20 extra GB, it shouldnt be a stretch to think they'd squeeze another 2-3 eps per disc. Do you have s6 on blu? If so, how many eps did those have.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #5 of 37 Old 09-05-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I don't know what they film Smallville with but there is fine grain/noise throughout so i don't think extreme filtering has been done to fit the episodes onto the disc....

It's shot on 3 perf 35mm. Some scenes like the nightmares in "Scare" in season four were shot on super 16mm for the extra grain.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #6 of 37 Old 09-05-2008, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
S7 is clearly the worst ever (the writers strike affect it?), after having great seasons in 4 & 5 and a mediocre 6. I'm still on board, however. New producers were brought on, so there's hope there won't be another letdown this coming season.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #7 of 37 Old 09-05-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

S7 is clearly the worst ever (the writers strike affect it?), after having great seasons in 4 & 5 and a mediocre 6. I'm still on board, however. New producers were brought on, so there's hope there won't be another letdown this coming season.

Season 5 was my favorite so far and season 6 second fav followed by season 4 but season 7 is still pretty good just not as good as season 4, 5 or 6. It's still better than most tv out there and Tom Welling still reminds me of Christopher Reeve when he smiles or has that glint in his eye.

Quote:

Good to hear. I have Seasons 5 and 6 of Smallville on HD DVD, and now that I think back, I think they put 4-5 eps per disk, so with 20 extra GB, it shouldnt be a stretch to think they'd squeeze another 2-3 eps per disc. Do you have s6 on blu? If so, how many eps did those have.

This is my first season watching in HD....Looking forward to Lost season 4 later in the year.
post #8 of 37 Old 09-05-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:

They're not new producers. They've been producers for several seasons and have pretty much been in charge for several seasons while Al and Miles worked on other projects (Mummy 3). So, don't get your hopes up too high.
post #9 of 37 Old 09-05-2008, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 76
20 hour long episodes on three discs sounds like the typical Warner Blu-ray quality we've all become accustomed to these past months.
post #10 of 37 Old 09-06-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
They're not new producers. They've been producers for several seasons and have pretty much been in charge for several seasons while Al and Miles worked on other projects (Mummy 3). So, don't get your hopes up too high.

Al and Miles are who I was referring to. They're supposedly the reason "Clark"
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
hasn't flown yet....not saying that ability will actually better the show....
Anyways, I'll still watch, this probably being the last season and all.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #11 of 37 Old 09-06-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:

Discs 1 and 3 are BD-50s and 2 is a BD-25. I don't know why they did this because they wasted a tremendous amount of space on each disc with just the run-of-the-mill DD audio tracks.
post #12 of 37 Old 09-06-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Smallville, when watched OTA, is not one of the sharper HD programs anyway. The grain appears to either be intentional or at least not a concern... and the Blu ray matches or exceeds what I saw via OTA so I'm not disappointed.

I am, however, hoping this is not going to be a trend... because it seems to me they really should not pack 7 episodes on the same disc.

I think this might have been more of an issue if we were dealing with one of those more photo-realistic-no-grain productions.

post #13 of 37 Old 09-06-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:

I think this might have been more of an issue if we were dealing with one of those more photo-realistic-no-grain productions.

If shot on film then grain is good and i wish people realised that.

As for no grain productions....It would be easier to fit seven episodes without grain on a disc as grain represents a challenge to the compressionist.

Just remember when shot on film grain is good and removing it will usually remove detail.
post #14 of 37 Old 09-06-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If shot on film then grain is good and i wish people realised that.

As for no grain productions....It would be easier to fit seven episodes without grain on a disc as grain represents a challenge to the compressionist.

Just remember when shot on film grain is good and removing it will usually remove detail.

Oh, I know all about that... Grain is good when it is supposed to be there. I also understand how "grain" can either be intended grain from the film OR can appear to be grain because of poor overcompression.

When there is intended grain, however, poor overcompression can be somewhat obscured since you are expecting to see grain and are not surprised... whereas if there isn't supposed to be any grain the overcompression shows up pretty quickly.

post #15 of 37 Old 09-06-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Oh, I know all about that... Grain is good when it is supposed to be there. I also understand how "grain" can either be intended grain from the film OR can appear to be grain because of poor overcompression.

When there is intended grain, however, poor overcompression can be somewhat obscured since you are expecting to see grain and are not surprised... whereas if there isn't supposed to be any grain the overcompression shows up pretty quickly.

Yes but what you are talking about is noise not grain....Noise can be easy to spot because with the noise there is usually a lack of detail and artifacts show up which shouldn't be there....Smallville season 7 has retained some very fine grain in it's image and i bet this looks better than any broadcast version of the show.

Don't take my word for it though....Go rent it or buy it and see for yourself....Some minor issues but overall a very good job by Warners on this release.
post #16 of 37 Old 09-06-2008, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes but what you are talking about is noise not grain....Noise can be easy to spot because with the noise there is usually a lack of detail and artifacts show up which shouldn't be there....Smallville season 7 has retained some very fine grain in it's image and i bet this looks better than any broadcast version of the show.

Don't take my word for it though....Go rent it or buy it and see for yourself....Some minor issues but overall a very good job by Warners on this release.

I already did buy it... been watching it too

I think we are just crossing on semantics. I do know what grain looks like (at least most of the time)... I was speaking more from the layman's point of view who may or may not know (all those folks who see grain and complain for example). To those folks grain=noise... and I suspect that overcompressed grain is not as obvious as noise without grain.

I admit, though, that I didn't take into consideration that a clean/no grain production should actually compress better than one with grain since that is extra data and more changes per frame to deal with.... so your earlier post was definately food for my thought there.

I'm not even in the "where is the lossless audio" camp, but it looks like this release just got standard Dolby Digital 5.1 with nothing special. Then again, I think someone in the general TV discussion thread for Smallville has said he isn't sure the show is even mixed in 5.1 in the first place.. so it's entirely possible this is the best sound they have for the show. However, if they put DTS or lossless then I'd hope they wouldn't have crammed 7 episodes on a disc.

By the same token... I really like 4 or 5 episodes to a disc for watchability, since I try to watch a whole disc at once and 3 hours is a good time, though sometimes I can hang for a 5th episode during a sitting... but it's hard to find a block of time to sit and watch 7 episodes, so I've been breaking in the middle of discs while watching this one thus far.

post #17 of 37 Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:

I already did buy it... been watching it too

I think we are just crossing on semantics. I do know what grain looks like (at least most of the time)... I was speaking more from the layman's point of view who may or may not know (all those folks who see grain and complain for example). To those folks grain=noise... and I suspect that overcompressed grain is not as obvious as noise without grain.

I admit, though, that I didn't take into consideration that a clean/no grain production should actually compress better than one with grain since that is extra data and more changes per frame to deal with.... so your earlier post was definately food for my thought there.

I'm not even in the "where is the lossless audio" camp, but it looks like this release just got standard Dolby Digital 5.1 with nothing special. Then again, I think someone in the general TV discussion thread for Smallville has said he isn't sure the show is even mixed in 5.1 in the first place.. so it's entirely possible this is the best sound they have for the show. However, if they put DTS or lossless then I'd hope they wouldn't have crammed 7 episodes on a disc.

By the same token... I really like 4 or 5 episodes to a disc for watchability, since I try to watch a whole disc at once and 3 hours is a good time, though sometimes I can hang for a 5th episode during a sitting... but it's hard to find a block of time to sit and watch 7 episodes, so I've been breaking in the middle of discs while watching this one thus far.

I tend to watch 4 episodes per day followed by 3....That way over 20 episodes i'll finish watching with the final 3 this Monday.

The Playstation remembers the exact spot you stopped the disc even if you take it out....That's great and i discovered that by accident.
post #18 of 37 Old 09-07-2008, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tend to watch 4 episodes per day followed by 3....That way over 20 episodes i'll finish watching with the final 3 this Monday.

The Playstation remembers the exact spot you stopped the disc even if you take it out....That's great and i discovered that by accident.

My HD-A3 player didn't remember... but my Samsung combo player does remember, so that is cool now to be able to do when I pause for a break.

I'm on the last disc myself, haven't started yet... but will try and make all 6 in one shot if I can... if not I'll probably stop at 4 and save the last 2 + remaining extras to watch in another session.

As the new seasons start (and NFL now as well) I'm going to have a lot less time to watch, so I was glad to get this shipped early. I still have an outside chance of finishing watching Smallville before it officially comes out on Tuesday!

post #19 of 37 Old 09-08-2008, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I wish WB would put a main menu on the blu-ray versions like every other manufacturer puts on their discs. Mine should arrive tomorrow.

Has anyone heard any news on when WB is going to release Season 5 on blu-ray? The one they skipped on blu for HD-DVD? This is about my last HD-DVD to be replaced.
post #20 of 37 Old 09-08-2008, 05:00 PM

i plan to get season 7 since i have 6th season on blu now where is season 5 thats my favorite

113 Blu ray movies 600+ dvd
post #21 of 37 Old 09-12-2008, 09:08 PM

Go figure, Smallville Season 7 is given a DD 5.1 audio track. I was just reading this review by Kenneth Brown. Finally a reviewer is giving Warner what they deserve. Here is an excerpt from his review:

"My disappointment remains. Warner is habitually slapping tired Dolby Digital tracks on their discs instead of giving fans the lossless mixes they deserve. While it may not be as damning for a television show like Smallville,' there's no excuse to toss a barebones track at people when better options are so readily available. Suffice to say, if you're satisfied with the DD tracks on previous Smallville' BD releases, you'll be satisfied with this one. Me? I guess I'm just a grumpy early adopter who expects more for my high-def buck."

It's about time. I hope Warner finally starts to listen. We DEMAND high-def audio on our high-def releases.
post #22 of 37 Old 09-13-2008, 12:02 AM

the 3 stars for PQ worries me the other sets have gotten 4 stars?!

Why cram 7 episodes on 1 disc and why DD5.1!

Warner needs to learn from Universal

HD DVD 300+
BD 500+
post #23 of 37 Old 09-13-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I don't understand the surprise here.

I've got S5 on HD DVD, the setup is 4/5/3/5/5 on 30GB discs with utilization from 16-24GB. AVBR around 14Mbps on each disc. The picture is noisy (grainy?) with plenty of macroblocking evident. I'm just glad they didn't DNR it to hell.
post #24 of 37 Old 09-14-2008, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

I don't understand the surprise here.

I've got S5 on HD DVD, the setup is 4/5/3/5/5 on 30GB discs with utilization from 16-24GB. AVBR around 14Mbps on each disc. The picture is noisy (grainy?) with plenty of macroblocking evident. I'm just glad they didn't DNR it to hell.

My surprise (since I started the thread) was since I had not bought previous HD or Blu releases. Now I am waiting to see if they release all the earlier seasons on Blu before buying either 5 (on HD DVD) or 6 on Blu. I had 1-6 already on SD before buying HD or Blu ray... so I'm buying new stuff on Blu but not going back and re-purchasing yet.

Had I bought the HD season 5, that is probably where I'd have been surprised too.. I think my double-surprise here was in realizing that Smallville still cranked out 20 episodes last season! Most shows only got 9-11 or so with the writers' strike... but I forgot Smallville actually came back after the strike and made a few more new episodes where other shows just shut things down for the year.

So I initially thought 3 discs seemed appropriate... like Sarah Connor or Pushing Daisies gets... but still 3 discs for Smallville and 20 episodes?

It just seemed odd that shows with half the episodes were getting the same number of discs as Smallville. I haven't actually looked, though, to see if Sarah Connor or Pushing Daisies are on BD-25 or BD-50, so that might be the explanation.

post #25 of 37 Old 09-14-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Just want to remind fans of the show that the season premiere is this Thursday.
post #26 of 37 Old 09-14-2008, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Just want to remind fans of the show that the season premiere is this Thursday.

Thanks... I almost missed seeing it myself but I have a habit now of checking "into the future" with my EPG on my DVR just for this sort of reason. Smallville is the only thing I watch on CW so it is really easy to not know it is coming.

Fortunately I had plenty of time still to have already re-watched Season 7 and have it fresh in my mind.

post #27 of 37 Old 09-15-2008, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I also wish Warner would take the time to actually put a simple menu on their blu-ray discs in addition to lossless audio. Is this asking too much?
post #28 of 37 Old 09-15-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Al and Miles are who I was referring to. They're supposedly the reason "Clark"
Spoiler  
hasn't flown yet....not saying that ability will actually better the show....
Anyways, I'll still watch, this probably being the last season and all.

Spoiler  
They've said all along that he'll never fly in the show. Unless they have since updated that, I expect to see him only fly in the Series Finally; whenever that is.

post #29 of 37 Old 09-20-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got my Torchwood Blu Season 1 set today. This is a BBC release, distributed by Warner here in the US.

It comes with DTS 5.1 sound... and has 13 episodes approx 45 minutes or so per... and 6 BD25s!

Two episodes per disc, except for one disc that contains 3...

Meanwhile, Smallville had Dolby 5.1 and was 7 episodes on BD50 (except for the rumored one disc that was actually only a BD25 that contained 6 episodes).

I'm expecting the quality of the Torchwood discs to be high by comparison and am looking forward to seeing.

post #30 of 37 Old 09-21-2008, 04:31 AM

Quote:

I'm expecting the quality of the Torchwood discs to be high by comparison and am looking forward to seeing.

It's like comparing apples to oranges....Torchwood was shot in a different style to Smallville.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page