The Descent - 2 different Blu-ray versions CONFIRMED (MPEG-2 vs AVC encoding) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 793 Old 04-18-2009, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post

what people have been saying is that the AVC version has a code/serial number on the top sticker/wrapper on the dvd and the MPEG-2 version is blank. This may not be entirely true since I grabbed a $10 copy at Wal-Mart that had the serial number but it turned out to be the MPEG-2 version. I watched it on my new Panasonic TH65PZ850U plasma and I thought it held up fine.

You can thank your TV for that I have the same TV in a 58" and can't believe I didn't go plasma sooner.

Get the AUS, if you like the movie it is well worth the hassle of importing and the cost can be justified by simply skipping that pizza delivery on sat night and cooking a frozen one for $3

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 793 Old 04-19-2009, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

You are better off getting the AUS version then. Better contrast, better black levels and it's AVC.

Yes, the AUS version is the "definitive" BD for the the movie. It's the counterpart to the original R2 SD master/transfer.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #543 of 793 Old 04-19-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
And the AUS version is only available online, or what?
post #544 of 793 Old 04-19-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

You can thank your TV for that I have the same TV in a 58" and can't believe I didn't go plasma sooner.

Get the AUS, if you like the movie it is well worth the hassle of importing and the cost can be justified by simply skipping that pizza delivery on sat night and cooking a frozen one for $3

I totally agree with you. I have been saving my pennies and doing my research and I am so glad I bought this panasonic plasma. I read nothing but good things from other people like yourself who love this picture their unit produce. It's nice to know that you can view what people call a "marginal" blu-ray or dvd and have it look this good. Besides, I saw this movie when it first came out and this blu-ray is pretty close to what I remember seeing in the theater.

post #545 of 793 Old 04-19-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

And the AUS version is only available online, or what?

There are reliable places to order online. Here's where I bought mine, as did some others: http://www.dvdcrave.com/products/product.jsp?pid=46969

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #546 of 793 Old 04-20-2009, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so using what others talked about in this thread I hit walmart and picked up a $10 gem. No quote on front, top A##### label, and got AVC.
post #547 of 793 Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Congrats! On the basis of what others have said, I think my copy has to be AVC, but since my player doesn't report such info (BDP-1000), I can only guess !
post #548 of 793 Old 06-03-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally watched the entire AUS release. I bought it because of the differences I saw in the screen shots. It's one thing seeing screens, and another thing actually watching it. Yes - I flipped through both discs and could make out the differences, but it hits more when you watch the full movie.

For someone who is an absolute fan of this movie, I really recommend paying the extra and importing it (assuming it works with your budget).

One question -- is there an alternate ending to this movie? After watching it, I threw in the US AVC release and couldn't find it in the extras. I then watched the ending (10x speed) and it seemed identical to the AUS version. Note that this is when the differences in color really stuck out.

I was just telling my wife how a sequel wouldn't be done for this movie... then I saw this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1073105/

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #549 of 793 Old 06-03-2009, 09:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I just ordered the Aussie disc. $21.64 shipped? No brainer.

post #550 of 793 Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

I finally watched the entire AUS release. I bought it because of the differences I saw in the screen shots. It's one thing seeing screens, and another thing actually watching it. Yes - I flipped through both discs and could make out the differences, but it hits more when you watch the full movie.

For someone who is an absolute fan of this movie, I really recommend paying the extra and importing it (assuming it works with your budget).

One question -- is there an alternate ending to this movie? After watching it, I threw in the US AVC release and couldn't find it in the extras. I then watched the ending (10x speed) and it seemed identical to the AUS version. Note that this is when the differences in color really stuck out.

I was just telling my wife how a sequel wouldn't be done for this movie... then I saw this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1073105/

Yup, this is one of those movies that should be left alone in it's single shot awesomeness. No doubt the sequel will be lame but worth a rental, still sequels to movies like this often tarnish the origial imo.

Anyways, yes the original US release ended different and essentially cut off about 2 min, you can see the difference on the AVC version if you opt to watch the rated version. I recently sold my avc copy, the AUS is just superior in every way, even the DTS-HD MA track seems more bombastic than the Uncompressed PCM on the avc.

My Rig

post #551 of 793 Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm stoked. I watched this twice, (PAL DVD) about 2 years ago. Should be a treat.

post #552 of 793 Old 06-04-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

I just ordered the Aussie disc. $21.64 shipped? No brainer.

Where did you order yours?
post #553 of 793 Old 06-04-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup, this is one of those movies that should be left alone in it's single shot awesomeness. No doubt the sequel will be lame but worth a rental, still sequels to movies like this often tarnish the origial imo.

Anyways, yes the original US release ended different and essentially cut off about 2 min, you can see the difference on the AVC version if you opt to watch the rated version. I recently sold my avc copy, the AUS is just superior in every way, even the DTS-HD MA track seems more bombastic than the Uncompressed PCM on the avc.

Are you saying the US AVC Unrated cut has the ending cut off compared to the AUS version?
post #554 of 793 Old 06-04-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

Are you saying the US AVC Unrated cut has the ending cut off compared to the AUS version?

No, both US releases by Lionsgate (AVC and MPEG2) give you the option at the begining to watch either the rated cut or the unrated cut. The theatrical release in the US is the rated cut which does not include
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
anything after Sarah escapes and sees Juno in the passenger seat next to her. Escentially it ruins the end in that viewers are left thinking she really escaped, which she did not in the uncut version

I can't remember if the AUS version offers the option to watch the rated version but I know it includes the correct ending and as far as I'm concerned that is the only way to view this movie.

My Rig

post #555 of 793 Old 06-04-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually thought the ending where is shows her back in the cave was kind of dumb. I think it was better to just end it where she escapes and gets back to the truck. Obviously the sequel picks up at this point so it is no secret she escapes.

To each their own. I'm partial to horror films with somewhat ominous endings and I felt that
Spoiler  
seeing Juno in the seat was pretty cheesy way to end it. It might have been cool to see her crawl just out of the hole and flop down in exhaustion then see a hand of one of the crawlers drag her back in or something.
I dono, but I did like the ending of the unrated cut better.

My Rig

post #556 of 793 Old 06-04-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Where did you order yours?

http://dvdcrave.com.au/ViewProduct.a...a-5304e05ecd17
post #557 of 793 Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Spoiler  
Quote:

I actually thought the ending where is shows her back in the cave was kind of dumb. I think it was better to just end it where she escapes and gets back to the truck. Obviously the sequel picks up at this point so it is no secret she escapes.

Tommy. Just to be "safe", I think you should put your post in spoiler tags. Even though there is a sequel, some people may not know how the first one ends.

Spoiler  
It's not a given that there is a survivor just because there is a sequel.
post #558 of 793 Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Spoiler  
Quote:

To each their own. I'm partial to horror films with somewhat ominous endings and I felt that seeing Juno in the seat was pretty cheesy way to end it. It might have been cool to see her crawl just out of the hole and flop down in exhaustion then see a hand of one of the crawlers drag her back in or something. I dono, but I did like the ending of the unrated cut better.

Again, I think that your comment above should be placed in spoiler tags.

I do agree with everything you say, and as I have mentioned before, the "American ending" ruined the film for me. I left the theater feeling that the film maker had no idea how to end the film. When I saw the "Australian ending", on DVD, I really liked it. It finally made sense.

Spoiler  
It would have been harder for them to make a sequel with the Australian ending since all the characters were dead, but they could have come up with something.

A quote regarding the ending:

Spoiler  

Full text here.

... ''It's a visceral ride, and by the time you get to the ending you're drained,'' says Lionsgate marketing chief Tim Palen. ''Marshall had a number of endings in mind when he shot the film, so he was open [to making a switch].'' The director's ultimate solution? Sub in one of his alternate shots, and cut the last minute or so of the movie. Of course, both scenarios are expected to make it to DVD, giving fans an opportunity  Ã* la 28 Days Later  to choose the heroine's fate for themselves. And if you decide to check out The Descent in theaters, remember: Even though the story has been perked up, that doesn't mean everything is sunshine and lollipops. In fact, Marshall likens the denouement to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: ''Just because she gets away, does that make it a happy ending?''

So the way I read the above is that, Lions Gate forced the director to change the ending. Kind of a cop-out on the director's part, but I probably would have done the same thing to get the US distribution with Lions Gate. On the other hand, I would have ended it as some other posters have suggested: When she finally makes it out of the cave, she collapses, and the movie ends.

IMO, I also think that the alternate ending to 28 Days was much better too.

post #559 of 793 Old 06-05-2009, 02:48 AM

Spoiler  

Quote:

Spoiler  

I thought that that ending where she's still in the cave on her own in the gloom was one of the best things about the film.

For me its still one of the best endings i've seen in a film.

Spoiler  

I've never seen the American ending (that cut doesn't exist in the uk) but it sounds to me like a typical Hollywood upbeat ending, having her escape in the end.

Plus, it comes across as a cynical exercise in leaving it open for a sequel to make more money for the studios. If i'd watched that cut, i think it would have left a bad taste in the mouth. As it is, I watched the longer cut and that ending left a lasting impression on me.
post #560 of 793 Old 06-05-2009, 05:09 AM

The contrast is unnaturally boosted on the AUS release IMO.
post #561 of 793 Old 06-05-2009, 05:24 AM

I have the darker front and the big white ring on the back, so I'm afraid this theory of identification is not failsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Another difference I didn't notice initially, the silk screen art on the AVC disc is much darker than on the MPEG-2 disc. Again probably nothing to do with the disc version as FoxyMulder's MPEG-2 disc pic looks more like my AVC disc than my MPEG-2.

And on the data side, the AVC disc has an added silver ring covering up most of the white backing. This isn't a BV vs EM difference as most of my Lionsgate EMs have it as well. Maybe it's totally random. FoxyMulder, your input is required!

post #562 of 793 Old 06-05-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDarren View Post

The contrast is unnaturally boosted on the AUS release IMO.

The AUS BD matches the original R2 SD-DVD release. No big deal is you prefer the US release but the R2 SD-DVD was considered a "reference" for the film, so it would follow that so would the AUS BD. IIRC, the R2 SD-DVD was available before the film was released in the US. I had seen the R2 disc and there was no such thing as the "american ending" yet.

larry

post #563 of 793 Old 06-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

The AUS BD matches the original R2 SD-DVD release. No big deal is you prefer the US release but the R2 SD-DVD was considered a "reference" for the film, so it would follow that so would the AUS BD.

The AUS BD at times has extreme (but nice looking) colors compared to the MPEG-2 version. Good to hear which one is reference!
post #564 of 793 Old 06-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Regarding the ending (general comment, no spoilers)...

There were enough flashbacks and dream sequences that the ending was (in my mind, at least) ambiguous no matter which version I watched. Even with the so-called "American ending", I wasn't at all sure that we were seeing what was really supposed to be happenning or if we were just seeing a dream sequence of what the main character was imagining. In fact, I will tell you that I always assumed it was a dream sequence.

For that reason, NEITHER ending wrapped up the movie completely to my way of thinking. And that was just fine.

BTW, I love this film and bought the BD last year at a local shop. Fortunately, I got the AVC version (long before I ever found this thread).
post #565 of 793 Old 06-05-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with Dex, I don't trully have a problem with either ending, they can both work depending on each individuals take on their experience while watching the entire flick...the unrated, original ending is very cool and leaves you thinking (I do like it better). But the US release gets bashed because of the cheese factor and I don't get that, IMO...

Spoiler  
when she looks over and see's Juno right beside her in the truck and screams in horror and it ends, that also can make you think...its says TO ME that Juno is not really there (obviously), its just her concious, the guilt from the results of what just transpired, they're suggesting that THAT is the way she is gonna have to live her life from here on. Not a pretty thought IMO, and in some ways, just as dreary an ending as the original because she is now basically back to the basket case she was when we found her at the start of the movie - full circle.

My Setup | Night

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: Brubaker, Big Bang Season 6, Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, Iron Man 3, Halloween 35th, This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity

post #566 of 793 Old 06-05-2009, 08:28 AM

Here's movie discussion thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=descent Many theories were put forth.

larry

post #567 of 793 Old 06-05-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils View Post

I agree with Dex, I don't trully have a problem with either ending, they can both work depending on each individuals take on their experience while watching the entire flick...the unrated, original ending is very cool and leaves you thinking (I do like it better). But the US release gets bashed because of the cheese factor and I don't get that, IMO...

Spoiler  
when she looks over and see's Juno right beside her in the truck and screams in horror and it ends, that also can make you think...its says TO ME that Juno is not really there (obviously), its just her concious, the guilt from the results of what just transpired, they're suggesting that THAT is the way she is gonna have to live her life from here on. Not a pretty thought IMO, and in some ways, just as dreary an ending as the original because she is now basically back to the basket case she was when we found her at the start of the movie - full circle.

That's an interesting interpretation you have there. Looks like I should check it out after all. I was always led to believe it was a total copout. Luckily I still have my US MPEG-2 release of The Descent as well as the AUS release that only has the unrated cut.
post #568 of 793 Old 06-05-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

To me:
Spoiler  

The rated cut makes no sense. Juno would have had to make it out before Sarah, then choose the same vehicle, but sit in the back seat. Then Sarah would have to get in the car without either noticing the other (which is possible), but after Sarah drives off and stops to puke, she would have to somehow get into the passenger seat.

I dont remember exactly, but it also appeared that Sarah fell prior to going unconcious, but when she "awakes" she's about 20-30 feet from the entrance/exit. If that were the case, she would have had to fallen upwards.

The dream sequence is the only one that makes sense (of the two endings). Of course, the entire thing being an hallucination may perhaps have worked as well, but I think it's best they left it as an interpretation.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Here's movie discussion thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=descent Many theories were put forth.
larry

Didnt see your post until after I wrote this... I'll check it out.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #569 of 793 Old 06-05-2009, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Wife picked up this title for me last night at Wal*Mart at the $10 price. Haven't seen this one in quite a while, and while I didn't think it was worth buying at the original release price, I'm glad to add it to my 10th Month viewing section at the $10 price!

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #570 of 793 Old 06-05-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone needs an AVC US version, I have spotted copies at different stores in the area. PM me if you would like one and I can pick some up.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page