The Descent - 2 different Blu-ray versions CONFIRMED (MPEG-2 vs AVC encoding) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 793 Old 11-26-2008, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got lucky at my local Circuit City. They only had two copies and both had the numbers on the top label. Picked one up for myself and the other for my friend. Give your local stores a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 793 Old 11-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

I got lucky at my local Circuit City. They only had two copies and both had the numbers on the top label. Picked one up for myself and the other for my friend. Give your local stores a shot.

Will do. CC and Best Buy do not have any copies in the store right now. I think Wal-Mart ships to the store so I may try them.
post #183 of 793 Old 12-02-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

I think amazon.ca carries the AVC version but msgohan needs to reconfirm the same.

AUS version will be released on Dec'2008.

hi to all, been following this thread from the sidelines for a few weeks.....and this is my 1st post

here is my descent story so far.....

ordered a copy from amazon.ca - watched and thought the transfer was lovely!! stumbled across this thread and to my amazement could not believe that there are two different versions in circulation......went back and checked my copy and it was mpeg2 so it looks like amazon.ca does not carry the avc version.

i love this film to bits so naturally i had to track down the avc version which i thought was nigh on impossible......but managed to get 2 copies

im in the uk, but my cousin works for wallmart in NY....he phoned various branches to see if any had any surplus discs lying around in the warehouses etc.....then he had to ask them to play the discs to see if they where indeed avc / mpeg.....to my amazement he got hold of 2......discs only.

haven't got round to comparing yet, but watched the avc version last night and again looked lovely, but noticed a lot of white specks in the dark scenes...not sure if this is evident on the mpeg version.....will do a comparison a bit later.

Just had a look at the aus release......damn they got the girls/skull cover...love that image....but the extras listed suggests there is no pip or choice of cuts....but i guess information is tentative at the moment.

before anyone asks the other copy is sold on the av forums here in the uk....but my cousin is on the search for more.
post #184 of 793 Old 12-02-2008, 07:35 PM

I just got my copy of the Descent from deepdiscountdvd. It is in the BV case with the embossed blu-ray disc logo on the front. It also has the thick white ring that was posted in some photos by msgohan, i believe.

I have a Samsung BD-P1500 and I can't seem to figure out how to determine which version my disc is. Does anybody know how to find out what version the disc is using a BD-P1500?
post #185 of 793 Old 12-02-2008, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
dannydj,

Can you shed more details about the AUS release ?

Blu-ray : 340
post #186 of 793 Old 12-02-2008, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeK View Post

I just got my copy of the Descent from deepdiscountdvd. It is in the BV case with the embossed blu-ray disc logo on the front. It also has the thick white ring that was posted in some photos by msgohan, i believe.

I have a Samsung BD-P1500 and I can't seem to figure out how to determine which version my disc is. Does anybody know how to find out what version the disc is using a BD-P1500?

Definitely check the sticker that was on top of the case. I got my copy from the local DeepDiscount store but I'm sure it came from the same warehouse as the site uses. If you had the catalog number on the sticker as shown earlier in the thread you're probably good.

My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVD Profiler
post #187 of 793 Old 12-03-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

dannydj,

Can you shed more details about the AUS release ?

thats the only info at the moment.......its released on the 10th so not long to wait.
post #188 of 793 Old 12-03-2008, 06:13 PM

Luckily I stuck the stickers to the box the disc came in, but unfortunately there was no catalog number on the top sticker, so I don't think mine is an AVC disc. Despite that I think the picture quality is excellent, maybe not as good as it could be, but still a great looking film on Pioneer 5080.
post #189 of 793 Old 12-10-2008, 04:30 PM

has anybody picked up the Aus release?

I have the MPEG 2 version, but don't want to puchase the AUS release just to find out it's no better...

just wondering if anybody else has yet...
post #190 of 793 Old 12-11-2008, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeK View Post

Luckily I stuck the stickers to the box the disc came in, but unfortunately there was no catalog number on the top sticker, so I don't think mine is an AVC disc. Despite that I think the picture quality is excellent, maybe not as good as it could be, but still a great looking film on Pioneer 5080.

I've seen the two side by side, and if you stare at the grain, you can see a difference, but if you look at the actual movie, it's nearly indistinguishable. Don't get me wrong, if you were in a store, and you could hand pick one, the AVC is the one to get, but there's nothing wrong with the MPEG-2 version.

Grain is becoming a sickness IMO. I was in the theater watching Quantum of Solace looking at the grain so that I would know what it should look like when the blu-ray is released.

Here are some of the things i noticed:
1) haloing in scenes with white walls and black suits
2) un-uniform grain throughout
3) barely any grain in dark scenes
4) raised contrast levels throughout
5) Lots of scratches

... I left the movie saying "what was this movie about?" So I'm going to stop worrying so much about this. The movie no-doubt look better on blu-ray than in the theater .

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #191 of 793 Old 12-11-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

I've seen the two side by side, and if you stare at the grain, you can see a difference, but if you look at the actual movie, it's nearly indistinguishable. Don't get me wrong, if you were in a store, and you could hand pick one, the AVC is the one to get, but there's nothing wrong with the MPEG-2 version.

Grain is becoming a sickness IMO. I was in the theater watching Quantum of Solace looking at the grain so that I would know what it should look like when the blu-ray is released.

5) Lots of scratches

... I left the movie saying "what was this movie about?" So I'm going to stop worrying so much about this. The movie no-doubt look better on blu-ray than in the theater .

I agree with this for the first 20 min or so of the movie but once they "descend" the remaining majority of the film (in the dark) I see a pretty obvious increase in detail.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #192 of 793 Old 12-11-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

5) Lots of scratches

There was probably plenty more not watching for grain who left the theater also wondering what the movie was about.

In my opinion it all depends on the cinema showing the film and i have often found many show atrocious quality prints and the projectionists never focus things properly unless you get lucky.....Not sure if the newest digital presentations suffer from that though.
post #193 of 793 Old 12-11-2008, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I agree with this for the first 20 min or so of the movie but once they "descend" the remaining majority of the film (in the dark) I see a pretty obvious increase in detail.

Agreed. Me, my buddy and his girl all could easily tell between the two, after popping one in after another. I'm not saying the MPEG2 is bad, but is definetly softer. Honestly, I was suprised how easily I could tell the difference, it didn't look that noticeable on the screen grabs. Of course, my computer is 20" and my TV is 50"...
post #194 of 793 Old 12-11-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

Agreed. Me, my buddy and his girl all could easily tell between the two, after popping one in after another. I'm not saying the MPEG2 is bad, but is definetly softer. Honestly, I was suprised how easily I could tell the difference, it didn't look that noticeable on the screen grabs. Of course, my computer is 20" and my TV is 50"...

I have both versions and went back and forth between the two as well, then I watched the AVC version from start to finish. Once they are in the cave the glow sticks and flares that light up the rock textures reveal the differences as does the blood and water reflecting light off of surfaces and facial shots. This is where I felt the softness of the MPEG2 version became pretty obvious.

Any AVC owners care to nominate this in the artistic grain thread?

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #195 of 793 Old 12-11-2008, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

In my opinion it all depends on the cinema showing the film and i have often found many show atrocious quality prints and the projectionists never focus things properly unless you get lucky.....Not sure if the newest digital presentations suffer from that though.

Agree. I wish theaters took better care of their equipment, film, etc. It's hard to find a really good theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I didnt watch the two back-to-back. I placed one in, looked at a few scenes then compared. Perhaps I missed specific places where it was easily distinguishable.

I'm just saying that the people who got the MPEG-2 and are happy with it the PQ shouldnt rush out and pay more to get the AVC unless this is a top 10 movie for them (or crazy collector).

I of course have the AVC

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #196 of 793 Old 12-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For what it's worth, when I used the main menu (before playing the movie) to set up the audio, I chose the PCM track and the movie played with 5.1 Dolby Digital anyway. I had to use the audio button on my remote to change the track while the movie played to get the 6.1 PCM. I knew the correct track was playing because I got rear surround sound.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #197 of 793 Old 12-16-2008, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Success. Thanks msgohan. I ordered this like 2 months ago from amazon I sent an email(last week) telling them that lionsgate mistakenly made two different discs(told them to tell the studio too).

So then I asked them for one "that should have a catalog number on the top sticker of the case". I got one with a catalog number on the sticker and it was in one of the sony cases with the lock, and that stupid glue.

Popped it in and it was AVC. Thanks OP. I think sony case + catalog number = AVC disc. The MPEG2 version I originally had was in an elite case.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #198 of 793 Old 12-16-2008, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Glad to hear that Shadow.

Sorry for being lazy. Please let me know the catalog number of the AVC version.

Blu-ray : 340
post #199 of 793 Old 12-18-2008, 12:33 PM

This whole situation is very bothersome. I was looking forward to buying The Descent BD during Deep Discount's sale a few weeks back, but then found out about the differently encoded discs and got discouraged. If anyone finds a (region-free/Region A) AVC copy that they wanna sell for a fair price, let me know.

What's this about a catalog sticker at the top? The AVC discs have a sticker on the front or top with a catalog number, while the MPEG-2 versions don't? Maybe I'll just visit some local stores, see what I can find. Arranging an exchange or refund with them would be easier than doing so online.

I emailed Lionsgate about this issue a month ago, and I doubt they care. Never got a reply. Although the only email address I could find on their site is general-inquiries@lionsgate.com. Perhaps everyone here should courteously bring up the issue and state how bogus it is that they secretly started releasing discs with an inferior codec.
post #200 of 793 Old 12-18-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriztoffer Swank View Post

This whole situation is very bothersome. I was looking forward to buying The Descent BD during Deep Discount's sale a few weeks back, but then found out about the differently encoded discs and got discouraged. If anyone finds a (region-free/Region A) AVC copy that they wanna sell for a fair price, let me know.

What's this about a catalog sticker at the top? The AVC discs have a sticker on the front or top with a catalog number, while the MPEG-2 versions don't? Maybe I'll just visit some local stores, see what I can find. Arranging an exchange or refund with them would be easier than doing so online.

I emailed Lionsgate about this issue a month ago, and I doubt they care. Never got a reply. Although the only email address I could find on their site is general-inquiries@lionsgate.com. Perhaps everyone here should courteously bring up the issue and state how bogus it is that they secretly started releasing discs with an inferior codec.

The sticker is on top of the case. See here. LINK
post #201 of 793 Old 12-18-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Stickers on the back of the case do not matter.

The difference has been the top of the case sticker and whether or not it has a number. Check back in the thread - there are pics.

Here's a picture of what you should look for:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=107

My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVD Profiler
post #202 of 793 Old 12-18-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post

Stickers on the back of the case do not matter.

The difference has been the top of the case sticker and whether or not it has a number. Check back in the thread - there are pics.

Here's a picture of what you should look for:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=107

Thanks for the clarification.
post #203 of 793 Old 12-19-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I do have an extra AVC copy, but I bought it for my buddy. He just hasn't claimed it in 2 weeks. If he ends up not wanting it, I will sell it for what I paid if anyone wants it. Unfortunely, I bought it from CC so it cost me $31! I'll ask my buddy one last time, but if someone wants an AVC copy for $35 shipped (in US 48), PM me. I haven't opened it yet, but it does have the numbers on the top sticker and I bought my own from there too and it had the numbers and was AVC.
post #204 of 793 Old 12-19-2008, 07:17 PM

I just bought the Australian version today, but only realised after bringing it home that the back cover only states "DTS HD 5.1" & "DD5.1" (No PCM!). It's probably MPEG 2, knowing how we get shafted down under....

The thing is, it's a BD-50 disc, so i'm wondering if there is infact a PCM track on it & it's just not mentioned on the back cover....

I'm wondering if I order the Original Unrated Cut from amazon, will I be getting the best picture quality version to go along with the PCM audio, which I know it will have???

EDIT:
I've now tested the disc & discovered some good news for Aussies!

To my surprise, the audio IS actually DTS-HDMA, & the video codec is AVC, so i'm relieved now...no need to import imo.

So the audio stated on the back of the Australian versions' cover (DTS HD) is incorrect. It is DTS-HDMA (5.1, according to my PS3), along with the Dolby Digital 5.1 track stated on the cover.

Hope this helps.
post #205 of 793 Old 12-22-2008, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Wonder how the PQ of the Australian release compares to the US release(s). What studio released it anyway?
post #206 of 793 Old 12-22-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Wonder how the PQ of the Australian release compares to the US release(s). What studio released it anyway?

Here's my mini-review of the Aus release;

The Descent (Australian Uncut release - Not the US cinema version ending)

PQ - Pretty decent. Blacks are impressive in the darkened areas within the cave & so are the more colourful outside sequences which are good for the most part, but some shots lacked sharpness I found. Grainy in parts, but as the original film was also grainy, it's not due to a poor transfer & doesn't take anything away from the film. 3.75/5

AQ - Very clear DTS-HDMA 5.1 track. Top use of surrounds engulfs the viewer so well, you're trapped in there with them. Sharp, detailed sound effects (screeches, helmets on rocks, tool clangs). Bass also gets used throughout to great effect. I was considering importing the US version of this film, thinking i'd missed out on its' PCM soundtrack, but this one's off the top shelf. No regrets buying it locally now. 4.5/5

I think, judging from the screens in this thread, the PQ appears on par with the US release. Keep in mind my panel (Panasonic TH-42PV60A) isn't FullHD (it's a 1024x768), & i'm viewing from about 3 metres away, so I may not be getting the best image possible.

ICON Studios released it down here.

Here's my home theatre setup for those interested;
Panasonic TH-42PV60A|Jamo E660 (Fronts)|Jamo E6CEN.5 (Centre)|Jamo E600 (Surrounds)|Jamo Sub-250 (Subbie)|Yamaha RX-V1900|Sony PS3|LG LST-5402P HDSTB/160GB PVR
post #207 of 793 Old 12-24-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

Popped it in and it was AVC. Thanks OP. I think sony case + catalog number = AVC disc. The MPEG2 version I originally had was in an elite case.

What is the difference between a Sony case and an elite case?

My copy is still sealed, as I haven't yet opened it. No numbers on the sticker on top, just "The Descent Widescreen" so I think I have the mpeg2 version. Is Lionsgate exchanging for the proper disc? I can't remember where I purchased this, but it was surely more than 30 days ago.
post #208 of 793 Old 12-24-2008, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralfi View Post

Here's my mini-review of the Aus release;

The Descent (Australian Uncut release - Not the US cinema version ending) ...

This is truly the only way to view this film. The US ending was horrible. I walked out of the theater with a bad taste in my mouth. It didn't make any sense to me .

When it was released on disk, I watched it at a friends house, as he missed it in the theater, and I was treated to the ending the way it was supposed to be.
post #209 of 793 Old 12-25-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentalbert View Post

What is the difference between a Sony case and an elite case?

My copy is still sealed, as I haven't yet opened it. No numbers on the sticker on top, just "The Descent Widescreen" so I think I have the mpeg2 version. Is Lionsgate exchanging for the proper disc? I can't remember where I purchased this, but it was surely more than 30 days ago.

The Sony/Buena Vista cases are thinner with harder edges and an embossed Blu-ray logo while the Elite cases are thicker with rounded edges and usually a flat logo that can be partially stripped off if they use stickers that cover it up. You'll see the Elite cases on all Warner Bros. titles, all Universal titles and all newer Fox and Paramount titles. Older Fox and Paramount titles will sometimes have the Sony/Buena Vista style cases.

The differences are more pronounced when you get to multi-disc sets.
post #210 of 793 Old 12-25-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

This is truly the only way to view this film. The US ending was horrible. I walked out of the theater with a bad taste in my mouth. It didn't make any sense to me .

I've never seen that ending, just heard about it....& glad about that fact to.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page