post #271 of 301 Old 09-19-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
thanks but this looks like a rental only for me...I hear the movie itself is nothing special...I want to rent it primarily for the reference DTS-HD audio which I hear is one of the best ever on the Blu-ray format (this and Transformers: Age of Extinction are said to be amazing in the audio department)
Second that .. from what I've read, the LFE should remove any residual dust from my 7.2 system ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 301 Old 09-19-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Second that .. from what I've read, the LFE should remove any residual dust from my 7.2 system ..
It seems that there isn't a lot of films with solid LFE tracks these days.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #273 of 301 Old 09-19-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
It seems that there isn't a lot of films with solid LFE tracks these days.

Ian

Especially not in the really, really low registers .. I read "Godzilla" purportedly has as low as a 20 Hz roar, which in many cases, including my hearing .. is felt and not heard ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #274 of 301 Old 09-19-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Especially not in the really, really low registers .. I read "Godzilla" purportedly has as low as a 20 Hz roar, which in many cases, including my hearing .. is felt and not heard ..
I'm waiting to see how it matches up on the new master list of bass in movies thread, which you can find at my old hunting grounds, the subwoofer forum.

Ian

post #275 of 301 Old 09-27-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
anybody know which movie studios have the 28 day delay for Redbox/Netflix etc...tried searching online but it's not clear...some articles state that in 2012 Warner Bros. changed the terms to a 56 day delay...but then others say that Redbox decided to buy the discs on their own through 3rd party sources so the delay is no longer in effect...but then I see titles like Godzilla with a 28 delay on Redbox so I'm confused...anyone know the current terms that Netflix, Redbox have in regards to new movie releases from individual studios?
post #276 of 301 Old 09-27-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
anybody know which movie studios have the 28 day delay for Redbox/Netflix etc...tried searching online but it's not clear...some articles state that in 2012 Warner Bros. changed the terms to a 56 day delay...but then others say that Redbox decided to buy the discs on their own through 3rd party sources so the delay is no longer in effect...but then I see titles like Godzilla with a 28 delay on Redbox so I'm confused...anyone know the current terms that Netflix, Redbox have in regards to new movie releases from individual studios?
Every one of Redbox’s major studio agreements is set to expire or come up for renewal in the next seven months. And Lionsgate’s five-year, $158 million distribution deal (first signed in mid-2009 and extended in mid-2011) already expired in August.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment’s agreement with Redbox runs through the end of September. First struck in mid-2009, the Sony agreement had Redbox paying the studio approximately $460 million for its discs over the life of the deal. Sony titles are available for rent the same day they’re available for sale at retail.

Universal Studios Home Entertainment agreed in early 2013 to continue supplying Redbox with discs — with a 28-day embargo on new release titles — through the end of 2014. Universal has an option to extend the agreement through the end of 2015.

Redbox’s agreement with 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment could run through late April 2015, at the studio’s discretion (Redbox estimated it will pay the studio nearly $395 million over the life of the agreement, which was first struck in mid-2010). New Fox titles have a 28-day delay for rental after street date.

Paramount Home Media Distribution’s deal (first struck in 2009) with Redbox runs through 2014, with Redbox estimating it would pay the studio $575 million over the life of the agreement. Paramount titles are available for rent the same day they’re available for sale.

Warner and Redbox came to terms in late 2012, with the studio agreeing to supply DVDs and Blu-rays to the kiosk operator through 2014, on the condition new release titles aren’t rented until 28 days after the retail release.

In mid-2012, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment imposed a 28-day delay on new disc releases for rental. Disney and Redbox currently do not have a content licensing agreement.

Uncle Willie

post #277 of 301 Old 09-27-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Every one of Redbox’s major studio agreements is set to expire or come up for renewal in the next seven months. And Lionsgate’s five-year, $158 million distribution deal (first signed in mid-2009 and extended in mid-2011) already expired in August.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment’s agreement with Redbox runs through the end of September. First struck in mid-2009, the Sony agreement had Redbox paying the studio approximately $460 million for its discs over the life of the deal. Sony titles are available for rent the same day they’re available for sale at retail.

Universal Studios Home Entertainment agreed in early 2013 to continue supplying Redbox with discs — with a 28-day embargo on new release titles — through the end of 2014. Universal has an option to extend the agreement through the end of 2015.

Redbox’s agreement with 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment could run through late April 2015, at the studio’s discretion (Redbox estimated it will pay the studio nearly $395 million over the life of the agreement, which was first struck in mid-2010). New Fox titles have a 28-day delay for rental after street date.

Paramount Home Media Distribution’s deal (first struck in 2009) with Redbox runs through 2014, with Redbox estimating it would pay the studio $575 million over the life of the agreement. Paramount titles are available for rent the same day they’re available for sale.

Warner and Redbox came to terms in late 2012, with the studio agreeing to supply DVDs and Blu-rays to the kiosk operator through 2014, on the condition new release titles aren’t rented until 28 days after the retail release.

In mid-2012, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment imposed a 28-day delay on new disc releases for rental. Disney and Redbox currently do not have a content licensing agreement.
Nice post. Do you have similar stats for Netflix? Also, in response to TitusTroy's comment about the 56 day Warner delay, the studio tried that, and although Netflix agreed to those terms, Red Box did not. Warner then decided to drop the idea, so it never materialized.

Ian
mgkdragn and TitusTroy like this.

post #278 of 301 Old 09-27-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Nice post. Do you have similar stats for Netflix? Also, in response to TitusTroy's comment about the 56 day Warner delay, the studio tried that, and although Netflix agreed to those terms, Red Box did not. Warner then decided to drop the idea, so it never materialized.

Ian
I pulled this info off of my brokers recommendation to dump any shares I owned and not consider buying any .. I am also a NF stock holder and I do have the analysis .. it is similar in that the long term outlook for physical media contractual issues could very well be fairly bleak .. due primarily to studio greed and in how they value the content ..

The success of NF / RB could, very well, in a way, be a bane to future growth due to studio imposed pricing .. I'll root out the NF analysis ..

I personally believe that is why NF appears to be concentrating more and more on the streaming side ..

Uncle Willie

post #279 of 301 Old 09-27-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
...the long term outlook for physical media contractual issues could very well be fairly bleak .. due primarily to studio greed and in how they value the content ..
It might be the data the studios are looking at. Overall US disc sales revenue and overall US disc rental revenue likely broken down by BD and DVD.

Even for streaming, Netflix would need to cut deals with studios, not just for physical discs.
post #280 of 301 Old 09-27-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
in response to TitusTroy's comment about the 56 day Warner delay, the studio tried that, and although Netflix agreed to those terms, Red Box did not. Warner then decided to drop the idea, so it never materialized

it's a good thing that never materialized...a 2 month delay is not reasonable...I can understand movie studios wanting to delay rentals for as long as possible but most people who are interested in a particular movie will either buy the DVD/Blu-ray as soon as it's released or wait for a sale...so beyond the 1 month window you are not gaining anything in sales vs rentals
post #281 of 301 Old 10-18-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't like the new website layout...is it not possible to browse individual locations to find out what's in stock anymore?...with the old layout it was easy to browse each store but now they give you the same listings for every location regardless if a title is in stock or not
post #282 of 301 Old 10-22-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
it's a good thing that never materialized...a 2 month delay is not reasonable...I can understand movie studios wanting to delay rentals for as long as possible but most people who are interested in a particular movie will either buy the DVD/Blu-ray as soon as it's released or wait for a sale...so beyond the 1 month window you are not gaining anything in sales vs rentals
...and that's why the studios don't get it.

Even 30 days is too long. More than two weeks and people have moved on to the next release. Further, the studios shouldn't be fighting the rental outlets. Instead, they should be using them as promotional mechanisms.

What they should be doing is giving people a $2 discount on new releases if they've already rented them. Set up a coordination with rental outlets to get a $2 off coupon with the rental of any new release that can be used toward the purchase of that title.

That way, people can essentially test drive a movie for free before buying it. I'll bet far more people would buy far more movies just because they're getting even that small discount. Make sure the coupons expire within a couple weeks just so people have to act on them quickly with less time to think about it.
mailiang and mike_carton like this.
post #283 of 301 Old 10-22-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The beef the Studios have with NF/RB really has always boiled down to what the Studios believe is the "devaluation" of the content thru cheap rentals .. you'll notice that B&M's, VUDU, http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/ / on demand, Amazon etc, don't have any issues with same day release .. because they pay what the Studios want .. as opposed to NF / RB that demand a deal on bulk packed disks, no retail box .. the Studios agree to negotiate price since a sale is a sale and NF / RB buy a lot of disks .. if NF / RB would agree to pay what the Studios really want money wise, the delay window would disappear and prices would shoot up ..

When the day comes that VUDU and the rest of the a la carte streamers get the price to rent down to $1.00 - $1.75, and I think they will at some point, NF / RB will face a world of hurt .. although NF is somewhat insulated with it's streaming side and appears to be working a slow phase out / reduction in physical disk ..

Physical disk rental and purchase will, at some point, disappear or devolve into a niche market .. with each new generation of young folks, this will simply accelerate ..

Uncle Willie

post #284 of 301 Old 11-24-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Dec-2nd Redbox price increases;DVD's $1.50, BR $2.0

Via their facebook feed - https://www.facebook.com/redbox
http://www.redbox.com/pricechange?ci...nge:11:24:2014
Quote:
OUR PRICES ARE INCREASING A LITTLE.

Starting December 2, the price for DVDs will increase 30¢ to $1.50 a day, and the price for Blu-ray™ Discs will increase 50¢ to $2 a day. Starting January 6, the price for video games will increase $1 to $3 a day.*
post #285 of 301 Old 11-24-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I got the email today.
Still cheaper than what Blockbuster & Hollywood Video use to charge.
Rent blu-ray or get Starbucks coffee... we live in hard times...

post #286 of 301 Old 11-24-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I miss the old Mom & Pop video stores, never dealt much with the "giants" aside of a great coupon special, & I would really detest putting a credit card into a vending machine.
post #287 of 301 Old 11-24-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

got an e-mail today announcing price increases...

"We want to let you know that starting next Tuesday, December 2, the price for DVDs will increase to $1.50 a day, and the price for Blu-ray Discs will increase to $2 a day. Starting Tuesday, January 6, the price for video games will increase to $3 a day

This is only our second price increase in 12 years, and the first for Blu-ray Discs and games, so you can be sure that we made this decision very carefully. We know that hearing about a price increase isn't the best news, but we feel it's necessary in order to improve your Redbox experience, while continuing to deliver the best value for new movies and games"
post #288 of 301 Old 11-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
got an e-mail today announcing price increases...

"We want to let you know that starting next Tuesday, December 2, the price for DVDs will increase to $1.50 a day, and the price for Blu-ray Discs will increase to $2 a day. Starting Tuesday, January 6, the price for video games will increase to $3 a day

This is only our second price increase in 12 years, and the first for Blu-ray Discs and games, so you can be sure that we made this decision very carefully. We know that hearing about a price increase isn't the best news, but we feel it's necessary in order to improve your Redbox experience, while continuing to deliver the best value for new movies and games"
I received the same message.
Sorry to Redbox . . but I consider a full 1/3 price increase for rental of blu-rays to be a bit over the top.
I told them that this would surely slow down my Redbox blu-ray rental addiction big-time.
There are plenty of more cost effective options available that provide an acceptable viewing experience and do not entail running out of the house to get and return a disc . . .

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #289 of 301 Old 11-25-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Sorry to Redbox . . but I consider a full 1/3 price increase for rental of blu-rays to be a bit over the top.
I told them that this would surely slow down my Redbox blu-ray rental addiction big-time.
There are plenty of more cost effective options available that provide an acceptable viewing experience and do not entail running out of the house to get and return a disc . . .
a 33% price increase is large in terms of percentage but a blu ray for $2 still blows away all other alternatives - especially if you only plan on watching the movie once or twice. add to that you get the best video and audio from blu ray.
post #290 of 301 Old 11-25-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

as long as they still send out free rental e-mails and other offers I'm fine with it...even with the old $1.50 Blu-ray rental price I mainly used tons of 'free rental' codes where the total after tax ended up being $.33
post #291 of 301 Old 11-25-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't understand why anyone would blame Redbox .. see my posts numbers 276 and 283 .. they don't get disks free .. the only other cost comparative rental model that I know of is Netflix .. and a one out BD plan is what .. ?? $10.00 a month ... with perfect return timing, I suppose you could beat $2.00 a disk from RB ..

Quote:
as long as they still send out free rental e-mails and other offers I'm fine with it...even with the old $1.50 Blu-ray rental price I mainly used tons of 'free rental' codes where the total after tax ended up being $.33
Yep .. I have not paid full price on any BD for at least a year .. and yes, some are audio downgraded but that also relates to my previous posts ..
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #292 of 301 Old 11-25-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post
a 33% price increase is large in terms of percentage but a blu ray for $2 still blows away all other alternatives - especially if you only plan on watching the movie once or twice. add to that you get the best video and audio from blu ray.
Netflix is still a better alternative for me. Redbox is $2.14 now, including NJ sales tax. With the a 2 out at a time BD plan, each disc nets me a cost of $1.87. They're mailed to my door and I can keep them as long as I want. I can return them to my box, or for faster returns, the local post office drive up, which is less then a mile away. If I get them back by Monday or Tuesday, I usually get the titles I want.

Ian
mgkdragn likes this.

post #293 of 301 Old 11-25-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Netflix is still a better alternative for me. Redbox is $2.14 now, including NJ sales tax. With the a 2 out at a time BD plan, each disc nets me a cost of $1.87. They're mailed to my door and I can keep them as long as I want. I can return them to my box, or for faster returns, the local post office drive up, which is less then a mile away. If I get them back by Monday or Tuesday, I usually get the titles I want.

Ian
Yes .. I use RB primarily as more of an impulse rental than anything else .. like today, with "The Giver" .. I had a coupon code, the BD was in the Box and I had not added it to my NF Q since it really did not look that appealing to me .. then, I decided, well, it does have The Dude .. or, if I neglect my Q on NF and something goes to long wait .. NF deep catalog, series availability, etc ..

Uncle Willie

post #294 of 301 Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Redbox does it again

Guardians of the Galaxy is the "big" movie for today, largest pic on the site. Click on the pic and I can't find it anywhere in my area. How to Train Your Dragon 2 is only on DVD, seriously. Thanks Redbox.
post #295 of 301 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5298 View Post
Guardians of the Galaxy is the "big" movie for today, largest pic on the site. Click on the pic and I can't find it anywhere in my area. How to Train Your Dragon 2 is only on DVD, seriously. Thanks Redbox.
I did a search in my area just to check and pretty well turned up the same .. don't know if they just did not buy enough copies or hoards of folks rented it early ..

Uncle Willie

post #296 of 301 Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I did a search in my area just to check and pretty well turned up the same .. don't know if they just did not buy enough copies or hoards of folks rented it early ..
What about How to Train Your Dragon 2. Are they not going to get it on Blu-ray?
post #297 of 301 Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What about How to Train Your Dragon 2. Are they not going to get it on Blu-ray?
I could swear that pre-release showed BD & DVD but now that it's live, I can't turn up a Blu anywhere in the USA ..

Uncle Willie

post #298 of 301 Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I could swear that pre-release showed BD & DVD but now that it's live, I can't turn up a Blu anywhere in the USA ..
That's disappointing. I guess I'll have to try Netflix.
post #299 of 301 Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's disappointing. I guess I'll have to try Netflix.
Both Guardians and Dragon 2 BD's were shipped to me this week.

Ian

post #300 of 301 Old Today, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

once again a new Marvel release (Guardians of the Galaxy) that is not widely available...same thing happened with Captain America: Winter Soldier and other Marvel titles...always seems to take a few days to get it stock
Reply Blu-ray Software