Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #331 of 336 Old 01-16-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 740
The Studios / Content providers want to sell disks, whether they be DVD or BD .. they are happy to sell RB disks and in fact, want to .. if the only demand was for BD, then DVD would go away, it's just that simple .. we, the folks that want, appreciate and enjoy BD are in the minority ..

RB has a finite number of slots to fill in a kiosk .. DVD's, BD's and Games .. they are going to gravitate toward the format that rents the most .. I don't agree either and I want BD as much as anyone .. However, I understand if they cut back or even eliminate BD totally .. if that's what the numbers are telling them, then that's just the way it is .. I know it's sad, but all for profit businesses must go with what makes the most money ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 336 Old 01-16-2015, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
The Studios / Content providers want to sell disks, whether they be DVD or BD .. they are happy to sell RB disks and in fact, want to .. if the only demand was for BD, then DVD would go away, it's just that simple .. we, the folks that want, appreciate and enjoy BD are in the minority ..

RB has a finite number of slots to fill in a kiosk .. DVD's, BD's and Games .. they are going to gravitate toward the format that rents the most .. I don't agree either and I want BD as much as anyone .. However, I understand if they cut back or even eliminate BD totally .. if that's what the numbers are telling them, then that's just the way it is .. I know it's sad, but all for profit businesses must go with what makes the most money ..
I don't question the market realities. If Redbox's bean-counters tell them it's more profitable to stick w/DVD then I'm certainly in no position to argue with that. It's just a bummer for customers like us who actually care to have the best quality.

I'm less annoyed with Redbox than I am just mystified at the market. When you can find bluray players these days for $50 that not only play all your old DVDs but give you Netfix and other streaming apps also, I honestly can't figure out why anyone is still renting DVDs. How many years has it been now since you could even buy a new non-HD TV? So there's Joe Average out there with his 1080p TV. If he watches disks at all and has bought a player in the last 3-4 years there hasn't really been a huge price difference between bluray and DVD players. But either he settled for the DVD player anyway, or even if he bought the bluray player (perhaps as much for Netflix, because the streaming apps on players have been standard for a long time now too) he's still renting DVDs to play it anyway? Why? Because Redbox charges 50 cents less for them?

The market pull to HD TVs first and then to bluray players should have made it pretty much inconceivable by now that a majority would still prefer to rent movies on DVD. Yet somehow we're still nowhere even close to that, and if anything it seems like we might be moving even further away from that tipping point.

I don't blame Redbox. I just don't get it.
mgkdragn likes this.
post #333 of 336 Old 01-16-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
I don't question the market realities. If Redbox's bean-counters tell them it's more profitable to stick w/DVD then I'm certainly in no position to argue with that. It's just a bummer for customers like us who actually care to have the best quality.

I'm less annoyed with Redbox than I am just mystified at the market. When you can find bluray players these days for $50 that not only play all your old DVDs but give you Netfix and other streaming apps also, I honestly can't figure out why anyone is still renting DVDs. How many years has it been now since you could even buy a new non-HD TV? So there's Joe Average out there with his 1080p TV. If he watches disks at all and has bought a player in the last 3-4 years there hasn't really been a huge price difference between bluray and DVD players. But either he settled for the DVD player anyway, or even if he bought the bluray player (perhaps as much for Netflix, because the streaming apps on players have been standard for a long time now too) he's still renting DVDs to play it anyway? Why? Because Redbox charges 50 cents less for them?

The market pull to HD TVs first and then to bluray players should have made it pretty much inconceivable by now that a majority would still prefer to rent movies on DVD. Yet somehow we're still nowhere even close to that, and if anything it seems like we might be moving even further away from that tipping point.

I don't blame Redbox. I just don't get it.
Trust me, I'm with you 100% .. but the sad reality is, the reason IOW, DVD is good enough for most .. they don't really see or care for what improved quality may provide .. that 42' - 50" and a soundbar is satisfactory ..

And, the Industry has pushed and pushed on BD to no real avail .. the saddest part of all is we'll continue to drift toward a streaming model as time passes .. the end user preference level will always dictate ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #334 of 336 Old 01-16-2015, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post
Im very lucky to have two Mom and Pop rental for bluray. Got Gone girl two weeks ago and was able to pick up Fury the other night. I am done with Redbox the titles.
Anyone know of a video rental store in Orlando? Even the not-so-great Blockbuster and Hollywood stores used to have classics and cult hits and weird, strange stuff that it was a pleasure to discover. Of course, the mom & pop stores really had character and reflected personal tastes of the owners.

I'm not one to instinctively oppose change, but in this case, the death of B&M video stores is a tangible loss.
post #335 of 336 Old 01-17-2015, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
Good lord. Interstellar is now posted in the Coming Soon section as DVD only also. Of course. Because who would want to watch that on bluray?

This is sad. I used to be able to count on about 90% of the new releases I wanted from Redbox being available on bluray. Now practically overnight it seems to be down to about 20% and shrinking. At this rate I have to wonder if they'll be releasing anything at all on bluray by the end of the year.
Just noticed when you hover your mouse over the pic of the movies in the "More upcoming releases:" every one only says DVD, so my guess is when they have the actual release date those certain movies will be available on Blu-ray as well, hopefully.
post #336 of 336 Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Well this is a little encouraging at least. Revisiting the Coming Soon page this morning I now see 3 more upcoming bluray titles: Predestination on 2/10 and The Boxtrolls and St. Vincent both under "more upcoming".

Predestination looks like it was just added but both St. Vincent and The Boxtrolls has been showing previously as DVD only. So maybe it really is the case that as we get close to the actual release date Redbox will make some of these other titles available on bluray too. Fingers crossed.
Reply Blu-ray Software