Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
post #331 of 352 Old 01-16-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 782
The Studios / Content providers want to sell disks, whether they be DVD or BD .. they are happy to sell RB disks and in fact, want to .. if the only demand was for BD, then DVD would go away, it's just that simple .. we, the folks that want, appreciate and enjoy BD are in the minority ..

RB has a finite number of slots to fill in a kiosk .. DVD's, BD's and Games .. they are going to gravitate toward the format that rents the most .. I don't agree either and I want BD as much as anyone .. However, I understand if they cut back or even eliminate BD totally .. if that's what the numbers are telling them, then that's just the way it is .. I know it's sad, but all for profit businesses must go with what makes the most money ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 352 Old 01-16-2015, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
The Studios / Content providers want to sell disks, whether they be DVD or BD .. they are happy to sell RB disks and in fact, want to .. if the only demand was for BD, then DVD would go away, it's just that simple .. we, the folks that want, appreciate and enjoy BD are in the minority ..

RB has a finite number of slots to fill in a kiosk .. DVD's, BD's and Games .. they are going to gravitate toward the format that rents the most .. I don't agree either and I want BD as much as anyone .. However, I understand if they cut back or even eliminate BD totally .. if that's what the numbers are telling them, then that's just the way it is .. I know it's sad, but all for profit businesses must go with what makes the most money ..
I don't question the market realities. If Redbox's bean-counters tell them it's more profitable to stick w/DVD then I'm certainly in no position to argue with that. It's just a bummer for customers like us who actually care to have the best quality.

I'm less annoyed with Redbox than I am just mystified at the market. When you can find bluray players these days for $50 that not only play all your old DVDs but give you Netfix and other streaming apps also, I honestly can't figure out why anyone is still renting DVDs. How many years has it been now since you could even buy a new non-HD TV? So there's Joe Average out there with his 1080p TV. If he watches disks at all and has bought a player in the last 3-4 years there hasn't really been a huge price difference between bluray and DVD players. But either he settled for the DVD player anyway, or even if he bought the bluray player (perhaps as much for Netflix, because the streaming apps on players have been standard for a long time now too) he's still renting DVDs to play it anyway? Why? Because Redbox charges 50 cents less for them?

The market pull to HD TVs first and then to bluray players should have made it pretty much inconceivable by now that a majority would still prefer to rent movies on DVD. Yet somehow we're still nowhere even close to that, and if anything it seems like we might be moving even further away from that tipping point.

I don't blame Redbox. I just don't get it.
mgkdragn likes this.
post #333 of 352 Old 01-16-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
I don't question the market realities. If Redbox's bean-counters tell them it's more profitable to stick w/DVD then I'm certainly in no position to argue with that. It's just a bummer for customers like us who actually care to have the best quality.

I'm less annoyed with Redbox than I am just mystified at the market. When you can find bluray players these days for $50 that not only play all your old DVDs but give you Netfix and other streaming apps also, I honestly can't figure out why anyone is still renting DVDs. How many years has it been now since you could even buy a new non-HD TV? So there's Joe Average out there with his 1080p TV. If he watches disks at all and has bought a player in the last 3-4 years there hasn't really been a huge price difference between bluray and DVD players. But either he settled for the DVD player anyway, or even if he bought the bluray player (perhaps as much for Netflix, because the streaming apps on players have been standard for a long time now too) he's still renting DVDs to play it anyway? Why? Because Redbox charges 50 cents less for them?

The market pull to HD TVs first and then to bluray players should have made it pretty much inconceivable by now that a majority would still prefer to rent movies on DVD. Yet somehow we're still nowhere even close to that, and if anything it seems like we might be moving even further away from that tipping point.

I don't blame Redbox. I just don't get it.
Trust me, I'm with you 100% .. but the sad reality is, the reason IOW, DVD is good enough for most .. they don't really see or care for what improved quality may provide .. that 42' - 50" and a soundbar is satisfactory ..

And, the Industry has pushed and pushed on BD to no real avail .. the saddest part of all is we'll continue to drift toward a streaming model as time passes .. the end user preference level will always dictate ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #334 of 352 Old 01-16-2015, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post
Im very lucky to have two Mom and Pop rental for bluray. Got Gone girl two weeks ago and was able to pick up Fury the other night. I am done with Redbox the titles.
Anyone know of a video rental store in Orlando? Even the not-so-great Blockbuster and Hollywood stores used to have classics and cult hits and weird, strange stuff that it was a pleasure to discover. Of course, the mom & pop stores really had character and reflected personal tastes of the owners.

I'm not one to instinctively oppose change, but in this case, the death of B&M video stores is a tangible loss.
post #335 of 352 Old 01-17-2015, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
Good lord. Interstellar is now posted in the Coming Soon section as DVD only also. Of course. Because who would want to watch that on bluray?

This is sad. I used to be able to count on about 90% of the new releases I wanted from Redbox being available on bluray. Now practically overnight it seems to be down to about 20% and shrinking. At this rate I have to wonder if they'll be releasing anything at all on bluray by the end of the year.
Just noticed when you hover your mouse over the pic of the movies in the "More upcoming releases:" every one only says DVD, so my guess is when they have the actual release date those certain movies will be available on Blu-ray as well, hopefully.
post #336 of 352 Old 01-19-2015, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Well this is a little encouraging at least. Revisiting the Coming Soon page this morning I now see 3 more upcoming bluray titles: Predestination on 2/10 and The Boxtrolls and St. Vincent both under "more upcoming".

Predestination looks like it was just added but both St. Vincent and The Boxtrolls has been showing previously as DVD only. So maybe it really is the case that as we get close to the actual release date Redbox will make some of these other titles available on bluray too. Fingers crossed.
post #337 of 352 Old 02-02-2015, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, just checked the coming soon section again today and suddenly most of the coming titles that were showing DVD availability only before are now showing bluray availability as well. Maybe it was always like this and I just didn't notice? I don't know. In any case, in addition to the titles mentioned in my previous post the following are now showing that they will be available through Redbox on bluray as well: Interstellar, Big Hero 6, Foxcatcher, The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, Nightcrawler, and Hunger Games: Mockingjay (+ A Most Violent Year and Exodus: Gods and Kings). For now Birdman and Whiplash are still showing as DVD only but if these other movies are any guide hopefully as we get close to the actual release date they will show with bluray availability as well.

Apologies for creating concern where there didn't need to be. The good news though is that apparently Redbox still considers the bluray format to be alive and well.
post #338 of 352 Old 02-04-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 95
John Wick Blu-ray rental only had Dolby Digital 5.1 audio...I keep forgetting that all Lionsgate releases come with gimped audio
post #339 of 352 Old 02-04-2015, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
John Wick Blu-ray rental only had Dolby Digital 5.1 audio...I keep forgetting that all Lionsgate releases come with gimped audio
Not all Lionsgate BD rental releases are lossy, only the ones that they consider are blockbusters.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #340 of 352 Old 02-05-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Red Box is leaving Canada

I'm really upset about this. I have no reasonable way to rent Blu Rays and no reasonable way to stream on my setup. I can't buy every movie I want to see.

I'll miss red box for sure. Farewell friend
post #341 of 352 Old 02-05-2015, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Red Box is leaving Canada

I'm really upset about this. I have no reasonable way to rent Blu Rays and no reasonable way to stream on my setup. I can't buy every movie I want to see.

I'll miss red box for sure. Farewell friend

They don't deliver Netflix in your area and you don't have access to an ISP?

Ian

post #342 of 352 Old 02-05-2015, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Netflix doesn't provide blu Ray rentals here.

I have Internet service. My HT isn't setup to stream. It only plays discs. That's it. So I either have to find a new rental source here, or go with streams. I'd prefer to stick to disc.
post #343 of 352 Old 02-06-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Netflix doesn't provide blu Ray rentals here.

I have Internet service. My HT isn't setup to stream. It only plays discs. That's it. So I either have to find a new rental source here, or go with streams. I'd prefer to stick to disc.
If you like movies like I do I would suggest getting a streaming device like a Roku and a subscription to Netflix instant. Check out this site to view their TV and film titles. Instantwatcher.com They also offer excellent original content. You will also have access to sites like Vudu, Cinema Now, M Go and freebees like Crackle. Picture and sound quality isn't as good as BD, but it's still very good. I have Directv and it can't match the quality I get from sites like Vudu and Netflix.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 02-06-2015 at 08:45 AM.
post #344 of 352 Old 02-06-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Americans will see more Redboxs since that's where the Canadian kiosks are heading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
If you like movies like I do I would suggest getting a streaming device like a Roku and a subscription to Netflix instant. Check out this site to view their TV and film titles. Instantwatcher.com They also offer excellent original content. You will also have access to sites like Vudu, Cinema Now, M Go and freebees like Crackle. Picture and sound quality isn't as good as BD, but it's still very good. I have Directv and it can't match the quality I get from sites like Vudu and Netflix.
Netflix Canada is not the same as the US, it has les content and the services you write may not be available in Canada at all.
post #345 of 352 Old 02-06-2015, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
Americans will see more Redboxs since that's where the Canadian kiosks are heading.

Netflix Canada is not the same as the US, it has les content and the services you write may not be available in Canada at all.

Well, in that case he's..bleep..out of luck.

Ian

post #346 of 352 Old 02-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I was at a Red Box this last weekend and noticed a buy option for Blurays that I hadn't seen before. I bought Guardians of the Galaxy and Maleficent, full 2D versions, for $7 each. Not a bad price if you are not into a lot of extras or don't need the DVD.

Last edited by bguzman; 02-17-2015 at 07:32 PM.
post #347 of 352 Unread Yesterday, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I was at a Red Box this last weekend and noticed a buy option for Blurays that I hadn't seen before. I bought Guardians of the Galaxy and Maleficent, full 2D versions, for $7 each. Not a bad price if you are not into a lot of extras or don't need the DVD.
I haven't seen that being offered yet. Wonder why....could it be that they're dumping Bluray, or just killing off overstock?

That said, I'll pass on any Lionsgate because they dumb down the audio, at least with Atmos releases.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #348 of 352 Unread Yesterday, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I haven't seen that being offered yet. Wonder why....could it be that they're dumping Bluray, or just killing off overstock?

That said, thatI'll pass on any Lionsgate because they dumb down the audio, at least with Atmos releases.
I'd pass on any that have crippled audio as we'll but these Disney titles are full versions with 7.1 DTS MA.

post #349 of 352 Unread Today, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
IIRC they have been selling some titles for a while.

Can I buy movies and games through Redbox?
post #350 of 352 Unread Today, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Trust me, I'm with you 100% .. but the sad reality is, the reason IOW, DVD is good enough for most .. they don't really see or care for what improved quality may provide .. that 42' - 50" and a soundbar is satisfactory ..

And, the Industry has pushed and pushed on BD to no real avail .. the saddest part of all is we'll continue to drift toward a streaming model as time passes .. the end user preference level will always dictate ..
Good point! This issue makes me question Atmos-and the other new audio formats-when most can't even do simple DD correctly. My friend who is far behind times, just broke down and went for an HD TV. He loves it, but-will not go in for BD player! DVD is 'good enough" in his mind, and so is his PC speaker-sub -plugged into the TV's phones port. Seriously? As a property manager I see it all the time inferior 5.1 set ups, and / or all 5 speakers piled up around the TV.
I'm one to want max from a BD and I want loss less audio with my HD, and I will avoid streaming-RB is my only method of obtain ing a decent rental anymore!
post #351 of 352 Unread Today, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic
So would I, and I'm really bummed that Redbox - and Zip and Blockbuster and Rogers - isn't available to me anymore. I'll be downloading from iTunes, which is OK despite offering lossy audio for more money (~$6/movie vs. ~$2/movie at Redbox and Zip).
post #352 of 352 Unread Today, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87
Im very lucky to have two Mom and Pop rental for bluray.
Yes, yes you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page