post #91 of 239 Old 02-19-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixguru View Post

I use Redbox plus the library. Who need's Netflix?

The millions of us that does not live in metro areas (and in my case, retired). At my old address there were several independent and chain rental outlets that I did business with from 1984 to about 2006. Stopped when I singed up with Netflix by mail. That was done for convenience and to save a fair amount of money. At my new address it is several miles to the closest independent rental outlet and more than 10 miles to the closest Redbox so I will use Netflix and/or Blockbuster by mail as long as I can.

I certainly see the attraction of Redbox for many people. Hats off to them and Mitch Lowe for making automated video rental such a success. Wish I had thought of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 239 Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixguru View Post

I use Redbox plus the library. Who need's Netflix? Good thing they added new content.

Redbox gets every new release. I pick it up release week without issue. There's literally 15 (!) different kiosks on the way home from work. There's ample supply of Blu-rays if I want it. (A comedy often I pick up DVD.) Also, nearly weekly deals means I pay about 60-70% regular price on average. They are sucking all the money out of the rental movie business... it's over. Their profits and market share going up is the end of margins and local selection.

No one wants to see old movies at my library. Just like the DVDs, the majority of the Criterion Blu-rays languish on the shelf. People want new movies, tv, horror, comedy, and catalog favorites. Anything R-rated, black & white, or older than 1980 (really) sits and literally collects dust on Blu-ray. All the old folks who remember the movies don't own Blu-ray, and all the young people want either kids flicks to babysit their little rugrats or modern laughs or scares or thrills. I wonder everytime I'm there why I own so many movies. There is an embarrassment of riches on the row of shelves at all three of my closest branches.

I don't know how it is in your area, but I also have several RB locations where I live, and there are just not enough titles in BD. I have no issues with Netflix. I get over 90% of the BD discs in my Que conveniently by mail, every week and most of them are new releases. I reserve the indies and older titles for streaming.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #93 of 239 Old 02-27-2013, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Renting my first Redbox title this evening; idk why it has taken me so long to warm up to it. I’ve been renting and buying from Vudu and have a Netflix account. Redbox is dirt cheap relative to Vudu. I’ve got a few kiosks in the 2 mile drive from work to home. I might do this more often when the urge hits.

I’m sorta on a Blu-ray kick right now; have a new television set and player. I probably played a handful of discs through my old Blu-ray player on my 40” lcd. The new set shines with Blu-ray though.
post #94 of 239 Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Redbox has been a clear winner for this consumer. Sure, I wish more titles were stocked in blu-ray format in the machines. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying the ones that are available. How can you go wrong for $1.50 - or even less when they send you email coupon codes? My only gripe is actually with the movie studios insistence on providing lower quality rental versions of titles - no lossless audio at times and no extras very frequently. Do they really think I am going to run out and buy a title that I've already seen just to watch 10 or 20 minutes of extras or hear the audio in lossless format? Not going to happen.
Keep up the good work Redbox!

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #95 of 239 Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I do not use Redbox but they have become a force to be reckoned with:

Redbox President: We Are ‘A Respected Part of the Industry’
Quote:
“We’ve moved into a position where with many of these studios we’re their No. 4 or No. 3 largest customer in home video,” Saunders said. “We have signed deals with studios where previously they didn’t believe it was in their best interest for them to do business with us. By and large, our relationships with the studios are positive and productive.”

Redbox is coming off an impressive year, leading parent company Coinstar to $2.2 billion in revenue. By 2017, Coinstar wants to double its revenue to $4 billion, with Redbox accounting for more than half of that. For 2013 Coinstar is looking at revenue of between $2.37 billion to $2.55 billion.

Redbox has a larger nationwide footprint than McDonald’s and Starbucks combined, with nearly 70% of Americans within five minutes of a Redbox kiosk, the company reports. Redbox garners more customer loyalty than Netflix (76%), eBay (73%) or Apple (62%), according to a BrandIndex report.

As of February Redbox has passed the 2.5 billion disc-rental mark, with 42 million unique customers averaging six rentals per customer in 2012.

Redbox is trying new things with its studio partners, including sellthrough coupons, more Blu-ray Discs and the first 3D Blu-ray rental title at kiosks.

“From our perspective, we’ve always felt that rental improved sellthrough, though the studios had a different point of view,” Saunders said. “What we see now though, quantitatively … by and large, people want to try it before they buy it.”
post #96 of 239 Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 AM

Liked: 11
I had a pleasant experience with it. I guess I actually go to the movie theater to see what I want to see more than wait to rent it later – I got a bad taste of Blockbuster ‘late fees’ years ago that turned me way off movie rentals too that probably figures into the mix. They were notoriously bad.

$1.50 is pretty super cheap for a Blu-ray disc rental vs. what would be $6 on Vudu for ballpark of the same quality. I’ll definitely be keeping it in mind. I know I’m super late to the game – I’ve seen people gathering around these kiosks for years (not like I’ve been in the woods/mountains and just never seen them before).

Streaming is cool. It’s nice to have all these options. I’m a little overwhelmed with options frankly between satellite, streaming, rental kiosks, and the movie theater.
post #97 of 239 Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anybody noticed that the Red Box rental site has been down on and off all day today?

Ian

post #98 of 239 Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Haven't been to their website today, but I've been to 2 kiosks today and 1 yesterday and they were all malfunctioning and was unable to rent a disc. Weird

neflixis our nemesis
post #99 of 239 Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
REDBOX should be an adjunct service for movie addicts

I like Redbox. You can't beat $1.50 rentals. Picked up the new Blu Ray Twilight release for my wife tonight.

I have a Netflix Mail acct ( 1 disc at a time)and a Blockbuster acct (3 discs at a time) so between the three services, I'm pretty covered for most all new releases.

I think the way that Netflix and Blockbuster has scaled back the number of Blu Rays available, you really need to have multiple services if you wanted newer films on a regular basis.

When all three fail, then I buy from Amazon.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #100 of 239 Old 03-02-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

REDBOX should be an adjunct service for movie addicts

I like Redbox. You can't beat $1.50 rentals. Picked up the new Blu Ray Twilight release for my wife tonight.

I have a Netflix Mail acct ( 1 disc at a time)and a Blockbuster acct (3 discs at a time) so between the three services, I'm pretty covered for most all new releases.

I think the way that Netflix and Blockbuster has scaled back the number of Blu Rays available, you really need to have multiple services if you wanted newer films on a regular basis.

When all three fail, then I buy from Amazon.

You changed your avatar? biggrin.gif I don't know how you can say Netflix scaled back their BD's, at least when it comes to new releases. Like I have posted numerous times, as long as I return my discs by Monday or Tuesday I rarely have problems getting the titles I want and I never rent DVD's.

Regards,
Ian

post #101 of 239 Old 03-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Has anybody noticed that the Red Box rental site has been down on and off all day today?

Ian

Is this what you're seeing?

Service Unavailable - DNS failure
The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.
Reference #11.e488bccc.1362252530.2a20e7

I've been having this problem intermittently for over a week. I called them and they said they're aware of the problem and offered me a freebie code but didn't get an answer regarding a resolution....was told "they're working on it." I'm seeing it on all our computers at home and our smart phones (when on wi-fi) so I started to think it was a router problem....resettilng made no difference. No one in my family is having trouble accessing any other websites. For the record, I can access Redbox 100% of the time from work or from my iPhone when not connecting through my router....very strange.

Vin
post #102 of 239 Old 03-02-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Hi Tim. Been Buckwheat for a while!!

My issue with Netflix is the fact that some studios delay their new releases with them for a month. So, that's why I have Blockbuster and use Redbox, too.

These services used to be better but they are not quite as responsive as they were years ago and that's why I felt I needed to have all services.

But yes, perhaps 'scaled back' was the wrong description.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #103 of 239 Old 03-02-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

Is this what you're seeing?

Service Unavailable - DNS failure
The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.
Reference #11.e488bccc.1362252530.2a20e7

I've been having this problem intermittently for over a week. I called them and they said they're aware of the problem and offered me a freebie code but didn't get an answer regarding a resolution....was told "they're working on it." I'm seeing it on all our computers at home and our smart phones (when on wi-fi) so I started to think it was a router problem....resettilng made no difference. No one in my family is having trouble accessing any other websites. For the record, I can access Redbox 100% of the time from work or from my iPhone when not connecting through my router....very strange.

Yes. I was having the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Hi Tim. Been Buckwheat for a while!!

My issue with Netflix is the fact that some studios delay their new releases with them for a month. So, that's why I have Blockbuster and use Redbox, too.

These services used to be better but they are not quite as responsive as they were years ago and that's why I felt I needed to have all services.

But yes, perhaps 'scaled back' was the wrong description.

I had all three pretty much for the same reason. However, it became a crap shoot with BB when it came to getting new titles on a timely basis, so I pulled the plug on them.

By the way, the names Ian. I used to spend a lot more time on the subwoofer forum. wink.gif

Ian

post #104 of 239 Old 03-02-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
No malfunction today. Finally got my bd

neflixis our nemesis
post #105 of 239 Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Red Box site is down again today.

Ian eek.gif

post #106 of 239 Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Red Box site is down again today.

Ian eek.gif

I'm still in work and can access their site no problem as always but accessing it from home has been and continues to be an intermittent problem. As I said in my earlier post, Redbox is the only site anyone in my house is having a problem with. I've considered doing a factory reset of my router but don't know if it's worth the trouble. rolleyes.gif

Vin
post #107 of 239 Old 03-08-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm still in work and can access their site no problem as always but accessing it from home has been and continues to be an intermittent problem. As I said in my earlier post, Redbox is the only site anyone in my house is having a problem with. I've considered doing a factory reset of my router but don't know if it's worth the trouble. rolleyes.gif

Maybe it's a virus that affects only Jersey households! biggrin.gif Since it's been a problem for both of us, I doubt it has anything to do with your ISP. modem, or router.

Ian

post #108 of 239 Old 03-09-2013, 10:45 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe it's a virus that affects only Jersey households! biggrin.gif Since it's been a problem for both of us, I doubt it has anything to do with your ISP. modem, or router.

Ian

Well, I just tried connecting my modem directly to my PC totaly bypassing the router (don't know why I didn't try this simple test sooner, duh!) and the problem with the Redbox site still exists so I don't know what to make of it. At least I saved myself the trouble of doing a factory reset of my router and the can of worms that may have opened. eek.gif Anyway, my ISP is Optimum, who do you have?

Vin
post #109 of 239 Old 03-09-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I just tried connecting my modem directly to my PC totaly bypassing the router (don't know why I didn't try this simple test sooner, duh!) and the problem with the Redbox site still exists so I don't know what to make of it. At least I saved myself the trouble of doing a factory reset of my router and the can of worms that may have opened. eek.gif Anyway, my ISP is Optimum, who do you have?

The same (Cablevision). However, I called them and they told me the sight is down and even they have problems loading it. It seems they are upgrading the site and as a result it has created this issue, but it will be resolved. Just not sure when. In the meantime, if you want to make a reservation on line, try going to the streaming site using it as back door and log in. You can then go to the location link, find a kiosk, browse, and choose your rental.

Ian wink.gif

post #110 of 239 Old 03-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The same (Cablevision). However, I called them and they told me the sight is down and even they have problems loading it. It seems they are upgrading the site and as a result it has created this issue, but it will be resolved. Just not sure when. In the meantime, if you want to make a reservation on line, try going to the streaming site using it as back door and log in. You can then go to the location link, find a kiosk, browse, and choose your rental.

Ian wink.gif

This site seems to indicate it's not a redbox problem but the comments suggest otherwise > http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/redbox.com.html

Vin
post #111 of 239 Old 03-09-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This site seems to indicate it's not a redbox problem but the comments suggest otherwise > http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/redbox.com.html

The site is wrong. Redbox said their own computers are also having issues loading the site. Their engineers are addressing the problem.

Ian

post #112 of 239 Old 03-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
No problems getting on the Redbox website.

post #113 of 239 Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post

No problems getting on the Redbox website.

Could be a CDN issue and is not affecting all areas.

Ian

post #114 of 239 Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Could be a CDN issue and is not affecting all areas.

Ian

A friend of mine in Central Jersey, ISP Comcast, confirmed he can access the site no problem....maybe the issue is somehow ISP related or as you say a CDN issue. In any event, I hope Redbox can get this resolved soon.

Vin
post #115 of 239 Old 03-10-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A friend of mine in Central Jersey, ISP Comcast, confirmed he can access the site no problem....maybe the issue is somehow ISP related or as you say a CDN issue. In any event, I hope Redbox can get this resolved soon.

You said you have Optimum, but what cable company?

Ian

post #116 of 239 Old 03-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You said you have Optimum, but what cable company?

Ian
Optimum is owned by Cablevision.

Vin
post #117 of 239 Old 03-10-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Optimum is owned by Cablevision.

Sorry, not much sleep last night! biggrin.gif I kept thinking Optimum owned Cablevison. rolleyes.gif

Ian

post #118 of 239 Old 03-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, not much sleep last night! biggrin.gif