Red Box - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 239 Old 11-27-2013, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
 
mifronte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere in the US of A
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Emaych, thanks for the Red Box rental of Red 2 audio specification confirmation.

Still Learning
mifronte is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 239 Old 11-27-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
We've tried to keep track of the NF as well as RB audio compromised BD's at the following thread ..

If any care to post what they know, here is the link ..

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430959/netflix-bds-without-dts-hd-master-audio-dd-5-1-instead

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #213 of 239 Old 11-27-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
42Plasmaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Confirm RED 2 from REDBOX features only DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 -- came here to post exactly that, and my reaction: will not purchase this title in protest over their rental offering. It came as an unpleasant shock while nestling up to some highly anticipated holiday viewing, but since I had just watched THE CONJURING (with excellent audio), and had only this other one, I confess I did watch it anyway. Would have purchased, but that is my consumer's stand...
The DD 5.1 audio isn't bad but it did sound like listening to a Celestion G12T-75(mid scooped) rather than a Celestion V30(full range) audio.

For a $1.50, I find the value of 1080p and DD 5.1 pretty cheap for a watch it and think about buying it trial.
The movie was fun and entertaining but it has no repeat value for me so the $1.50 was well spent.

*The retail version does have HD audio.

2014
42Plasmaman is online now  
post #214 of 239 Old 11-29-2013, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Confirm RED 2 from REDBOX features only DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 -- came here to post exactly that, and my reaction: will not purchase this title in protest over their rental offering. It came as an unpleasant shock while nestling up to some highly anticipated holiday viewing, but since I had just watched THE CONJURING (with excellent audio), and had only this other one, I confess I did watch it anyway. Would have purchased, but that is my consumer's stand...

so Lionsgate is back to offering up rentals without lossless audio...they did the same with a few titles I rented in the past- Hunger Games, Cabin in the Woods
TitusTroy is offline  
post #215 of 239 Old 12-08-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Mark Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Beautiful California
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The rental (and retail movie-only version) of 'Red' had lossy Dolby Digital sound. I don't understand why anyone is surprised that the situation is the same for the 'Red 2' rental.

BTW, due to the number of people that rent and rip (steal), I don't blame the studios for offering inferior versions for rental!

Mark
Mark Booth is offline  
post #216 of 239 Old 12-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

The rental (and retail movie-only version) of 'Red' had lossy Dolby Digital sound. I don't understand why anyone is surprised that the situation is the same for the 'Red 2' rental.

BTW, due to the number of people that rent and rip (steal), I don't blame the studios for offering inferior versions for rental!

Mark

So . . as an entertainment industry executive . . you would decide it is a smart business move to disappoint all your legitimate rental customers due to your obsession with alleged copying by a small minority of customers.
As that entertainment industry executive . . would you believe that a lossy dolby digital soundtrack on a rental blu-ray would somehow increase sales of said title?
And if not - what is the point of disappointing all your legitimate customers?
I honestly struggle with the notion that folks who rent, will run out to buy when they get home and realize they have a blu-ray with lossy audio, and/or no extra features.
I think of the extra expense of mastering, manufacturing, stocking, shipping, etc. extra versions of a blu-ray title for rental purposes vs. retial and challenge anyone to demonstrate significant enough increased sales to warrant that extra expense.
I rented Red2 - because I had no intentions of buying it - and still don't.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #217 of 239 Old 12-09-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

So . . as an entertainment industry executive . . you would decide it is a smart business move to disappoint all your legitimate rental customers due to your obsession with alleged copying by a small minority of customers.
As that entertainment industry executive . . would you believe that a lossy dolby digital soundtrack on a rental blu-ray would somehow increase sales of said title?
And if not - what is the point of disappointing all your legitimate customers?
I honestly struggle with the notion that folks who rent, will run out to buy when they get home and realize they have a blu-ray with lossy audio, and/or no extra features.
I think of the extra expense of mastering, manufacturing, stocking, shipping, etc. extra versions of a blu-ray title for rental purposes vs. retial and challenge anyone to demonstrate significant enough increased sales to warrant that extra expense.
I rented Red2 - because I had no intentions of buying it - and still don't.

Most people don't know, don't care .. they want a cheap rental .. the audio encode is rarely if ever noticed ..

The equation has been : Studios believe RB / NF undercuts the value of the content .. thus, RB / NF agrees to accept what ever version of a "rental" copy they are provided with as long as it complies with the BD Standard .. which they do ..

Yes, it may seem stupid, but it makes the Studio Execs feel good .. and they can tell the shareholders they are maximizing the value of the content .. wink.gif

At least it's not yet become a huge trend on all RB / NF BD's ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #218 of 239 Old 12-09-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Mark Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Beautiful California
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

So . . as an entertainment industry executive . . you would decide it is a smart business move to disappoint all your legitimate rental customers due to your obsession with alleged copying by a small minority of customers.
As that entertainment industry executive . . would you believe that a lossy dolby digital soundtrack on a rental blu-ray would somehow increase sales of said title?
And if not - what is the point of disappointing all your legitimate customers?
I honestly struggle with the notion that folks who rent, will run out to buy when they get home and realize they have a blu-ray with lossy audio, and/or no extra features.
I think of the extra expense of mastering, manufacturing, stocking, shipping, etc. extra versions of a blu-ray title for rental purposes vs. retial and challenge anyone to demonstrate significant enough increased sales to warrant that extra expense.
I rented Red2 - because I had no intentions of buying it - and still don't.

Did you watch 'Red 2' when you rented it? If so, then the studio got what they needed from the rental disc (and a their share of money from you). And, just like the movie-only/rental version of 'Red', I suspect the 'Red 2' rental disc fit on a BD25 thanks to the smaller space needed with lossy audio. So the studio saved money (vs. a BD50) by going with lossy audio on the rental.

For RENTAL discs, yes, if I was a studio exec, I would be in favor of saving money when producing tens of thousands of rental discs. Even if it's only 50 cents per disc, that's $50,000 saved on 100,000 discs! And I'd also be in favor of providing some incentive to encourage folks to buy the more full-featured version at retail. Whether that would be more bonus material or lossless audio.

Mark
Mark Booth is offline  
post #219 of 239 Old 12-09-2013, 02:27 PM
 
Steeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vegas
Posts: 3,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

So . . as an entertainment industry executive . . you would decide it is a smart business move to disappoint all your legitimate rental customers due to your obsession with alleged copying by a small minority of customers.
If you want to talk about a small minority of customers, talk about those who are aware of (not bothered by, mind you, but aware of) the fact that some of the discs they're renting have 640 kbps DD as opposed to lossless audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

As that entertainment industry executive . . would you believe that a lossy dolby digital soundtrack on a rental blu-ray would somehow increase sales of said title?
And if not - what is the point of disappointing all your legitimate customers?
If you're only renting the disc, then you're not the "entertainment industry executive's" customer - you're Redbox's. They are concerned about their so-called "legitimate customers," but those are the ones who actually spend money on their products.

And again, claiming that they're "disappointing all your legitimate customers" is giving the average renter (even those renting BDs) way more credit than they deserve. This is only a big deal on forums like this, and even then it's only a handful of people complaining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

I honestly struggle with the notion that folks who rent, will run out to buy when they get home and realize they have a blu-ray with lossy audio, and/or no extra features.
I rented the first Hunger Games because I had no idea if it was going to be something I would enjoy or not. It didn't have lossless audio on rental disc, of course.

I ended up buying the retail version, and the improved audio and extras helped with that decision.

If you want the best, you have to spend a little money. This is nothing new in this hobby of ours.
Steeb is offline  
post #220 of 239 Old 12-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Mark Booth:
So you are suggesting that providing a lossy dolby digital track instead of a lossless track is just to save space and avoid double layer media. Maybe - but I was suggesting that the savings using such moves must be compared to the costs of dealing with multiple versions of the title starting from media design, on through mastering, manufacturing, inventory, distribution , etc. Most folks probably don't care about getting the best possible quality audio, especially since they are probably listening through TV speakers or cheap home theater equipment.

Steeb:
It is true that most folks probably do not place great value on top quality video/audio - which is why blu-ray has not (and most likely never will) achieve a greater market share than DVD. As for your assumptions about my status as a customer - I purchase far too many blu-ray titles, & rent only a handful. I would guess I am in the top 5% of the movie industry's favorite consumers based on purchasing. But I most assuredly detest poor quality products whether it be media or equipment. However, I generally make my rent vs. buy decision pretty early on. I tend to watch extras once only and have never seen the need to purchase something I've already rented just for the extras. I do value the best audio possible in my home theater, but again I do not recall ever running out to purchase a previously rented title strictly to upgrade the audio experience. I most assuredly have purchased titles multiple times when significantly improved releases have come available. If you've been addicted to this hobby as long as I have, you probably have purchased a number of titles like I have on VHS tape then laser disc then DVD then HD-DVD or Blu-ray, etc. . . .

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #221 of 239 Old 12-09-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeb View Post


I rented the first Hunger Games because I had no idea if it was going to be something I would enjoy or not. It didn't have lossless audio on rental disc, of course.

I ended up buying the retail version, and the improved audio and extras helped with that decision.

If you want the best, you have to spend a little money. This is nothing new in this hobby of ours.

It's funny you should mention HG because I did exactly the same thing .. so, we know now that at least 2 BD's were actually bought based on a rental viewing ... wink.gif .. it worked, IOW

I don't own a reference system, but it's pretty close ... and DD 5.1 on Red II is not the Ghetto of audio .. I won't get into the whole "can you really tell the difference .. ?" bit .. which, like the rental copy issue becomes nothing more than a dog chasing it's tail anyway ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #222 of 239 Old 12-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

It's funny you should mention HG because I did exactly the same thing .. so, we know now that at least 2 BD's were actually bought based on a rental viewing ... wink.gif .. it worked, IOW

I don't own a reference system, but it's pretty close ... and DD 5.1 on Red II is not the Ghetto of audio .. I won't get into the whole "can you really tell the difference .. ?" bit .. which, like the rental copy issue becomes nothing more than a dog chasing it's tail anyway ..

The question under discussion is . . did you buy it because the rental did not offer lossless audio or extras (ie. the things Lionsgate/Summitt removes from rental versions frequently) - or because you decided you really liked the movie and wanted to watch it multiple times? Personally, I bought the title without renting it first because I had read the books and seen the film in the movie theater and knew I wanted to own it so no motivation to rent. The same thing will occur for the 2nd film which I've seen in the theater and will purchase on blu-ray at some point.
I agree that the difference between a well made lossy audio track vs. lossless audio is usually not earth shattering and often quite subtle. A quality audio reproduction system is needed for it to matter very much.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #223 of 239 Old 12-10-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr. wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: land of the pumas
Posts: 3,805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Somewhat off current topic, but is redbox not only giving us second tier audio rentals, but also starting to limit br titles

tried to rent way way back on br tonite and title was nowhere to be found in my area. Saw a redbox reps response to a Facebook post online basically stating they aren't going to carry less popular titles in both formats

I hope I'm wrong about this, but squeezing br title availability is not going to generate ongoing enthusiasm for their rental business

neflixis our nemesis
mr. wally is offline  
post #224 of 239 Old 12-11-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Somewhat off current topic, but is redbox not only giving us second tier audio rentals, but also starting to limit br titles

tried to rent way way back on br tonite and title was nowhere to be found in my area. Saw a redbox reps response to a Facebook post online basically stating they aren't going to carry less popular titles in both formats

I hope I'm wrong about this, but squeezing br title availability is not going to generate ongoing enthusiasm for their rental business

RB has never carried BD on the less than the most popular titles that I know of .. and this time of the year, more rentals are generated due to folks staying at home more so than they do Spring, Summer, Fall .. thus causing quicker out of stocks .. as well, DVD is till the most popular format with the general population ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #225 of 239 Old 12-27-2013, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

It is true that most folks probably do not place great value on top quality video/audio - which is why blu-ray has not (and most likely never will) achieve a greater market share than DVD

the people that buy/rent Blu-ray's obviously do care about top quality video/audio otherwise they would just buy/rent the DVD...so offering rentals without lossless audio definitely effects the intended target audience
TitusTroy is offline  
post #226 of 239 Old 12-27-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

the people that buy/rent Blu-ray's obviously do care about top quality video/audio otherwise they would just buy/rent the DVD...so offering rentals without lossless audio definitely effects the intended target audience


Not as much as you may think, since the difference in picture quality far exceeds the difference between lossless and loosy audio quality. How many BD renters have invested in a high performance HT surround system that takes advantage of DTS MA or True HD? Most of these consumers either listen through the TV, or invest in a sound bar system if they want better sound quality.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #227 of 239 Old 01-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
so . . . "Red 2" blu-ray rental from Red Box.
This is another gimped blu-ray rental title with no extras & lossy dolby digital instead of any flavor of lossless audio.
This was an enjoyable title. Would I have preferred having lossless audio? Sure. Extras? Sure. Will I run out and buy it to see again with lossless audio & some extras?
Not a snowball's chance in . . . :-)
Hughmc likes this.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #228 of 239 Old 01-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
jlanzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post


Not as much as you may think, since the difference in picture quality far exceeds the difference between lossless and loosy audio quality. How many BD renters have invested in a high performance HT surround system that takes advantage of DTS MA or True HD? Most of these consumers either listen through the TV, or invest in a sound bar system if they want better sound quality.

Ian

 

I agree, video br vs dvd is much more noticeable than lossy vs lossless.  I was disappointed expendables 2 and red 2 NF rentals only had the lossy soundtracks, I have an 11.2 array, with powered towers for front and rear and towers for side surrounds, with  18" and 15" subwoofers. The differences in lossy from lossless on my system is noticebly less defined.

But both of those lossy tracks were still fun. I never purchase movies only rent except the rare star wars/lord of the rings/matrix trilogies, so the lossy tracks would never be sufficient for me to purchase over renting. Fortunately for those of us who have a sound system capable of easily distinguishing lossy from lossless, most rentals don't dumb down the soundtracks. But , really , outside of our forum compadres, how many really have a full 5.1 or more set up that makes the difference noticeble, probably not many.

jlanzy is offline  
post #229 of 239 Old 01-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Here's an example of movie studio brainless:

"Getaway" - 2013 starring Ethan Hawke & Selena Gomez
The retail release (according to a review I read) has DTS HD Master Audio 5.1, and 5 extras running 1 minute each & is a 25gb BD-Rom.
The Redbox rental I just picked up is also 25gb, has DTS Master Auudio 5.1 sound, but is minus the 5, 1 minute each extras.
Does that make any sense to anyone? Who would run out to buy this title after renting it just for the sake of those 5, 1 minute each extras?
Why would Warner incur the extra expense of mastering, manufacturing and carrying inventory of a separate version of this title for this purpose?
I really could not care less about those 5 extras, beyond wondering what idiot at Warner makes these decisions & why.
Of course based upon the reviews, one might wonder why I even bothered to rent it (the answer, of course, is a Shelby Mustang racing down the road).

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #230 of 239 Old 01-07-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 3,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

Here's an example of movie studio brainless:

"Getaway" - 2013 starring Ethan Hawke & Selena Gomez
The retail release (according to a review I read) has DTS HD Master Audio 5.1, and 5 extras running 1 minute each & is a 25gb BD-Rom.
The Redbox rental I just picked up is also 25gb, has DTS Master Auudio 5.1 sound, but is minus the 5, 1 minute each extras.
Does that make any sense to anyone? Who would run out to buy this title after renting it just for the sake of those 5, 1 minute each extras?
Why would Warner incur the extra expense of mastering, manufacturing and carrying inventory of a separate version of this title for this purpose?
I really could not care less about those 5 extras, beyond wondering what idiot at Warner makes these decisions & why.
Of course based upon the reviews, one might wonder why I even bothered to rent it (the answer, of course, is a Shelby Mustang racing down the road).
I think it's more about not increasing the supply of used copies available for a certain movie. Hordes of ex-rental copies tended to seriously depress the sale value of new copies, particularly for used rental discs that were identical to normal retail copies. The studios are trying to prevent the wide availability of used rental copies from destroying their pricing power of new copies.
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #231 of 239 Old 01-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

I think it's more about not increasing the supply of used copies available for a certain movie. Hordes of ex-rental copies tended to seriously depress the sale value of new copies, particularly for used rental discs that were identical to normal retail copies. The studios are trying to prevent the wide availability of used rental copies from destroying their pricing power of new copies.

Maybe you are right. However, imho, the expense of creating, mastering, manufacturing, carrying inventory and distributing a rental version of a release that differs from the retail version by only the exclusion of 5, 1 minute each extras remains one of the most mindless decisions a movie studio could make. I honestly believe rental customers are rental customers, and buyers are buyers, regardless of the silly games played with lossy vs. lossless audio and inclusion/exclusion of extras. The same attitude goes for copy prevention expenses like paying verance for every disc that includes an audio track corrupted with cinavia. Sony et al would be better off spending their money making the product more flexible for use and attractive for purchase - again - imho.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #232 of 239 Old 01-08-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

Maybe you are right. However, imho, the expense of creating, mastering, manufacturing, carrying inventory and distributing a rental version of a release that differs from the retail version by only the exclusion of 5, 1 minute each extras remains one of the most mindless decisions a movie studio could make. I honestly believe rental customers are rental customers, and buyers are buyers, regardless of the silly games played with lossy vs. lossless audio and inclusion/exclusion of extras. The same attitude goes for copy prevention expenses like paying verance for every disc that includes an audio track corrupted with cinavia. Sony et al would be better off spending their money making the product more flexible for use and attractive for purchase - again - imho.

The manufacturing process is automated .. a mouse click can remove the HD audio, there is really no re-master that goes on, it's already been mastered for multi formats .. the disks are shipped to NF and RB in bulk packaging with no fancy plastic box .. the box a retail version comes in costs more to make than the disk .. there is a significant savings to the studio ..

Then, it's possible the disk with lossy audio / no extras could fit on a single layer BD .. 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc .. single layer = cheaper

Yes, it's the generic version but it still meets the BD standard ..

Studios believe NF / RB degrade the value of the content .. downgrade audio is their way of beefing up the value of a full retail version .. NF / RB are not going to fight it since it allows them to buy at a cheap price and rent to you at a cheap price ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #233 of 239 Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Rich86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA - California
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

The manufacturing process is automated .. a mouse click can remove the HD audio, there is really no re-master that goes on, it's already been mastered for multi formats .. the disks are shipped to NF and RB in bulk packaging with no fancy plastic box .. the box a retail version comes in costs more to make than the disk .. there is a significant savings to the studio ..

Then, it's possible the disk with lossy audio / no extras could fit on a single layer BD .. 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc .. single layer = cheaper

Yes, it's the generic version but it still meets the BD standard ..

Studios believe NF / RB degrade the value of the content .. downgrade audio is their way of beefing up the value of a full retail version .. NF / RB are not going to fight it since it allows them to buy at a cheap price and rent to you at a cheap price ..

Everyone gets to have an opinion.
But regarding the specific example I posted about = "Getaway", a 2013 release that is identical between the retail and rental version except for excluding 5, 1 minute each extras on the rental version (they are both 25 gb media), spending ANY $$ to create and maintain a different version of the disc for rental purposes is a waste of their money. And accomplishes absolutely nothing.

A long-time audio/video addict!
Rich86 is offline  
post #234 of 239 Old 01-08-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

Everyone gets to have an opinion.
But regarding the specific example I posted about = "Getaway", a 2013 release that is identical between the retail and rental version except for excluding 5, 1 minute each extras on the rental version (they are both 25 gb media), spending ANY $$ to create and maintain a different version of the disc for rental purposes is a waste of their money. And accomplishes absolutely nothing.

What I posted was not an opinion ..

and although I agree with you, the Studio Execs are convinced : "Studios believe NF / RB degrade the value of the content .. downgrade audio is their way of beefing up the value of a full retail version .."

And those Execs believe as well that downgrade audio cheap rentals will help beef up sales of retail versions .. that's just the way it is .. what they think they are accomplishing is two fold ..

1) They think they will sell more full version retail disks

2) They can tell shareholders they are maximizing the value of the content ..

in truth, they are doing nothing .. wink.gif
Hughmc likes this.

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is online now  
post #235 of 239 Old 01-08-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cinema13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

What I posted was not an opinion ..

and although I agree with you, the Studio Execs are convinced : "Studios believe NF / RB degrade the value of the content .. downgrade audio is their way of beefing up the value of a full retail version .."

And those Execs believe as well that downgrade audio cheap rentals will help beef up sales of retail versions .. that's just the way it is .. what they think they are accomplishing is two fold ..

1) They think they will sell more full version retail disks

2) They can tell shareholders they are maximizing the value of the content ..


n truth, they are doing nothing .. wink.gif

They are actually HURTIBG retail sales by only allow stripped-down discs for rental. Personally, I've stopped buying BDs just out of principle! (I now only buy the occasional 3D release or catalogue title) But for the casual consumer, a rental does not reveal what most BDs used to include, so there is no incentive to buy. They might just as well opt for a higher priced streaming option..which. also offers directors/extended cuts. Can't get them on a BD rental. The studio Home Video people are just clueless.
Hughmc likes this.

cinema13 is offline  
post #236 of 239 Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hughmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

What I posted was not an opinion ..

and although I agree with you, the Studio Execs are convinced : "Studios believe NF / RB degrade the value of the content .. downgrade audio is their way of beefing up the value of a full retail version .."

And those Execs believe as well that downgrade audio cheap rentals will help beef up sales of retail versions .. that's just the way it is .. what they think they are accomplishing is two fold ..

1) They think they will sell more full version retail disks

2) They can tell shareholders they are maximizing the value of the content ..

in truth, they are doing nothing .. wink.gif
Some of this I copied from another thread I posted in smile.gif
Actually they are doing something. Creating ill will and losing business. You are not alone..there are thousands now doing the same, not buying, not renting or calling and getting credited. I know they are pushing the buy, but It gets worse...the BD starts with a DTS MA track, sound teaser..then the previews are DD, which is standard, but then so is the movie. So...into my cynical mode I go...I refuse to buy a movie for an audio track . I like you want what we had and nothing short of what is capable. I really want to bring back the rental, call Redbox, get a refund which they will do and tell them not to cater to the studios...blah blah. I know, waste of time. I am paying the same and getting less, yet the studios are paying less and giving us less and making more. They get more money, we get less product. The industry is not making enough profit to offset consumer dislike for less product/same price and that is why we will be going to all downloads in a few years and getting less unless they can come up with a way to offer eq sound and pic. Granted the industry is in business to make money, but I don't need ANY of this....its a want...empowerment, but I don't want it bad enough to play the game. Wish I could turn back the clock to having stores like Hollywood and BD's with lossless. I did call Redbox and I will call Lionsgate Monday. Redbox gave me the credit back on my card as they now can do it or offer two free rentals. Normally I would take the rentals, but its the point and RB did nothing wrong except cave to studios. SO long term...we win. Why? We don't have to buy this...any of this...again its a want. We all start thinking and acting that way and we get action and the studios, trust this from a business/ marketing perspective...they are making record profits...more than they ever have. Good for them, thats what we want businesses to do...be successful, but when they penny pinch and dollar pound, they lose respect and business. THey aren't as smart or with it as they seem. If they were, they wouldn't be doing things like dumbing down audio or video without realizing the impact.
Hughmc is offline  
post #237 of 239 Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hughmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

Maybe you are right. However, imho, the expense of creating, mastering, manufacturing, carrying inventory and distributing a rental version of a release that differs from the retail version by only the exclusion of 5, 1 minute each extras remains one of the most mindless decisions a movie studio could make. I honestly believe rental customers are rental customers, and buyers are buyers, regardless of the silly games played with lossy vs. lossless audio and inclusion/exclusion of extras. The same attitude goes for copy prevention expenses like paying verance for every disc that includes an audio track corrupted with cinavia. Sony et al would be better off spending their money making the product more flexible for use and attractive for purchase - again - imho.


belief is just that, belief. I have believed many things till I found out facts and truth. THe fact is renters buy and buyers rent, but I am doing less of both now than I did a few years ago and it is directly due to giving us less and paying more for less. Not about the money, but about the detriment of a hobby that we are all invested in, yet the return on investment is decreasing while costs increase. That is a poor investment, but the studios really aren't getting it. This has happen many times in major corps in the past...the genius marketing people get told by the execs what is expected...meanwhile the marketing people know its a huge marketing disaster, but they go along to up the bottom line, until the execs realize they were wrong, which they are in this case, and then they change.
Hughmc is offline  
post #238 of 239 Old 03-07-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hughmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Somewhat off current topic, but is redbox not only giving us second tier audio rentals, but also starting to limit br titles

tried to rent way way back on br tonite and title was nowhere to be found in my area. Saw a redbox reps response to a Facebook post online basically stating they aren't going to carry less popular titles in both formats

I hope I'm wrong about this, but squeezing br title availability is not going to generate ongoing enthusiasm for their rental business

been seeing this in my small town for two years. We have 3 redboxes....and its a college town. The major titles on occasion float in towns around ours, but I can see what is happening. THey are getting less...stretching them out and then a week later bringing to my town...a week after release. IF I was bored and had time and money I would go to surrounding towns rent em all and bring em back to my town just to mess with Redbox. Really this makes no sense...either way they buy a certain amount...what difference does the town make...either way they are going to get rented, unless the person doesn't want to drive to a more out of the way town. I want in on logistics discussions at these companies, because the software and the computer programmers are dolts at times...book smart and brain dead....so caught up in trying to get it to look good, new code/software they forget common sense.
Hughmc is offline  
post #239 of 239 Old 03-08-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

Somewhat off current topic, but is redbox not only giving us second tier audio rentals, but also starting to limit br titles

tried to rent way way back on br tonite and title was nowhere to be found in my area. Saw a redbox reps response to a Facebook post online basically stating they aren't going to carry less popular titles in both formats

I hope I'm wrong about this, but squeezing br title availability is not going to generate ongoing enthusiasm for their rental business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

been seeing this in my small town for two years. We have 3 redboxes....and its a college town. The major titles on occasion float in towns around ours, but I can see what is happening. THey are getting less...stretching them out and then a week later bringing to my town...a week after release. IF I was bored and had time and money I would go to surrounding towns rent em all and bring em back to my town just to mess with Redbox. Really this makes no sense...either way they buy a certain amount...what difference does the town make...either way they are going to get rented, unless the person doesn't want to drive to a more out of the way town. I want in on logistics discussions at these companies, because the software and the computer programmers are dolts at times...book smart and brain dead....so caught up in trying to get it to look good, new code/software they forget common sense.

I usually use Netflix, but since Thor The Dark World was on a very log wait, I checked my local RedBoxes and not one kiosk in my county had it listed in their inventory. Finally the local Walmart received a copy this week, but by that time Netflix already shipped it to me.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off