Toho Remasters All Godzilla Films For HD/BR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-07-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
This year, Japanese film studio Toho began a massive project to eventually get their entire catalog of monster/sci-fi/fantasy films, including all the movies featuring Godzilla upgraded and remastered for HD broadcast and eventual blu-ray release. Here's a link to an article which describes the program documenting the process and screening schedule of the movies on the Japanese Movie Specialty Channel:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...a-x-hi-vision/

(some comments from the article used below)

Recently, a short documentary on the recent HiDef remasters has been broadcast on Japanese HD television over the past and future month. First airing on August 15th, with repeat showings throughout August and September, is the Japanese Movie Specialty Channel's original program GODZILLA X HI-VISION: THE SHOWA MONSTER GODZILLA RESURRECTED IN HI-VISION (GODZILLA X Hi-Vision - Haibijon de Yomigaeru Shouwa no Kaijuu Gojira). This half-hour behind the scenes documentary follows the process of restoration and the daily hardships of the production staff working to restore the 28 iconic films. (program transport stream video - 1920x1080i) AAC audio (2.66gig). In Japanese with no English subs, the program looks at the remastering process, negative clean-up technology, color correction, and a reunion of old Toho dudes revisiting the films and seeing the new Hi-Def remasters. As some Toho aficionados know, the earlier Toho special effects-laden films up through the beginning of the 60's suffered significant scratches, dirt and other damage on the original film emulsion caused by obsolete optical printers and poor handling of the original elements and primitive storage techniques. Thus classic Toho films like "Godzilla" will never look pristine despite the massive amount of digital frame-by-frame work that's been done with the best surviving elements.

It is expected that Toho will begin rolling out the films on blu-ray at about 1 to 3 per quarter in a somewhat sequential order to the film's original release starting in late Summer, early Winter of '09. It is also likely many of the films will include the original mono (or stereo) soundtracks, isolated film scores as well as "5.1 Remixed Surround" soundtracks much like the region 2 dvds did with varying results (some were decent, some sounded terrible). Other extras widely vary depending on the film as seen on the original region 2 dvds. I would *not* expect to see North America or "International" English language dubbed versions paired on these releases.

Here's the program's website:

http://www.nihon-eiga.com/godzilla/

Here are a few large format screen grabs from the program:

http://bayimg.com/image/falfdaabm.jpg
http://bayimg.com/image/falfaaabm.jpg
http://bayimg.com/image/falfhaabm.jpg
http://bayimg.com/image/falfkaabm.jpg

T.B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because I am insane, I will rebuy all these films a third time to add to my vhs/dvd collection.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-07-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated-rsuperstar View Post

Because I am insane, I will rebuy all these films a third time to add to my vhs/dvd collection.

And I'm a member of the same mental asylum.

Count me in.
post #4 of 19 Old 11-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaKane View Post

And I'm a member of the same mental asylum.

Count me in.

If you guys are in the looney bin, then I'm the guy running the place. Must haves for me!
post #5 of 19 Old 11-07-2008, 02:25 PM

Sign me up .

Godzilla 1985 me wantse very bad. Nothing would please me more than watching G and the Super X battle it out in HD.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-07-2008, 03:51 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

.....starting in late Summer, early Winter of '09.

I believe there's a name for that time of year. It's on the tip of my tongue.......

I'd buy the original Godzilla, at least. Is Rodan in the Toho catalogue?
post #7 of 19 Old 11-07-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnikirk View Post

If you guys are in the looney bin, then I'm the guy running the place. Must haves for me!

Welcome to the club!!! Now where are my meds?
post #8 of 19 Old 11-07-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
I should have never clicked on this thread. My wallet just screamed in agony.

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #9 of 19 Old 11-07-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Count me as one who'd again re-buy the entire Toho catalog on blu-ray despite the likely fact some of the older films will still look pretty dodgy in hidef even with a lot of digital cleanup.

I bought many of the Japanese imports on laserdisc, sometimes twice when a lot of the films were "digitally remastered" in the early 90's. I still proudly own and display the huge "Godzilla Death Battle" LD box. I again bought *every* Toho genre movie on R2 dvd over the last decade, including some rarely seen films like The Human Vapor" and "The Last War." Those region 2 releases were the primary motivation for getting an early multi-region dvd player when they costs nearly $700. I've even bought most of the US English-dubbed Toho releases as well.

Now in the next few years, it's going to be blu-ray.

T.B.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Sign me up for Gojira and Godzilla 85. I don't care too much for the others, but those two (Gojira in particular) are awesome movies. I'd love to replace my crappy R3 Godzilla 85 DVD that has Chinese subtitles along with the English subtitles.

2010 - In Jimbo I Trust. Go Noles!
2010 - If we had a real QB, the West is Ours. Go Niners!
post #11 of 19 Old 11-11-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

I bought many of the Japanese imports on laserdisc, sometimes twice when a lot of the films were "digitally remastered" in the early 90's. I still proudly own and display the huge "Godzilla Death Battle" LD box.

T.B.

I have been looking for the Death Battle Box for years. I have the majority of the Godzilla laserdisc box sets that I picked up several years ago at the G-Gon in Chicago. Had them signed by both actors who played Godzilla (old/new series) as well as the guy who designed the majority of the monsters from the new series.

I would buy all these on blu-ray in a heartbeat.

Is my asylum cell ready....I have a reservation.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-11-2008, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron II View Post

I have been looking for the Death Battle Box for years. I have the majority of the Godzilla laserdisc box sets that I picked up several years ago at the G-Gon in Chicago. Had them signed by both actors who played Godzilla (old/new series) as well as the guy who designed the majority of the monsters from the new series.

I would buy all these on blu-ray in a heartbeat.

Is my asylum cell ready....I have a reservation.

You should check eBay regularly. The Death Battle LD box set pops up there about once a month usually going for around $100 or even less. I paid just about $500 for mine when it was first released in the mid 80's. It's also worth noting that the "unreleased" footage from various '60's Godzilla movies included on the 2nd side of the Mothra LD in the set includes a lot of cut footage and alternate effects footage from "Godzilla vs Mothra" in color and in better condition than what appeared on the bonus 3 dvd set in the deluxe "Godzilla Complete dvd Collection" (the set with the full sized Godzilla '54 head display).

T.B.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-11-2008, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Would LOVE to see the more recent Godzillas (made after 2000) on HD w/lossless audio...these include: 'G' Against MegaGodzilla, Tokyo S.O.S., Monsters All-Out Attack, 'G' vs Megaguirus....however, I hated Final Wars, which tried too hard to be 'hip' by integrating over the top CGI and unneccessary martial art sequences, which added nothing to the story.

The SD versions of the above titles already have great DD 5.1 tracks, which utilize the LFE channel to an infinitely greater degree than the older entries -- all the way from the 50's to the early 90's. I absolutely LOVE the seismic pitter-patter of Japanese monsters on my tri-sub equipped H/T....even more so than from the typical Hollywood generated explosions.

BTW, the admittedly limited responses to this thread makes me feel like I'm part of an exclusive fraternity of enlightened fans who 'get' Gojira....most family members and friends (especially those of the younger persuasion) don't share my enthusiasm for the beast -- kitchyness and all.

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
post #14 of 19 Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Going by the mangled translations by Google, viewer reaction to these HD broadcasts seems to be pretty positive, with the magic words "film-like" being thrown around frequently, despite Japanese viewers also having to deal with "HD-Lite" overcompression like we do over here.

Partyslammer I think I remember you from alt.movies.monster!
post #15 of 19 Old 11-12-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
BTW, the admittedly limited responses to this thread makes me feel like I'm part of an exclusive fraternity of enlightened fans who 'get' Gojira....most family members and friends (especially those of the younger persuasion) don't share my enthusiasm for the beast -- kitchyness and all.

I remember standing in a line that wrapped all the way around the block at the old Tivoli theater in Calgary to see Godzilla vs the Smog Monster. I think the fact they are remastering them is great and a few will probably make it into my collection one day. But there is a lot of content coming out right now that will get priority.
post #16 of 19 Old 11-12-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I grew up on those Toho classics and while I can't help but wonder how the effects would hold up to HD scrutiny, I'll still probably spring for Monster Zero (a/k/a Godzilla vs. Monster Zero), my favorite of the bunch.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-12-2008, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

For me those are like Pokemon... I have to get them all :-)

I would also get Ultraman if it was available the DVD are so-so. The Gamera films would be nice also.
post #18 of 19 Old 11-12-2008, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
i love the old godzilla flicks, but i'm not so sure about having them in hd... i'm afraid that the "effects" might fall apart... it's easy enough to see through them in sd...

i'm willing to give it a shot though...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #19 of 19 Old 11-12-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferax View Post

For me those are like Pokemon... I have to get them all :-)

I would also get Ultraman if it was available the DVD are so-so. The Gamera films would be nice also.

Well Ultraman is coming to bluray as well.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...n-japan-12309/
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page