Baraka comparison *PIX* - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #601 of 618 Old 03-26-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Oh, I posted it for scowl, but he seems to have made up his mind a while ago regardless of the evidence.

In fact I haven't made up my mind because in most cases without seeing the original print or reading an article on the film, I have no evidence as to what actually happened. All we're doing here is looking at screen shots, speculating about what we see, jumping to damning conclusions and pointing fingers at who ruined the release.

I can say that the DoP may have used a Schneider or Pro-Mist filter to make an actress look nicer in a close-up. You may say that particular scene was destroyed by DNR because it looks soft. There's no way to know for sure.

Not every frame in a film is perfectly sharp and perfectly exposed or intended to be that way.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
scowl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #602 of 618 Old 03-26-2009, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cakefoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Should I post it a third time?

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

cakefoo is offline  
post #603 of 618 Old 03-27-2009, 05:50 AM
Member
 
Cristo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jeez, folks, if it looks so crappy, there is a simple solution.

Don't watch it anymore. Problem solved.
Cristo is offline  
post #604 of 618 Old 03-27-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cakefoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So we have two choices: either a) learn to enjoy EE and DNR, or b) shut up about it and quietly sell it on eBay, without so much as hinting why to the experts lurking.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

cakefoo is offline  
post #605 of 618 Old 03-27-2009, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
patrick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

So we have two choices: either a) learn to enjoy EE and DNR, or b) shut up about it and quietly sell it on eBay, without so much as hinting why to the experts lurking.

Pretending that there is nothing wrong here is certainly not an approach that is likely to lead to less EE on future efforts.
patrick99 is offline  
post #606 of 618 Old 03-28-2009, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mhafner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 4,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Not every frame in a film is perfectly sharp and perfectly exposed or intended to be that way.

The issue with this title is far from optimal filtering (sharpening, downsampling) leaving haloes behind. As the first 8K title coming to market some teething problems are normal. The second title (Grand Canyon) has already solved this issue.
mhafner is offline  
post #607 of 618 Old 03-28-2009, 03:24 AM
 
FoxyMulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I can say that the DoP may have used a Schneider or Pro-Mist filter to make an actress look nicer in a close-up. You may say that particular scene was destroyed by DNR because it looks soft. There's no way to know for sure.

It's usually very easy to tell the difference between a soft focus close up of an actress and DNR. They just look totally different so i don't accept your argument.
FoxyMulder is offline  
post #608 of 618 Old 03-28-2009, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Oliver Klohs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Posts: 2,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

The issue with this title is far from optimal filtering (sharpening, downsampling) leaving haloes behind. As the first 8K title coming to market some teething problems are normal. The second title (Grand Canyon) has already solved this issue.

All very true.

I would hope that the talk about DNR would stop as anomalies that can be seen are sufficiently explained by the filtering applied and the way the movie was shot

South Pacific is supposedly the third 8k title, and also does seem improved in the areas that you mentioned. I look forward to receiving my copy.
Oliver Klohs is offline  
post #609 of 618 Old 04-26-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jarod M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

In fact I haven't made up my mind because in most cases without seeing the original print or reading an article on the film, I have no evidence as to what actually happened. All we're doing here is looking at screen shots, speculating about what we see, jumping to damning conclusions and pointing fingers at who ruined the release.

I can say that the DoP may have used a Schneider or Pro-Mist filter to make an actress look nicer in a close-up. You may say that particular scene was destroyed by DNR because it looks soft. There's no way to know for sure.

Not every frame in a film is perfectly sharp and perfectly exposed or intended to be that way.

Today I saw a freshly struck 70mm print of Baraka expertly projected onto a 50 foot screen. I specifically looked for moments that could be mistaken for DNR or edge enhancement/ringing. I saw none. However, I did notice that edges were sometimes very sharply defined, particularly during the early scenes of the film.
Jarod M is offline  
post #610 of 618 Old 06-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Member
 
Stepinfetch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near Pittsburg Pa
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just watched this on blu ray on my TH-42PZ700u and my audio system and I do say I was impressed. I really enjoyed the audio track of DTS-HD without a decent sound setup I would have not been as immersed.

The PQ though to me was phenomenal, many scenes did have very distinct edges but overall this one is a keeper. This movie is great to show what the world really is like outside mainstream.
Stepinfetch is offline  
post #611 of 618 Old 01-04-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 4,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 166
well, after 20 minutes of looking around for it, I cannot believe that the question of Baraka bluray remaster vs Baraka bluray hasn't come up anywhere.

Amazon shows released dates within a couple months of eachother. Is there any difference between these two bluray releases, other than packaging differences?

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
CruelInventions is offline  
post #612 of 618 Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 19,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Amazon shows released dates within a couple months of eachother. Is there any difference between these two bluray releases, other than packaging differences?

It's just a packaging change from the cardboard box to a plastic keepcase.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is online now  
post #613 of 618 Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 4,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 166
ok, thanks for confirming!

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
CruelInventions is offline  
post #614 of 618 Old 01-04-2010, 05:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dad1153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 34,810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Just spent two weeks vacation with my folks in Phoenix. They bought an $80 Magnavox Blu-ray player on Black Friday to go with their 2008 model 52" Samsung LCD with 120Hz refresh rate that only had an HD-DVD player and HD cable connected to it. Anywho, they hadn't hooked the player up yet when I showed up before Christmas with an HDMI cable and a small pouch of high-def and DVD discs to (a) watch on my own time or (b) share with my dad and stepmom if they were in the mood. So, a couple of days into my vacation I talked them into hooking their Magnavox BD player with my (now their) HDMI cable and debut their new machine with this movie they'd never heard of called "Baraka." In the two weeks I stayed there we watched lots of new-to-them BD's ("400 Blows," "The Descent," "Snow White," etc.), HD-DVD's ("Full Metal Jacket," "Blazing Saddles," "2001: A Space Odyssey," etc.) and even one DVD (Truffaut's "Jules and Jim") that literally blew my father/stepmom's minds and expanded their idea of what a movie could be. But they said they will always remember how "Baraka" looked/sounded as the first BD title they ever saw because not only was it extremely pretty high-def pictures with cool music/voices, but because it was unlike anything they said they had ever even considered as something that could be a movie: pictures without words.
dad1153 is online now  
post #615 of 618 Old 08-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Pepster returns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

well, after 20 minutes of looking around for it, I cannot believe that the question of Baraka bluray remaster vs Baraka bluray hasn't come up anywhere.

Amazon shows released dates within a couple months of eachother. Is there any difference between these two bluray releases, other than packaging differences?

Yes, Baraka is nice eye candy...

...but I am completely puzzled as to why it scored 38th best PQ in the BD-PQ Tier list: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342

My BD copy of Baraka is a bit on the soft side - there are thick edges around fine detail, eg the monkey's hair (screen shots earlier in this thread).

My BD copy of Baraka (viewed on a Panny plasma, no sharpening) is definitely soft, as compared to recent releases, and my own CANON DSLR footage is much sharper.
Pepster returns is offline  
post #616 of 618 Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BIG ED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: California Wine Country
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster returns View Post

Yes, Baraka is nice eye candy...

...but I am completely puzzled as to why it scored 38th best PQ in the BD-PQ Tier list: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168342

My BD copy of Baraka is a bit on the soft side - there are thick edges around fine detail, eg the monkey's hair (screen shots earlier in this thread).

"Baraka"'s Tier ranking spks more too the Tier ranking than too the transfer itself.
I'll say no more.
Last time I called out the "T" it crashed & burned w/the OP running away in flames.

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
BIG ED is offline  
post #617 of 618 Old 08-29-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster returns View Post

My BD copy of Baraka (viewed on a Panny plasma, no sharpening) is definitely soft, as compared to recent releases, and my own CANON DSLR footage is much sharper.

It better be. Your Canon DSLR pulls the video images off the sensor with no anti-aliasing. That's as sharp as HD video can get at the cost of color moire and aliasing.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
scowl is offline  
post #618 of 618 Old 08-29-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Oliver Klohs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Posts: 2,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

Baraka (and a dozen other 70mm movies) coming to the Seattle cinerama together with two Cinerama classics:

3-Strip Cinerama films:
This Is Cinerama
How The West Was Won

70mm films:
The Sound Of Music
Lawrence of Arabia
Cleopatra
2001: A Space Odyssey
My Fair Lady
West Side Story
Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Playtime
Baraka
South Pacific
Tron
Lord Jim

Several of these have already been released on Blu-Ray and I think it will also be interesting to compare their look to the Blu-Ray versions.

http://seattlecinerama.com/coming-soon/
http://www.in70mm.com/news/2011/festival/index.htm
Oliver Klohs is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off