Band of Brothers DVD, HBO MPEG-2, HD DVD & Blu-ray comparison *PIX* - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 257 Old 11-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well said Dave. I also agree with some of the others who say there are degrees to all of this DNR crap, and BOB is not on the same level of a Patton, or even close. So I will hold onto my HD-DVDs, but I also bought the blu-ray set for $40 from DD. If I did not have the HD-DVDs, I would not have even thought twice about picking up the blu-ray set based on the screencaps in this thread. Short of an absolute crap release, which I don't think this is at all, owning BOB (my favorite movie, series, etc.) in HD would be the priority.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 257 Old 11-21-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

Gee i'm only 39 and my memory is fading.

It's only gets worse, brother!

(btw, I am 1/4 scottish)
post #183 of 257 Old 11-21-2008, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey r View Post

Well said Dave. I also agree with some of the others who say there are degrees to all of this DNR crap, and BOB is not on the same level of a Patton, or even close. So I will hold onto my HD-DVDs, but I also bought the blu-ray set for $40 from DD. If I did not have the HD-DVDs, I would not have even thought twice about picking up the blu-ray set based on the screencaps in this thread. Short of an absolute crap release, which I don't think this is at all, owning BOB (my favorite movie, series, etc.) in HD would be the priority.

I still have my Hd-a2, but it is boxed up and I can't GIVE the thing away. (Well, I could but won't) With the DDD sale, I guess BB on BD is worth it, yes? I don't want to spend $100 more just for a few shots. It IS damned annoying though and SHOULD be rightly pointed out. The Thing is a damn shame. They actually chopped up the very cool doc and reduced it to a small PIP thing as well...

post #184 of 257 Old 11-21-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

I still have my Hd-a2, but it is boxed up and I can't GIVE the thing away. (Well, I could but won't) With the DDD sale, I guess BB on BD is worth it, yes? I don't want to spend $100 more just for a few shots. It IS damned annoying though and SHOULD be rightly pointed out. The Thing is a damn shame. They actually chopped up the very cool doc and reduced it to a small PIP thing as well...

Great posts!

My HD-A2 is still hooked up for the main purpose of watching The Thing. I die a little inside when I think of what Universal could have accomplished with it on Blu.
Quote:

(btw, I am 1/4 scottish)

All right, another fellow Scot!

"Out of the mists of history, the legendary Esquilax! A horse with the head of a rabbit... and the body... of a rabbit."
post #185 of 257 Old 11-23-2008, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous View Post

well, I already addressed that in my post....

still, people are saying this set isn't worth owning simply because it doesn't meet some PQ standard. ...I'm simply saying that's hogwash.

You expect criticism of PQ here--that's the point. but is it a killer when considering picking up this title? No way.

Here, here! I had the original SD-DVD set and it was, for SD, very good. I've never seen the HD-DVD version and frankly, I don't care. I've kept my Tosh HD-A2 for the my small collection of HD discs but, lets face it, the format is dead. The Blu-ray version of BOB is, in terms of both PQ and Audio presence, far better than the SD set. I watched the first episode last night and the picture was sharp, bright and very much "alive" to my eyes. The DTS audio was outstanding. I even replayed it with the commentary thumbnails (although they should have placed in the bottom right corner) and enjoyed it just as much. For $55, this set was a steal as far as I'm concerned and let's not forget what this production was really about. Everyone has their own standards for PQ but there seems to be some real over thinking happening in regard to this issue.
post #186 of 257 Old 11-23-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Here's an alternative (wacko) explanation- it's a possibility that grain was added on the version considered to be "non-dnr" in order to make the entire production look uniform while the version considered to be dnr'd may simply be what the production was with moderate grain throughout, but with instances of inconsistency.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #187 of 257 Old 11-24-2008, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Here's an alternative (wacko) explanation- it's a possibility that grain was added on the version considered to be "non-dnr" in order to make the entire production look uniform while the version considered to be dnr'd may simply be what the production was with moderate grain throughout, but with instances of inconsistency.

Possible? But the Blu-ray version lack some fine details compared to the HBO and HD DVD version.

BTW I will have more screenshots its just that I need 4 computers running on my network for this title and I have been checking out XBOX 360 NXE Netflix lately Finishing up 30 Rock
post #188 of 257 Old 11-24-2008, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrXym View Post

This thread is stupid. The DNR in the shots is so slight that it wouldn't hurt normal viewing. It's barely noticeable even in the still closeups. Certainly nothing to cancel an order for. Now the DNR in Patton or Zulu are reasons to cancel an order, but not this.

I don't recommend "cancelling" order from my review But . . . .

If you already have the HD DVD version the decision to double dip could be easier. Or not.

There is probably 5 people who bought the HD DVD set. So its just doesn't make sense to say buy the out-of-print-HD DVD-that-is-now-selling-1 million dollars-because-it-is-better-in-PQ-and-skip-the-Blu-ray.

Zulu Blu-ray oh man that is one freak of nature
post #189 of 257 Old 11-24-2008, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules View Post

My immediate thoughts are whether the reviewer has had opportunity to access the HD-DVD version of BOB. Had he been able to do the comparisons which Xylon has enabled us to do he might not have been quite so happy - though no doubt the Blu-ray version of BOB is still a fine presentation in its own right. It's just that it isn't perhaps the best ever presentation. No doubt most audiences aren't going to notice an application of DNR, but then most audiences don't own projectors and huge screens. Debates like this are part of the fun of Home Cinema!

Good . . . no . . . Great post!
post #190 of 257 Old 11-24-2008, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think there are a couple of reasons that some get their donuts all knotted up over this title.
One: There IS another HD release that many believe is more faithful. Already released. (Granted as an import and on a format many who even bought in are abandoning)
Two: Why someone would feel compelled to do ANYTHING to the PQ DNR-wise on this title which is SUPPOSED to look gritty, grainy as a stylistic choice. Who made this call? Why? Even if it IS only in a handful of scenes, it does set a scary precedent. Universal released "THE THING" on BD and basically DNR'd the WHOLE film. The HDdvd, (which I DO own) looks better to most. So who's to say when and to what "grainy" film it will happen to again? We've seen "Patton", "Dark City"...
Will "Saving Private Ryan" have a similar "tweaking"...? I watched it in HD (the real HD, not that stretch-o-vision thing they sometimes do) on TNT last week and it looked TOTALLY smoothed over and just wrong.
So I think that's why some ARE making a big noise even if it seems like it is only in a handful of scenes now.

(or, everyone here is just whackapoodles...)

When is the next showing of Saving Private Ryan on TNT? I have I think two previously aired version the ABC 720p and the 1080i from TNT a looooong time ago.
post #191 of 257 Old 11-24-2008, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Why someone would feel compelled to do ANYTHING to the PQ DNR-wise on this title which is SUPPOSED to look gritty, grainy as a stylistic choice. Who made this call?

Absolutely, my HD-DVD set is very gritty and grainy. Perhaps therefore it says all that needs to be said about the use of DNR on the Blu-ray version that in the course of giving it 18/20 for PQ Bill Hunt comments: "light grain [is] visible". Light grain?!!
post #192 of 257 Old 11-24-2008, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I have to admit with all the past talk on DNR, I never got too worked up about it. Since this title has been released I'm now in the total anti DNR camp! While there are far more drastic and serious examples of DNR ( Patton), this one is probably one of my all time favs, so it brought this argument really home to me. Thanks Xylon for all your film screen shots!
post #193 of 257 Old 11-27-2008, 08:04 AM

Thanks to Xylon for the excellent screen shots. I already have the HD DVD and was considering triple dipping to the Blu-ray version for convenience (no japanese menus etc) since I love the series so much, and rewatch it regularly, but now I will just stick with HD DVD.

Allow me a little analogy to explain whether "a little DNR" is important:

Suppose this was a site for exquisite wine. If you were able to buy a 1995 Cheval Blanc (a 4000 dollar wine) and a particular vendor added 2 milliliters of Coca Cola to it in order to "sweeten it", I am sure noone would argue that "2 milliliters isn't that much". The real point would be - Why is Coca Cola being mixed into the fine wine to begin with?

Since this is the AVScience forum where everyone strives for the best presentation as close to the original product as possible, I think this is the perfect place to have such a discussion - in a respectful tone of course. The point is not that everyone should boycott the Blu-ray version which, but that the studios should stop DNR filtering of their releases. If someone likes smoothing, they can do it in their own equipment, instead of having it in the source material.

Hans Henrik

Ps. In keeping with the board being about movies, my analogy used a particular wine from a movie about wines
post #194 of 257 Old 11-27-2008, 08:36 AM

Is there any discernible difference in audio quality between the HD-DVD & BD releases?
post #195 of 257 Old 11-27-2008, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie angel View Post

Is there any discernible difference in audio quality between the HD-DVD & BD releases?

Nope. Both are awesome.
post #196 of 257 Old 11-27-2008, 09:52 AM

Excellent, many thanks.
post #197 of 257 Old 11-29-2008, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone else noticed the framing error on "Currahee"? It appears around the 1:08:25 mark. I had a 5 inch "bar" on the right hand side of my screen (106" 16x9). It appears for about 15 seconds and this disappears.
post #198 of 257 Old 11-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post

Has anyone else noticed the framing error on "Currahee"? It appears around the 1:08:25 mark. I had a 5 inch "bar" on the right hand side of my screen (106" 16x9). It appears for about 15 seconds and this disappears.

just watched it yesterday and didn't notice anything. did you watch it again and reproduce the error?

- Chris
post #199 of 257 Old 11-29-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnathra View Post

just watched it yesterday and didn't notice anything. did you watch it again and reproduce the error?

I did rewind and the framing error was still there. So the error was reproduced on my setup. It is hard to notice if you are not paying attention.

Anyone else? The time stamp is arount the 1:08:20-35 mark. They are in the airplane flying to normandy.
post #200 of 257 Old 11-29-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie angel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Nope. Both are awesome.

This is wrong. HD DVD has lossy dts HD HR whereas Blu-ray features lossless dts HD MA.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #201 of 257 Old 11-29-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

This is wrong. HD DVD has lossy dts HD HR whereas Blu-ray features lossless dts HD MA.

dis·cern·i·ble (di sûrÆnà bÃl, -zûrÆ-), adj.
capable of being discerned; distinguishable.

I fail to see how your comment is relevant to the question that was asked. I suppose you could claim to be able to hear a difference, but that would place you in a very small and questionable minority. Having actually done an A-B comparison, I can discern no difference in AQ.
post #202 of 257 Old 11-29-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:

I fail to see how your comment is relevant to the question that was asked. I suppose you could claim to be able to hear a difference, but that would place you in a very small and questionable minority. Having actually done an A-B comparison, I can discern no difference in AQ.

My thoughts exactly....that topic just seems to step on the toes of a lot of people who claim that "lossless audio" is one of the greatest things ever, even though it can't be distinguished from "lossy" audio. The answer to the question asked is that there is NO discernable difference in audio quality.
post #203 of 257 Old 11-29-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 93
rdgrimes,
Just curious, I have the HD DVD set.
Is the sound design any different on the BD set?
The HD DVD is kinda front heavy with occasional surround cues.
BTW, I'm re-watching this over the long weekend, the 4th time through it's still great.

Costco has a $10 off coupon for the BD set, $44.99.
The coupon is in their magazine.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #204 of 257 Old 11-29-2008, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Whatever flaws it might have, I'm definitely enjoying Band of Brothers on Blu-ray. The picture quality is great on my 92" front projection setup. I'm definitely still seeing grain and I haven't noticed any DNR nastiness in motion yet (whereas titles like Patton or Dark City make me want to puke). However, I've only watched the first three episodes.

This package is an incredible deal at $50 as far as I'm concerned.
post #205 of 257 Old 11-29-2008, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

rdgrimes,
Just curious, I have the HD DVD set.
Is the sound design any different on the BD set?
The HD DVD is kinda front heavy with occasional surround cues.
BTW, I'm re-watching this over the long weekend, the 4th time through it's still great.

Costco has a $10 off coupon for the BD set, $44.99.
The coupon is in their magazine.

I cannot tell any difference in the mix. My assumption is that they are simply different encodes of the same master. I don't hear any "heavy in the front" at all, rather an extremely well balanced presentation with sounds where they should be. Dialog is well-anchored in the front, as it should be IMHO.
post #206 of 257 Old 11-29-2008, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I can't tell a difference in the audio between the HD-DVD and the Blu Ray, both sound excellent. I'm bitstreaming both to my Onkyo 805 receiver using my 7.1 Polk speakers setup.
post #207 of 257 Old 11-30-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #208 of 257 Old 11-30-2008, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #209 of 257 Old 11-30-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's probably as discernible to some as the PQ difference between the two.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #210 of 257 Old 11-30-2008, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

So with all of this "moaning" about a slight passing of DNR, no one has noticed the framing error on "Currahee"?
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page