Band of Brothers DVD, HBO MPEG-2, HD DVD & Blu-ray comparison *PIX* - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 257 Old 04-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn View Post

Well if you happen to have the HD DVDs also and thought about dumping them on Ebay, don't bother, looks like HBO is blocking resales and Ebay is cancelling the auctions. I've never seen anything like this before and thought others might get a kick out of it.

Well, outside of the US this is nothing unusual. Here in Europe, the distributors pressure Ebay to block auctions of imported discs (e.g. R1 DVDs from the US), even though selling them privately is perfectly legal. But if in doubt, Ebay always sides with the corporations (that obviously want to keep competition out of their region) against private sellers. I guess in the US you don't see it that often because importing discs is less prevalent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 257 Old 08-04-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

Well, outside of the US this is nothing unusual. Here in Europe, the distributors pressure Ebay to block auctions of imported discs (e.g. R1 DVDs from the US), even though selling them privately is perfectly legal. But if in doubt, Ebay always sides with the corporations (that obviously want to keep competition out of their region) against private sellers. I guess in the US you don't see it that often because importing discs is less prevalent.

There are lots of imports available in the U.S. on Ebay. HBO singled out this release for some reason. My guess is that they are simply embarrassed that the HD DVD is considered superior and want to bury it. Not allowing sales of the set on Ebay is a pretty effective way to do this. Either way sour grapes on the part of HBO, and if they didn't want this problem, maybe they should not have DNRd their release. Nevertheless, once in the hands of collectors, I doubt too many people will want to sell their HD DVD sets considering it is probably the #1 coveted title on the format.
post #243 of 257 Old 08-09-2009, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
People paying almost $200 for a complete HD DVD set may adversely affect the overall sales of the blu-ray release

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #244 of 257 Old 08-18-2009, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looks like a Japanese Blu-ray release is coming in October:
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/n...18_309075.html

Not sure if it will have the same encode as the Jp HD DVDs, but it's AVC so it won't be the same as the US Blu-rays at any rate.
post #245 of 257 Old 09-01-2009, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Amazon.co.jp page for the JPN version is up: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-la...language=en_JP

It's by the same company that released the HD DVDs (Amuse Soft), so my hopes are high for no DNR.
post #246 of 257 Old 09-01-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Nice, though I have a feeling there'll be a lot less people importing the Blu-ray set than did the HD DVDs.
post #247 of 257 Old 09-01-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I still kept my HD-DVD copies as well as the US Blu Ray release. For me, I might just transfer the HD-DVD copies to Blu Ray if my HD-DVD players bite the dust in the distant future.
post #248 of 257 Old 09-07-2009, 11:42 AM

As a post production professional currently working on The Pacific, it is with interest I read these speculative comments about HBO's mastering.
In my 25 years of working in post, it would be hard to find a more discerning quality control department than the professionals at HBO.
They are very, very thorough.
On my home display I can see what evidently is a repositioned shot in Part 1 of BoB at the previously mentioned time code. It is surprising that this apparently slipped by the Q.C. I would like to look at that scene at the office on a professional display with the gamma bumped-up.
As far as grain reduction, there are times when it is selectively applied to scenes that have blow-ups to reduce what can be excessive grain as a result of the enlargement of the shot. Scenes are "blown-up" beyond their native resolution fairly regularly in post so as to re-frame for composition, remove an unwanted boom mic, etc. etc. When subsequent grain reduction is applied, the scene-to-scene grain continuity can be noticed.
As far as the "DNR" comments go, I can't intelligently reply as I am not close with the staff who mastered BoB. I have watched 4 parts of BoB on Blu-ray and feel it is an excellent transfer. I would need to see it from HDDVD to make comparisons on grain reduction.
With respect to the grain issue, I have been made aware that excessive grain can be a technical headache with disc encoding, particularly Blu-Ray.
post #249 of 257 Old 09-07-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelMixer View Post

As a post production professional currently working on The Pacific, it is with interest I read these speculative comments about HBO's mastering.
In my 25 years of working in post, it would be hard to find a more discerning quality control department than the professionals at HBO.
On my home display I can see what evidently is a repositioned shot in Part 1 of BoB at the previously mentioned time code. It is surprising that this apparently slipped by the Q.C. I would like to look at that scene at the office on a professional display with the gamma bumped-up.
As far as grain reduction, there are times when it is selectively applied to scenes that have blow-ups to reduce what can be excessive grain as a result of the enlargement of the shot. Scenes are "blown-up" beyond their native resolution fairly regularly in post so as to re-frame for composition, remove an unwanted boom mic, etc. etc. When subsequent grain reduction is applied, the scene-to-scene grain continuity can be noticed.
As far as the "DNR" comments go, I can't intelligently reply as I am not close with the staff who mastered BoB. I have watched 4 parts of BoB on Blu-ray and feel it is an excellent transfer. I would need to see it from HDDVD to make comparisons on grain reduction.
With respect to the grain issue, I have been made aware that excessive grain can be a technical headache with disc encoding, particularly Blu-Ray.

Great information, and thanks!

Having watched and compared both the Japan HD-DVD release and the USA BD release, I can say that it's obvious there is a slight color shift and some softening in the BD release. I don't consider it to be either intrusive or bothersome in the least, but it was also not an improvement and could have been avoided. I'd add that obviously the 2 releases were viewed on different players, but on the same display with the same setup.
post #250 of 257 Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 AM

Liked: 15
I just picked up a mint HD-DVD set of BoB on eBay for $103.07 I still prefer HD-DVD when video quality is better than the Blu-ray release. Sure I'll probably spend more, but I'm a collector.
post #251 of 257 Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitwize View Post

I just picked up a mint HD-DVD set of BoB on eBay for $103.07 I still prefer HD-DVD when video quality is better than the Blu-ray release. Sure I'll probably spend more, but I'm a collector.

I paid big bucks for the Japanese HD DVD set. Almost as much per disk as I later paid for the entire Bluray set. It's not drastically better, but I agree the HD DVD version is better.
post #252 of 257 Old 01-12-2010, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

Amazon.co.jp page for the JPN version is up: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-la...language=en_JP

It's by the same company that released the HD DVDs (Amuse Soft), so my hopes are high for no DNR.

Anyone pick up this edition or know anything about it? Presumably it would be similar to the HD DVD set and less filtered than the HBO Blu-rays.

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #253 of 257 Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 PM

I'm new to Blu-ray and recently purchased this version of BOD: http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-...3357126&sr=8-2

I can't get this to play on my LG BD390; however, is this a good screen version of BOD?
post #254 of 257 Old 01-12-2010, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That's the domestic US release and IMHO looks exceptional.
post #255 of 257 Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
just make sure 'The Pacific' Blu-Ray is on target. definitely buying the set already

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelMixer View Post

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
post #256 of 257 Old 03-01-2011, 12:18 AM

ALthough this thread has long since retired: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...f_brothers_bd1 .
post #257 of 257 Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mennham View Post

ALthough this thread has long since retired: http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...f_brothers_bd1 .

>>>
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20076779
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page