"Digital Copy" master list? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 11-15-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love the "Digital Copy" and want to support the technology as much as possible. I was sort of a downer at first until I discovered that the digital copies could be streamed via Windows Media Connect! I'm loading up my Windows Home Server with all of them I can get. So where is the AVSF-endorsed list of them all?

My only wish is that you could just copy the Blu-Ray as a whole just as easily... ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 11-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a list of these myself. It's nice to load up that digital copy on a device when you are sitting on a plane.
post #3 of 39 Old 11-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quick question about this...
can you download mulitple copies on different computers? I ask because I stupidly let my friend borrow Hulk to DL on his comp and I haven't done it yet! I figure that I should still be able to since we have different email addys no?
post #4 of 39 Old 11-15-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighdefJoe View Post

can you download mulitple copies on different computers? I ask because I stupidly let my friend borrow Hulk to DL on his comp and I haven't done it yet! I figure that I should still be able to since we have different email addys no?

I don't think so...I'm pretty sure you can only use the code once. Sorry buddy.
post #5 of 39 Old 11-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

i just bought dark city and why isn't that the digital copy of it is only window media compatible when all the others i have is apple/ipod compatible??

sorry for the slight hijack

"I believe, that whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you....Stranger" - Joker
post #6 of 39 Old 11-15-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Hey, I have a zune and even the WMP compatible ones won't let me put it on my zune...
post #7 of 39 Old 11-15-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't seen a list on AVS.

There is one on blu-ray.com and there is one on the stats site:

http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/St...&DigitalCopy=Y
post #8 of 39 Old 11-15-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Also, iPod owners beware that early Warner and Sony Digital Copy titles do not support iPod.
post #9 of 39 Old 11-15-2008, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighdefJoe View Post

you can call and have the code reset. Give some kind of story that you had to reformat your PC. I know LionsGate ties theirs to an email and support is web-only, but Fox doesn't and they have a human helper who was more than happy to reset my codes when windows messed up my DRM.

Funny thing is the original PC will never de-authorize itself. I guess the DRM's broken that way in our favor.

The itunes/apple license is the same as other itunes content...up to 5 playback devices I think. Windows is ONE PC and ONE portable device only.
post #10 of 39 Old 11-15-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

I love the "Digital Copy" and want to support the technology as much as possible. I was sort of a downer at first until I discovered that the digital copies could be streamed via Windows Media Connect! I'm loading up my Windows Home Server with all of them I can get. So where is the AVSF-endorsed list of them all?

My only wish is that you could just copy the Blu-Ray as a whole just as easily... ;-)

Because many folks have quickly discovered that "Digital Copies" are scams and rip offs of the most annoying kind. Here are a few pointers.

KvE's list of why Digital Copies are Asinine:

1. The files have an 'expiration date'.
-Seriously, are those lovely digital copies going to go stale or spoil like milk if not consumed ASAP.

2. Limited downloads, to One.

3. Limited copies to One.

4. Far too frequently limited support for various personal media devices.
-The packaging is rarely clear what the file format is and what players are supported, if at all.

5. You do not own it, you are permitted a license to view it under specific conditions.

6. Even though the packaging claims it includes a digital copy, half the time you still have to download it and pay for it.
-WTH, I just spent five bucks more whether I wanted to or not to have the privilege to rent my digital copy. Fudge that!

7. The quality can be worse than a personal rip from dvd.

8. Now this should have been number one but, D R M !!! >:{
-Oh wait it is, points 1 through 7, funny how that is.

I love what Disney did on the Sleeping Beauty BR and that was including a nice DVD version of the film.
>Aside from the Disney premium price tag and 25 minutes of trailers. OOOhhh AAaahhh "Disney Skip 2 Da Menu DVD" -Special Feature folks!

That is how it should be done, include a DVD version of the flick along with the newly acquired expensive BR disc. Let the customer use it as a travel version or a Frisbee.
Digital Copy, worthless. You can't even nuke it in the micro-wave. >;{

Best Regards
KvE

PS Make a Master list of titles to avoid that force worthless DCs down our throats. ;}~

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #11 of 39 Old 11-15-2008, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Universal's Hellboy 2 has DC and can only be put onto a pc. What a waste I can't move it to my PSP or put it on my PS3 or share as a network stream.
post #12 of 39 Old 11-15-2008, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Universal's Hellboy 2 has DC and can only be put onto a pc. What a waste I can't move it to my PSP or put it on my PS3 or share as a network stream.

If you can't put it on an iPhone? Then it's not a digital copy.
But I think those of use with iPhones and iTunes like the novelty of Digital Copies.

To be honest with the Warner WMV only digital copies and no iTunes, show me why people would hate digital copies.

I posted here somewhere about tying the digital copy to your iTunes account way before the studios implemented it. Which I think is completely necessary.
The studios totally stole pain my pain free digital copy idea.

Expiration thing still doesn't make sense. You cant redeem the code after that time? Or your tiny video vaporizes? Either way the expiration date is idiotic.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #13 of 39 Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

But I think those of use with iPhones and iTunes like the novelty of Digital Copies.

To be honest with the Warner WMV only digital copies and no iTunes, show me why people would hate digital copies.

I posted here somewhere about tying the digital copy to your iTunes account way before the studios implemented it. Which I think is completely necessary.
The studios totally stole pain my pain free digital copy idea.

Expiration thing still doesn't make sense. You cant redeem the code after that time? Or your tiny video vaporizes? Either way the expiration date is idiotic.

I agree the whole process is a mess. I am glad I downloaded the Hellboy 2 to my laptop instead of my HTPC. I then thought about sending the WMV file to my shared videos for networking, but it seemed like it was going to move and not simply copy the file. Then who knows if it will even work. Of course DRM stops all of us from the ideal which is complete unfettered sharing to ALL our devices. Not that it will happen anytime soon, but with regards to DRM...

http://tech.msn.com/products/article...2391140&page=5
post #14 of 39 Old 11-16-2008, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
digital copy also in Hancock and Clone wars too but I don't want this.
post #15 of 39 Old 11-16-2008, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I believe the code just has to be redeemed within a year. After it's redeemed, the movie shouldn't expire. I think they're trying to get people to buy copies sooner so they'll get to use the codes, similar to how Disney's vault strategy encourages buying the titles while they're still available.

Personally, I have no use for digital copies. I didn't buy an HD version of the film in order to turn around and watch it on a tiny screen. I'm even one of these rubes that doesn't have an iPhone. That said, I don't have a problem with them being there as long as they don't raise the price, so I hope Disney continues to make them optional. Luckily I was able to get The Nightmare Before Christmas during a sale from Amazon, but I had to wait for it.
post #16 of 39 Old 11-16-2008, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Some stores have DC for less. I plan to stop getting if I can get the disc for less.
post #17 of 39 Old 11-16-2008, 04:52 PM

anyone try to burn one to a DVD-R ???

my son has a portable DVD player that he loves to watch, but if I get say Wall-E or Kung Fu Panda or Clone Wars on Blu he won't be able to watch them on the portable which is great when we go on a trip.
post #18 of 39 Old 11-16-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

I'm copying Hellboy II to my iPhone as I write this.

I don't care for the "novelty". I like to be able to watch the movie I want when, as already mentioned, I'm on a plane for example. I'm going to Paris tomorrow night, and guess what, I'll be watching Hellboy II...
post #19 of 39 Old 11-17-2008, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Because the Digital Copy COMES WITH the Blu-Ray that I purchased, I see it as a bonus - I really don't care about the restrictions. If I were buying ONLY the Digital Copy, I would whole-heartedly care about the DRM. As it stands, I have the Blu-Ray version for my main theater and I can stream the DC to all the other TVs in the house via Windows Media Connect. Best of both worlds, IMO.
post #20 of 39 Old 11-17-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Or they could simply include a DVD, bonus, copy instead of the DC and that would provide greater flexibility and utility.
One can use a DVD in just about anything with a drive these days and you can use illegal software to make your Legal Backup onto a media server with better V/A quality than the DC. Heck you can even find ways to easily convert the DVD file into a nice and friendly file format for any PMD.

Of course if you like DC that's cool, I'm just bringing up other options that can afford greater range of choices.

Best Regards
KvE

PS As I mentioned in my prior post, Disney including a DVD version of SB with BR set is at least for me is far more useful than a DC file has proven to be.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #21 of 39 Old 11-17-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I agree that a DVD is more useful than a digital copy disc. However, I bought a blu ray so I can watch it in HD. I don't watch movies on tiny little screens or on my computer. I'd rather have neither, just gimme the blu ray. That being said, as long as I am not paying extra, I really don't care.

post #22 of 39 Old 11-17-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvinny View Post

anyone try to burn one to a DVD-R ???

my son has a portable DVD player that he loves to watch, but if I get say Wall-E or Kung Fu Panda or Clone Wars on Blu he won't be able to watch them on the portable which is great when we go on a trip.

Hey I came to this thread to ask the same question (but you beat me to it!)

Anyway, anyone know if a digital copy (specifically Wall-E in my case) can be burned to a DVD?

(Update: From what I've researched after posting this question, the answer is No. Correct me if I'm wrong.. Thanks)
post #23 of 39 Old 11-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

I guess I need someone to explain why this "digital copy" thing is a bonus. Seems to me the movie you are buying is already a digital copy, and since I paid for it I should be able to do whatever with it, except for distribution. So it seems to me they are taking something you should have had in the first place, and making it a "feature". Am I confused?

For example, I buy a book, and as a bonus they include a copy of the book. This one you can read on the airplane? WTH?
post #24 of 39 Old 11-17-2008, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Seems to be a limitation of the WMV version. The iTunes/mac version has the normal restrictions.
post #25 of 39 Old 11-18-2008, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

How come no one talks about the quality of the digital copy? I'd like to see some screen grabs.
post #26 of 39 Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez View Post

That being said, as long as I am not paying extra, I really don't care.

Nothing is free. You are paying extra for it one way or another.

Since there's not one overall DRM format that works on all devices and even these digital copies are all different about their restrictions, this whole thing is a mess and I really wish resources weren't wasted on it.

If they actually would have went though a proper system with a centralized login for all movies studios with several different versions available for any device that supports some sort of video DRM that allowed you to re-authorize computers without having to call someone, then it might be worth something.
post #27 of 39 Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I´ve iTunes mine, and can copy them onto all (5) ipods in our family. Works like a charm.

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #28 of 39 Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrader View Post

For example, I buy a book, and as a bonus they include a copy of the book. This one you can read on the airplane? WTH?

Actually, there it would make sense. You'd get a nice hardcover book for home, and an ebook version for on the go.
post #29 of 39 Old 11-18-2008, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I love it when they include a digital copy because I just download it to my HTPC to my movie collection and watch it on my sharp 52" lcd! We personally enjoy it more on bluray but if my kids or wife want to watch them anytime, they are ready available. The only question I have is how come the copy doesn't come with a cover? I have vista media center but I don't know how to add a cover to my digital copy movies? I tried copying a cover jpeg file and dropping in it in the movie but it doesn's allow me. Or if I could add them to my movies plug in, in vista media center; would be even better.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #30 of 39 Old 11-22-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez View Post

I agree that a DVD is more useful than a digital copy disc. However, I bought a blu ray so I can watch it in HD. I don't watch movies on tiny little screens or on my computer. I'd rather have neither, just gimme the blu ray. That being said, as long as I am not paying extra, I really don't care.

yeah, so long as we don't pay more.

i saw someone claim that the avg discs with a digital copy is $5-10 more though, so I wonder.

anyway, i have less than no use for them. Why do I want to waste my time watching a movie on crappy worse than DVD quality when I bought the bluray to watch it as it should be watched? There are so many movies to watch as it is. If I'm not near a fantastic audio system and decent screen, IMO, why waste time watching a movie when could be doing something else optimally instead of watching a movie un-optimally.

and i hope it isn't a first foray into eventually trying to move the hi-def materail into nasty digital copy format, ugh!!!!!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page