AVS Forum banner

Crud for sale

2K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  SirDrexl 
#1 ·
Alright, is it just me or do the announced titles for early 09 seem to be quite a few notches below the scope and quality we've been seeing at the end of this summer through fall?

I know this perception is based on my personal taste, but I'm not seeing a lot of top-tier classics like THE GODFATHER TRILOGY, or fun genre stuff like PLANET OF THE APES, POLTERGEIST, and NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS.

What I am seeing is a lot tired sequels to franchises that have worn out their welcome, and lame flash-in-the-pan comedies.

I'd think the studios would like to give potential new Blu-ray owners some better stuff to feed their new players.

#3 ·
Not at all. Some of the most exciting titles (catalog wise) have already been announced for 2009. I already have both French Connections, Amadeus, Taxi Driver.

I'm a big horror fan as well, so I have Friday the 13th, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage and Dead and Buried pre-ordered.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/15159675

Alright, is it just me or do the announced titles for early 09 seem to be quite a few notches below the scope and quality we've been seeing at the end of this summer through fall?

I know this perception is based on my personal taste, but I'm not seeing a lot of top-tier classics like THE GODFATHER TRILOGY, or fun genre stuff like PLANET OF THE APES, POLTERGEIST, and NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS.

What I am seeing is a lot tired sequels to franchises that have worn out their welcome, and lame flash-in-the-pan comedies.

I'd think the studios would like to give potential new Blu-ray owners some better stuff to feed their new players.

Kind of surprising since the early part of every year is always the time that the studios try to put out their best movies on video.

After all it surely is the biggest sales period of the whole year.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby /forum/post/15159758

Um.. Ben-hur (likely), King Kong, The lord of the rings (not extended editions), the Pink Panther (original), Being There, Amadeus, The French connection 1&2, Quo Vadis, Pinocchio, Woodstock, Braveheart, Taxi Driver...

think you get the point

Sure, but some of those have no dates, and the ones that do were set months ago. I've been hitting the HD Digest list every day since the end of October and seeing a lot of third-tier stuff.

I maintain a calender of classic-Hollywood, classic-horror, and arthouse releases, and I just haven't been adding much to it lately.

By the way, who wants the shorty LOTR films when there's no earthly reason to no include both? It's total BS to set us up for a double-dip on those IMO.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk /forum/post/15160858

By the way, who wants the shorty LOTR films when there's no earthly reason to no include both? It's total BS to set us up for a double-dip on those IMO.

Don't fall for it. I for one will be waiting until the EE LOTR films are released.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNEEDOO /forum/post/15160895

Don't fall for it. I for one will be waiting until the EE LOTR films are released.

Yep. No way in heck am I double-dipping on that one.....noooooo way!

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNEEDOO /forum/post/15160895

Oh God no, no edge enhanced LotR films please!

#15 ·
I have to disagree. I think we're getting some great titles, especially from Fox/MGM and Warner. The slate looks to be better than what I remember from early 2007 or 2008.

I would bet that the frustration is over the lack of action and sci-fi movies, along with big titles (maybe with the Bourne collection as an exception). We typically don't get huge titles in the early part of the year; I mean, you can't expect LOTR or The Wizard of Oz to be released in January or February. As for the kinds of movies that are coming out, I'm very glad they're deciding to release some variety instead of the usual stuff.

BTW, some of the titles may have been chosen as Oscar tie-ins, so they may drop off as the year goes on.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby /forum/post/15159758

Um.. Ben-hur (likely), King Kong, The lord of the rings (not extended editions), the Pink Panther (original), Being There, Amadeus, The French connection 1&2, Quo Vadis, Pinocchio, Woodstock, Braveheart, Taxi Driver...

think you get the point

Sure, theres a few there, but many of those are totally skippable. The problem with titles like BenHur is that they arent going to age well and the cheese factor will be very high. Many of those old grand epics just dont work anymore. In fairness, you cant expect them too, but either way, time isnt generally very kind to older flicks that require good special effects and production values to make it believable.

Just saying....

#17 ·
For me, I'm excited to get Raging Bull, Ronin (finally), Amadeus, Pretty Woman, The French Connection and, of course, Pinocchio. There's a few more recent hits like the Bourne Trilogy (though I already own them on HD DVD), Election, King Kong, A History Of Violence, Sideways, Eden Lake, and Pineapple Express that excite me. Otherwise, it's mostly dreck. And thank God for that, 'cause my wallet's drained.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey /forum/post/15162779

Sure, theres a few there, but many of those are totally skippable. The problem with titles like BenHur is that they arent going to age well and the cheese factor will be very high. Many of those old grand epics just dont work anymore. In fairness, you cant expect them too, but either way, time isnt generally very kind to older flicks that require good special effects and production values to make it believable.

Just saying....

I didn't know Ben Hur was on deck. Are they doing a resto job? If so that will get the film connoisseurs chomping at the bit. When you hear people toss around the phrase "They just don't make them like that any more", it usually doesn't mean much . Ben Hur is one of these films where they really don't make them like that any more. You may see it as cheese but there are lots of people that won't.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain /forum/post/15163317

I didn't know Ben Hur was on deck. Are they doing a resto job? If so that will get the film connoisseurs chomping at the bit. When you hear people toss around the phrase "They just don't make them like that any more", it usually doesn't mean much . Ben Hur is one of these films where they really don't make them like that any more. You may see it as cheese but there are lots of people that won't.

BEN HUR, WIZARD OF OZ, & LOTR, have all been tossed around without dates. I have no doubt the HD masters on these and 100's of others are ready to roll, I'm speaking only of stuff with a firm commitment.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut /forum/post/15166063

I think what he meant by EE was Extended Edition not Edge Enhanced.

And, I think what he meant by the
was that his post was a joke.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain /forum/post/15163317

I didn't know Ben Hur was on deck. Are they doing a resto job? ...

I didn't know this either. Definately one to look forward to. I wish they did a restoration of The Ten Commandments for a future blu-ray release.

Jorge

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey /forum/post/15186706

Will this be a widescreen film though? Isnt it 4:3 original aspect ratio???

Hopefully it will be OAR, no matter what it was. The Laserdisc and VHS were left intact. The DVD was 1.78:1 cropped. Hopefully that won't be the case with the Blu-ray......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.