sb1
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

But they can still enjoy the movie, even LOVE the PQ and not buy it is what I'm saying.

Dave, on that point, I agree 100%.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:

But they can still enjoy the movie, even LOVE the PQ and not buy it is what I'm saying.

Agreed 100%.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #183 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WooHoo!

Agreement here!

Party-time!

Now if my daughter were MUCH older and a Bat-fan, I would've bought it for her in a second.
Even if it looked as bad as "Gangs Of New York"
post #184 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 02:55 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even if it looked as bad as "Gangs Of New York"

Now, wait a minute, Dave. Are you saying Gangs of New York didn't look good on Blu-ray?

Ok, nevermind...........I can't even joke about that one.

Stephen.

post #185 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie76 View Post

I didn´t even notice the EE.
Guess I was was so into the story that I didn´t care/look for it
I give the PQ 4,5 out of 5!

Still waiting for those DVD screen as comparision

But seriously guys, no more "Dark Knight PQ sucks!!" threads after this one please.
Sound like a broken record by now

The world isn´t coming to an end

Why even get the Blu-ray then? Why not just go DVD if "story" is good enough to not notice picture quality defects?

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #186 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Exactly! I've just shown this to my older brother (Who has no care for BD) and he loved it, I asked him what he thought about the PQ and he was blown away. And on another note when it gets released officially I bet there will be alot of PS3 owners who buy this on BD and will enjoy it just as much as he did.

If your brother doesn't care for PQ, and yet was blown away by the PQ of this Blu-ray, does that right there not tell you something?

post #187 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Did you guys miss Olivers quote? This is not the only one I have read either....Here it is again.....

Asking the question "what's wrong with renting this movie" is now akin to saying "don't buy this movie at all costs"?

WTF????

post #188 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 03:25 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post

If your brother doesn't care for PQ, and yet was blown away by the PQ of this Blu-ray, does that right there not tell you something?

It may simply say that since his brother wasn't spending every second of the film looking for EE, DNR, malignant pixels, or any other video anomaly, that he was able to enjoy a picture that's better than DVD quality.

Stephen.

post #189 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Asking the question "what's wrong with renting this movie" is now akin to saying "don't buy this movie at all costs"?

WTF????

That is not the whole quote. I am not explaining this again. Go read my posts one more time.

post #190 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Dude, I am stuck watching the first 15 minutes of "Nightmare Before Christmas" in an endless loop. My 18 month old daughter loves it but loses all interest when Jack gets to Christmastown.

Oh and I would NEVER deprive my kid when she's older of something that they wanted because of my personal opinion. I forsee many years of teeny-bop records in the future.

That movie warped my Godson (5yrs). His Mom watched that with him (a lot) when he was about the same age and he is now comforted by the macabre.

He is all Halloween all of the time. He spent the weekend here and helped me put up the Christmas decorations. He wanted some Christmas tombstones.

He keeps taking their Halloween decorations out of their garage and putting them in his room. I'm talking about life-sized Jason mannequins and stuff like that.

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
post #191 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Not going to disagree - I can't for lack of ground to stand on. No one is saying you have to buy to enjoy. I've just never gotten some people's inability to enjoy a movie because the SQ or PQ isn't up to their standards. You and I both know that some people (especially here) are like that, and that's fine, just somewhat hard to understand sometimes for someone like me who just enjoys a move - no matter how many thousands I've spent on my home theater to get the ability to enjoy a good transfer to the fullest (and then get robbed of one).

So why do we even buy Blu-ray then? I know I bought into it to get as close to the theater experience (or better) as possible. If I didn't want that, then certainly the DVD would be fine, no? I remember seeing TDK in theater. Why should I feel compelled to replicate that experience with degraded quality just because I enjoyed the theatrical experience?

Thankfully, I don't.

post #192 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I am thinking now that everyone is right.

If you feel the EE is too distracting, and dont want to buy it your right.

If the EE is not distracting, and you blind buy it, your right.

We can argue about a subjective topic all day, and its still subjective. The fact that EE is there is not subjective yes, but is it a distraction? Thats up to you!

Myself, IMHO, I just dont find it distracting. I cant sit here all day looking at screen caps, and looking for flaws in the movie itself, it detracts from my enjoyment of it.

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
post #193 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza View Post

I am thinking now that everyone is right.

If you feel the EE is to distracting, and dont want to buy it your right.

If the EE is not distracting, and you blind buy it, your right.

We can argue about a subjective topic all day, and its still subjective. The fact that EE is there is not subjective yes, but is it a distraction? Thats up to you!

Myself, IMHO, I just dont find it distracting. I cant sit here all day looking at screen caps, and looking for flaws in the movie itself, it detracts from my enjoyment of it.

Exaaaactly. The amount you are distracted/bothered by the PQ is completely subjective, so for people to tell other people what to buy or not to buy is totally assinine. I am just thankful a site/thread like this exists so that we, as consumers, don't have be guinea pigs before we decide what to spend our hard-earned cash on.....

post #194 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 03:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:

To deprive oneself of owning one of their all time favorites because it is not perfect even though it is the best version available is silly IMO. You dont agree and that is fine

What do you care. Leave these people alone. This is a PQ thread not story line thread.
You have stated your side let those who care about PQ do the same. There are people who are thrifty with their $ and if they do not want to waist it on a sub par transfer so be it.

Quote:

Exaaaactly. I am just thankful a site/thread like this exists so that we, as consumers, don't have be guinea pigs before we decide what to spend our hard-earned cash on.....

Im going to quote you:Exaaaactly. These threads are meant to bring the facts to the surface. At that point people should be left alone to make their own conclusion.
Telling someone to pass or not to pass does not change the facts regarding these transfers. These threads should be looked at as educational for a relatively new format to both consumer and manufacture. Hopefully the Studios are learning from our feedback as well.

Moving forward please keep the discussion related to PQ not story line or whether someone should by or not.

Thank you!
post #195 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

What do you care. Leave these people alone. This is a PQ thread not story line thread.
You have stated your side let those who care about PQ do the same. There are people who are thrifty with their $ and if they do not want to waist it on a sub par transfer so be it.

Just trying to keep things in perspective Alan and sorry you feel threatened by that (as well as some other people here). That was certainly not my intention. How am I keeping anyone from stating their side though? If anyone here has allowed me to have that much power over them it is their own fault. I encouraged a friendly debate here. I will leave my argument alone though (atleast until the SD-DVD shots come up as I may want to comment on that particular topic) as I have made my point and stand by it I agree with you, I have made my point

post #196 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Just trying to keep things in perspective Alan and sorry you feel threatened by that (as well as some other people here). That was certainly not my intention. How am I keeping anyone from stating their side though? If anyone here has allowed me to have that much power over them it is their own fault. I encouraged a friendly debate here. I will leave my argument alone though (atleast until the SD-DVD shots come up as I may want to comment on that particular topic) as I have made my point and stand by it I agree with you, I have made my point

You input regarding PQ is welcomed but leave out such comments "people are depriving themselves if they pass on this one or its silly", thats not your call and what gets people upset.
Thank you!
post #197 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You input regarding PQ is welcomed but leave out such comments "people are depriving themselves if they pass on this one or its silly", thats not your call and what gets people upset.
Thank you!

There has been extreme type comments on both sides and you have even had a few of your own between these DK threads, so lets be fair. I will leave it at that though and agree with you that those type comments should not be here from either side and I will do my part to not contribute to that and I hope others can do that as well.

Looking forward to those SD-DVD shots to see how big or small of a dif there is between it and the BR.

post #198 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

There has been extreme type comments on both sides and you have even had a few of your own between these DK threads, so lets be fair. I will leave it at that though and agree with you that those type comments should not be here from either side and I will do my part to not contribute to that and I hope others can do that as well.

Looking forward to those SD-DVD shots to see how big or small of a dif there is between it and the BR.

Where have I told someone not to buy this title or insulted anyone who did?
post #199 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I wouldn't base your PQ expectation upon the previous title in this case. While I did not think BB deserved tier 0 rating after screening TDK BB now looks pretty darn good.

You misunderstood my post Alan. I was not, in any way, basing my PQ expectation on the previous title (BB).'

I was basing my expectation of the movie itself on BB and the reviews.

Basing PQ expectations on a previous release would be silly.
post #200 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 04:24 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So why do we even buy Blu-ray then? I know I bought into it to get as close to the theater experience (or better) as possible. If I didn't want that, then certainly the DVD would be fine, no? I remember seeing TDK in theater. Why should I feel compelled to replicate that experience with degraded quality just because I enjoyed the theatrical experience?

Thankfully, I don't.

Favelle, I don't know what's so hard to comprehend what I was saying. This makes the third time in the last ten posts or so that I've said I'll be the first one to buy another copy of whatever format because the quality is improved over the last version available. Bad quality (or simply less than reference) doesn't stop me from enjoying watching a movie that I liked in the first place. It's not up to me what others do, I just commented that I don't fully understand why the quality of the movie (in this case, still better than DVD as far as I can tell) should take away from the viewing experience. Then again, I may be just as finicky when it comes to audio. Even then, I'd never NOT watch a movie simply because it wasn't reference quality. I don't care who rents or buys whatever the hell they want to, that's up to them. I just think it's a bad call for someone to not watch this movie for the first time because the picture quality is only slightly better than DVD, which is the standard we've had for the past several years.

I'm all for having the best transfer available, but won't judge what I chose to watch on how it's reviewed for technical quality. But, to each their own. It's not my place to hold anyone's choices about how they handle their home theater experiences in the privacy of their own homes against them. I just have a different take on it, and won't let quality override content.

EDIT: Forget my "no hard feelings" smiley.

Stephen.

post #201 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 04:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

You misunderstood my post Alan. I was not, in any way, basing my PQ expectation on the previous title (BB).'

I was basing my expectation of the movie itself on BB and the reviews.

Basing PQ expectations on a previous release would be silly.

Hi Rob, gotcha
This being a PQ thread I assumed ( thats what I get for assuming )
post #202 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Where have I told someone not to buy this title or insulted anyone who did?

I never said you insulted anyone or told someone not to buy this title. I simply said some extreme type comments have been made on both sides and a few from you as well. Extreme comments dont have to involve insulting or telling someone not to buy this title.

post #203 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 04:28 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This being a PQ thread I assumed ( thats what I get for assuming )

....and this is where I'm at fault, for interjecting my opinions on something other than picture quality.

Stephen.

post #204 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

C) AGAIN, I am only talking about people who have claimed this is one of their favorite movies and were absolutely planning on buying. For those who consider it just an above average blockbuster, I can see renting, buying, borrowing, etc.....

In response to your last comment, AGAIN just speaking of those who were planning on buying this, and consider it one of their favorite movies.

Please read exactly what I wrote before making this type of post as you failed to correctly comprehend what I was saying

I read exactly what you wrote directly to me:
Quote:

To deprive oneself of owning one of their all time favorites because it is not perfect even though it is the best version available is silly IMO. You dont agree and that is fine

I made it clear in the last couple posts that I DON'T disagree, nor did I say anything like that that should make you think that.

If you want to direct something at me, at least don't put words in my mouth. The fact that you're putting words in MY mouth is reason for me to wonder if the people you refer to on "other forums" even apply here. If you have a problem with them, don't misdirect it at me/us. I think I speak for more than myself when I say I wouldn't mind if you posted less here and more there if they're the ones you're having a problem with.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #205 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

....and this is where I'm at fault, for interjecting my opinions on something other than picture quality.

+1. I am at fault here as well. Bring on the SD-DVD shots so we can get this thing back on topic.

post #206 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

after screening TDK BB now looks pretty darn good.

Very true. I remembered it as kind of soft and while it is to a degree I have to say that after rewatching a scene or two it is definitely better looking to me than TDK.
post #207 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

But here's the thing. I LOVE the film "Gangs of New York". I really do. But I will NOT buy the BD which IMHO looks like Ass in a Can, even if it IS the best looking version available. If I want to watch the film again in the best way available, I simply put it in my netflix queue again and it will be here in 2 days. I can wait. Everyone has different tolerances. Some people really hate EE and the overly digital look. To them it's distracting as hell.
(Now I know TDK is considered a much better transfer than Gangs but it's the principle. That someone can like, love, be a fan of the film and yet not HAVE to buy it at this time. Many of us here who do work lots of hours, have kids might get to watch one, two films a week. How many times we will actually watch a single title?

I just wanted to post these comments in relation to what I said earlier in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I'm a film lover. The movie comes first. As a movie lover, I want the best possible representation of the film on my 123" screen. If a great movie is released that I really have to have, I am likely to purchase it, unless the PQ issues are so bad that it will ruin the overall experience and completely take you out of the movie. I don't think that is going to be the case with this title.

and have people realize that these two posts are not contradictory.

I agree with you Dave, Gangs of New York is where I would have to draw the line.
post #208 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

I read exactly what you wrote directly to me:

I made it clear in the last couple posts that I DON'T disagree, nor did I say anything like that that should make you think that.

If you want to direct something at me, at least don't put words in my mouth. The fact that you're putting words in MY mouth is reason for me to wonder if the people you refer to on "other forums" even apply here. If you have a problem with them, don't misdirect it at me/us. I think I speak for more than myself when I say I wouldn't mind if you posted less here and more there if they're the ones you're having a problem with.

I was not directing that comment at you, it was a general comment. Sorry if that is how you perceived it. If I had something to say to you, I would say it directly to you.

PLEASE do me a favor next time and read all the posts in question before making a A, B, C list since your list was useless in light of your lack of comprehension.

I could not care less about how you feel about my posts or quantity of them for that matter. I would love to see less of your posts as well for the record.

I am stepping out of this now to get this thread back on track. If you have any further issue with me, please take it to PM as I will NOT respond to your next post out of respect for the topic at hand which I have been a big contributor to derailing and wish to put that to a stop.

post #209 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not up to me what others do, I just commented that I don't fully understand why the quality of the movie (in this case, still better than DVD as far as I can tell) should take away from the viewing experience.

WTF??? If the quality of the presentation doesn't take anything away from the viewing epxerience, in any way, shape, or form, then why bother with anything other than the DVD or downloaded Xvid??? Why does it work for one and not the other? And why does it matter that its better than the DVD when, in your opinion, the quality of the movie doesn't take away from the viewing experience?

post #210 of 1594 Old 11-30-2008, 05:06 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WTF??? If the quality of the presentation doesn't take anything away from the viewing epxerience, in any way, shape, or form, then why bother with anything other than the DVD or downloaded Xvid??? Why does it work for one and not the other? And why does it matter that its better than the DVD when, in your opinion, the quality of the movie doesn't take away from the viewing experience?

I never said the quality doesn't matter. I said (worded differently) that the quality shouldn't stop anyone from watching a movie. Did I not say (for the fourth time now, I think) that I've bought numerous movies more than once because the next release or format offered better quality? The quality matters, of course, but shouldn't be the determining factor (in my eyes) of someones enjoyment of a movie. Maybe quality of transfer should be the determining factor of a purchase, but not a viewing. If you don't like a movie that's displayed at 95% of what it could have been, then you didn't like the movie in the first place.

EDIT: The last two words in the post you quoted from me is "viewing experience". My point may be better served if those words were replaced with "enjoying the movie".

Stephen.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page