Blu-ray Video/Audio Glitch List or Overall Poor Quality - Titles to avoid. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 220 Old 01-19-2009, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

How would you guys feel if I put extremely bad transfers on this list?

I don't mean stuff like Pans Labyrinth & Top Gun you might see on the EE/DNR list, but stuff that was totally butchered like Gangs of New York that truly is not worth buying due to horrible quality.

The really bad transfers are already listed in the thread contained in my signature link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS View Post

That is amazing. What kind of player do you have?

Playstation 3 and loads very fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 220 Old 01-19-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

How would you guys feel if I put extremely bad transfers on this list?

I don't mean stuff like Pans Labyrinth & Top Gun you might see on the EE/DNR list, but stuff that was totally butchered like Gangs of New York that truly is not worth buying due to horrible quality.

I really like this list, but I think it should be kept in a format strictly listing unintended technical glitches. To be honest I do not believe titles with problems like Event Horizon should be listed. Someone preparing that release consciously made the decision in transferring that master to stretch it for whatever reason. But it is your list to do with as you see fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #93 of 220 Old 01-19-2009, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I don't think films with bad transfers should go on this list. This is a list of glitches that should and presumably will be fixed with future repressings - this is info on what to look for, and how to get the fixed version once and if it is made available.

Poor transfers are just a fact of life, and 99 times out of 100 won't be fixed until the next release - and that will be an entirely different UPC, an entirely different cover art, etc., separated from the original release by a matter of years. That is an entirely different beast.
post #94 of 220 Old 01-20-2009, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

I really like this list, but I think it should be kept in a format strictly listing unintended technical glitches. To be honest I do not believe titles with problems like Event Horizon should be listed. Someone preparing that release consciously made the decision in transferring that master to stretch it for whatever reason. But it is your list to do with as you see fit.

Thats what I figured, which is why I didn't put things like Gangs of New York on in the first place. Just brought it up since someone PM'd me regarding that idea... I don't want it to be an EE/DNR-like list because then it would be endless (IMO).

However, I disagree that Event Horizon or Truman Show was purposefully stretched - I mean, why would someone purposefully distort the picture? There are much less noticable ways of changing aspect or covering flaws like cropping or zooming. IMO it was bad QC and Paramount didn't want to pony up the cash for new transfers.
post #95 of 220 Old 01-20-2009, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have contact info for MPI regarding Baraka?

Just as a suggestion... perhaps return contact information can be provided for every title on the list when available?

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #96 of 220 Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

Does anyone have contact info for MPI regarding Baraka?

Just as a suggestion... perhaps return contact information can be provided for every title on the list when available?

Yeah, I definitely want to do that, just haven't gotten around to it.

customerservice@mpimedia.com
post #97 of 220 Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Baraka (Horrible cardboard eco-pak edition)
* Some copies freeze at 1hr 13mins mark. A batch of the initial run of discs in the poorly-made cardboard case had significant manufacturing issues which some players are more sensitive to than others.
! MPI has a replacement program available

The currently sold edition is still in eco-pak packaging. How can I tell without opening it if it is the new or the old version? I'd rather keep it sealed in case I have to resell it or exchange it.
post #98 of 220 Old 01-27-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I'm confused. Is there a non-eco-pak version available?

I don't feel special...
post #99 of 220 Old 01-27-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

I'm confused. Is there a non-eco-pak version available?

Yes, I've seen the normal Blu-ray case version in stores (and picked up a copy for myself at Barnes & Noble). Others have reported that MPI sent them a copy in a normal Blu-ray case after they sent their eco-pack version in for replacement.

At Best Buy, however, I still see the older eco-pack versions. It might just be that Best Buy bought a lot of initial stock, and is still sending those same eco-pack ones from its warehouse (which would make sense, since MPI isn't doing a recall on these - they're just replacing on a case-by-case basis and presumably sending new shipments in the newer case).
post #100 of 220 Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, how can you tell if you have the bad die hard 2 disc?

And is the dark knight issue the bass overdrive that is heard? Thanks

"How long were you in Mexico?"
" uh...a week, no, no, a day..."
"Well, which is it a week or a day?
"uh...a weekday?"
post #101 of 220 Old 01-27-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianlove41 View Post

So, how can you tell if you have the bad die hard 2 disc?

They haven't fixed it in the US, so the only way to get a correctly flagged disc is to buy the UK or Australian version.
post #102 of 220 Old 01-27-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

But what asking is are all discs problematic? Or just some?

"How long were you in Mexico?"
" uh...a week, no, no, a day..."
"Well, which is it a week or a day?
"uh...a weekday?"
post #103 of 220 Old 01-27-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianlove41 View Post

But what asking is are all discs problematic? Or just some?

Yes, all of the US discs are incorrectly flagged.

BTW, if your BD player is a PS3, this isn't an issue. There are other players that play the track, but I don't know which ones.
post #104 of 220 Old 01-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
You may want to mention the fact that none of the most recent Fox releases (including Firefly) do not play on the Samsung BD-P1000. No firmware update to solve the problem is available yet.
post #105 of 220 Old 01-27-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

There is a technical problem with Priceless. When watching this movie in 1080i/60 resolution, there is irregular 3:2 pulldown throughout the movie. It causes stuttering artifacts that are very noticeable when processed by a deinterlacer that reconstructs and displays 48p from 60i. I confirmed this problem on an LG BH200 and a Sony PS3, both operating in 1080i/60 mode, fed to a Lumagen Vision HDP video processor and on to a Sony Ruby projector. The stuttering artifacts are completely repeatable at specific scenes in the movie.

The 'fix' is to set the BD player to 24p mode, if your display can support it.

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
post #106 of 220 Old 01-27-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

So I received my For Your Eyes Only replacement from Fox today. I don't have a BD-ROM drive so I can't confirm this, but it appears to me that the disc is the exact same as the original ones. The barcode labels for the disc layers read BVDL-027360A1 and BVDL-027360B1, which are the same as the original disc (and I know I didn't just accidentally stumble upon a fixed copy at retail because I purchased that disc on the very day of release).

Short of buying a BD-ROM drive, is there anything else I can do to see if this disc is identical or actually fixed?
post #107 of 220 Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Reloaded View Post

At Best Buy, however, I still see the older eco-pack versions. It might just be that Best Buy bought a lot of initial stock, and is still sending those same eco-pack ones from its warehouse (which would make sense, since MPI isn't doing a recall on these - they're just replacing on a case-by-case basis and presumably sending new shipments in the newer case).

Best Buy never seems to get updated discs; for years after the replacements were available they never got updated copies of the Back to the Future trilogy for store shelves.
post #108 of 220 Old 01-29-2009, 12:15 AM

I recently purchased Blade Runner, I was wondering if there is an easy way to identify if I may have a glitchy disk. Thanks
post #109 of 220 Old 01-29-2009, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post

I recently purchased Blade Runner, I was wondering if there is an easy way to identify if I may have a glitchy disk. Thanks

Insert disc 1 and wait a bit. A Ladd Company logo will appear. It should have a
black background on this disc.

Insert disc 5 and wait a bit. A Ladd Company logo will appear. It should have a white background on this disc.

If both of these elements are correct, so is your set. Otherwise, you have an error set.

I don't feel special...
post #110 of 220 Old 01-29-2009, 08:15 AM

That was very helpful. Thanks spec. It appears that my discs are glitch free.
post #111 of 220 Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm always happy to help someone have a problem-free experience watching my favorite movie!

I don't feel special...
post #112 of 220 Old 01-30-2009, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I checked out "Unbreakable" last night and the digital breakup is definitely there. But there's also a snap in the center channel at 8:27, just before the burst in the right surround.
post #113 of 220 Old 01-30-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune View Post

I checked out "Unbreakable" last night and the digital breakup is definitely there. But there's also a snap in the center channel at 8:27, just before the burst in the right surround.

You're talking about the US version, right?

I got the UK version, and it's definitely improved at least. If you go back to the original Unbreakable audio problem thread, there's a big list of a dozen or more time codes with supposed small pops. Some of the small ones still seem to be there, but it's tough to tell if they're just small sounds within the mix or whatever. The most noticeable one, the two or three very loud cracks at around 8:30 in the beginning of the movie, is completely gone in the UK version - so that is an improvement.
post #114 of 220 Old 02-02-2009, 12:01 PM

As stated in the Cars review posts:

Pop during this scene while listening to the 5.1 Uncompressed soundtrack @ 1:11:09, right after Sally says "No".
Left rear speaker only.

I have this on my copy. It not loud, but it is there.
post #115 of 220 Old 02-02-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey ra View Post

I have this on my copy.

Does this mean there are some copies without it?

I don't feel special...
post #116 of 220 Old 02-02-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

Does this mean there are some copies without it?

That's what I hope to confirm on this thread.
post #117 of 220 Old 02-02-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey ra View Post

As stated in the Cars review posts:

Pop during this scene while listening to the 5.1 Uncompressed soundtrack @ 1:11:09, right after Sally says "No".
Left rear speaker only.

I have this on my copy. It not loud, but it is there.

We just came across this issue in a German forum. Someone with a PS3 posted this little pop. I checked it with PowerDVD and could confirm it . Strange thing is, that I don't get the pop when playing with TMT. Both of us, the o-poster with a PS3 and me, have the pop while listening to a stereo downmix, so I was hoping, that it was a an error due the downmix. But now this doesn't seem very likely anymore...

Weird thing is, that I don't get the pop with TMT, but I think I might check this one more time now... (since I currently have to listen to a stereo downmix, I don't know for sure, what TMT does with the original multichannel track during the downmix...)

After all, I think there is an issue with the English PCM track on the Cars US blu-ray .

EDIT: I just checked again with TMT, and I definitely can't hear the pop with TMT. But with PowerDVD, once noticed, it is very clear. Strange...
post #118 of 220 Old 03-02-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Event Horizon
* Image is vertically stretched, resulting in overly "thin" faces and image distortion.
! Paramount has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post

It's not like the entire movie is like this. It's only in a few shots. You should make note of that.

Has anyone compared this "so-called" defect to the DVD or confirmed that this is really a defect? I'm pretty sure that the "distortion" is part of the look of the film. I didn't notice anything that didn't also exist on the DVD.

Can whomever reported this provide a timestamp?

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My
and

post #119 of 220 Old 03-02-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Starship Troopers
* Editing error where a few frames of the movie are repeated, omitting what should actually be seen. Example: Faulty version --Corrected version.
! Sony has a replacement program available

Does anyone have the Sony replacement contact information? If so, can it be posted in port 1 too?

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My
and

post #120 of 220 Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasy969 View Post

We just came across this issue in a German forum. Someone with a PS3 posted this little pop. I checked it with PowerDVD and could confirm it . Strange thing is, that I don't get the pop when playing with TMT. Both of us, the o-poster with a PS3 and me, have the pop while listening to a stereo downmix, so I was hoping, that it was a an error due the downmix. But now this doesn't seem very likely anymore...

Weird thing is, that I don't get the pop with TMT, but I think I might check this one more time now... (since I currently have to listen to a stereo downmix, I don't know for sure, what TMT does with the original multichannel track during the downmix...)

After all, I think there is an issue with the English PCM track on the Cars US blu-ray .

EDIT: I just checked again with TMT, and I definitely can't hear the pop with TMT. But with PowerDVD, once noticed, it is very clear. Strange...

I have a PS3 connected to an Onkyo 805 via HDMI running in Ultra2 Cinema mode. I have also noticed this pop. It occurs when Sally and Lightning are at the abandoned Wheel Well the first time. I believe the pop is in the left surround channel. It's a slight pop. Slightly annoying that this is there, but this is such a small defect on an otherwise stellar release that I would not take it off my 'buy' list. It's not like the PotC framing error that ran for several minutes.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page