[UK] The Prisoner - Complete Series (1967) Coming to Blu-Ray April 27th- - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 149 Old 02-14-2009, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 25
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prisoner-Com.../dp/B001QXZ84I

Just saw this for all the Prisoner fans out there. Hopefully a US release comes at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 149 Old 02-14-2009, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think it's been remade.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1043714/

James Caviezel is the lead actor.

Real bad idea remaking a classic and setting it in America.

They are currently showing the original every Tuesday morning in the UK.
post #3 of 149 Old 02-14-2009, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link. I put in my order.
post #4 of 149 Old 02-14-2009, 10:37 AM

YES! Finally! Network announced this a LONG time ago (I started a thread on it too), but never had an official date or anything. I emailed them a couple times asking whether or not the set would be all regions, claiming that I knew a few people in Canada who would buy it if that was the case. Please, PLEASE be region free!
post #5 of 149 Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Holy cow, I was just about to rewatch my DVD box set when I saw this thread. Not that I can't still do that, but the thought of seeing the series in HD is very exciting. It never occurred to me that it was captured on film and would benefit from an HD transfer.
post #6 of 149 Old 02-17-2009, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails View Post

YES! Finally! Network announced this a LONG time ago (I started a thread on it too), but never had an official date or anything. I emailed them a couple times asking whether or not the set would be all regions, claiming that I knew a few people in Canada who would buy it if that was the case. Please, PLEASE be region free!

I'm in the USA, and hope it's region-free, too. I'll try to avoid ordering until it's confirmed.

Doug
post #7 of 149 Old 05-27-2009, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Any news? Amazon.uk changed this to a 2012 release, which I know is just a placeholder.

Doug
post #8 of 149 Old 06-06-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Something interesting just showed up on amazon.com USA with an Oct. 27 date:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C68WOG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 149 Old 06-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Squid View Post

Something interesting just showed up on amazon.com USA with an Oct. 27 date:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C68WOG

I'll be right back...need to change my shorts...
post #10 of 149 Old 06-06-2009, 08:59 AM

But will A&E be using the new Network (UK) restoration? I certainly hope so. Anyway, encouraging news!
post #11 of 149 Old 06-06-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_K View Post

But will A&E be using the new Network (UK) restoration? I certainly hope so. Anyway, encouraging news!

I hope so as well. I already have a complete set of the A&E DVDs (released in 2000 I believe) which are not particularly impressive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 149 Old 06-06-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I had to watch an episode of this for a class one time, and I hated it because the dialogue was spoken way too quickly(Like Gilmore Girls multiplied by 3).

Don't flame. But what's so great about this show?

It looks like AMC is doing a remake. All of the episodes are available here...I think. http://www.amctv.com/videos/the-prisoner-1960s-video/

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #13 of 149 Old 06-06-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_K View Post

I hope they use the Network restoration. I'm waiting on the UK release from Network. I wrote them an e-mail and they said they're still working on it, and wouldn't provide any other details. I bet they're planning on releasing it around the time of the new series.

BTW, does anyone know when it will air? The official website just says "in 2009."

Doug
post #14 of 149 Old 06-06-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

I had to watch an episode of this for a class one time, and I hated it because the dialogue was spoken way too quickly(Like Gilmore Girls multiplied by 3).

Don't flame. But what's so great about this show?

Perhaps because it`s one of the most subversive shows ever released to network TV. Topics touched on throughout the series range from individuality vs. conformity, the power of education in thwarting original thought, abuse of the power of authority, revolution against tyranny, and on and on.

Personally, I think it is one of the most thought-provoking, intelligent and allegorical shows in the history of television.

post #15 of 149 Old 06-06-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Personally, I think it is one of the most thought-provoking, intelligent and allegorical shows in the history of television.

There is this, but for me it is all about the character of McGoohan's No. 6. In a sense somewhat like Sherlock Holmes or the more modern take of Dr. House. A strong-willed and hard-nosed individualist who is brilliant but plays by his own book and who also happens to be a little bit of an anti-social a$$-hole. If you like the character then it works, otherwise not so much.

post #16 of 149 Old 06-07-2009, 05:48 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

There is this, but for me it is all about the character of McGoohan's No. 6. In a sense somewhat like Sherlock Holmes or the more modern take of Dr. House. A strong-willed and hard-nosed individualist who is brilliant but plays by his own book and who also happens to be a little bit of an anti-social a$$-hole. If you like the character then it works, otherwise not so much.

I was a boy when the series was first broadcast and it really zapped my brain. I've seen it many times since and have noticed a curious cultural beat phenomenon along the lines of "everything old is new again":

First: "This is outstanding..."
Five years later: "Oh, well, it was good at the time..."
Five more years: "Ouch, painfully dated..."
Still later: "Hmm, some nostalgia here, a certain mythic quality..."
Later: "This is outstanding..."
Repeat....

In some sense it is very 60s, with the big one-against-many fight scene in every show, but in another it is timeless. The Village has always been around, and always will be. As the finale shows, being an individual doesn't let you escape from that.

In another sense it is Patrick McGoohan's commentary on being the Secret Agent Man. I agree that without his #6 it would be an entirely different project.

Some of the episodes are weak, but my judgment of which ones changes!

I love the landscape shots of the Village, the rare scenes where you get to see it from a new angle.

I thought of a not-too-serious alternative interpretation of the story: that #6 is a mental patient at a resort asylum and the people really are trying to help him, although of course he doesn't see it that way.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #17 of 149 Old 06-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I saw it as a kid and was blown away. PBS at the time had a home study guide that went along with the series. I think I still have it somewhere. I fulfilled an interest of mine when I was able to visit the village in Wales. I really enjoyed that. I have photos somewhere of my trip there.
post #18 of 149 Old 06-08-2009, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I also got hooked on this when it was first broadcast. I have the first two episodes on VHS.
If it goes Blu, I'm in.
post #19 of 149 Old 06-09-2009, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'll hold out for at least the first user report or two from the UK (on the assumption they get their BD set first).

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #20 of 149 Old 06-09-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I am in all the way...#1 TV program of all time, I liked the fact they wapped it up, should come about On OCT 27,2009 and its cheap on amazon preorder so I went for it, no sales tax and shipping. The new version looks good to with great casting. I salute you #6 and its too bad he passed away in last year to not see his gem on Blu
post #21 of 149 Old 06-09-2009, 04:57 PM

This was a great show, nice to see it coming to BD! [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2464/*************************[/IMG]
post #22 of 149 Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

The Amazon listing w/ release date has been changed back to a placeholder, so it looks like we're celebrating too soon.
Doug
post #23 of 149 Old 08-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

What do you want? INFORMATION.

Amazon UK still has it up:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prisoner-Com...9403331&sr=8-1

So long as the region is cool, we're OK here in the states. I want this set so very bad, having just gotten through the set. My son started watching around episode 10, so he wants to watch the whole thing from the start.

Any thoughts or ideas?
post #24 of 149 Old 08-04-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wonder how this is going to differ from the Blu-ray version being released in the U.S. by A&E. Will they indeed be from the same masters?

The standard DVD version released in the UK by Network was remastered and looks excellent. (I own this version.) The standard DVD version in the U.S. released by A&E was lacking even though it was supposedly also remastered. (I got rid of this version.)

As far as being a zone-free Blu-ray, I don't know about Network's other releases, so I couldn't tell you.

Looking at Amazon's US site, it seems the release date has been pushed back from 10/27/09 to "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available."
post #25 of 149 Old 08-04-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting really anxious about this one, too. Strange that Network still have nothing about it on their website...

Doug
post #26 of 149 Old 08-09-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

The official fan club, Six of One, have confirmed the Network BD set and cover art here:

http://www.netreach.net/~sixofone/

Now those of us in NoAm need to find out if it's region locked or not. Also, it would be nice if A&E purchased the masters and extras from Network for the NoAm release. It seems to be common knowledge that Network's DVD set was much superior to A&Es.

Doug
post #27 of 149 Old 08-09-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^^^

Thanks for the link.

(I'm good to go for the release in any region since I've got a couple of region/zone free Blu-ray players.)
post #28 of 149 Old 08-09-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Forgive me for a really late reply, but McGoohan's Number 6 also could have been Number 1 as crazy as it may sound. In a Columbo episode McGoohan played a CIA agent who dressed exactly like and talked like Number 6 including saying 'Be seeing you'. Except he was very social, manipulative and evil.

I just thought I throw that hand grenade in there.
post #29 of 149 Old 08-12-2009, 08:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 348
The US Amazon cover art is different today. It shows a Blu-ray cover. Still no date.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #30 of 149 Old 08-12-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I can't imagine a television show shot on 16mm 40 years ago is going to be worth purchasing on an HD format.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page