Battlestar Galactica Complete Series - Page 22 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2009, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

I think packaging is ABSOLUTELY relevant to a thread like this. If THIS many people are complaining about the packaging, it at least stands as a message to the studios that are becoming more and more careless with their packaging standards. Let's look at the TMNT Blu-ray boxed set. Let's take a look at the crappy accordion cardboard packaging of The Simpsons now. Let's look at the cardboard sleeve system that's being used on certain titles. Let's also take a look at the seven disc Blu-ray cases that are being used where the hubs aren't large enough to ensure the discs stay on. Now we have this?

I've wanted to get into this series for a very, very long time. I waited for this boxed set. Now... I'm taking a pass until the price comes down quite a bit, or the individual seasons become available to the format. The numerous and lengthy discussions I've found on here and other forums on the web have educated me on this particular release in great depth. I've been able to hear user opinions and see pics to try and judge for myself. I think that when a studio comes up with bad packaging, there NEEDS to be tons and tons of posts about it. Studios need to get the message. It needs to be well known that consumers aren't happy. Sure, we can all write to the studios, but the internet voice can be just as strong at times.

its been almost a year since i purchased the simpsons season 11 boxset and i still have yet to figure out how to get the discs out without ripping the sleeves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post

So would you suggest buying season 4.5 and waiting on the rest to be individually released sometime in the future?

Quote:

Because I really can't afford the complete series right now.

In this case, I'd say wait. Since you can't afford the whole set now anyway, if you wait, not only could you see a price drop later on, but you could also see how they decide to release the other seasons. All things considered, this is a must-own tv show for me...and I will own all of it, just not right now.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Edit - the above post beat me to it upload button so I edited mine -

Several are seeking blank Blu-ray cases that hold up to 6 discs. I did find PCX & yes it'll be expensive. That's why I'm continuing to do some searching to find an alternative. But I haven't found one yet for 6 disc cases.

I know vläd is also checking into this.

On the word issue, didn't you use some of these ***?

ss9001

Thanks for the reasonable post as some people are pissed because some of us think if you spend 200+ on this you should get some type of packaging that will last! Also we will be able to access your discs in a easy manner. Hence this is a Blu-Ray thread about the "Complete Series" and it is relevant to some of us that we are stuck with crap packaging when we paid good money for this... I would have thought they would have used some thing similar to season 4.5 on Blu-Ray which is much more sane of a choice.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 100
PQ during the mini-series started off as horrible during the intro just after the blu dialog box disclaimer
(with the overdose of artificial grain reducing observable detail immensly), to impeccable (even with grain).
Its been a few years since I watched the mini-series-when I rushed home for delivery of the (then newly marketed)
Sharp LC-45GX6U 45" LCD 1080p Flat Panel & watched the mini-series DVD twice that night.
Now watching on a 52" XBR6.
I'll pop the HD-DVD I just ordered from Inet in the HD-XA2 to compare just how "awefull" the VC1 HD-DVD S1 encode really is.
Looks like I'll be up late tonight.

I'll be calling Uni in the morning asking for std plastic 6 disc plastic BD cases.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

In this case, I'd say wait. Since you can't afford the whole set now anyway, if you wait, not only could you see a price drop later on, but you could also see how they decide to release the other seasons. All things considered, this is a must-own tv show for me...and I will own all of it, just not right now.

I agree. I love the show. But I just read a user review on the Blu Ray forums saying that Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 had crappy packaging as well. That the disks came in a card board box and all attached to one tab or post instead of paged tabs like Firefly: The complete series. Can anyone confirm?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree. I love the show. But I just read a user review on the Blu Ray forums saying that Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 had crappy packaging as well. That the disks came in a card board box and all attached to one tab or post instead of paged tabs like Firefly: The complete series. Can anyone confirm?

It's 1 or 2 pages back in this thread.
True Blood is solid cardboard, but it feels expensive, and it doesn't suck...go figure.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
Old 08-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

PQ during the mini-series started off as horrible during the intro just after the blu dialog box disclaimer
(with the overdose of artificial grain reducing observable detail immensly), to impeccable (even with grain).

I think a lot of the inconsistency of the mini-series came from them trying to figure out what worked and what didn't as far as the look is concerned. I'd be interested to know the shooting order of the scenes to see if there was any correlation between that and the photography.

You can also see a bit of inconsistency in the first regular episode, 33, which was the first episode to be shot in HD and by Stephen McNutt.

But regardless of specifics, it seems that whatever problems the episodes may have from a visual standpoint are a result of the production.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I posted a few pics here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16922191

I like the 4.5 box myself. It's sturdy and it's nice and compact...I hope they release all seasons in something similar.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

I posted a few pics here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16922191

I like the 4.5 box myself. It's sturdy and it's nice and compact...I hope they release all seasons in something similar.

Thanks. I think I agree.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles3k View Post

You're right. I should not belittle people because I disagree with their priorities. I apologize.

I just find it to be very frustrating that all of the positive attributes of this set (which, in my opinion, vastly outweigh the negatives) are being ignored because people are more concerned with what they're going to do with the set when they're not using it. This thread is no longer about a disc. It's about a box. Personally, I'm much more interested in discs than boxes.

I agree that the material on the discs is great as I believe this is one of the best TV shows ever. With that said, the sole reason I am not buying this set is because of the packaging therefore I see it's discussion as very important to this thread. The packaging is just unacceptable for set costing this much. I think it is down right ridiculous that your everyday run of the mill $20 BD release has a more functional box then this $200 set. Universal should be embarrassed IMO.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Old 08-03-2009, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

I agree that the material on the discs is great as I believe this is one of the best TV shows ever. With that said, the sole reason I am not buying this set is because of the packaging therefore I see it's discussion as very important to this thread.

I'm not saying you're wrong to do so, but I do think it depends on how much you value the content. This is what I wanted - all of BSG in HD. (Well, *almost* all.) And as the price kept dropping it became a "must have" for me. Personally, the packaging can be replaced. I've seen some good custom covers out there and as soon as I see ones I like enough I'll print 'em and slap 'em in some 6-disc holders and call it a day.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Personally, I don't feel spending $200 on something just so I can replace the packaging myself is worth that much money.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I got mine on Saturday. I don't have a problem with packaging, other than like others have mentioned, I would have preferred at least an episode guide.

Can anyone tell me if Razor is included in this set? And if so, where (what season is it tucked in)?

Old 08-03-2009, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Razor is there in the season 4 box. Should be the 1st disc. I believe both versions are on the disc..broadcast & extended.

Steve
Old 08-03-2009, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Razor is there in the season 4 box. Should be the 1st disc. I believe both versions are on the disc..broadcast & extended.

Ah, okay. Thanks!

Old 08-03-2009, 07:51 AM

Am I the only person who wants to hear about how the audio, visual, and "extras" aspects are improved or not over the DVD and HD-DVD releases? I've already bought it, but I'd like to know what I should be expecting when it gets delivered (other than awful packaging, which has been discussed to death).
Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post

Am I the only person who wants to hear about how the audio, visual, and "extras" aspects are improved or not over the DVD and HD-DVD releases? I've already bought it, but I'd like to know what I should be expecting when it gets delivered (other than awful packaging, which has been discussed to death).

Woah woah woah. Are you implying that there's something more to this set other than the packaging?!?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't own any other version but I have to say that the Blu-rays look and (more noticeably) sound very good. The soundtrack is not reference and more front heavy but I'm loving it in my theatre. Bear did a great job on the sounds in this series and they really shine with DTS HD MA.

The PQ gets better as you work your way though. The miniseries is very grainy and does not have a lot of detail (relative to other things on Blu) but this is just the way it was intended to be. S1 has more detail and then it gets really good in the last 2 seasons.

Overall the most important part of this release (the content and the AQ/PQ) is top notch. I don't think they could have done much better at all.

Yes it's expensive but it is close to 70 hours of the best show ever made

I'd advise to wait for a sale if you can't afford it or maybe wait for individual seasons if you already have some but I can't see them being as top notch as these are on Blu-ray so it may be worth the upgrade if you're a big fan like me.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 AM

Well i just got my set from DeepDiscount and they incorrectly shipped me the DVD versions instead of the Blus. I called, had a guy tell me they were "THE SAME THING" and finally got a manager who after a 25 minute wait to get to her, TOLD ME i had to call BUY.com. I informed her, they sent me to her. She got my email, told me she would send me a label to ship it back and that was a while ago. I have recieved no such email still.

I requested a full refund. I love BSG and thought i had scored a deal at DD, but alas no. I'll just have to wait.

It's $20 more at Amazon than what i paid. Trying to be patient, but i'm off work this week and i had planned to sit and watch four episodes a day lol. Oh well, guess my fat ass can go running. lol.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR View Post

The PQ gets better as you work your way though. The miniseries is very grainy and does not have a lot of detail (relative to other things on Blu) but this is just the way it was intended to be. S1 has more detail and then it gets really good in the last 2 seasons.

I'm extremely happy to hear this. My wife was upset with the image quality in the HD-DVD version, but if there's steady improvement, she should be fairly satisfied with the BR-Ds. Anyone want to comment on whether the BR-Ds are using a new recode of the mini-series and S1 or not? HDD has, strangely, not put up their review yet...
Old 08-03-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

(with the overdose of artificial grain reducing observable detail immensly),

Nope, that was real film grain, Kodak Vision 500T pushed two stops. Nothing artificial about it.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNKAKE View Post

Well i just got my set from DeepDiscount and they incorrectly shipped me the DVD versions instead of the Blus. I called, had a guy tell me they were "THE SAME THING" and finally got a manager who after a 25 minute wait to get to her, TOLD ME i had to call BUY.com. I informed her, they sent me to her. She got my email, told me she would send me a label to ship it back and that was a while ago. I have recieved no such email still.

I requested a full refund. I love BSG and thought i had scored a deal at DD, but alas no. I'll just have to wait.

It's $20 more at Amazon than what i paid. Trying to be patient, but i'm off work this week and i had planned to sit and watch four episodes a day lol. Oh well, guess my fat ass can go running. lol.

Sorry to read about your troubles. Hopefully, they'll make it right for all the people who bought into this "sale".
Hate to say I told y'all so

Check some of my earlier posts on these guys, who is behind the company and how they handle order processing.

Buyer beware

ss9001

Steve
Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Sorry to read about your troubles. Hopefully, they'll make it right for all the people who bought into this "sale".
Hate to say I told y'all so

Check some of my earlier posts on these guys, who is behind the company and how they handle order processing.

Buyer beware

ss9001

You were right. And you told us so too.. You know i know that people on this forum usually are credible, i chalk this one up to me being a "Cheap Bastard" and wanting it for $20 cheaper. I had a bad feeling when i saw the other posts of peeps getting DVD versions from DD.

That being said, i ordered it from Amazon. I took the three day thinking i'd get it before the weekend, then thought i might want to call and change it to two day, so i called, explained how i had been owned by DD and out of nowhere, the guys says... lets see it won't be a problem we can get it overnighted to you...they waived the overnight fee just to say they were glad i was a customer. I should preface all this by saying i had a bad experience trying to get a refund about three months ago and i'm sure that guy could see that on his screen. I didn't set out for it, the guy literally just offered it! OMG. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. This makes three times that Amazon has gone WAY above and beyond the call when ordering. Just wanted to share my good expereience. Anyway, props to Amazon, i knew better.

I'll shut up now and let the converstation get back on Topic. Sorry. Can't wait to veg and watch this on Blu Ray tomorrow! WOOT!
Old 08-03-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

Nope, that was real film grain, Kodak Vision 500T pushed two stops. Nothing artificial about it.

Doesnt mean it looks good though.
The inconsistentency in grain is distracting form the show in my opinion.
One shot it is a bloddy mess, and the next shot there is little or no noticeable grain present. Regardless, I am happy with the set (minus packaging) and cherish this show.

It is the show that got me back into watching scripted recurring shows on broadcast TV and pushed me into Digital TV.

I didnt have a chance to open the HD-DVD set from Inet last night but will pop the first disc in the HD-XA2 tonight to see for myself how they compare.

Can anyone recommend specific timecodes to watch to see just how bad the HD-DVD set is compared to the new Blu set during the mini series? (Or any season 1 episode)

BTW-It is basically impossible to talk to a physical human being at Universal Studios to ask about replacement blu 6 disc standard jewel cases.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:56 PM

Liked: 13
My set got here today from DD (I'm in CA, so took longer). Same 5-6 year track record for me, flawless shape great packing. Not the DVD set.....it's the BD set I ordered. I don't have any new comments really in regards to the packaging that hasn't been said.....it is just completely horrendous...I think the plastic coffin and french fry holder sums it up quite well. The plastic Cylon figure is a joke.....I mean...really really sad. Mine can't even stand on its own...might play with it later but it seriously looks cheesy and I don't see much purpose other than either shoving it back in the coffin or stick it in storage somewhere. What I want to know (out of curiosity) is if the DVD complete set suffered the same packaging. Because if it did, it is going to be disastrous as DVDs don't have the same coating BDs have and judging from the BDs I examined....they have been sliding up and down and around for some time during transit...but the BD coating keeps the surface looking flawless. But all my discs are checked off (all 20 received) and everything looks to be in pristine shape (thank god for BD coating)....for $151 (didn't use bing), you can't really beat this imo for early gratification. Now off to finish off the series to watch 4.5.

P.S. These discs are definitely going into cases on their own...they're not staying in this packaging....only good thing this package has is it looks decent on display ON TOP (since it won't fit most shelves) on a shelf.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Doesnt mean it looks good though.
The inconsistentency in grain is distracting form the show in my opinion.
One shot it is a bloddy mess, and the next shot there is little or no noticeable grain present.

If inconsistency is genuinely what bothers you, then it seems like you'd be satisfied with having an entire episode look grainy, all grainy = no inconsistency. Also, you must also dislike the episodes that have Rosaline's visions and dreams, with their blown out colors and highlights and half the image out of focus. Those sequences are far more inconsistent and distracting than a scene that has some grain in it. An episode like "Faith," which switches back and forth between normal scenes and Rosaline's dreams must, by your definition, be an absolutely terrible looking episode. Ditto episodes that have scenes on the Cyclon baseship, which have a very different look that's very inconsistent with the scenes on the battlestar. Also, let's throw in "Someone to Watch Over Me" where Starbuck is having visions about her dad. Very inconsistent-looking = doesn't look good, right?

But something tells me you have no complaints about the "distracting" inconsistency of the visions or Cylon baseship nor would you accept an episode that was all grainy. I suspect your complaint about the grain has really nothing to do with its inconsistency with non-grainy scenes but stems from the simple fact that you don't like grain, period.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

When do you think Netflix is going to carry these?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
And when are they going to start appearing in the 2nd hand shops....

It may well have been covered, but does anyone know if the UK versions will be region free and if there are any real differences?

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and a Sony BDPS6200. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
Old 08-03-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe we could do a group buy for these replacement cases:
http://www.pcx.com.au/products/detail.asp?item=1456
Old 08-03-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member