Battlestar Galactica Complete Series - Page 29 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 1612 Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

BSG movie "The Plan" out on DVD Oct. 27th, I am told! Features commentary from me and The Admiral!

http://twitter.com/CapricaSeven
http://www.amazon.com/Battlestar-Gal...0271767&sr=8-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1612 Old 08-14-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Reloaded View Post

The set isn't out in the UK until September, so I don't know what all the frustration is about. Sure, sometimes people get things early but it's certainly not something to count on. You'll get all the pictures you need once the set is actually released.

agreed. Jeez, it's only a month

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #843 of 1612 Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

agreed. Jeez, it's only a month

I think because some people have the US version backordered from DeepDiscount and are trying to decide whether to cancel it before it ships and go with the UK version.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #844 of 1612 Old 08-14-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvthunder View Post

When do you think Netflix is going to carry these?

Been wondering the same thing. They are normally pretty good about getting Blu-ray series right away, like Dexter S3 is already in their system and it gets released next week. Not sure why they don't have Battlestar yet...
post #845 of 1612 Old 08-14-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

I think because some people have the US version backordered from DeepDiscount and are trying to decide whether to cancel it before it ships and go with the UK version.

oh i know but if something's not out yet, it's not out yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #846 of 1612 Old 08-14-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

I don't know if this has been answered yet, but is the UK version region free and are the special features playable in US players? Some imports may be region free but have special features in SD PAL.
post #847 of 1612 Old 08-14-2009, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's my prototype for BSG Razor to go along with my Season Set covers. My Season 4 cover will have a variant for those who want to keep Razor within Season 4.

post #848 of 1612 Old 08-14-2009, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I would like for netflix to have season 1 on Blu.
post #849 of 1612 Old 08-14-2009, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

Nuts, I missed the group buy. Those slim cases, though...tempting

I would like to get hold of some slim cases, but the retailer doesn't support CC payments for international customers plus adds a high handling fee.

I'm in Australia and can therefore access PCX multi-disc cases (which has the same issue for USA residents wanting to buy from PCX as I do for USA slim cases).

Perhaps I can organise an exchange of PCX cases with someone in the USA who can get me slim cases. Money need not change hands if we can get equivalent exchange value, but if it is necessary, I have a PayPal account (although I'm not sure how to use it for anything apart from ebay purchases).

The only problem is that postage from Australia is hellishly expensive to the USA, which might make it uneconomic.
post #850 of 1612 Old 08-15-2009, 12:16 AM

Interesting enough I've ordered stuff from Australia, and the postage always seemed within reason. these were R4 DVDs from Australia. I have Paypal.
post #851 of 1612 Old 08-15-2009, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlock415 View Post

Interesting enough I've ordered stuff from Australia, and the postage always seemed within reason. these were R4 DVDs from Australia. I have Paypal.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so am happy to take the discussion elsewhere.

For single DVD titles that can fit in a large letter sized envelope, postage is fairly reasonable: a prepaid airmail envelope up to 125g and 20mm thickness is AUD$4.60; up to 250g is AUD$7.10.

However when sending more items as parcels, it's more expensive: a small parcel up to 500g is AUD$15.30 to USA (plus cost of bag or box).

So, sending 4 of those 6-disc Bluray cases would be $15.30+ if sent together as a parcel or $14.20 if sent separately as 2 letters.

Those cases are AUD$5 each from PCX in small quantities, plus whatever their postage costs within Australia.

Probably the group buy would be cheaper if it can be organised again.
post #852 of 1612 Old 08-15-2009, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknight View Post

Here's my prototype for BSG Razor to go along with my Season Set covers.

On the second line of synopsis text, should the "b" in "battlestar Pegasus" be capitalized?
post #853 of 1612 Old 08-15-2009, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 324
^^
good find
Other than that, the cover looks like a keeper

Steve
post #854 of 1612 Old 08-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post

On the second line of synopsis text, should the "b" in "battlestar Pegasus" be capitalized?

Actually, maybe not. they arent talking about the name of the show but the name of a battlestar. the B on the Battlestar Galactica sentence maybe should be lower case. (Never mind, that sentence is talking about the shows' name.)

Where is the grammar police when you need them...

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from

post #855 of 1612 Old 08-15-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought so too but that's how it was on the DVD cover. It seemed odd to me as well but I kept it cuz I figure they wrote the text and had it checked. If anyone finds that it should be changed to be correct, I'll gladly change it. Thanks for proofreading guys. It definitely helps me out a lot. I may release the final covers in full high resolution this weekend if I can find the proper spine width and a place to host. Thanks again guys and let me know if you find any other errors or have some suggestions for changes.
post #856 of 1612 Old 08-15-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I may release the final covers in full high resolution this weekend if I can find the proper spine width and a place to host. Thanks again guys and let me know if you find any other errors or have some suggestions for changes.

We thank you!

Steve
post #857 of 1612 Old 08-15-2009, 03:58 PM

Hi everyone,
Not sure if everyone in this thread looks at the custom cover thread but I made some custom covers for the 11mm, 2 Disc Blu ray cases.
Here are some examples:

Please note it only looks like the links I provided in the custom cover thread work on Firefox and safari browsers, I will switch to a new site when I get a chance but the site I chose allowed for the full 4-5MB file to be shared without paying for the site.
Enjoy and I am open for comments as I can still change the cover.
Thanks, Jordy
post #858 of 1612 Old 08-15-2009, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Jordy...good job.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #859 of 1612 Old 08-15-2009, 05:26 PM

Those are very nice!Plus they have the episode listings on them
post #860 of 1612 Old 08-16-2009, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm finally done! I've got them divided into four packs:

- Slim
- Slim No UPC
- Wide
- Wide No UPC

Slim is the 12 mm standard Blu Ray case and Wide is the 14 mm 6 disc case that was purchased in the group buy. A good suggestion was that the UPC wasn't needed so I made a variant where at the top there are four pictures instead of three pictures plus UPC for those who don't want the UPC code on their covers. Finally, every set includes the Razor single disc cover and two Season 4 covers, one which mentions Razor and one that doesn't so that you can choose which path you'd like to go.

Now that all this is done, I just need to know if anyone can recommend how I can distribute this? I've got them right now as high quality JPGs, but let me know if I should save them out as another format. I currently have them packed in a RAR too. Please let me know what the best format and a place where I can upload these so that I can get them out to you guys. Once I've got that info, I'll post the links to the d/l and also post one last time the covers to the forum in their final form.

Thanks everyone.
post #861 of 1612 Old 08-16-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Here's my prototype for BSG Razor to go along with my Season Set covers. My Season 4 cover will have a variant for those who want to keep Razor within Season 4.

All your covers are works of ART, keep up the great work!!
post #862 of 1612 Old 08-16-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, here is the final set of covers unless someone finds something that needs to be fixed. They are broken down into four sets depending on if you get the 12mm cases which I believe go up to 3 disc cases, or if you get the 14mm 6 disc cases that were bought in the group buy. The 14mm case is slimmer than the Blade Runner/Lost style disc cases so a new set will have to be made to accomodate the wider spine if that is needed. A few minor changes have been made since I last posted any images which include product ID #, some adjustment on where some things are, and changed text for Season 4.

Each set contains all the Seasons, BSG Razor, and the Season 4 variant covers that either mention Razor or doesn't mention it depending on how you want to create your sets. For those who don't want UPCs on their covers, I have made both 12mm and 14mm cases where the UPC is removed and replaced with another scene image.

Please let me know if anything doesn't work or needs to be changed. Hopefully this is the last time I need to spam the thread with images. I have not tested the 14mm covers with an actual case yet since mine haven't arrived but I did apply an extra 2mm to the spine in Photoshop. I have all covers in PSD format and can easily port them to any other image format that may be needed. Covers are at 3184 x 1800 resolution for the 12mm and 3208 x 1800 resolution for the 14mm cases.

Here's the download with the previews below of what they all look like. Each set is a RAR that contains the six covers that apply to which set you get.

12 mm Single(or Double or Triple) Case Set
12 mm Single(or Double or Triple) Case, No UPC Set
14 mm Slim 6 Disc Case Set
14 mm Slim 6 Disc Case, No UPC Set

Here are what the final versions look like. I've only posted the wide versions since they're the same but the spine is just wider than the slim versions.

Season 1

Season 1 No UPC

Season 2

Season 2 No UPC

Season 3

Season 3 No UPC

Season 4

Season 4 w/ Razor

Season 4 No UPC

Season 4 w/ Razor, No UPC

Battlestar Galactica: Razor

Battlestar Galactica: Razor No UPC

- Edit (8/16/09 6:30pm)
Fixed the covered up 'y' problem in the Season 2 covers
- Edit (8/16/09 10:55pm)
Fixed wrong id # on Season 4 14mm covers, preview is still wrong but image is correct in rar.
-Edit (8/17/09 1:25pm)
Fixed wrong title Islanded in a Stream of Stars on Season 4 cover, preview is still wrong but image is correct in rar.
post #863 of 1612 Old 08-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

What happened to the "y" in "humanity" in the first sentence of the synopsis found on the back of Season Two?
post #864 of 1612 Old 08-16-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What happened to the "y" in "humanity" in the first sentence of the synopsis found on the back of Season Two?

Damn, I knew I was going to miss something. It happened when I was cleaning up the PSDs and removing layers that were no longer being used. One layer got reoroganized to a wrong priority level and that got covered up. I'm fixing it now and will fix the stuff in the post in a few min once I got it all uploaded. Thanks for spotting that.

-Edit
Ok, I fixed the problem. Redownload if you already got them. Hopefully that's the last error.
post #865 of 1612 Old 08-16-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Ok, here is the final set of covers unless someone finds something that needs to be fixed.

These are frakkin' awesome! Thanks for putting them together. Can't wait for my 6-disc cases now.
post #866 of 1612 Old 08-16-2009, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok so I'm just going to pass on the set I ordered from DD for $150 and pony of the extra $20 for the UK set it's identical to the US set, region free, and has an episode guide.

from homecinemachoice.com
Quote:

Anton van Beek - 13 August 2009 - 11:37am
Unfortunately, we don't received finished copies to review from - in this case it was just a pile of 20 pre-release Blu-ray checkdiscs in CD-style casings bound together with elastic bands - so I hadn't actually seen the booklet pictured in the shots of the packaging at the time of writing.

However, I have since contacted Universal Pictures on your behalf and received an email in response stating that both the DVD and Blu-ray boxsets include a 36-page booklet containing 'episode & bonus guide, glossary of terms, and character bios'. I hope this helps.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #867 of 1612 Old 08-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Damn, I knew I was going to miss something. It happened when I was cleaning up the PSDs and removing layers that were no longer being used.

Are the PSDs inside the RAR files? Will you make the PSDs available?

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
post #868 of 1612 Old 08-16-2009, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkedgex View Post

Are the PSDs inside the RAR files? Will you make the PSDs available?

No, only the images and a small text file with a bit of info is inside the RARs. From what I can tell, people typically don't release PSDs for covers plus the PSDs are pretty big. Between 35 to 45 megs per, and almost a total of 350 megs for all of them. Not too easy to distribute I would imagine compared to just the images which only about 9 megs per cover set. Is there a reason you need the PSDs? Something you want changed?
post #869 of 1612 Old 08-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

No, only the images and a small text file with a bit of info is inside the RARs. From what I can tell, people typically don't release PSDs for covers plus the PSDs are pretty big. Between 35 to 45 megs per, and almost a total of 350 megs for all of them. Not too easy to distribute I would imagine compared to just the images which only about 9 megs per cover set. Is there a reason you need the PSDs? Something you want changed?

The PSDs should compress fairly well (you might try 7zip), plus I was thinking of using them as a starting point to having them professionally printed (and it'd be nice to have the assets all together in one file so it can be worked with in Adobe Illustrator).

Speaking of distribution, it's times like this that I wish there were a torrent site for exchanging custom covers. That would easily address the issue of space/bandwidth. =)

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
post #870 of 1612 Old 08-17-2009, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Darknight, have you posted them somewhere for download yet?

Steve
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page