Battlestar Galactica Complete Series - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Blu-ray Software > Battlestar Galactica Complete Series
rdclark's Avatar rdclark 07:19 AM 04-15-2009
So if it's "complete," it would consist of a 13-episode season and 3 20-episode seasons, plus the miniseries, Razor, The Plan, and a whole passel of webisodes. There is also an unusual amount of material in the form of commentaries, video blogs, interviews, and text, all produced and distributed by the SciFi Channel during the run of the show, that would be easily accommodated by Blu-ray, and that I hope would be included.

Setting aside "manufacturer's suggested retail," to me the selling price that would get me to buy this would be around $150.

And I think that's a fantasy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

stumlad's Avatar stumlad 07:32 AM 04-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

So if it's "complete," it would consist of a 13-episode season and 3 20-episode seasons, plus the miniseries, Razor, The Plan, and a whole passel of webisodes. There is also an unusual amount of material in the form of commentaries, video blogs, interviews, and text, all produced and distributed by the SciFi Channel during the run of the show, that would be easily accommodated by Blu-ray, and that I hope would be included.

Setting aside "manufacturer's suggested retail," to me the selling price that would get me to buy this would be around $150.

And I think that's a fantasy.

Especially with the blu-ray tax.

Right now the MSRP of the DVD sets are (60) S1 + (50+50) S2 + 60 (S3) + (50+50) S4. Then there's Razor and the mini series. Right there, just on DVD, the MSRP is over $350.

Right now you can get the DVD sets for 35-40 at regular stores, and I saw some of the older seasons for $20 at Costco.

From this point forward, I'm pulling numbers out my arse, but:

Even with that, I really doubt they will price the blu-ray set at $399 or higher. I wouldn't see them rationalizing it for more than $399.

What makes sense to me is a price point around $299-349, with the DVD set being $50+ cheaper. At these prices, you can expect the actual street value to be $200-$250 for the blu-ray set and $150-200 for the DVD set.
thorr's Avatar thorr 07:39 AM 04-15-2009
Pugnax555's Avatar Pugnax555 07:49 AM 04-15-2009
To be fair, the miniseries is included with Season 1, and Razor is included with Season 4.0. And while you quoted MSRP, you can pick up the DVD sets for ~$30 for the full seasons and ~$20 for the half seasons on sale (or add ~$5-10 for non-sale prices).

I think that they'll price this full Blu-ray set in the $250-300 range, which unfortunately means sales will be pretty abysmal. But I'm glad to have them prove me wrong!
cobolisdead's Avatar cobolisdead 03:37 PM 04-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr View Post

Latest info:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...e-Series/11699

Neat box.
CalgaryCowboy's Avatar CalgaryCowboy 08:09 PM 04-15-2009
I just hope they release complete seasons individually. I have season 1 HD DVD and don't think I need to double dip yet. Also there is no need for season 2.0,2.5 ect on Blu-ray and if done that way will also be a deal breaker.
Rigby Reardon's Avatar Rigby Reardon 11:40 AM 04-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryCowboy View Post

I just hope they release complete seasons individually. I have season 1 HD DVD and don't think I need to double dip yet. Also there is no need for season 2.0,2.5 ect on Blu-ray and if done that way will also be a deal breaker.

I'm in the same boat. But if you look at the TVShowsonDVD link above you will see a screenshot that says "Each individual season also available", so chances are pretty good that this will also be the case for the BD version. I think they are aware that not everybody will want to shell out $$$ for some mega boxset with a toy figure ...
thorr's Avatar thorr 01:23 PM 04-16-2009
Is there a way to remove "Rumor" from the thread title? I tried, but it just edited the first post. Thanks.
Maxx_75's Avatar Maxx_75 02:33 PM 04-16-2009
A moderator has to do it. The Best way is to report your own first post and ask.
Kevin M. Dean's Avatar Kevin M. Dean 03:13 PM 04-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

"Each individual season also available", so chances are pretty good that this will also be the case for the BD version.

That's a big assumption considering it's easy to say that for the dvd since they are already available.
JJ79's Avatar JJ79 07:41 AM 04-17-2009
Quote:

So if it's "complete," it would consist of a 13-episode season and 3 20-episode seasons, plus the miniseries, Razor, The Plan, and a whole passel of webisodes.

I'd love for The Plan to be included, but that doesn't even premiere until the fall. I don't think this is going to be a Caprica-type thing where The Plan is on disc before SciFi gets it.
Rutgar's Avatar Rutgar 09:11 AM 04-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryCowboy View Post

I have the HD DVD as well. But I will be buying the complete box set. Although we don't know for sure yet, I'll bet the box set collectively will be much less than all of the rest of BSG on BD individually, sans Season 1.
stumlad's Avatar stumlad 09:00 AM 04-18-2009
It's up for pre-order on amazon. MSRP is $349... I was pretty close in my estimate. DVD set looks to be $279.
paku's Avatar paku 09:17 AM 04-18-2009
I wasn't expecting anything else but I still have to say it: damn that's expensive. Hoping they release it in Europe as well because the import duty/tax alone would be pretty bad on this.
vanilla rice's Avatar vanilla rice 09:41 AM 04-18-2009
Quote:

It's up for pre-order on amazon. MSRP is $349... I was pretty close in my estimate.

to clarify, the MSRP is $350, the actual price is $245
Pugnax555's Avatar Pugnax555 09:41 AM 04-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

It's up for pre-order on amazon. MSRP is $349... I was pretty close in my estimate. DVD set looks to be $279.

Ouch! I really hope the execs don't sit there scratching their heads wondering why it doesn't sell too well....
cobolisdead's Avatar cobolisdead 10:01 AM 04-18-2009
Ouch! That is mite too high for me. I guess I have some time to save up for it though.
erkq's Avatar erkq 10:08 AM 04-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla rice View Post

to clarify, the MSRP is $350, the actual price is $245

Even so... oof! Pass..
erkq's Avatar erkq 10:17 AM 04-18-2009
On second thought, I've got a "bulb" jar I throw a few dollars in each time I watch a movie. It's got $217 in it. Maybe I can raid that and put up with a dimmer pic for a while!
rdclark's Avatar rdclark 11:36 AM 04-18-2009
I'm not really that interested in re-buying S1-3 anyway. I have S1 on HD-DVD. I can stand to watch S2-3 upconverted. If I can get the complete S4 for $60-ish on BD, I'll settle for that.
Rigby Reardon's Avatar Rigby Reardon 01:34 PM 04-18-2009
Quote:

I'm not really that interested in re-buying S1-3 anyway. I have S1 on HD-DVD. I can stand to watch S2-3 upconverted. If I can get the complete S4 for $60-ish on BD, I'll settle for that.

The 4.5 "half season" is alsoup for preorder. But it's $69.98 SRP (I hate this "half season" ripoff ). At least it gives some hope that the other seasons might also be available individually ...
SC0TLANDF0REVER's Avatar SC0TLANDF0REVER 05:08 PM 04-19-2009
I'm torn - I really want this series on BD.
However, that's a significant chunk of change... I might wait till possible Holiday sales.
kdssrugby's Avatar kdssrugby 06:09 PM 04-19-2009
I'm surprised no one's posted this yet (via EngadgetHD):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001993Y2C/

So the whole shebang will be $245 after the Amazon discount. Not bad considering I paid $60 for the first season on HD DVD.
conan48's Avatar conan48 07:03 PM 04-19-2009
I used to order alot of stuff from Amazon.com and liked the fact that there was no tax. When shipping went up I stopped shopping at Amazon.com but I really wan't to pre-order the BSG complete series and Im wondering if it's a good idea to buy from them still. It has a special pre-order price that is 100 less the MSRP.
shinksma's Avatar shinksma 07:27 PM 04-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby View Post

So the whole shebang will be $245 after the Amazon discount. Not bad considering I paid $60 for the first season on HD DVD.

um, post#106, and one a bit earlier. Just no linky.

shinksma
kdssrugby's Avatar kdssrugby 07:42 PM 04-19-2009
Whoops, didn't see that. Sorry.
dashielm's Avatar dashielm 07:46 PM 04-19-2009
it's what about 60 hours worth of content (probably a bit more when you take in to account extended cuts of various episodes and webisodes)

$250/60 = $4 per hour of entertainment

lost season 1
$50/18 = $2.7 per hour of entertainment

south park season 12
$47/5 = $9.4 per hour of entertainment

sin city
$25/2 = $12 per hour of entertainment

terminator 2(original release)
$11.5/2.2 = $5 per hour of entertainment

so while it's expensive it's not outrageous when you look at it in terms of original content to cost.
kdssrugby's Avatar kdssrugby 07:49 PM 04-19-2009
I personally wouldn't. I likewise used to use them up until the summer when our dollar took a hit. If you do pre-order it from Amazon.com you're looking at about an extra $50 when you convert the dollar plus duty (probably around $10-$20) plus shipping which will be no less than $13. The duty and shipping will also be in US $ so you have to covert that. So basically you'll be paying about $330 Canadian and I can guarantee you that Futureshop or Bestbuy will have a deal (for the first week at least) which I would guess would be closer to $280-$290. And don't bother with Amazon.ca as they price match Futureshop but you also have to factor in the shipping cost.

Also if you don't pre-order it you'll be able to get if for cheaper than Amazon + have it the same day + you'll be able to check out any reviews (which you might read after your pre-order has shipped). As hard as it it is to say, it's better to wait.
HDMe2's Avatar HDMe2 08:40 PM 04-19-2009
In my mind there's also a distinct difference between what a show is worth and what I'm willing to pay.

I wholeheartedly recognize the value of a show like this, and the $ per entertained hour is a good way to compare values. Typically a good TV show, to me, has a much better ratio of less $ per hour and a good bit more re-watchability than most movies too.

That said, it's hard for me to plunk down $250 on one thing, especially when it will take me months to actually get the time to watch that one thing completely... whereas if I could buy it in portions, I would be less likely to notice the high price.

Paying $50 every couple of months for a series of 5 series is easier on the eyes/budget than paying $250 and getting it all up front (note, I know there aren't 5 seasons in BSG but the math was easier if I pretended).

So while $250 isn't unreasonable... if I don't have some discount coupons or store credits or something, I'll probably be waiting for the price to come down a bit.
UxiSXRD's Avatar UxiSXRD 10:50 PM 04-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby View Post

$9.99 at Frys right now. Thinking I'll do that to tide me over until the pricing is more reasonable (or there are separate seasons available).
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop