post #1561 of 1612 Old 08-14-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

The issue I am experiencing is a flicker but there is also a level of grain or interference mixed in that changes every few seconds. It looks like white noise added in. So in any scenes in space, it's especially noticeable. If I change to 720p, the issue is gone.

I'll try changing HDMI cables. The thing is, there is a big difference in sharpness going from 720p to 1080p and I never expected this to be the case. The only thing is that the white noise/sparkles/interference is messing up the picture so much so that it's practically unwatchable.

It's one thing to experience the grain that this box set has. But to have the extra interference added on top ruins it. Hopefully tonight I'll be able to take some pics of the issues. I really, really, REALLY hope that it isn't the box set that I have, since I imported mine and it cost me an arm and a leg.

If the cable isn't spec'd to full 1080p, it should show up on other 1080p BDs as well, but may not with DVD, 720p, or 1080i material. If you have any, try some other BDs before buying a new cable. If it's interference or degradation related to cable length or electrical wiring, temporarily moving the player closer to the PJ and hooking it up with a shorter length, should tell you what you need to know.

With large front projection the difference between full 1080p with BD and 720p is substantial for sure. However, many components don't convert 1080p to 720p optimally, resulting in an image that is essentially 540p. Such is so deleterious to the signal it can mask even more severe video issues, but with an even steeper price to resolution than more efficient downsampling to 720p.

I own the domestic release of BSG and can safely rule out your problem being the discs with those. And I've seen similar issues to what you describe that were always component related, never source related as they were initially assumed by some. That said, hearing about others problems with the UK release, I'm having doubts. If the issue is unique to this set, maybe it's somehow related to the European PAL standard, which I don't really know enough about to speculate. As the domestic BDs were all 24p rather than 60p, PAL shouldn't have anything to do with it. But that's not to say that the international discs weren't somehow botched or used an inferior source. I've imported over a dozen BDs from the UK and haven't experienced any similar problems myself, but they were all 24p film encoded and presumably sourced.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1612 Old 08-14-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 210
The UK discs are literally the exact same platters as the North American BD's.
post #1563 of 1612 Old 08-15-2010, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I tried changing HDMI inputs and I think the interference has gone. I'm using a 2m QED 1080p cable. Wow....QED, but no really, it's cheap, and according to the box it's full 1080p HDMI 1.3. I'm also not using HDMI switching. So far I've just done quick tests connecting the projector to the blu-ray player (Panasonic BD35 -- does support 24p ).

I'll test again tonight to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me. I'm borrowing the Optoma HD20 from work so I've only been able to watch snippets of the show but I can't imagine watching this show on a 42" of 50" Full HD set. I blew the image up to around 2.4m on a plain white wall and the image detail and sharpness was unbelievable. I can only imagine how much better the image will look on a proper screen.

I watched the entire series on my PC and the episodes themselves were highly compressed 350mb each. So yeah, you kind of expect to be mind blown but it's the tiny details that really impresses. I think if I'm going to watch this show I have to watch it on a projector. I've got a Studio 100 v5 set up so that helps as well for the immersion factor.
post #1564 of 1612 Old 09-08-2010, 03:27 AM

Sorry for taking so long, my life has been put on hold. I tried a number of episodes, and the interference (looks like a layer of white grain...that flashes...). In some episodes it's absolutely terrible. Others, not so bad.

But if I select 720p on the blu-ray player the issue goes away, problem is, the picture loses a lot of it's sharpness as a result. I have not seen any issues on other blu-ray disks, so I'm worried now that my blu-ray boxset has a bum transfer.

I can't imagine how that could be the case but I don't know what else to try. I've tried changing cables and changing inputs, yesterday in fact, with no improvement or change. I can't imagine that my blu-ray player has an issue specific to Battlestar Galactica but not to any other disks. I mean, I have no idea, but I suspect that my box set might be to blame.

I know some people have experienced a flashing pulse of light...as the scene progresses, I get this very dim flash even when I'm not experiencing the white noise/grain. It's not bad at all, but I've noticed it now on a few episodes.
post #1565 of 1612 Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

Sorry for taking so long, my life has been put on hold. I tried a number of episodes, and the interference (looks like a layer of white grain...that flashes...). In some episodes it's absolutely terrible. Others, not so bad.

But if I select 720p on the blu-ray player the issue goes away, problem is, the picture loses a lot of it's sharpness as a result. I have not seen any issues on other blu-ray disks, so I'm worried now that my blu-ray boxset has a bum transfer.

I can't imagine how that could be the case but I don't know what else to try. I've tried changing cables and changing inputs, yesterday in fact, with no improvement or change. I can't imagine that my blu-ray player has an issue specific to Battlestar Galactica but not to any other disks. I mean, I have no idea, but I suspect that my box set might be to blame.

I know some people have experienced a flashing pulse of light...as the scene progresses, I get this very dim flash even when I'm not experiencing the white noise/grain. It's not bad at all, but I've noticed it now on a few episodes.

It wouldn't be a bad "transfer". All sets have identical transfers. A couple possibilities:
- Sharpness setting on your tv could be too high (probably not the case if you don't notice this on any other discs)

- player compatibility with the discs. I use to have an older player (~1 year) and started to have problems playing some Universal titles. It first started happening with BSG. A firmware update helped a lot.

- A bad connection somewhere between the player and the TV?

If the discs are bad, they should simply not work. You would get jittering, freezing or unreadable errors. If you can, try and test one of the troublesome episodes in another player. That would be the best way to isolate the problem.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that there is intentional film grain with BSG. Some scenes it's more noticeable than others. Some people find it distracting, but it shouldn't be at the level you seem to be experiencing. The grain would be more apparent at 1080p than at 720p.
post #1566 of 1612 Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that there is intentional film grain with BSG. Some scenes it's more noticeable than others. Some people find it distracting, but it shouldn't be at the level you seem to be experiencing. The grain would be more apparent at 1080p than at 720p.

I know about the intentional grain. But at times the entire image is covered by white grain which is accompanied by a flash of light; this flashing of light varies but it changes depending on the scene. Heck, in one or two sequences (season 3, the boxing match), the grain was so bad, you almost couldn't see a thing ! I'm not talking about the film grain. I'm talking about something entirely different.
post #1567 of 1612 Old 09-08-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 210
goneten, I still think you're seeing something related to the 'flicker' that I and others have seen, only something in your chain is making it much worse.

It's actually encoded into the video, too. If I take it through frame by frame on a shot that's flickering, 1 frame out of each 24 is significantly brighter than the rest.

Oh, it only appears from S3 onwards. You should not be getting this artefact on anything before that.
post #1568 of 1612 Old 09-08-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So any word when the Season 4 blu-ray will be released in the US?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #1569 of 1612 Old 09-23-2010, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello. I'm not here to ruffle anyone's feathers, but I'm having doubts about whether I should continue the series or not. I've seen the mini-series as well as the first five episodes and even though I can see potential in the series, I am not at all warming up to any of the characters or the overly depressing atmosphere. Is what I've seen indicative of the pace and tempo of the rest of the series?
post #1570 of 1612 Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is what I've seen indicative of the pace and tempo of the rest of the series?

Yes, allowing for some variations along the way.

And if you don't like the series' "overly depressing atmosphere" now, it ain't gonna get appreciably better overall (though there is change).

Sounds like BSG might not be for you, but that ain't no crime. Think of it as getting 70+ hours of your life back.
post #1571 of 1612 Old 09-24-2010, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penman View Post

Yes, allowing for some variations along the way.

And if you don't like the series' "overly depressing atmosphere" now, it ain't gonna get appreciably better overall (though there is change).

Sounds like BSG might not be for you, but that ain't no crime. Think of it as getting 70+ hours of your life back.

As Penman says, it ain't no crime not to like BSG. But I want to point out:

Their surroundings are depressing. Their situation is depressing. Their prospects are depressing. They are in an extremely difficult situation as the pursued last remnants of humanity. And yet duty, honor, loyalty, love, respect, and much more comes from each character in different ways (well, most... Baltar? Humpf). But it's realistic, accompanied by their many human failings: addiction, drunkenness, narcissism, poor judgement, stubbornness, etc. I find the upshot inspiring, uplifting... a message of basic flawed humanity managing to survive an extremely difficult situation because of love, loyalty and selflessness.
post #1572 of 1612 Old 09-24-2010, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

I love the depressing atmosphere of BSG!!!, and it gets worse!!!

Genius is an insult to my intelligence!

post #1573 of 1612 Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 PM

Have looked through most of the pages here, are there any comparison pics between dvd and bluray?
post #1574 of 1612 Old 09-24-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohan View Post

Have looked through most of the pages here, are there any comparison pics between dvd and bluray?

I don't have any comparisons at the ready, but I do remember the DVD being surprisingly good. But I got the Blu-ray. I'd be interested in comparisons too.
post #1575 of 1612 Old 09-24-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohan View Post

Blu-ray picture is often grainy because how how the produced wanted how the feel of the show. But the picture quality is far better than DVD edition. The audio quality is way above the DVD version. I have both Blu-ray and DVD edition and I'll say Blu-ray version is worth it.
post #1576 of 1612 Old 09-24-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 View Post

Hello. I'm not here to ruffle anyone's feathers, but I'm having doubts about whether I should continue the series or not. I've seen the mini-series as well as the first five episodes and even though I can see potential in the series, I am not at all warming up to any of the characters or the overly depressing atmosphere. Is what I've seen indicative of the pace and tempo of the rest of the series?

Just add some opinions that replies didn't cover. If you prefer to watch scifi show that has a lot of weekly battles, then you may not like this reimagined BSG. But when there is a battle, they are always amazing and have a purpose. If you do continue watching the series, wait until the early episodes of Season 3. You aren't going to see such type of battle on other scifi show.

No one in BSG is perfect but everyone has something to contribute in the end of the series. Compared to scifi shows like Star Trek (not trying to say anything bad about Star Trek because I also like Star Trek), there is not one hero among the crew that somehow always saves the day. If you have watched BSG TOS, Apollo and Starbuck somehow always saved the day. Not so with this BSG. Everyone has ups and downs. Also, good guys and bad guys aren't completely black and white. Even the character's rank and roles change quite often by Season 3 onwards because the fleet has to do what they can with who's available to get things done. So, it's not like most shows where each character rank and role stayed mostly the same through the seasons. I'm always amused to watch shows like Star Trek where the character rank and roles are often still the same until the series ended.

I like how this BSG keeps track of little details with the ships as the season progresses. The condition of Galactica continues to delay and so with other ships. The scars on Galactica throughout the series remain you of the tough journey she and the fleet have to go through. It's not like Star Trek where the ships magically look brand new again in one or a few episodes later after a major battle.
post #1577 of 1612 Old 09-24-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

Just add some opinions that replies didn't cover. If you prefer to watch scifi show that has a lot of weekly battles, then you may not like this reimagined BSG. But when there is a battle, they are always amazing and have a purpose. If you do continue watching the series, wait until the early episodes of Season 3. You aren't going to see such type of battle on other scifi show.

No one in BSG is perfect but everyone has something to contribute in the end of the series. Compared to scifi shows like Star Trek (not trying to say anything bad about Star Trek because I also like Star Trek), there is not one hero among the crew that somehow always saves the day. If you have watched BSG TOS, Apollo and Starbuck somehow always saved the day. Not so with this BSG. Everyone has ups and downs. Also, good guys and bad guys aren't completely black and white. Even the character's rank and roles change quite often by Season 3 onwards because the fleet has to do what they can with who's available to get things done. So, it's not like most shows where each character rank and role stayed mostly the same through the seasons. I'm always amused to watch shows like Star Trek where the character rank and roles are often still the same until the series ended.

I like how this BSG keeps track of little details with the ships as the season progresses. The condition of Galactica continues to delay and so with other ships. The scars on Galactica throughout the series remain you of the tough journey she and the fleet have to go through. It's not like Star Trek where the ships magically look brand new again in one or a few episodes later after a major battle.

Good summary! To defend Star Trek's magically "new" looking ships, their universe has a large infrastructure that can repair/rebuild ships. BSG doesn't have that luxury, and so the scars remain, very realistically as you point out.
post #1578 of 1612 Old 09-24-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Good summary! To defend Star Trek's magically "new" looking ships, their universe has a large infrastructure that can repair/rebuild ships. BSG doesn't have that luxury, and so the scars remain, very realistically as you point out.

Yes, for most Star Trek series, that were true. But with Voyager where they are stuck in the middle of no where with very limited resources and crew, it was always amazing the small crew was able to completely fixed their ship quickly after several major attacks. Same as the first Enterprise when they were are very far away from Earth.

Back to BSG. When I rewatched the mini series or Season 1 of BSG, the clean look of Galactica just look alien to me because I got so used to Galactica's condition by the end of the series. Because of the details were kept throughout the seasons, I can usually tell what timeline an episode took place by looking at the condition of Galactica. One of the coolest part is when the Galactica's name emblem outside the ship was repainted like the crew tried to their flag ship appearance respectable while trying to keep the ship intact and running. The flag ship is the backbone of the fleet. It felt right listening to Adam's speech before going into the final battle.
post #1579 of 1612 Old 09-24-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:

To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of BSG until season 2. I liked the space battles early on and thought things started getting interesting toward the end of season 1, but what really hooked me was the Pegasus episode in season 2. That and the surprises at the end of seasons 2 and 3. The show started introducing some elements of classic cult television late in season 1 (Laura's visions, Kara's destiny) and followed up with the mystery over the "final five" cylons in the latter half of season 3.

The developent of the characters over all of the episodes was really something. One of my favorite episodes, "Unfinished Business" in season 3, was entirely character-driven with hardly any special effects. And while not everything was fully explained in the end of the series,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
(where did the music that turned on the final five come from???),
it was a satisfying ending, at least to me.
post #1580 of 1612 Old 09-24-2010, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, for most Star Trek series, that were true. But with Voyager where they are stuck in the middle of no where with very limited resources and crew, it was always amazing the small crew was able to completely fixed their ship quickly after several major attacks. Same as the first Enterprise when they were are very far away from Earth.

We try to forget that Voyager was a Star Trek Universe series, so I will gladly ignore the inconsistencies of that show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post

The developent of the characters over all of the episodes was really something. One of my favorite episodes, "Unfinished Business" in season 3, was entirely character-driven with hardly any special effects. And while not everything was fully explained in the end of the series
Spoiler  
(where did the music that turned on the final five come from???)
, it was a satisfying ending, at least to me.

Minor spoiler:

Spoiler  

Dude, Dylan IS God, so therefore he was just communicating to them via Hendrix-and-variations renditions in the only way he knew, 'cause music is from the soul, so he was showing the Cylons had souls. Um, or something like that. Hey, pizza! I'm starvin' man...

Indeed, that is one of the most enjoyable, or as you put it satisfying, elements of the series: not everything is neatly wrapped up, there are some unanswered questions. And a heck of a lot of unasked answers.

Glad to see this thread is still trudging along - shows the strength and depth of the series.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #1581 of 1612 Old 09-24-2010, 09:58 PM

Thanks for not getting too defensive over the series. And no I'm not into space battles at all or any action really and am watching it for the drama and politics. One of my biggest peeves is that Roslin's face seems to be stuck in a constant nervous breakdown state even on less depressing occasions, but she is my favorite character and I find her down-to-earth pragmatism and cynicism hilarious.

The good news is that I can free up my DVD queue on Netflix since they are supposedly going to start streaming BSG next week and I can watch the series on the side.
post #1582 of 1612 Old 09-24-2010, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for not getting too defensive over the series. And no I'm not into space battles at all or any action really and am watching it for the drama and politics. One of my biggest peeves is that Roslin's face seems to be stuck in a constant nervous breakdown state even on less depressing occasions, but she is my favorite character and I find her down-to-earth pragmatism and cynicism hilarious.

The good news is that I can free up my DVD queue on Netflix since they are supposedly going to start streaming BSG next week and I can watch the series on the side.

Roslin is under tremendous pressure. Her gasps, sighs and short little laughs drove me crazy, though the emotion behind them is palpable and understandable. She was one of my favorite characters too.

Starbuck grew to be my favorite. She's a very vulnerable, damaged, firey but intensely loyal and duty-bound person. A very interesting character to get to know over the seasons.

Glad you're enjoying it despite your reservations.
post #1583 of 1612 Old 09-25-2010, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seplant View Post

To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of BSG until season 2. I liked the space battles early on and thought things started getting interesting toward the end of season 1, but what really hooked me was the Pegasus episode in season 2. That and the surprises at the end of seasons 2 and 3. The show started introducing some elements of classic cult television late in season 1 (Laura's visions, Kara's destiny) and followed up with the mystery over the "final five" cylons in the latter half of season 3.

Code:
The developent of the characters over all of the episodes was really something.  One of my favorite episodes, "Unfinished Business" in season 3, was entirely character-driven with hardly any special effects.  And while not everything was fully explained in the end of the series (where did the music that turned on the final five come from???), it was a satisfying ending, at least to me.

I think that's a huge spoiler. It needs editing.

Genius is an insult to my intelligence!

post #1584 of 1612 Old 09-25-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho View Post

I think that's a huge spoiler. It needs editing.

Original post edited. Thanks for the reminder.
post #1585 of 1612 Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Blu-ray picture is often grainy because how how the produced wanted how the feel of the show. But the picture quality is far better than DVD edition. The audio quality is way above the DVD version. I have both Blu-ray and DVD edition and I'll say Blu-ray version is worth it.

This is reviving a old thread, but just re-watched the Blu-Ray version and the amount of grain is horrendous! Some shots are excellent, but some shots are so bad that I wish they would reshoot it. Wishful thinking .
post #1586 of 1612 Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

This is reviving a old thread, but just re-watched the Blu-Ray version and the amount of grain is horrendous! Some shots are excellent, but some shots are so bad that I wish they would reshoot it. Wishful thinking .

The grain was an intended look. They actually added it in there as most of the show was shot digitally.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #1587 of 1612 Old 03-20-2012, 01:13 AM

Was the pilot shot digitally as well? That seemed to have much heavier grain in places than any episode of the series that followed (although some series shots still had pretty heavy artificial grain).
post #1588 of 1612 Old 03-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Advanced Member

Man if only Ronald D Moore would make a new sci-fi show... BSG was great, and I'm just watching DS9 for the first time now (never seen it, shock horror!!!) and it is spectacular.

I know he is doing BSG Blood and Chrome but I would love to see a new sci-fi show of some sort.... good Sci-fi seems a bit thin on the ground these days. Any good shows that do crop up just get cancelled (SGU).
post #1589 of 1612 Old 03-20-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike TJG View Post

Was the pilot shot digitally as well? That seemed to have much heavier grain in places than any episode of the series that followed (although some series shots still had pretty heavy artificial grain).

It was shot on 35mm film but how it looks I wonder if it was scanned at 1K or filtered. Also there are various CG shots that look sub HD, either due to rendering at that resolution or zoomed in.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314979/technical

Thankfully most of the discs do a really good job of accurately replicating the intended look of the show; however Season 4 is problematic due to switching between AVC and VC-1 codecs resulting in a softer less fine detailed image. It almost appears as if the show has been filtered but I am pretty sure it has more to do with VC-1 not being as efficient with amount of content on each disc. Whereas all the AVC encoded episodes look great with fine detail and accurate grain retained.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #1590 of 1612 Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 AM

Liked: 12
I really , really love this series. I think this was one of the first series collection I bought for blu-ray around 2010. Loved the soundtrack, the drama and action . It isn't a show for someone looking for nonstop action, 'cause there's a lot of drama but when the action comes is well worth it. In my opinion, this TV series are better than a lot of Sci-fi movies released by Hollywood so far.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page