Akira comparison *PIX* - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 175 Old 04-10-2009, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Xylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Liecheinstein
Posts: 7,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11


Xylon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 175 Old 04-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Member
 
slip81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well it does look good, but not good enough to make me upgrade since I just found a copy of the tin case edition about a month ago. maybe when i can find it used someplace for $10 or less.
slip81 is offline  
post #153 of 175 Old 04-11-2009, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Xylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Liecheinstein
Posts: 7,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The audio dynamics (depending on your setup) on Blu-ray is worth it.
Xylon is offline  
post #154 of 175 Old 04-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Member
 
convexion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Mojave
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Softness aside, the increase in image clarity and audio quality is enough to make me triple-dip on this one.
convexion is offline  
post #155 of 175 Old 04-26-2009, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Xylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Liecheinstein
Posts: 7,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by convexion View Post

Softness aside, the increase in image clarity and audio quality is enough to make me triple-dip on this one.

I got you beat
Xylon is offline  
post #156 of 175 Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Member
 
ertoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Some DVD versions still have the original "grain" (once upscaled)....why has it been removed in the Blu-ray ? and the same with the color ; the Laserdisc has great color intensity more equal to the original cinema proyection..
...for me the BD is a little bit dissapointing
ertoil is offline  
post #157 of 175 Old 01-15-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,223
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertoil View Post

and the same with the color ; the Laserdisc has great color intensity more equal to the original cinema proyection..

Laserdisc color can't be used as a reference for anything. You'll get different color depending on which player model you use, and which output cable type you use (composite or S-video). There's no consistency in what one person will see on a Laserdisc compared to another person with the same disc.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #158 of 175 Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Member
 
ertoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Laserdisc has no digital compression, colors are more natural like original source
ertoil is offline  
post #159 of 175 Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric.exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertoil View Post

Laserdisc has no digital compression, colors are more natural like original source
Pretty sure you are trolling but the telecine transfers of the 90's used for laserdiscs are far from accurate
eric.exe is offline  
post #160 of 175 Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
Greg_R_STL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does anyone know if the British R2 disc has the same transfer? http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Akira-Blu-ray/21841/

It happens to be the cheapest one going right now.
Greg_R_STL is offline  
post #161 of 175 Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,669
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 752
I haven't watched this in a long time. I'll need to watch it one day and see how much the Darbee Darblet improves the BD picture quality.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #162 of 175 Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Greg_R_STL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I haven't watched this in a long time. I'll need to watch it one day and see how much the Darbee Darblet improves the BD picture quality.

Ok, tangent time: I'd never heard of that gadget til you mentioned it, now I can see the massive threads on it, and the thing that cracks me up is, in the first couple of pages, NO ONE can say concisely what the heck it is the thing does. I went to the site and saw some unimpressive before and after screenshots that looked like edge enhancement mixed with the Photoshop levels tool. So in one sentence, what does it do?
Greg_R_STL is offline  
post #163 of 175 Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
raoul_duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Holy thread-bump, Batman!
raoul_duke is offline  
post #164 of 175 Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Member
 
ertoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

Pretty sure you are trolling but the telecine transfers of the 90's used for laserdiscs are far from accurate

Why am i trollin ? http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=129&start=0

Akira - Criterion CAV Edition. Presented in original color scheme and original English dub (by Streamline) is included.

Does it refer to original copy color or original "Theatrical" color ?
ertoil is offline  
post #165 of 175 Old 01-16-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 21,669
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Ok, tangent time: I'd never heard of that gadget til you mentioned it, now I can see the massive threads on it, and the thing that cracks me up is, in the first couple of pages, NO ONE can say concisely what the heck it is the thing does. I went to the site and saw some unimpressive before and after screenshots that looked like edge enhancement mixed with the Photoshop levels tool. So in one sentence, what does it do?

It uses a proprietary algorithm to increase the perceived sharpness. You would have to read further into what exactly it does, but it does it's magic with zero ringing. Lumagen was so impressed with it that they will be incorporating it in their newer, high end, scalers.

I was skeptical when I first read about it until I got one. Then I ordered a second one. I had paid many times more for different devices over the last 12 years that didn't do as good a job as the darblet does. But you really need to try it to see if it's something you want. Just make sure you purchase it from someplace, like AVS, that has a good return policy in case you are not happy with the results. Although the vast majority of people seem to be pleased with the results.

It does a great job with animation so it should work well with Akira.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is online now  
post #166 of 175 Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
nathanddrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I know that a web video isn't necessarily the best to judge a product by, but "Darbee Vision" looks horrid.

http://darbeevision.com/view_news/id/24/title/DarbeeVision_Video_Demo
nathanddrews is offline  
post #167 of 175 Old 01-16-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
42041's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 3,289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Ok, tangent time: I'd never heard of that gadget til you mentioned it, now I can see the massive threads on it, and the thing that cracks me up is, in the first couple of pages, NO ONE can say concisely what the heck it is the thing does. I went to the site and saw some unimpressive before and after screenshots that looked like edge enhancement mixed with the Photoshop levels tool. So in one sentence, what does it do?
Looks like a wide-radius unsharp mask to me, which has the effect of increasing local contrast.

(sniff... i smell astroturf)
42041 is offline  
post #168 of 175 Old 01-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Greg_R_STL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I was skeptical when I first read about it until I got one. Then I ordered a second one. I had paid many times more for different devices over the last 12 years that didn't do as good a job as the darblet does. But you really need to try it to see if it's something you want. Just make sure you purchase it from someplace, like AVS, that has a good return policy in case you are not happy with the results. Although the vast majority of people seem to be pleased with the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

I know that a web video isn't necessarily the best to judge a product by, but "Darbee Vision" looks horrid.
http://darbeevision.com/view_news/id/24/title/DarbeeVision_Video_Demo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Looks like a wide-radius unsharp mask to me, which has the effect of increasing local contrast.
(sniff... i smell astroturf)

Yeah, part of me wants to see what the shiny gadget does, and part of me is thinking, if my blu-rays don't look the way they're supposed to, what did I spend my money on?
Greg_R_STL is offline  
post #169 of 175 Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
jd213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: less than 10 minutes from Akihabara
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Does anyone know if the British R2 disc has the same transfer? http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Akira-Blu-ray/21841/

It happens to be the cheapest one going right now.

It should be the exact same a/v encode but it's Region B locked as noted at that link.
jd213 is offline  
post #170 of 175 Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Greg_R_STL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 View Post

It should be the exact same a/v encode but it's Region B locked as noted at that link.

Perfect.
Greg_R_STL is offline  
post #171 of 175 Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,223
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

I know that a web video isn't necessarily the best to judge a product by, but "Darbee Vision" looks horrid.

This is not a Darblet thread. There is a Darblet thread in the Video Processors forum that is currently 180 pages long.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet

Have fun reading. We'll see you back here once you've caught up.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #172 of 175 Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
nathanddrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

This is not a Darblet thread. There is a Darblet thread in the Video Processors forum that is currently 180 pages long.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet
Have fun reading. We'll see you back here once you've caught up.

Yeah, to each his own. It sounds like a lot of people are impressed with it. As someone who tries to avoid as much processing as possible, it's clearly not the product for me.

As for as Akira goes, it looks like I should upgrade from the DVD. biggrin.gif
nathanddrews is offline  
post #173 of 175 Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 20,223
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

Yeah, to each his own. It sounds like a lot of people are impressed with it. As someone who tries to avoid as much processing as possible, it's clearly not the product for me.

That's how a lot of people feel, until they try it.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Josh Z is offline  
post #174 of 175 Old 01-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
nathanddrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

That's how a lot of people feel, until they try it.

I appreciate you looking out for me, but I'm not interested. wink.gif
nathanddrews is offline  
post #175 of 175 Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Member
 
xrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^ Yes, if you are a purest then make sure to stay away from the Darblet. I was the same way. I have my displays calibrated by top notch calibrators like UMR and DNICE to get the most accurate image I can get. No image processing was my mantra too. Until I tried one. Ended up with two. Can't watch without it now. So if you don't want to go there stay away. smile.gif
xrispy is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off