Force 10 from Navarone Coming to Blu-Ray May 12th- - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 02-25-2009, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 27

A pretty random release. Wish it was Guns of Navarone. But I look forward to picking it up nonetheless-

Quote:

from thedigitalbits.com

Some quick announcement news: MGM has just revealed four new catalog Blu-ray Disc titles for release in May (distributed by Fox): Fargo, Force 10 from Navarone and The Good The Bad and The Ugly will all street on 5/12, followed by Lions for Lambs on 5/19. Additional details will follow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 02-26-2009, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm DEFINITELY picking this one up. I remember trying to find a copy way back when...on VHS. It was out of print for YEARS. Then the non-anamorphic DVD came out.

I'm surprised this is getting such an early release. It's been out in other regions as an anamorphic DVD but it's still NON in R1.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #3 of 45 Old 02-26-2009, 05:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post

A pretty random release. Wish it was Guns of Navarone. But I look forward to picking it up nonetheless-

Yea,how do they decide on what to release ?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #4 of 45 Old 02-26-2009, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Two different studios -- MGM only has Force 10, Sony has the original. Force 10 had a slight head start on DVD too (March 2000 for Force 10, May for Guns), so I'm hoping history will repeat itself. A man can dream...
post #5 of 45 Old 02-26-2009, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Average View Post

Two different studios -- MGM only has Force 10, Sony has the original.

Sony actually owns the rights to this in other regions. They've released an anamorphic version elsewhere while MGM hasn't done a thing about the non-anamorphic release.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #6 of 45 Old 02-26-2009, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I always dug this flick as a kid. Im anticipating this release with some enthusiasm. Hope its all good!
post #7 of 45 Old 02-26-2009, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

It is weird I just did a search for The Guns of Navarone and came across this link that says it was supposed to come out in the first wave from Sony. I don't see it listed any where, so I wonder what happened to it, and if Sony has been reworking it and will be pushing it out soon. I won't buy Force 10 till I can get The Guns as I would want to watch them in order.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054953/news#ni0083548

I think Barbara could look pretty good in HD.
post #8 of 45 Old 02-26-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Give us the original!!!

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #9 of 45 Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

I just picked this one up and am fairly unimpressed. This encode is likely an old one as it is MPEG-2 at 19 mbs and barebones with only a theatrical trailer. The opening shots (taken from the original) are fairly noisy but the rest of the film is better in this regard (although noise pops up sporadically). Fine detail is almost non-existent, even in close ups, and the shadows contain very little detail. One good thing is that it has little to no EE, but I'm having a hard time telling whether it has DNR or not. I realize the cries of DNR have been frequent so I don't wish to cry wolf, but as stated there is very little detail. The only things I can think of is that either A) DNR was applied or B) the bitrate is just not high enough to resolve the detail. What causes me to lean towards the former is that night shots are relatively grain free which has me suspicious as they should contain more than day shots. Also skin tones seem overly red and saturated and not terribly natural.

So a long story short, it's likely an old encode that's likely sourced from an old master and has no detail or extras to speak of. I would recommend renting this first if you're interested. (And yes I picked this up largely because I love WWII films and because of the star studded cast, including Barbra Bach).
post #10 of 45 Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby View Post

So a long story short, it's likely an old encode that's likely sourced from an old master and has no detail or extras to speak of. I would recommend renting this first if you're interested. (And yes I picked this up largely because I love WWII films and because of the star studded cast, including Barbra Bach).

Doubtful that it's an old encode, as i've said there's no anamorphic version out there (unless they're using Sony's master).

Who the hell knows what happened? I NEVER expected to see this movie on blu so soon. Just boggles my brain.

post #11 of 45 Old 05-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

my bad Digitalfreak, I missed that post. regardless it's a poor transfer. I'll try and post some screenshots tonight once I've finished watching it in it's entirety. While I don't dispute that the anamorphic master might be relatively recent, the fact that it is MPEG-2 (the same as Ronin and a Bridge Too Far and Battle for Britain) and the fact that the trailers on the disc are for Rocky, Hart's War and Hoosiers make me think that the disc was held back a year or two.
post #12 of 45 Old 05-12-2009, 10:43 PM

Just watched the movie tonight along with "The Good The bad the Ugly" both are mediocre transfers at best.
post #13 of 45 Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, here's some screen caps for people to judge for themselves. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the dvd so I can't do any comparisons.
Group #1:

Group #2:

Group #3:

Group #4:
post #14 of 45 Old 05-13-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I don't give a s#it about its bitrate or the codec used. The image here is not splashy and vibrant, but it does seem to have retained a grainy film-like appearence and is unquestionably a monumental leap in quality over the 4:3 letterboxed R1 DVD. This is the first issue of this particular film that has been at all watchable on a large screen. Looks fine to me (as does TGTBATU) and I don't regret the purchase one bit.
post #15 of 45 Old 05-13-2009, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 185
^^^^ Yes. This is an old favorite of mine and I'll have it tomorrow.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #16 of 45 Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Fair enough. I enjoyed the film myself and don't doubt that it is a phenomenal improvement over the dvd, I guess I've gotten spoiled by other films of a similar age that have been given a little more TLC. And at $20 CDN I don't feel like I threw my money away.
post #17 of 45 Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 PM

I was wrong. The disc is at my front door! I'll should be able to watch it tonight.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #18 of 45 Old 05-14-2009, 03:47 AM

I watched this last night. It was nice to see the movies again. PQ looks like the screen caps. It looks like they just used the master that was laying around and AVC encoded it. No "monkey business" trying to "fix" things that leads to issues (as opposed to restoring the film elements, making a new DI, etc.). Don't know if it was my imagination or not but the PQ seemed to get better later in the movie. May have been due to more daytime/lighted scenes or getting used to it, don't know. It's the best disc so far we have to see the movie.

larry

post #19 of 45 Old 05-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Just saw it on my 92 in. FP set-up. Definitely looks like a fairly recent transfer (this decade LOL - and definitely NOT the master used for the DVD). Not an eye-popping image, but IMHO it is source and optics-related from the anamorphic lenses. Grain was visible at times, which was welcome as I didn't see a Madame Toussaud/DNR smearfest. I agree - poor shadow detail and crushed blacks, but very watchable on larger screens IMHO.

The first 30 min or so are night scenes and/or day-for-night (along with stock aerial combat footage and footage from Guns of Navarone that's a few generations removed), so it does get better as the film progresses.

Cracking good yarn, although it's no Guns Of Navarone. Love seeing Robert Shaw and Harrison Ford together.

I Netflixed it, but will pick it up - best I've ever seen this film on home video (and probably looks about as good as the print I saw back in '78).
post #20 of 45 Old 05-15-2009, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I watched this last night. It was nice to see the movies again. PQ looks like the screen caps. It looks like they just used the master that was laying around and AVC encoded it. No "monkey business" trying to "fix" things that leads to issues (as opposed to restoring the film elements, making a new DI, etc.). Don't know if it was my imagination or not but the PQ seemed to get better later in the movie. May have been due to more daytime/lighted scenes or getting used to it, don't know. It's the best disc so far we have to see the movie.

larry

Wait...so is it AVC or MPEG2?

post #21 of 45 Old 05-15-2009, 05:41 AM

Since I said AVC already, I guess it was but I could have not remembered correctly.

larry

post #22 of 45 Old 05-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

The package says MPEG-2 and that's what Powerdvd 8 says it is.
post #23 of 45 Old 05-15-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:

The package says MPEG-2 and that's what Powerdvd 8 says it is.

No surprise I remembered wrong. Getting old, ya know..

larry

post #24 of 45 Old 05-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

It happens to the best of us. Heck I have those moments and I'm only 21. Out of curiosity, did the dvd version have any special features? Or was the film really so unpopular that the studio didn't feel that it was warranted?
Edit: Checking out the wikipedia page I see that since the film is 125min long it is the restored version and not the shortened theatrical version, thank god for that.
post #25 of 45 Old 05-15-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:

It happens to the best of us. Heck I have those moments and I'm only 21. Out of curiosity, did the dvd version have any special features? Or was the film really so unpopular that the studio didn't feel that it was warranted?
Edit: Checking out the wikipedia page I see that since the film is 125min long it is the restored version and not the shortened theatrical version, thank god for that.

LOL! I doesn't get better as you get older. I'm pretty sure I have the DVD, I'll have to pop it in if I think of it this weekend.

larry

post #26 of 45 Old 05-15-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually...there are still scenes/shots in the shortened version that are not in the longer version. One of the actors voices is COMPLETELY different in the longer version. I tried to snip out the scenes from the shortened version that weren't in the longer one when I got the anamorphic DVD and it was impossible. The editing is almost completely different in some scenes.

post #27 of 45 Old 05-15-2009, 05:02 PM

I had a cool action figure play set from this movie when I was a kid. I barely remember it but do remember it was my favorite thing at the time. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
post #28 of 45 Old 05-15-2009, 05:07 PM

ahhh here it is:

post #29 of 45 Old 05-16-2009, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post

ahhh here it is:

Picture not working

post #30 of 45 Old 05-16-2009, 05:38 AM

pic works fine now. Nice! That reminds me of some of the "army men" sets I had as a kid in the early 60's.

larry

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page