"Let the Right One In" impressions? WARNING: May contain spoilers. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 775 Old 03-12-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Teisco the filmmakers wanted to leave things like that open for the viewer himself to decide.

But the author (and scriptwriter) said in the commentary that he hated the view that you pointed out in your last sentence.

But if I can quote Alfredson: Explanations for a movie is what sunlight is to vampires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 775 Old 03-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, your correct; a movie that leaves thought and questions is to be treasured.
post #93 of 775 Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Watched this last night and enjoyed it. I was not blown away or anything, but it was a very good rental IMO.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #94 of 775 Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

The commentary is in swedish, and I havnt found any english subs for it. I did some recap on IMDB for it. But I can post it here aswell. With one edit that I leave as lone spoiler.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

Hakan is "The Mr Bean of serial killers"

The "famous" shoot of Eli was a doll.

They had read alot on internet forums and
* Oscars dad is not gay
* Its not a vampire in the locker room, its one of the bullies.

The writer forgot in the book that Eli must be invited in to the hospital, so he thought in retrospect that she didnt need invitation in public places. They did however add an invitation in the movie in post. And the one that invites her is Lindqvist himself. But he did say that the same thing happens in the movie when Eli didnt need an invitation in the swimminghall.

Alfredson play that angry neighbour that screams to them to be quiet.

The english audience laugh when they saw the sign on the Bathhouse spelled BAD. (Bad = Bath in swedish)

They though Eli was nasty when she used her innocense to get a victim.

They director asked the writer if Eli was in the cab at the end, and the writer replys: of course why shouldnt she be in the cab. Dir: Well maybe its just Oscar that believes she is in the cab.

Eli tries to be human, by using much more clothes during the movie.

Avoid cats in a movie, they bring more problems then they solve.

Ok this is a spoiler that is worse then a spoiler, read it only if you have to. But it gives away details that isnt obvious if you just watched the movie. It may even change your view of the movie...

Spoiler  

The writer refered Eli as "She or He"

Thanks for the synopsis and your other contributions to this thread! I wish the director could've done the commentary for the U.S. disc too, since he seemed pretty fluent in English in the featurette.
post #95 of 775 Old 03-12-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpags View Post

Thanks for the synopsis and your other contributions to this thread! I wish the director could've done the commentary for the U.S. disc too, since he seemed pretty fluent in English in the featurette.

Always a pleasure to help

As for the director commentery in english.

I dont know, the featurette is very edited

I think a 2hours commentary with him, had labeled this movie as a horror movie.
post #96 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

That last spoiler MovieSwede posted was pretty obvious IMO if you're paying attention while watching the movie...I didn't think that part was left ambiguous at all.
post #97 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Terrific thread....I waited to read through it until I saw the movie last night, which I loved.

Concentrating on picture and sound:

I enjoyed watching this film in a small home theater setting vs a commercial theater. I think the film's smaller story and isolation lends itself to the intimate atmosphere of the home. The use of natural sound amped up (snow storm and swirling winds) (similar to David Lynch) really was enhanced for the HT surround enviroment. I didn't realize how much it creeped me out, until I watched one of the special features that used the snow storm sound. I felt the urge to turn on the lights.

The image quality was terrific too...maybe too good, since some of the CGI effects looked cheesey and took me out of the film....but the extended nights and cold isolation of the village was beautifully captured in the film.

My wife hates to be scared, but this is a film that's more than just a horror movie (as many have already stated)...captures the sad and disquieting elements of puberty and a child hitting the preteen years.
post #98 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a great interview with the director. Please be warned it discusses the movie in detail and contains spoilers

http://www.iconsoffright.com/IV_Tomas.htm

One item I found interesting was the disturbing element of the El (obviously being older, but in the body of a 12 yo) and her relationship the Oskar. And, the blood supplier and his age difference to El from a physical stand point. The unstated element of pedophilia (SP?).
post #99 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

^Thanks for the link. Excellent read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

...I enjoyed watching this film in a small home theater setting vs a commercial theater. I think the film's smaller story and isolation lends itself to the intimate atmosphere of the home. The use of natural sound amped up (snow storm and swirling winds) (similar to David Lynch) really was enhanced for the HT surround enviroment. I didn't realize how much it creeped me out, until I watched one of the special features that used the snow storm sound. I felt the urge to turn on the lights.

I agree totally about the intimate home setting working to it's advantage. Just leaving the main menu on in the dark creeped me out
post #100 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc3000 View Post

That last spoiler MovieSwede posted was pretty obvious IMO if you're paying attention while watching the movie...I didn't think that part was left ambiguous at all.

Spoiler  
Judging by a particular "shot" in the movie, it didn't appear to be a boy... perhaps it "was" a girl, but now it's a "vampire" which doesn't qualify as boy or girl. Am I missing something?

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #101 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

Spoiler  
Judging by a particular "shot" in the movie, it didn't appear to be a boy... perhaps it "was" a girl, but now it's a "vampire" which doesn't qualify as boy or girl. Am I missing something?

I agree. The shot you are referring to and the comments El makes about herself, left me to wonder, without "certainty". I could accept either answer as making sense. Maybe in the "world of the vampire" the physical body changes as such that the line is blurred?

Either way, like many good movies, I'm left to want to watch it again (right away) to see what I may have ignored/missed the first time. It's a haunting film that I can't stop thinking about. The last time I remember that feeling was after "There will be Blood"
post #102 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I agree. The shot you are referring to and the comments El makes about herself, left me to wonder, without "certainty". I could accept either answer as making sense. Maybe in the "world of the vampire" the physical body changes as such that the line is blurred?

Either way, like many good movies, I'm left to want to watch it again (right away) to see what I may have ignored/missed the first time. It's a haunting film that I can't stop thinking about. The last time I remember that feeling was after "There will be Blood"

Read the wiki... it explains it a bit better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_the_Right_One_In_(film)
post #103 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

This is one of the things I liked most about the movie - i.e. the purposeful ambiguity of a number of plot points and character realizations that allows one to draw multiple conclusions (and apparently these are not so ambiguous but rather spelled out in uncomfortable detail in the book).

However, regarding "the shot" I agree with what other have said and the sole purpose of its inclusion is
Spoiler  
to show that Eli is indeed a castrated boy.

Still, even when given not so subtle hints like this, there's still enough wiggle room to give things your own spin. The ending is a particularly fun place to speculate:

Option 1:
Spoiler  
Eli's main purpose was to groom Oskar as a successor to Håkan to be her new human servant. She may still love him, but perhaps just as a pet and she coldly manipulated him to think that that their relationship was stronger than it really is.

Option 2:
Spoiler  
Eli was not present at the pool and she is not on the train. Oskar has flipped a switch and become a serial killer in his own right - a path that he was headed down already, but helped along with a not so gentle push from Eli and the things she taught him.
post #104 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Guys for the links.

Cinema Squid:

All excellent points. On your last spoiler comment, I thought about that as a possibility. The almost trance like state that Oskar takes on when confronted with violence...reality and visually what we see may not be the same.

Again, one of these films that will stay with me. I'm going to pick up the book and read it on my next business trip.
post #105 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was really captivated by this movie when I watched it last night. I think the use of children as the main characters, as well as the relationship that develops between them, really sets it apart from the mainstream vampire movies. This movie worked well on many levels, from the cold stark environment it was shot in, to the enhanced audio effects in the soundtrack. It will be interesting to see if Matt Reeves' "Americanized" verision can improve on this story.
post #106 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks Guys for the links.

Thank you for the recommendation of a movie I've never heard of!
post #107 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Watched it for a second time last night and this film really holds up well.

It's right up there with Eyes Without A Face on my "beautiful horror movies" list.

On blu-ray you can really feel those LOW frequency pulses in certain scenes and the dialogue is so crisp and clear. Makes me cold just thinking about it.

Seems like we get around one very good horror movie every year and this is the one for 2008. ( a shame there's not more).

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #108 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All excellent points. On your last spoiler comment, I thought about that as a possibility. The almost trance like state that Oskar takes on when confronted with violence...reality and visually what we see may not be the same.

In the commentery, the director does mention that theory, but the scriptwriter/bookauthor (who also was in the commentary) said he hated that interpretation.

But as the film is made for the audience to do its own interpretation, no one can say that its wrong to see it that way. The film took on a life of its own.

Quote:

Again, one of these films that will stay with me. I'm going to pick up the book and read it on my next business trip.

And the book will be much more clear on "my spoiler". But the film is not the book, and it leaves both ways open for yourself to decide.

Here is my view on it.

Spoiler  

I didnt read the book, before I saw it in theater. I never got the gender issue, I did even thought we saw her from behind because it came so fast. So they only thing I could read out of it, was that something horrible had happend to her. It wasnt until after I heard what the shoot was about, but as my first impression is the one that last. I dont see Eli as anything but a girl.
post #109 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Another interview with the director. This one from Chud.com

http://www.chud.com/articles/article...-IN/Page1.html

Please note the Chud interviewer covered spoiler material with black boxes, so you could still read the interview without ruining the unseen film

Ron
post #110 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 03:44 PM

does any picture comparison between the nodic AVC and the US VC-1 version exist?
post #111 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 05:18 PM

I can't believe I'm making a post about the cover of a movie but the DVD versions has a way cooler cover, I saw it at Target today

This was my favorite movie last year, got it on Wednesday and haven't even had a chance to watch it yet!
post #112 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshschw View Post

I can't believe I'm making a post about the cover of a movie but the DVD versions has a way cooler cover, I saw it at Target today

This was my favorite movie last year, got it on Wednesday and haven't even had a chance to watch it yet!

Lucky you! I'm still waiting for mine to ship.

Blu since '07

post #113 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Squid View Post

This is one of the things I liked most about the movie - i.e. the purposeful ambiguity of a number of plot points and character realizations that allows one to draw multiple conclusions (and apparently these are not so ambiguous but rather spelled out in uncomfortable detail in the book).

However, regarding "the shot" I agree with what other have said and the sole purpose of its inclusion is
Spoiler  
to show that Eli is indeed a castrated boy.

Ok... but

Spoiler  
Castration doesn't mean removal of the genitals, only the reproductive part In that "shot", I didnt see what resembled partial boy parts. Also, when they show glimpses of Eli as an old person, he/she/it is shown as an old woman... or so it seemed.

I read the interview, and now it's clear that I mis-interpreted some things, but at the same time, it wasn't clear.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #114 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 08:24 PM

Guys, read the book. Not only is it an amazing read, but it will answer every question you have about the film.
post #115 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Bailey View Post

Guys, read the book. Not only is it an amazing read, but it will answer every question you have about the film.

Not really, the film went its own way from the book, it left alot of things for the viewer to decide of their own. So what happend in the book is not really an answer for the movie. Its just the story the movie is based on.

Spoiler  
I think the twist about Håkan is an improvment, since it help define Oskar

Whatever happend in the movie, is up to each viewer. And thats something I like.
post #116 of 775 Old 03-13-2009, 11:48 PM

Yeah, the movie showed you just enough of something for you to come to your own conclusions. That's part of the genius of the adaptation.

But if you want the whole story you should read the book.
post #117 of 775 Old 03-14-2009, 04:19 AM

Does the US release default to the original Swedish track or the English dub?
post #118 of 775 Old 03-14-2009, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraMajor View Post

Does the US release default to the original Swedish track or the English dub?

english sadly...
post #119 of 775 Old 03-14-2009, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithr View Post

what stupid reasoning. the movie is ambiguous but the real answers are there in the book.

it's the same story, not two different stories. it's just that not every detail is there in the movie.

The book is entire different medium, the only thing that counts is whats on the screen. Sure if you want the book to be the "true" story so be it. But its just based on the book. Its not the book.

Just like you cant count in deleted scenes to be the true story. If it doesnt end up on the screen its not there.

Sure it can be fun to read a book to see the source. But they are still different takes on the same story.
post #120 of 775 Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Bailey View Post

Can you give me some of the basic points the book touches on that the film leaves unanswered? I am just curious. I keep thinking about this film.....

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page