"Let the Right One In" impressions? WARNING: May contain spoilers. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 45,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardaway View Post

Isn't this supposed to be a forum where the BD is discussed, not multiple spoiler discussions about the movie itself?

Correct. Further spoilers will be deleted without warning, and members may lose the ability to participate in this topic.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Ken H is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Dave A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

True.

I never thought there was a question regarding gender...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
There were scars that suggest a castration had taken place. It seemed obvious to me even though that scene lasted about 2 seconds. This goes along with the part where Eli said she/he wasn't a girl. I assumed Eli meant she was a vampire until that later scene.
Dave A. is offline  
post #183 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hughmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardaway View Post

Isn't this supposed to be a forum where the BD is discussed, not multiple spoiler discussions about the movie itself?

The BD is being discussed. I thought this isn't just a forum/thread for the science of BD or PQ of BD, but also to discuss the movie itself.
Hughmc is offline  
post #184 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Kroenen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Ken (and to Ron and to any other Mod involved).

Here's a link for those that want to discuss the content of the film:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1089116

You watch a Donnie Yen movie to watch what Donnie does best - kick-ass!
Kroenen is offline  
post #185 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
cardaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WA State
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen View Post

Thanks Ken (and to Ron and to any other Mod involved).

Here's a link for those that want to discuss the content of the film:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1089116

Thanks for posting the link. There is obviously another place for this stuff, and it is not here. It's bad enough to have to wade through plot discussion, but even worse given the spoilers when people are just trying to get get info on the BD.
cardaway is offline  
post #186 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Maxx_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Algona, WA
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen View Post



See my above post.

The thread title was edited yesterday to reflect the fact that spoilers were a given at this point in the discussion.

"My ignorance amuses me." .......Manfred Powell

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
Maxx_75 is offline  
post #187 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Maxx_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Algona, WA
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardaway View Post

Thanks for posting the link. There is obviously another place for this stuff, and it is not here. It's bad enough to have to wade through plot discussion, but even worse given the spoilers when people are just trying to get get info on the BD.

A 200 posts thread is non needed to give you an impression of the AV quality of the release. That is what a review is for. This is a discussion. Plot developments are a given.

"My ignorance amuses me." .......Manfred Powell

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
Maxx_75 is offline  
post #188 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hughmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post

Exactly. This movie has been out for a good long while now and this thread has 170-180 posts. You have NO BUSINESS in this thread if you havent seen the movie.

No need to be dismissive, but this thread has transitioned quite a bit over the last year into more of a discussion about the BD in its entirety as I mentioned in my post # 185. Some of us don't watch DVD's as much or at all anymore, so we don't frequent that forum.
Hughmc is offline  
post #189 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
cardaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WA State
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post

The thread title was edited yesterday to reflect the fact that spoilers were a given at this point in the discussion.

Changing the title doesn't mean the thread now fits the forum. Looks like we need a mod clarifacation on that point as well.
cardaway is offline  
post #190 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hughmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post

The thread title was edited yesterday to reflect the fact that spoilers were a given at this point in the discussion.

Ha HA! I didn't even notice that. So why are we having this discussion?
Hughmc is offline  
post #191 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
cardaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WA State
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

No need to be dismissive, but this thread has transitioned quite a bit over the last year into more of a discussion about the BD in its entirety as I mentioned in my post # 185. Some of us don't watch DVD's as much or at all anymore, so we don't frequent that forum.

Last year? Looks like less than month, which makes sense since the BD came out less than a month ago and is what this forum is supposed to be for.
cardaway is offline  
post #192 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hughmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardaway View Post

Last year? Looks like less than month, which makes sense since the BD came out less than a month ago and is what this forum is supposed to be for.

I meant we have been discussing more than just the science on many or most BD's for months if not longer.
Hughmc is offline  
post #193 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Member
 
cardaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WA State
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

I meant we have been discussing more than just the science on many or most BD's for months if not longer.

Cool. I'm done with this thread anyway. Too many folks are taking the "I'll do what I want" angle and I'm looking for info on the BD, not to have the movie spoiled.
cardaway is offline  
post #194 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
Kroenen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post

The thread title was edited yesterday to reflect the fact that spoilers were a given at this point in the discussion.

Yes I know. I requested that a Mod intervene yesterday because too many spoilers were being posted without the use of spoiler tags.

Just because the thread title has changed doesn't mean that basic forum etiquette should go out the window (i.e. not using spoiler tags) IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

I meant we have been discussing more than just the science on many or most BD's for months if not longer.

I agree but, it only takes a mere few seconds to add spoiler tags.

You watch a Donnie Yen movie to watch what Donnie does best - kick-ass!
Kroenen is offline  
post #195 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Maxx_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Algona, WA
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a review of the Blu-ray by Ralph Potts who happens to be a great reviewer.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1127636

This is where you should be if you havent seen the movie and only wish to know about the science.

"My ignorance amuses me." .......Manfred Powell

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
Maxx_75 is offline  
post #196 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Maxx_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Algona, WA
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen View Post

I agree. but, it only takes a mere few seconds to add spoiler tags.

It isnt fair to expect 95% of people click show on every thread. It is more reasonably for the 5% that havent seen the movie to stick to the provided review thread.

"My ignorance amuses me." .......Manfred Powell

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
Maxx_75 is offline  
post #197 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kroenen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post

It isnt fair to expect 95% of people click show on every thread. It is more reasonably for the 5% that havent seen the movie to stick to the provided review thread.

We're going to just keep disagreeing about this, which is taking this thread off topic (my apologies), so I'll respect that we disagree and leave it at that.

You watch a Donnie Yen movie to watch what Donnie does best - kick-ass!
Kroenen is offline  
post #198 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 73
It's tough to enforce that only BD PQ and AQ discussions take place here (which is the intent of this forum). And it's why there is no spoiler policy dictated in this forum. Movie discussion happens in the Movies forum where a strict spoiler policy has been in place for years.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #199 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
txfilmguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: My bachelor pad is in North Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A. View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
There were scars that suggest a castration had taken place. It seemed obvious to me even though that scene lasted about 2 seconds. This goes along with the part where Eli said she/he wasn't a girl. I assumed Eli meant she was a vampire until that later scene.

This has me puzzled as well. I'm not sure what to make of it... maybe this is where someone who has read the book would have more insight. I was hoping the behind-the-scenes would explain this a little bit, but no luck

Regarding the movie and the Blu-ray itself... I was blown away! I loved this movie and can't wait to watch it again. It's been touted as a genre masterpiece, but I think it transcends the genre by subverting its identity as a Vampire movie. It's really a sort of coming-of-age story.

Picture-wise I like the approach of shooting lower-contrast than what is typical of a night shoot in the snow. This way, details show up in the shadows better. Image is sharp, and the depth of field is shallow, which helps you get "in the head" of the costars. Sound is subtle, but effective and moody.
txfilmguy is offline  
post #200 of 775 Old 03-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Beta Tester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was in the local Blockbuster. No BD, but they had the DVD. The cover was really strange - if you look head on, you cannot see the picture of Eli at all. If you look from the side, you can kind of make her out. The back however was normal. I have never seen this before on a cover.
Beta Tester is offline  
post #201 of 775 Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MovieSwede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 6,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 37
So anybody that wants to help doing a screencap comp beween the US BD and the Swedish BD.

I also have the swedish DVD as reference.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
MovieSwede is offline  
post #202 of 775 Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
txfilmguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: My bachelor pad is in North Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Tester View Post

I was in the local Blockbuster. No BD, but they had the DVD. The cover was really strange - if you look head on, you cannot see the picture of Eli at all. If you look from the side, you can kind of make her out. The back however was normal. I have never seen this before on a cover.

It's lenticular artwork. Often used to create a 3D image, it's not uncommon to find special edition DVDs that use this. The Dark Knight is an example.
txfilmguy is offline  
post #203 of 775 Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Beta Tester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfilmguy View Post

It's lenticular artwork. Often used to create a 3D image, it's not uncommon to find special edition DVDs that use this. The Dark Knight is an example.

I am positive that the DVD cover was not like that when I was at BestBuy.
Beta Tester is offline  
post #204 of 775 Old 03-18-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Maxx_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Algona, WA
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Target had the SD DVD lenticular artwork.

"My ignorance amuses me." .......Manfred Powell

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
Maxx_75 is offline  
post #205 of 775 Old 03-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Newbie
 
Se[BBB]e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If anyone's interested, I've translated and subtitled the entire commentary track in English:

www .opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/3471994/-en

Hope you'll enjoy. (apparantely I'm not allowed to post URLs yet)

PS. If anyone knows of any other communities that might be interested in this, please let me know.
Se[BBB]e is offline  
post #206 of 775 Old 03-21-2009, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RDarrylR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A very good movie - really impressed with this one.

Something different for sure than the usual.
RDarrylR is offline  
post #207 of 775 Old 03-22-2009, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Kannisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se[BBB]e View Post

If anyone's interested, I've translated and subtitled the entire commentary track in English:

www .opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/3471994/-en

Hope you'll enjoy. (apparantely I'm not allowed to post URLs yet)

PS. If anyone knows of any other communities that might be interested in this, please let me know.

That's very much appreciated, I have the Swedish BD and will definitely have use for your commentary translation

HD DVD: 387 (new: Taking Lives ; list)
Blu-ray: 262 (new: North Face (UK) ; list)
HD DVD-R: 262 (new: Charlie Wilson's War ; list)
Kannisto is offline  
post #208 of 775 Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Dave A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Here is a site that noticed the subtitles have been altered in the US release.

http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/0...les_in_to.html

Some subtle nuances of the film are lost in this translation. The kicker is that it appears the dreadful dub on this release is being read from the correct subtitles.
Dave A. is offline  
post #209 of 775 Old 03-24-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A. View Post

Here is a site that noticed the subtitles have been altered in the US release.

http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/0...les_in_to.html

Some subtle nuances of the film are lost in this translation. The kicker is that it appears the dreadful dub on this release is being read from the correct subtitles.

This is just ridiculous IMHO. Dealbreaker for me. I will try and import the Swedish Blu-Ray import which, apparently, has the correct subtitle translations.

Very poor...
ack_bk is offline  
post #210 of 775 Old 03-24-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Paul Arnette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I will try and import the Swedish Blu-Ray import which, apparently, has the correct subtitle translations.

Please let us know if you find a good place to do so.

Thanks.
Paul Arnette is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off