post #301 of 1353 Old 04-12-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

No, you're just a troll, either contribute or leave!

You should read the forum rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1353 Old 04-12-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Max Payne (DTS HD MA) Reference

Great spatial design with lashings of LFE, dialog is also crystal clear.If you have a correct set up you will love this mix it has everything.
The movie itself? well i think you can sit through it once just for the audio experience
post #303 of 1353 Old 04-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 502
The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008) (DTS-MA) Tier 0

Agree with what has already been posted. Great track, but not in the reference league. Nice LFE fix in this one

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #304 of 1353 Old 04-12-2009, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

Max Payne (DTS HD MA) Reference

Great spatial design with lashings of LFE

More like bathings of LFE, there's too much of it and it's just there for the sake of being LFE. C4 = LFE, Dude fires rifle = LFE, Max fire small hand gun LFE, Max moves arm to scratch nose = LFE. It is distracting and very rarely accents anything.

Max Payne (DTS-MA) - Tier 0
Doom comes from the same mixing school and does this a lot better IMO.

The Punisher: War Zone (DTS-MA) - Tier 0
This is the mix that Max Payne and Transporter 3 were trying for. It knocks your socks off with very few 'tricks or gimmicks'. None of the guns sound the same all of the bone crunching is there, super dynamic, 360 degree sound - the 7.1 is completely warranted here. There's no obnoxious ADR, but I'm pretty sure there is some.

This also gets bonus points for playing 10 seconds of Slipknot, and having a Rob Zombie song. This was the Punisher movie the first should have been, the metal is peppered throughout the movie, and the very very TDKesque score actually works well with the movie.

I would call this reference but the Kalashnikovs don't quite 'bite' hard enough. And this one really cant compete with other Reference titles.

2010: The Year We Made Contact (TrueHD) - Tier 1 maybe Tier 2
This one surprised me, this is easily the best sounding 80's BD title I've listened to. Watching this I realized that Sunshine borrows more from this film than it does any other sci-fi flick, almost as if Sunshine's mid way shift was based on a single "what if?" from one of the characters lines; so the sound design is similar on both.

The large ship and centrifuge create a good deal of LFE(not Sunshine LFE though). The whole movie has a lot more LFE than I thought it would. Surround use if very consistent, there's always background noise in the rears when it makes sense. Panning and Imaging are OK. Overall this is a solid vintage mix, the design itself sounds very modern. The only issue was that the dialogue is mixed a tad too low, and it can be a bit harsh. This is stuck somewhere between Tier 1 and 2, and because of the technical merit I'm calling it 1, I wouldn't argue against Tier 2 if others felt it should be placed lower.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #305 of 1353 Old 04-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Grand Canyon Adventure River At Risk (DTS-MA) Reference

I was VERY surprised by this one as I was not expecting amazing sound design and one of the most convincing sound stages I have listened to in my HT. Speakers truly go away as you are in a raft crashing through rapids with water coming from all around you. The music sounds incredible as well as they place it all around you which works perfectly for this film. LFE is minimal and obviously you wont get the awesome Max Payne or Transporter 3 LFE, but spot on for the material. I cant go anything but reference with this one. See my previous comments as well however many posts up.

post #306 of 1353 Old 04-13-2009, 09:16 AM

Liked: 11
Baraka (DTS-MA) - Tier 0, possibly Reference

I was quite surprised to find this title in the Tier 2 listings despite only one review (here), in which he reviewer admits he might be willing to go along with a Tier 0 recommendation. Well, I'll make that recommendation

This is a 24-bit/96 kHz presentation, and the clarity of the music on the soundtrack (there is no dialogue) and the near seamless soundstage impressed me far more than the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds disc that I also watched last week. Great, deep bass drum action is regularly employed in the mix.

This mix is also capable of great subtlety as well. The Auschwitz sequence where one can hear

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
the faint screams and whimpers of women and children

was truly one of the most unnerving things I have ever heard. I was watching the movie alone and had to keep reminding myself that what I was hearing was not

Spoiler  
the cries of my wife and daughters in other rooms in the house.

I was glad when the sequence ended, which I guess means the filmmakers accomplished their task well.

I don't recall hearing a lot of surround action, so that may be a reason for my conservative Tier 0 rating; however, while watching it I kept thinking that if Dave/Tim can get a Reference rating for a front-loaded (but extremely well-reproduced) acoustic guitar concert, surely this mix ought to be in the running as well. At least higher than Tier 2, anyway.
post #307 of 1353 Old 04-13-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Bryan,
thanks for your review. There are several disputed titles in the reference tier, that at least a few will disagree with being there. Concert titles are especially problematic, since they are simply not like film tracks, they recorded live among other things. We been talking to separate the film and concert titles into separate tiers. That might help to make things more "agreeable" we hope.

BTW why is Twister in reference? I gave it tier 2 I think in the old thread, I seem to remember I wasn't alone on that. Speak out please if you have tier recommendation on that.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #308 of 1353 Old 04-13-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW why is Twister in reference? I gave it tier 2 I think in the old thread, I seem to remember I wasn't alone on that. Speak out please if you have tier recommendation on that.

See jkcheng122's post #1073 from the old thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...r#post14374554

I have it in HD so won't check it out in blu-ray.

added:
From the old thread I did a search for Twister and found the following rankings:

robertc88 Tier 0
jbrinegar Tier 0

bonham2 Reference Comments were “I just finished watching Twister, very loudly I might add. Awful movie, but amazing audio. Following up from my last post, this is now my #3. I know people might find some things to complain about. In particular, the dialogue isn't as clear as it should be because it is often overpowered during the storm scenes, but I think that makes perfect sense.

The movie stinks to high heaven, but the real attraction is obviously the tornadoes. If we are talking "demo" tracks, look no further. Surrounds are EXTREMELY aggressive, as would be expected. My sub certainly got a workout. As bad as the movie is, I found myself on the edge of my seat due to the audio.”

mikenike Reference Comments were “Agreed! (talking about bonham2’s post as above) Can't believe I hadn't rated this, but there you go. The movie's TrueHD track is really enveloping, and it's a shame as a lot of tracks nowadays sound only good compared to this movie that's over a decade old.”

shadowrage didn’t give a ranking per se but comments were “+1
(talking about bonham2’s post as above) Take a listen to when the truck goes through the house, you can clearly hear the different materials that they smash through throughout the house as it tumbles.

The reverb(?) whatever it is, from the wind chimes sound pitch perfect and accurate. If you are familiar with Tornadoes and have a descent set up, this soundtrack will scare you. It does sound like you are in a storm.”

thehun Tier 2 (as you indicated in your post in this thread)
post #309 of 1353 Old 04-14-2009, 06:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

There are several disputed titles in the reference tier, that at least a few will disagree with being there. Concert titles are especially problematic, since they are simply not like film tracks, they recorded live among other things. We been talking to separate the film and concert titles into separate tiers. That might help to make things more "agreeable" we hope.

Yes, I've been following the controversy here for a while. I'm not arguing that Dave/Tim should be knocked down to a lower tier, as many have chimed in that the disc is reference material and I'm shrewd enough to accede to the will of the majority when it comes to subjective rankings like this. I don't think it's as good a mix as the John Mayer concert, whose Reference ranking I totally agree with.

I don't think it's necessary to separate concerts and feature films. Roger Ebert doesn't segregate his Great Movies list according to decade, use of color, or country of origin. If a movie is "great," it makes the list.
post #310 of 1353 Old 04-14-2009, 07:19 AM

Moonraker (DTS-MA) - Tier 3
Great to see this one (and all of the Bonds) on Blu-Ray. Not much in the way of LFE. The surrounds were used a little (mainly during the G-force machine scene). Dialogue was clear and easily understandable.

The Bourne Ultimatum (DTS-MA) - Reference
All I can say is WOW. Great use of LFE, surrounds, and dialogue. This is one to put in your Blu-Ray player when you want to show off the system! Earlier reviews will give more details, but I'm just throwing my vote!

The Shawshank Redemption (Dolby TrueHD) - Tier 2
This was a tough one for me (debate as to whether it should be in Tier 2 or Tier 3). Very similar to my Moonraker review from above. However, I feel that the surrounds were used a little better, and overall, it seemed like a more pleasing "sonic" experience than Moonraker.
post #311 of 1353 Old 04-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman View Post

I don't think it's as good a mix as the John Mayer concert, whose Reference ranking I totally agree with.

Even though I love the Dave and Tim sound, I agree with you. There are about 3-4 mixes/recordings I would put above Dave and Tim as far as concert BR's are concerned.

post #312 of 1353 Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

See jkcheng122's post #1073 from the old thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...r#post14374554

I have it in HD so won't check it out in blu-ray.

added:
From the old thread I did a search for Twister and found the following rankings:

robertc88 Tier 0
jbrinegar Tier 0

bonham2 Reference Comments were I just finished watching Twister, very loudly I might add. Awful movie, but amazing audio. Following up from my last post, this is now my #3. I know people might find some things to complain about. In particular, the dialogue isn't as clear as it should be because it is often overpowered during the storm scenes, but I think that makes perfect sense.

The movie stinks to high heaven, but the real attraction is obviously the tornadoes. If we are talking "demo" tracks, look no further. Surrounds are EXTREMELY aggressive, as would be expected. My sub certainly got a workout. As bad as the movie is, I found myself on the edge of my seat due to the audio.

mikenike Reference Comments were Agreed! (talking about bonham2's post as above) Can't believe I hadn't rated this, but there you go. The movie's TrueHD track is really enveloping, and it's a shame as a lot of tracks nowadays sound only good compared to this movie that's over a decade old.

shadowrage didn't give a ranking per se but comments were +1
(talking about bonham2's post as above) Take a listen to when the truck goes through the house, you can clearly hear the different materials that they smash through throughout the house as it tumbles.

The reverb(?) whatever it is, from the wind chimes sound pitch perfect and accurate. If you are familiar with Tornadoes and have a descent set up, this soundtrack will scare you. It does sound like you are in a storm.

thehun Tier 2 (as you indicated in your post in this thread)

Well according to our current guidelines this should be knocked down to Tier 0 then.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #313 of 1353 Old 04-15-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshouse View Post

The Bourne Ultimatum (DTS-MA) - Reference
All I can say is WOW. Great use of LFE, surrounds, and dialogue. This is one to put in your Blu-Ray player when you want to show off the system! Earlier reviews will give more details, but I'm just throwing my vote!

I just watched this last night and like you said - WOW. Not a single complaint. Everything was perfect.

The scene when he's in the NYPD cop car was AMAZING.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #314 of 1353 Old 04-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

The Spirit (DTS-MA 7.1) tier 0

This track was extremely solid IMO with the high point being the surround usage and just the overall sound stage which was amazing at times as sounds came from above, behind, off to the sides. LFE fit the material fine if a bit unexceptional. Dialog was fantastic and always loud and clear. On the other hand, nothing in this film seemed demo caliber to my ears which is why I cant get more excited than I am I suppose.

post #315 of 1353 Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Afro Samurai (Dolby TrueHD) Tier 1

This was a decent sounding track, but too inconsistent at times. In some scenes the track will use the surrounds, then a few minutes later, in the same scene, no surrounds. LFE is pretty much non-existent and I do not recall having any problems with the dialogue.
post #316 of 1353 Old 04-17-2009, 09:56 PM

I just got Divertimenti and am amazed at it's AQ. Its not music I listen to everyday but the recording is so compelling I've found I've listened to various tracks the last few days. I'm surprised this is not listed on the reference tier.
post #317 of 1353 Old 04-17-2009, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrispy View Post

I just got Divertimenti and am amazed at it's AQ. Its not music I listen to everyday but the recording is so compelling I've found I've listened to various tracks the last few days. I'm surprised this is not listed on the reference tier.

Why? It's not on the list anywhere, which means it hasn't been evaluated by anyone.

Care to give us a rundown?

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #318 of 1353 Old 04-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

Why? It's not on the list anywhere, which means it hasn't been evaluated by anyone.

+1

I would like to hear more about this and what is the full title of this BR? Hope this is up for rent at either BB or Netflix.

post #319 of 1353 Old 04-18-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

+1

I would like to hear more about this and what is the full title of this BR? Hope this is up for rent at either BB or Netflix.

I don't think you can rent it anywhere.... it runs around $40.

It is a great disc.

Divertimenti Blu Ray At Amazon.

It contains both a 3 layer SACD and BR Profile 3.0 music disc.

The BR contains encodes in PCM, DTS-HD MA and True HD 5.1's at 24/192.

Quote:

This is a 2 disc set from 2L Called "Divertimenti".

The first disc is an SACD Hybrid that features 69:00 mins. of works by Britten, Bacewicz, Bjorklund, and Bartok. All works for String Orchestra.

The recordings are done in DXD or Digital Extreme Definition.The SACD disc is the usual three layers DSD Stereo, DSD Surround and regular CD Stereo.

On the second disc which is a Blu-Ray Disc, the same works are featured available in Linear PCM 24bit/192khz,both Stereo and 5.1Surround

DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround,24bit/192

Dolby TrueHD 24bit/192, 5.1 Surround

Dolby Digital 48khz,5.1 Surround

The perfomers are the Trondheim Soloists.

post #320 of 1353 Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I don't think you can rent it anywhere.... it runs around $40.

It is a great disc.

Divertimenti Blu Ray At Amazon.

It contains both a 3 layer SACD and BR Profile 3.0 music disc.

The BR contains encodes in PCM, DTS-HD MA and True HD 5.1's at 24/192.

Thanks for the info FilmMixer.....Wow, impressive specs. Any reason this would not be compatible with a Panny BD30 BR player? I noticed the profile 3.0 and not sure if this would cause issue with the BD30 or not.....I would not think so since I will be bitstreaming it, but who knows.

post #321 of 1353 Old 04-18-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

Aside from the impressive selection of high resolution sounds tracks mentioned above the music itself has somewhat varied styles of music you would expect hear from a string orchestra. There is great sense of dynamic range as the orchestra plays through quiet and louder passages. Detail and articulation is uncanny. You feel as if you are listening from within the orchestra itself and can focus into a particular instrument out of the entire orchestra. LFE gives a nice weighty feel to instruments where appropriate. You can feel the music as much as you hear it and you get a good sense for the nuances of the various instruments in the recording. It gives that “they are in your room” type experience.

There is no video on the blue ray disc. Just title screens to indicate what track you are listening too. I think I saw the bit rate go to as high as 2.9Mbs but wasn’t paying too careful attention to this as I was caught up in the recording itself. This is a must listen to anyone who frequents this thread. I only hope that someone is working on a similar recording project for other music genres as IMHO this is the bar to target. My vote is that this should be at the top of the reference list for audio and looking forward to more audio only BD's at this level of quality.

(I have not had a chance to listen to the SACD yet.)
post #322 of 1353 Old 04-18-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info FilmMixer.....Wow, impressive specs. Any reason this would not be compatible with a Panny BD30 BR player? I noticed the profile 3.0 and not sure if this would cause issue with the BD30 or not.....I would not think so since I will be bitstreaming it, but who knows.

All BR players to date should play Profile 3.0 discs... they are really only BR without video.. nothing too special about them.
post #323 of 1353 Old 04-18-2009, 12:10 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

All BR players to date should play Profile 3.0 discs... they are really only BR without video.. nothing too special about them.

Good deal, thanks. Will definately check this out at some point very soon.

post #324 of 1353 Old 04-18-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:

This is one incredible disc. I vote for Reference (DTS-MA). I have the Panny BD30 and an Integra DTC-9.8 pre/pro and have yet to hear its equal. The one downfall is that not too many processors can handle 24bit/192khz. With the Integra I can only listen to the DTS-MA track due to its limits but I can't imagine it sounding much different with the other offerings. There is a whole thread dedicated to this disc but it hasn't been touched for a while: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1056456
2L, the company that produced this disc, has a few other BR that are 24bit/192khz: http://www.2l.no/2L.htm
What a great hobby!!

"Maybe poker's just not your game...I know, lets have a spelling contest."
post #325 of 1353 Old 04-18-2009, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dudes, I just watched Slumdog Millionaire. That movie is hot with bass. Most of it is a musical bass, but there are some scenes with regular HT bass moments like the helicopter scene near the beginning of the movie. I thought it was a little too bass heavy now and then but overall good and the movie itself is very good. I would give it 4 stars just for the bass. I am not going to rate it for the audio thread but overall very good.

Also, the surround mix was very hot. I had to turn my surrounds down 4db because the speakers were sounding loud and a little bit scratchy.

Overall, I am glad I bought this one on blu-ray.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #326 of 1353 Old 04-19-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerrx View Post

This is one incredible disc. I vote for Reference (DTS-MA). I have the Panny BD30 and an Integra DTC-9.8 pre/pro and have yet to hear its equal. The one downfall is that not too many processors can handle 24bit/192khz. With the Integra I can only listen to the DTS-MA track due to its limits but I can't imagine it sounding much different with the other offerings. There is a whole thread dedicated to this disc but it hasn't been touched for a while: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1056456
2L, the company that produced this disc, has a few other BR that are 24bit/192khz: http://www.2l.no/2L.htm
What a great hobby!!

PDF Booklet for one of their discs..

The link above will download a PDF insert for one of their sampler discs.

Amazon Preorder for the sampler..

If you go to the end of the booklet, you will find a lot of information about the labels philosophy and tech details about the recordings..

PS and OT.. poker.... I played with Annie Duke a months ago at on of my "home games.. "
post #327 of 1353 Old 04-19-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

Dudes, I just watched Slumdog Millionaire. That movie is hot with bass. Most of it is a musical bass, but there are some scenes with regular HT bass moments like the helicopter scene near the beginning of the movie. I thought it was a little too bass heavy now and then but overall good and the movie itself is very good. I would give it 4 stars just for the bass. I am not going to rate it for the audio thread but overall very good.

Also, the surround mix was very hot. I had to turn my surrounds down 4db because the speakers were sounding loud and a little bit scratchy.

Overall, I am glad I bought this one on blu-ray.

Where would you list it?
post #328 of 1353 Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The Thing (DTS-HD:MA): Does this really belong to Tier-1 that contains a boat load of modern titles?

Blu-ray : 340
post #329 of 1353 Old 04-19-2009, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

One comment about the reference list...die hard 4 and live free or die hard are the same movie...no need to list it twice.
post #330 of 1353 Old 04-19-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
8 Mile DTS-HD Master Audio Tier 2

Inconsistencies in the mix result in a Tier 2 rating here. The beginning started off real hot. Not that I know a whole lot about the genre of music being played but it sounded real good. Then, during the meat of the movie, surround use pretty much disappeared. I then was "reimmursed" towards the end. LFE should have hit harder as well.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page