post #631 of 1353 Old 06-19-2009, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

AFAIK, the review forum is all formal reviews by Ralph Potts.

Yeah, I see now this forum has a lot more than its title suggests - with "BluRay Software" I would expect threads about PC titles or programming/burning BluRay material, NOT reviews and feedback about BluRay titles/discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1353 Old 06-20-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Gran Torino.....Dolby TrueHD.....Tier 2

I have to disagree slightly with some of the recent reviews for the audio in this movie. Granted their isn't much as far as lfe or surround usage as it is a mostly dialouge driven movie, I thought what they did do with it was ok, better than some of the other movies we have listed in Tier 3. There were a few times where I couldn't understand what Clint Eastwood said, but that could have just been him as opposed to the audio.

Another great Clint Eastwood movie as well.
post #633 of 1353 Old 06-20-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
The Mummy[1999] (DTS-MA) - Tier 1
Good surround use, ok LFE, dynamics were fine. No trouble with dialog or any other technical issues. This is a good action mix, but nothing to really write home about.

The Mummy Returns (DTS-MA) - Tier 0
Better LFE and Surround use than the first movie, more envelopment and more "power" through out the entire soundstage. This one sounds great.

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (DTS-MA) - Tier Reference
If you were to go through a checklist of things necessary for an audio demo disc this one would have a mark next to each one. Unlike QoS this one is nearly demo material for the entire length of the movie, which is why I'm giving it a Reference vote.

Scorpion King (DTS-MA) - Tier 2
I agree with this placement. It's not a bad mix, but it's not particularly impressive either.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #634 of 1353 Old 06-21-2009, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Striking Distance (TrueHD) - Tier 1

Frequent surround use without much directionality. LFE and bass were good, rumbling bass at times. Dialogue was clear throughout.

Ghostbusters (TrueHD) - Tier 2

Surround use during action, music, and ambience. No directionality. Dialogue was clear throughout but was tinny at times. The sound level was quite low so had to turn up the volume of the avr quite a bit more than for other movies. Booming bass at times, at other times was lacking as was LFE. Some of the sound effects were unnatural but at other times was good.
post #635 of 1353 Old 06-21-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Passengers (Dolby THD) Tier 2

Excellent use of surrounds, very active an d fitting yet it isn't intrusive. Dialog while clear and intelligible throughout, it is mixed a bit too loud compared to the music and effects. Bass was almost none existent except for a couple of places when it was really needed.
A decent track.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #636 of 1353 Old 06-21-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Passengers (Dolby THD) Tier 2

Excellent use of surrounds, very active an d fitting yet it isn't intrusive. Dialog while clear and intelligible throughout, it is mixed a bit too loud compared to the music and effects. Bass was almost none existent except for a couple of places when it was really needed.
A decent track.

Thanks for the review... while not a strong film, it did give us one great moment to have a lot of fun.

It was a little difficult with the surrounds due to the nature of the subject matter, but we snuck in as much as would work considering.

I also wasn't thrilled with the music when we got it, but we worked it as well as we could.
post #637 of 1353 Old 06-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Diana Krall: Live in Rio Reference

The mix was excellent. Full dynamics and clearly articulated instrumentation and vocals. I was really impressed how well the orchestra mixed with the core musicians. I heard each instrument clearly articulated (save sometimes the percussionist) in the mix. One of my favorite ways to judge a music mix is noticing the proper decay of instrument's notes which was fully evident in this mix.
post #638 of 1353 Old 06-22-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

The mix was excellent. Full dynamics and clearly articulated instrumentation and vocals. I was really impressed how well the orchestra mixed with the core musicians. I heard each instrument clearly articulated (save sometimes the percussionist) in the mix. One of my favorite ways to judge a music mix is noticing the proper decay of instrument's notes which was fully evident in this mix.

I like Diana Krall so this is good to hear.

As an aside, how is the picture quality?
post #639 of 1353 Old 06-22-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Thanks for the review... while not a strong film, it did give us one great moment to have a lot of fun.

It was a little difficult with the surrounds due to the nature of the subject matter, but we snuck in as much as would work considering.

I also wasn't thrilled with the music when we got it, but we worked it as well as we could.

Which moment is that?

While it's no demo material in traditional sense it is one of those "realistic" ones that many of us appreciate here even if it's not represented in the Tier rank. Reminded me of "In the valley of Elah", should have known it was you and your team.

The Hun
post #640 of 1353 Old 06-22-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

The much touted "Live In Paris" had one fundamental mistake: it bled the piano sound into the right surround, while Diana's voice was in the front right [off center]. I'm hoping that mistake isn't carried over here?

The Hun
post #641 of 1353 Old 06-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I like Diana Krall so this is good to hear.

As an aside, how is the picture quality?

I put my thoughts in this thread post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...49&postcount=1
post #642 of 1353 Old 06-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

A BUG'S LIFE- Reference

I don't know why on Disney's DTSMA disc I have to keep boosting the volume above my normal, but when I pumped it up about 3 ticks above my normal this soundtrack really came to life. While there are fleeting moments of intense bass, this disc shines with clarity. You can hear every nuance of this soundtrack from the steps of the ants in their colony, to the flapping of wings of the insects, to the background insect sounds that are ever present but subtle in the backgrounds. Surround field is quite good and the orchestra well represented.

A stellar effort.
post #643 of 1353 Old 06-23-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Finally, experienced lossless / uncompressed audio in my HT by connecting DMP-BD80 to legacy AVR via analog outs.

Here are my impressions:

1. Able to hear minute details.
2. Slight boost in LFE.
3. Mid-range and High frequency sounds more clearer.
4. More sound emanating from the rears channels.

Overall, kept me slightly more immersed than usual though there is nothing to jump and rave about, at least for the time being.

Quantum of Solace - Agree with current placement though I am yet to complete watching the entire movie.

Now comes the sour moment.

Hancock - Sounded horrible and totally lifeless in the LFE department especially till mid of the movie. The sound quality is similar to The Kingdom which at least had couple of sound moments. Tier-2 at best. Tier-3 IMO.

Blu-ray : 340
post #644 of 1353 Old 06-23-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Confessions of a Shopaholic (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 3

Front directed sound with dialogue clear throughout. No appreciable surround use but I wasn't expecting it given the type of movie it is. Nothing else remarkable to comment on.
post #645 of 1353 Old 06-23-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A Bug's Life DTS-HD Master Audio Reference

Another reference vote for Pixar.
post #646 of 1353 Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Inside Man.....DTS-MA.......Tier 0

Very good sounding BD that I almost recommended for reference but I couldn't because there were a few spots where the dialogue wasn't completely clear and the guns should have sounded better. Surround use is very good with a few discrete sounds. LFE is good when called upon.
post #647 of 1353 Old 06-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member

Ladies and Gentlemen,
A new HT Demo King is heading to Blu-Ray before the end of the year,and it should be no surprise that it happens to be called Transformers:Revenge of the Fallen.
Wall-to-wall sound and sound effects.
For this mix,surround and low-frequency useage has been ramped up quite a bit...there is alot going on here.
IMAX is the way to go!
post #648 of 1353 Old 06-24-2009, 07:15 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg75 View Post

Ladies and Gentlemen,
A new HT Demo King is heading to Blu-Ray before the end of the year,and it should be no surprise that it happens to be called Transformers:Revenge of the Fallen.
Wall-to-wall sound and sound effects.
For this mix,surround and low-frequency useage has been ramped up quite a bit...there is alot going on here.
IMAX is the way to go!

God, I cant wait! the last ~30min of T1 is one of my absolute favorite HT audio demos.....If this sequel is even on par with that, I will be completely happy!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #649 of 1353 Old 06-24-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Finally, experienced lossless / uncompressed audio in my HT by connecting DMP-BD80 to legacy AVR via analog outs.

Here are my impressions:

1. Able to hear minute details.
2. Slight boost in LFE.
3. Mid-range and High frequency sounds more clearer.
4. More sound emanating from the rears channels.

Overall, kept me slightly more immersed than usual though there is nothing to jump and rave about, at least for the time being.

Quantum of Solace - Agree with current placement though I am yet to complete watching the entire movie.

Now comes the sour moment.

Hancock - Sounded horrible and totally lifeless in the LFE department especially till mid of the movie. The sound quality is similar to The Kingdom which at least had couple of sound moments. Tier-2 at best. Tier-3 IMO.

Welcome to the lossless kingdom, no pun intended.

Hancock and The Kingdom both have good sound quality, they just mixed like crap. Both are huge missed opportunities, both are from director Peter Berg.

The Hun
post #650 of 1353 Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

God, I cant wait! the last ~30min of T1 is one of my absolute favorite HT audio demos.....If this sequel is even on par with that, I will be completely happy!

I cant say how you will feel about the movie itself,but you will bee(pun) happy with the sound.
The final 30 mins of T1 is one of my favorite reference sequences as well.However TF2 just pushes the envelope way further soundwise....
The highlights for me are the opening Shanghi sequence,the Optimus Prime Forest fight and of course the massive Finale in Egypt.
I must give credit to the sound team on this show,their work is as amazing as the VFX artists.
post #651 of 1353 Old 06-24-2009, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Taken - Tier-0

Reference quality sound throughout but Tier-0 sounds fine due to the overcooked nature of the mix especially the gun shots. My heart votes Reference but my Mind says Tier-0.

Superman Returns

Only tested the portions that involved major sound moments, and of course few scenes where dialog sounded too low or muffled on the DD track.

PCM - Reference / Tier-0
Dolby TrueHD - Tier-0 (Didn't match the quality of the PCM track even after increasing the volume by 4 db. Simply sounded harsh. LFE was about 5% off. Center channel still sounded low.)
Dolby Digital - Tier-1

post #652 of 1353 Old 06-24-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:

I cant say how you will feel about the movie itself,but you will bee(pun) happy with the sound.
The final 30 mins of T1 is one of my favorite reference sequences as well.However TF2 just pushes the envelope way further soundwise....
The highlights for me are the opening Shanghi sequence,the Optimus Prime Forest fight and of course the massive Finale in Egypt.
I must give credit to the sound team on this show,their work is as amazing as the VFX artists.

Technically, it was compressed for at least two-thirds of the film. For me, it couldn't be helped that Juno kept popping into my head: "It's just noise." Now, the last third with the fight in Egypt. That was a little more impressive, beginning with the EMP burst. And the aggregate of the Constructicons becoming the Devastator... AWESOME.

The sound design was horribly sloppy, overall. If the first film felt like "wash, rinse, repeat," then this is just a fancy dishwasher. Music was playing in some form or fashion during the majority of the film, and yes, that makes it feel like a long commercial. In fact, I didn't even know the movie started because it started like an ad for a Discovery Channel show. Surrounds were used, but the front was so fully barraged, you'd hardly pay attention to the back. I was hoping to be impressed, but this one makes the first one feel so refined.

I'm hoping the home edition will be better tweaked.

NOTE: This isn't to disregard alexg75's review. The IMAX may have sounded better than the traditional theatre that I attend, though my local theatre does a pretty good job with the sound most of the time and is a pretty good gauge for my thoughts how the home edition will sound. Still, I know that doesn't compare to IMAX. Just an observation (to write something down now just in case it would sound loads better on BD).
post #653 of 1353 Old 06-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Awesome, cant wait I have read so many rave reviews about the audio that it has me very excited. Do you guys think this will hit BR in November or December?

post #654 of 1353 Old 06-24-2009, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Awesome, cant wait I have read so many rave reviews about the audio that it has me very excited. Do you guys think this will hit BR in November or December?

I would guess a mid to late October date.
I'm going off of the release pattern of TF1.
Late June theatrical release,October home video release.
post #655 of 1353 Old 06-25-2009, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenike View Post

Technically, it was compressed for at least two-thirds of the film. For me, it couldn't be helped that Juno kept popping into my head: "It's just noise." Now, the last third with the fight in Egypt. That was a little more impressive, beginning with the EMP burst. And the aggregate of the Constructicons becoming the Devastator... AWESOME.

The sound design was horribly sloppy, overall. If the first film felt like "wash, rinse, repeat," then this is just a fancy dishwasher. Music was playing in some form or fashion during the majority of the film, and yes, that makes it feel like a long commercial. In fact, I didn't even know the movie started because it started like an ad for a Discovery Channel show. Surrounds were used, but the front was so fully barraged, you'd hardly pay attention to the back. I was hoping to be impressed, but this one makes the first one feel so refined.

I'm hoping the home edition will be better tweaked.

NOTE: This isn't to disregard alexg75's review. The IMAX may have sounded better than the traditional theatre that I attend, though my local theatre does a pretty good job with the sound most of the time and is a pretty good gauge for my thoughts how the home edition will sound. Still, I know that doesn't compare to IMAX. Just an observation (to write something down now just in case it would sound loads better on BD).

I found the commercial theaters sound so different from one to another that judging the mixes or even SQ becomes a futile exercise IMO. There are some good ones out there, and if you live close to one thank your lucky star. Ever since I moved to N. CA. I've yet to find a decent one within an hour drive. Shame.

The Hun
post #656 of 1353 Old 06-25-2009, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Welcome to the lossless kingdom, no pun intended.

Hancock and The Kingdom both have good sound quality, they just mixed like crap. Both are huge missed opportunities, both are from director Peter Berg.

Thanks thehun. Here is hoping to learn more from the audio geeks out here. I now understand why people miss PCM.

post #657 of 1353 Old 06-25-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:

I found the commercial theaters sound so different from one to another that judging the mixes or even SQ becomes a futile exercise IMO. There are some good ones out there, and if you live close to one thank your lucky star. Ever since I moved to N. CA. I've yet to find a decent one within an hour drive. Shame.

The local theater here has done a pretty good job with most movies. I guess sending in those many complaints helped.

But one thing that can be judged universally is the sound design, and lordy, if you've heard the first, there's no need to hear the second. It's just using the same sounds over and over, on a grander scale. That probably added to the overlong feeling, and a well-made movie should never feel long. Oh, and I forgot to add: dialogue is NOT well-prioritized, from both humans and Autobots/Decepticons. Mostly the alien robots due to poor sound design.
post #658 of 1353 Old 06-25-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenike View Post

The local theater here has done a pretty good job with most movies. I guess sending in those many complaints helped.

But one thing that can be judged universally is the sound design, and lordy, if you've heard the first, there's no need to hear the second. It's just using the same sounds over and over, on a grander scale. That probably added to the overlong feeling, and a well-made movie should never feel long. Oh, and I forgot to add: dialogue is NOT well-prioritized, from both humans and Autobots/Decepticons. Mostly the alien robots due to poor sound design.

I'm with thehun on this one. There's too many factors that could attribute to any of those problems, a bad center channel, a blown woofer, the volume being cranked too loud(that's the worst IMO). As far as the sound being the same thing over and over, most of the reviews say that the movie is the same thing over and over again. It's giant robots blowing stuff up, that's all I really want to see on the big screen.

The single best audio moment from TF1 was Starscream's engine spooling above Sam's head as he transformed. So cool.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #659 of 1353 Old 06-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

I'm with thehun on this one. There's too many factors that could attribute to any of those problems, a bad center channel, a blown woofer, the volume being cranked too loud(that's the worst IMO). As far as the sound being the same thing over and over, most of the reviews say that the movie is the same thing over and over again. It's giant robots blowing stuff up, that's all I really want to see on the big screen.

The single best audio moment from TF1 was Starscream's engine spooling above Sam's head as he transformed. So cool.

Agreed with all of this which is why I dont see hardly any movies at the theater any more. The LOTR films at the theaters I went to sounded flat, no depth to the low end, dialog was very hard to understand and just was flat out not loud enough for me compared to what I got at home (and we all know how good these DVDs sound). It was night and day......this is only one example, but I NEVER judge a audio track by a commercial theater experience to any significant degree. I am sure there are theaters out there that would change my mind, but I have not been to one yet.

post #660 of 1353 Old 06-25-2009, 07:23 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

I NEVER judge a audio track by a commercial theater experience to any significant degree. I am sure there are theaters out there that would change my mind, but I have not been to one yet.

Oh, man....don't get me started on my local theater. I live in a small town, and my home system (which I've, admittedly, sunk my share of money in) sounds SO much better. Our local theater is awful. There's simply no way to judge a movie's sound by it. It's almost a crime for a cinema lover like me to go see a movie there.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page