AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokebrother View Post

Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre

someone really needs to come up with a criteria for rating these movies..

I really can't beleive "Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre " isn't rated reference..I'm begining to think when it comes to concert BD it's all about what music you guys like rather than what BD has to offer.

At the very MINIMUM the BDs have to challenge our systems..
Some dude playing guitar and vocals only should NEVER be considered reference.
Yeah I said NEVER
lets hear some horns maybe some strings lets hear the high-hat..
How about a broad range of sounds

I'll admit I haven't listend to DAVE MATTHEWS & TIM REYNOLDS: "(and I really doubt I ever)" will but I did watch David Gilmour: Remember That Night.
Chicago&EWF if atleast a full teir above Gimore..
And for the record..Chicago&EWF worked the full range of my system.. Every speaker was pushed .. the sound was clear, vocals were excellent..I could even hear one of the alto players strike his key pads.. the HORNS WERE EXCELLENT..( I play both the sax and flute)
BD worked my Sub harder than Most the movies listed in reference ..I would say ALL of them but I haven't seen MASTER & COMMANDERMAX PAYNE

I suggest
Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre be move to reference
and more importantly someone come up with a format to rate these BD's

I have seen this BD and agree Chicago with Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek Theatre is Reference. I thought I rated it in the old thread but maybe I forgot, excellent concert BD if you are a fan of either group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1353 Old 03-06-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

See, I have a bit of an issue with titles like these. I agree that it used the surrounds, bass was awesome. However, I thought it was too dynamic. When it got loud, it was too loud and I had to adjust my volume. But then, it was too soft for the ensuing conversation and had to adjust again.

Did anybody see/hear it this way? Do we not penalize for this type of inconsistency? Is it just my set up?

It may be your setup, I had no problems with the dialogue and I listen and -6 from reference.
post #93 of 1353 Old 03-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Chocolate (Thai DTS-MA) tier 0

Wow. What a track. Pounding LFE, a few of the musical passages sound incredible with a lot of air between vocals and instruments that only lossless can provide to that degree (IMO). In the last major fight seq there are a couple of stunning/scary LFE moments! Surrounds were used VERY well for the most part, but in a few key scenes seemed somewhat lacking for some reason which is my only complaint and a fairly minor one, but just something I noticed. Overall though, this is good tier 0 material IMO.

Madagascar Escape 2 Africa (TrueHD) tier 1

While a fairly solid all around track, there were definitely some missed sound moments that the better animated films hit and the track just seemed run of the mill to me for some reason. Not sure what the mainstream reviewers were hearing, but my experience was fairly dif from theirs. Not a bad track, just nothing special especially after hearing tracks such as KFP which have set the bar very high for animation IMO.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #94 of 1353 Old 03-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

I agree with all of the above.

The French Connection (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 4

I was really looking forward to this one but it was a major disappointment. It may be the source material would not lend itself to doing more since it is an older movie. LFE was almost nonexistent at best. The sound is directed from the fronts but more so from the center. Dialogue is clear throughout. Surround use was not appreciated but on a very rare occasion (car/truck/subway sound) for the first 1:10 of the movie. It does kick in at that point, the start of the infamous car chase. Surround use however even during this part was disappointing. The lack of LFE was partly to blame for that in my opinion. After the chase there is some further sporadic sound use of surrounds.

Interesting that you mentioned this one as I was actually suprised just how much surround activity there was for an older movie. No, it in no way sounds like a modern soundtrack but it did have more ambience than I expected and the dialogue was pretty decent.
post #95 of 1353 Old 03-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the Chicago/EWF BD and i'll agree it's very good, don't know i'd go all the way to reference. There are some issues I have with the mix. While the vocals are standout, it seemed to me that the drums, percussion and guitars were mixed a little too far back in the mix. Other than those caveats it's a pretty stellar mix and the articulation is excellent!
post #96 of 1353 Old 03-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

I have the Chicago Earth Wind and Fire BD and it's in no way reference. I'd rank it as far as Concerts a Tier 1 with the Police being reference.

Role Models ( DTS MA)---Tier 2

Typical comedy track. Nothing at all impressive about it.
post #97 of 1353 Old 03-07-2009, 01:25 PM

Just finished compiling votes. The following are up for reference, if more vote them as so (these have 1 vote for reference and no other votes):
  • Destiny's Child: Live in Atlanta (PCM)
  • Signs (PCM)
  • Silent Hill (German release | DTS-HD MA 6.1)
  • The Bourne Identity (DTS-HD MA)
  • The Bourne Supremacy (DTS-HD MA)
  • We Were Soldiers (Australian release | DTS-HD MA)

As for other numbers, I'll let Fanaticalism do what he wishes. And a note, please, when rating/reviewing, write in the movie's title and track you are rating. It is hard work for Fanaticalism as it is already.

petetherock: You note that Ip Man has three flavors, but what are you rating? All three? Or one? And do not say all three if you have only heard one. And it is perfectly fine if you are rating all three, but you didn't specify that you are rating all three.
post #98 of 1353 Old 03-07-2009, 01:45 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg75 View Post

Wanted much like The Dark Knight,is mixed with a very wide dynamic range and dialog levels that are a bit lower.
However,the TDK has a very clearly voiced dialog mix so it is easy to hear at the level that it's at.

I'm not sure what it is about TDK, but I simply can't get that movie to sound right on my setup. I'm even using a different preamp now than the first several times I watched it. All other movies sound great.

It's in the bass area that I'm having trouble. It's muddy, boomy, unclear......not sure what other adjectives to use to describe it, but it just doesn't sound good on my particular system. I've tried running mains at large and small, different crossover settings, etc. It's not that it sounds horrible, just not nearly as good as every other Blu-ray I have that's considered reference quality. Well, actually, Batman Begins is somewhat the same way too, just not as bad. It's mostly with mid-bass passages during the score in both movies.

Every other BD I have sounds fantastic, which confuses me.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #99 of 1353 Old 03-07-2009, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't understand how Ratatouille is reference material. It has its moments for cool bass, especially near the beginning, but overall it was not that much bass. I have an SVS Ultra, so my bass capabilities are more than adequate, and I listen at loud enough levels (-5 reference). So I am listening for the cool bass scenes, and this one seems to have fallen short. Ironically, I just watched WALL-E, which I found much more bass worthy, room shaking bass scattered throughout the movie. It is only Tier 1.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #100 of 1353 Old 03-07-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

I don't understand how Ratatouille is reference material. It has its moments for cool bass, especially near the beginning, but overall it was not that much bass. I have an SVS Ultra, so my bass capabilities are more than adequate, and I listen at loud enough levels (-5 reference). So I am listening for the cool bass scenes, and this one seems to have fallen short. Ironically, I just watched WALL-E, which I found much more bass worthy, room shaking bass scattered throughout the movie. It is only Tier 1.

It's about more than bass. It's based on overall audio quality.
post #101 of 1353 Old 03-07-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg75 View Post

No it is not your set-up......
Wanted much like The Dark Knight,is mixed with a very wide dynamic range and dialog levels that are a bit lower.
However,the TDK has a very clearly voiced dialog mix so it is easy to hear at the level that it's at.
Wanted has a few inconsistencies with its dialog mix.....the bigger set pieces sound the best.
But as you noted,scenes that feature dialog only have some issues that are not just volume related.
Is your system calibrated?
Next time you watch Wanted,try boosting your center channel level by 1db....it'll help.

It is calibrated through Audyssey (Onkyo 806) and tweaked a bit more to my liking afterwards. My center is already at +4db, when the Audyssey-recommended level was -2.5db.

Oddly, TDK sounds pretty good all the way through.

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
post #102 of 1353 Old 03-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Changeling (DTS-MA) tier 0

I was very impressed with this track. Very consistent and just enveloped you in the sound field which was even more impressive considering the material since this is not a bombastic movie by any means. This track was so convincing for me that I actually paused the film 3-4 times thinking somebody was upstairs or outside the HT due to simple things the track did so well such as footsteps and little ambient cues...this made me feel a bit uneasy considering the disturbing nature of the film, but the track did its job. all these things were subtle, but noticeable.

LFE is almost non existent, but that is not a knock as the film only calls for it a few times in which it performs (a couple shotgun blasts had nice appropriate tactile energy, and there was one part where the score summoned up some hellish LFE for a few moments which provided a very dramatic and convincing feeling of uneasiness) fine.

I will say I dont think this was a good choice for a Sat night movie with the GF out of town considering the way I feel right now, but it certainly was convincing.

Body of Lies (TrueHD) tier 2

This track was very inconsistent IMO in just about every area. Some parts that should have had big LFE there was none while other times it was fine (but even then, seemed a bit lacking). LFE would then come out of the blue through the music that was just distracting IMO. Surround use was better, but still had some noticeable inconsistencies that caught my attention and pulled me out of the film....no good. Overall a fairly underwhelming track for me and should have been much better for this type of film IMO.

post #103 of 1353 Old 03-07-2009, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
sourbeef / sb1,

IMO (just my opinion only), the following BDs don't deserve to be in Reference Tier.

APOCALYPTO (LPCM) => Tier-0
BAND OF BROTHERS (DTS-HD:MA) => Tier-0 or Tier-1 (because of not much of action sequences)
THE DARK KNIGHT (TrueHD) => Tier-0 (muddy, boomy, unclear at times - except for the sequences involving Bat Pod especially its exit from the mobile)
HELLBOY II: GOLDEN ARMY (DTS-HD:MA) => Tier-0 (Excellent LFE but somehow doesn't sound convincing to my eyes)
THE MATRIX (TrueHD) => Tier-0 or Tier-1 (Lack of LFE)
RATATOUILLE (LPCM) => Tier-0

Blu-ray : 340
post #104 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

IIRC you don't even have the capability to listen to lossless soundtracks so how could you possibly know if they were reference or not? If that has changed then I would have to disagree with you because I agree with the placement of all the films.
post #105 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post

IIRC you don't even have the capability to listen to lossless soundtracks so how could you possibly know if they were reference or not? If that has changed then I would have to disagree with you because I agree with the placement of all the films.

I am assuming you mean lgans, because I can tell you for certainty that I would consider most of the tracks of the movies he mentioned for tier 0 are beyond a doubt reference IMO. Namely TDK, APocalypto, Ratatouille and Hellboy 2 which I own.
post #106 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

[b]
Madagascar Escape 2 Africa (TrueHD) tier 1

While a fairly solid all around track, there were definitely some missed sound moments that the better animated films hit and the track just seemed run of the mill to me for some reason. Not sure what the mainstream reviewers were hearing, but my experience was fairly dif from theirs. Not a bad track, just nothing special especially after hearing tracks such as KFP which have set the bar very high for animation IMO.

Totally agree. I thought this track was overrated by most of the professional reviewers. I was one of the few who didn't rate it near reference. KFP has indeed set the new bar for animated films and this one isn't even close.
Not sure I even put my own rating for this film in the old audio thread but if I didn't I would have suggested tier 1 as well.
post #107 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 06:49 AM

Seems as if a few folks are only focusing on the LFE.
post #108 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Shawshank Redemption TrueHD Tier 3

One of my favorite films. Dialogue comes through very nicely and clearly in the center channel. Not a whole lot of rear presence.
post #109 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

The bass is only one aspect of the whole sound experience and the degree to which it is used will vary from one film to another. If they put in Transformers type LFE/bass in the Rat, it would be completely ridiculous and uncalled for while managing to take you out of the film at the same time. As far as Rat goes, the parts where bass was appropriate, it was there (IMO). I dont remember catching any parts that I thought should have contained LFE and did not have it. What parts in particular did you think should have had more LFE?

post #110 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Totally agree. I thought this track was overrated by most of the professional reviewers. I was one of the few who didn't rate it near reference. KFP has indeed set the new bar for animated films and this one isn't even close.
Not sure I even put my own rating for this film in the old audio thread but if I didn't I would have suggested tier 1 as well.

Good to know I am not crazy! . Just seemed to fall a bit short at quite a few moments to my ears compared to some of the better animated tracks.

post #111 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Good to know I am not crazy! . Just seemed to fall a bit short at quite a few moments to my ears compared to some of the better animated tracks.

My wife loves the hippo scene. I've caught her singing, "I like 'em big, I like 'em chunky..." more than once.
post #112 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

My wife loves the hippo scene. I've caught her singing, "I like 'em big, I like 'em chunky..." more than once.

That scene is great I actualy enjoyed the film quite a bit more than I expected to. The zebras had me cracking up! Just a good fun film IMO and the PQ is fantastic as well I thought.

post #113 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:

That scene is great I actualy enjoyed the film quite a bit more than I expected to. The zebras had me cracking up! Just a good fun film IMO and the PQ is fantastic as well I thought.

I always love the Penguins personally.
post #114 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 11:46 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I still haven't gotten to see KFP yet. I'm going to make it a point to watch it this coming week, especially since the soundtrack is spoken so highly of.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #115 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Transporter 3 (DTS MA)---Tier 0

Wow I wasn't expecting so much bass from this movie. I must admit that it scared the crap outta me once cause I wasn't expecting it. Dialouge crisp and clear for the most part. It's a 7.1 mix but since I'm 5.1 only I can't comment on the two extra channels. But use of the surrounds was ok from what I heard. While in the car it pretty much sounded like you were there. All in all a good track.
post #116 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Grand Canyon Adventure: River At Risk (DTS-MA 5.1) - Reference

Surrounds were used throughout with many discrete sounds. Clear and crisp throughout. Dave Matthews Band did the music and songs which added to the experience. Narration by Robert Redford did not in any way detract from the enjoyment and was very informative. LFE was appropriate.
About the film itself: Most of the filming was done on the river with scenes going through Lava Falls and some of the lesser rapids. There were a lot of scenic shots showing the expanse of the area. I wish they would have spent more time in Havasupai. The underlying message is water conservation. A lot of history was given explaining the changes in the Colorado River and the effect on the Grand Canyon. Whether you've been to the Grand Canyon or not this video is worth seeing. It is being shown in IMAX theatres in 3D but the 3D version unfortunately isn't available for purchase.

Australia (DTS-MA 5.1) - Tier 1

Surrounds are used throughout with some occasional discrete sounds. LFE was exceptional at times but at others could have been better (toward the end of the movie with explosions) Dialogue was generally clear but at times difficult to discern. (This was more due to the dialect and the speed the person was talking rather than a problem with the sound itself).

Pretty Woman (5.1 Uncompressed 48kHz/24-bit) - Tier 2

Dialogue driven with little use of surrounds. Front directionality a few times. Dialogue was clear throughout. The music sounded good but once again from the front. LFE was appropriate for the film.
post #117 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

sourbeef / sb1,

IMO (just my opinion only), the following BDs don't deserve to be in Reference Tier.

APOCALYPTO (LPCM) => Tier-0
BAND OF BROTHERS (DTS-HD:MA) => Tier-0 or Tier-1 (because of not much of action sequences)
THE DARK KNIGHT (TrueHD) => Tier-0 (muddy, boomy, unclear at times - except for the sequences involving Bat Pod especially its exit from the mobile)
HELLBOY II: GOLDEN ARMY (DTS-HD:MA) => Tier-0 (Excellent LFE but somehow doesn't sound convincing to my eyes)
THE MATRIX (TrueHD) => Tier-0 or Tier-1 (Lack of LFE)
RATATOUILLE (LPCM) => Tier-0

Of course this won't sound convincing to your eyes, silly!

Are you submitting this as a vote for these titles? I've counted votes up to this point, but not yours simply because I'm not sure if you have typed this as your formal review.
post #118 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 04:29 PM

Liked: 11
How can Ratatouille not be reference? Its one of the most impressively mixed soundtracks I have ever heard. The detail is insane and the Grandma scene has extremely satisfying LFE whilst being tight as a drum.
post #119 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

I still haven't gotten to see KFP yet. I'm going to make it a point to watch it this coming week, especially since the soundtrack is spoken so highly of.

I hope you have a good sub and you can crank it up. KFP is the bomb.

Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #120 of 1353 Old 03-08-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The bass is only one aspect of the whole sound experience and the degree to which it is used will vary from one film to another. If they put in Transformers type LFE/bass in the Rat, it would be completely ridiculous and uncalled for while managing to take you out of the film at the same time. As far as Rat goes, the parts where bass was appropriate, it was there (IMO). I dont remember catching any parts that I thought should have contained LFE and did not have it. What parts in particular did you think should have had more LFE?

The Rat started out well enough. The beginning scenes with the thunderstorm, grandma shootout, river ride and waterfall were working my SVS Ultra in a good way . I was all set for another Kung Fu Panda type experience . Then the movie went quiet for the most part on LFE . Disappointing. I just like to hear the cool bass in movies.

Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page