post #182 of 1353 Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

Based solely on this review my guess is that Bolt will be the new number 1 for PQ and AQ. I still think Baraka should take the number 1 PQ spot and Divertimenti clearly deserves the number 1 AQ spot.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post16036293

Looks like a couple others are giving it perfect scores for audio and video as well. Of course the real judges are in this thread.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...view-bolt.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2042/bolt.html

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 1353 Old 03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Interestingly the HTF review says it's a "6.1" track, Bracke on HDD says it's a "5.1". Which is it?

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #184 of 1353 Old 03-17-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apparently, the Blot Blu-ray actually released to some stores today instead of on the 22nd. Best buy is showing it in stock and a commercial just said it was released today.
post #185 of 1353 Old 03-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Interestingly the HTF review says it's a "6.1" track, Bracke on HDD says it's a "5.1". Which is it?

Not sure, but Ralph also has it listed as 6.1. Dvdtown has it as 5.1 though...who knows.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #186 of 1353 Old 03-17-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

Primal Fear (TrueHD) - Tier 1

For a catalog title this has some of the best sound I've heard in a long time. Surrounds were active throughout with directionality. Considering it is a dialogue driven movie the sound takes advantage of every opportunity. There are some discrete sounds, tinkling of silverware, footsteps. Dialogue is clear throughout except during one chase scene on foot. LFE was not significant for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post

Primal Fear (TrueHD)---Tier 3

I'd have to go the complete opposite way. Wasn't impressed at all as it was a typical dialouge driven track. Compared to other titles in Tier 1 I don't think it matches up. I actually thought I was listening to a DD track.

Primal Fear TrueHD Tier 2

I'll split the difference and go tier 2. I do agree that for a dialogue-heavy mid 90s drama, not too bad. Nice surround presence when needed.
post #187 of 1353 Old 03-17-2009, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Back cover shows DTS HD-MA 5.1 http://www.thehdroom.com/coverartvie...=bluray&back=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #188 of 1353 Old 03-17-2009, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Eagle Eye (Dolby TrueHD 5.1) Tier 1

Not much to say about this track, i was a little disappointed as I feel this could have been done better than it was. With the exception of a couple of scenes nothing really stood out for me.

At least the movie was better than I thought it would be.
post #189 of 1353 Old 03-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Back cover shows DTS HD-MA 5.1 http://www.thehdroom.com/coverartvie...=bluray&back=1

Ralph has confirmed a 6.1 track in post #67....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1129278&page=3

post #190 of 1353 Old 03-17-2009, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshouse View Post

Just wanted to see if Fanaticalism was awake out there

Sorry for being so slow guys. I am almost done updating from the old thread.

I work in finance, and with everything that has been going on, I have been very busy. So many guideline, opportunity, and regulatory changes. Basically, the flood gates are opening, and it isn't big enough for everyone to squeeze through at the same time.
post #191 of 1353 Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Why is Domino in tier 1? As far as I can tell there have been only 2 votes and both were for tier 0....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...o#post15879086

and my vote which was tier 0 as well.

post #192 of 1353 Old 03-17-2009, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

No worries. I appreciate you volunteering for the task.
post #193 of 1353 Old 03-18-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

I work in finance, and with everything that has been going on, I have been very busy. So many guideline, opportunity, and regulatory changes. Basically, the flood gates are opening, and it isn't big enough for everyone to squeeze through at the same time.

Thanks for the update! Your editor is calling again though with three points lol:

1) GRAND CANON ADVENTURE: RIVER AT RISK (DTS-HD:MA) should be Grand Canyon
2) LEGENDS OF JAZZ WITH RAMSEY LEWIS: SHOWCASE (TrueHD) is listed in the Reference and Tier 0 categories
3) Domino moved from tier 1 to tier 0 since there are only 2 votes for it (that I found) and both are tier 0.
post #194 of 1353 Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshouse View Post

Thanks for the update! Your editor is calling again though with three points lol:

1) GRAND CANON ADVENTURE: RIVER AT RISK (DTS-HD:MA) should be Grand Canyon
2) LEGENDS OF JAZZ WITH RAMSEY LEWIS: SHOWCASE (TrueHD) is listed in the Reference and Tier 0 categories
3) The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian was formerly Tier 0, and now doesn't appear anywhere on the list.

Prince Caspian is listed in reference now. We can replace that #3 with...

3) Domino moved from tier 1 to tier 0 since there are only 2 votes for it (that I found) and both are tier 0.

post #195 of 1353 Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 AM

I edited my post. Sorry about the mistake.
post #196 of 1353 Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legairre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Ralph has confirmed a 6.1 track in post #67....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1129278&page=3

Sounds like Disney messed up the packaging.

post #197 of 1353 Old 03-18-2009, 09:25 AM

Based on what I have heard here, I rented U-571 via Netflix. It sounded great of course, but I did experience a few audio dropouts along the way. I was worried at first and tested a few other BD's, but had no other problems. I'm sure it's just the disc itself. I'll re-rent it and try again.
post #198 of 1353 Old 03-18-2009, 09:26 AM

Superman Returns is on the list with LPCM but it's also Dolby TrueHD.

I would vote for Poltergeist to be Tier 2.

It sounds dynamic when it needs to be and voices are crystal clear through the center channel with the occasional rear surround effect and most importantly it does not sound compressed at all and the music score sounds fabulous on this release.

The reason i would vote for Tier 2 is because it is not a full blown surround sound extravaganza but it is rich and sounds great.

( I wouldn't complain if others voted Tier 3 but i think it's sound is rich and lively enough for Tier 2 )

I'll check out The Searchers bitrate for you later today or tomorrow.
post #199 of 1353 Old 03-18-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Afro Samurai (dolby THD) Tier 3 ---currently tier 1
This mix isn't much better then your typical CN fare. Muted dynamics [I set late night to "off"] almost zero bass, not much directional surrounds, but mostly atmosphere. RZA's music was mixed too low compared to the dialog, and most fx as well. Lot's of intentional distortion on music, [it's funny what passes as art these days] and generally this is just a boring unimaginative mix and design, much like this miniseries which is just a dumb-ass excuse to "throw red paint" on the screen.

The Hun
post #200 of 1353 Old 03-18-2009, 04:08 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone heard Quantum of Solace yet? I have high hopes for this.
post #201 of 1353 Old 03-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Punisher: War Zone (DTS-MA 7.1) tier 0

This was a very solid all around track with no weak points, but nothing incredibly exceptional either as all aspects of this track have been done better with one reference track or another. LFE was "punishing"(pun intended), dialog was fine, surround use was awesome for the most part. There were some great directional type moments as well. Solid tier 0 track IMO.

On a side note, this movie made Max Payne look like Oscar material IMO!

post #202 of 1353 Old 03-18-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Twister in tier 0? I never saw that there before or did i just miss it? Might have to give that a viewing
post #203 of 1353 Old 03-18-2009, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Transporter 3 (DTS-MA 7.1) - Tier 1
I can understand why IH and Max Payne are reference, IH has plenty of sonic detail to go with the abundant deep bass, Max Payne uses deep bass to accentuate certain things and it does so with some superbly clean LFE.

Transporter 3 is nothing but LFE for the sake of LFE. The entire score relies upon very deep electric drum beats, which isn't really all that bad until the score gets cranked up during the action scenes and drowns out whatever sound effects are there(some are missing, Ill get to that in a minute). Punches are synced with the score so that when someone is hit it's usually matched by a drum hit.

Now for the missing sounds, the punches that are heard are much too light for an over the top action movie like this; and no they don't try to do that realist meaty 'thud' thing either. I think they might have had to tone some stuff down for the PG-13 rating(boo kids and lionsgate for catering to them). Right at the beginning Statham takes a dudes leg and snaps it right in half like a twig, no noise just a drum beat. You get appropriate swooshes and such when arms and legs are swung, but with none of the impact. Don't expect anything even resembling Bourne cranked down from 10 to 5 in the hand to hand combat department.

The cars sound OK, there's only one car chase in the movie. Your typical episode of Top Gear has better recordings, and more interesting editing of car sounds. Then there are the guns - handguns, sub-machine guns, assault rifles, american, european - they all make the same sound, and they don't seem to change from environment to environment.

I didn't get a True 360 soundfield they way I did when watching Transformers, BHD, TDK, or Wanted. Then again this was probably due to the score drowning out most discreet effects. The dialogue also had this nasty ADR quality to it, it's super clean but it looks synced and whenever someone finishes speaking it's almost as if there mic has been turned off(IDK what that was about, is that what sound gates do?). Personally I think Transporter 2 has the best sound of all 3.

But if you want room shaking LFE by the truckload then this is the disc you want to use. High points - track is super dynamic, whisper to building falling in a breath, fidelity is top notch. 2 best sound moments in the movie are pretty much the same thing - a car crashes into something very violently and it sounds like it's happening in your room. Cool.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #204 of 1353 Old 03-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Wow, nice review SR^^^^ I have Transporter 3 sitting here, but have not watched it yet.

post #205 of 1353 Old 03-19-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:

This was a very solid all around track with no weak points, but nothing incredibly exceptional either as all aspects of this track have been done better with one reference track or another. LFE was "punishing"(pun intended), dialog was fine, surround use was awesome for the most part. There were some great directional type moments as well. Solid tier 0 track IMO.

On a side note, this movie made Max Payne look like Oscar material IMO!

Same vote for me:

post #206 of 1353 Old 03-19-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Die Hard 4 is listed twice in the reference section as LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD (DTS-HD:MA) and DIE HARD 4.0 (DTS-HD:MA)

post #207 of 1353 Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 AM

The mono track of The Searchers runs at 192kbp/s.
post #208 of 1353 Old 03-20-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Domino (TrueHD) tier 0

I am playing tug of war with this one between reference and tier 0. The ONLY thing that ultimately just kept this one out of reference for me is that dialog would on occasion be drowned out a bit due to the music or other sound elements being so powerfull. I very much felt the dialog that was slightly drowned out was significant to the story which is why I ultimately decided to knock this down a hair.

Having said the previous paragraph, holy ****! I loved this track! It is extremely aggressive and potent with the entire sound system going the whole movie within reason, but for this film it worked IMO. Some films this would take me out of the movie, but this one it fit and just sucked me right in and never let go. Right from the get-go you know this track is out for blood with Max Payne caliber shot gun blasts and it never lets up and infact the last battle so to speak takes it up even another notch. Explosions sound and feel amazing...Surrounds, LFE, discrete moments are all top notch IMO. My room has not been this "alive" in quite some time. If I owned this disc, the whole end battle would be one of the things I would throw on to demo my system. I am still torn as I could easily go reference with this one......

Domino (Dolby THD EX)Tier 0
Yes I agree the dialog was drowned out in some places, mostly on Keira's narration which is important indeed.
I also agree it was aggressive indeed, but it started to wear on me a bit, mostly from the relentless tension bass hits which is being over used here quiet a bit. To me that was the reason I didn't go reference. I do like aggressive tracks I'm on the record on that, but this was a solid 2 hr aural attack that simply never let's up. If we would differentiate within the tier it self this would be in the lower Tier 0 for me.

Some of you might have issues with the Dolby THD track when you bitstream it. It has to do with the fact that it is EX encoded as well. It took me 1m,19 sec to get a lock. I wish Warner and New Line would abandon this in the future, as many of us have PLIIx or other back surround extractor modes.

The Hun
post #209 of 1353 Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mission Impossible 3(DD640) - Tier 0Reference...maybe

I really want to call this one reference, to me it's just on the cusp - the titles in Ref are really top of the line and I feel this one misses it by a hair. I now understand why Paramount took so long to go with Lossless audio, this was probably the first disc they demoed. And man what a mix.

Dialogue is clear and clean. Track is super dynamic. Loads of 'punch to the chest' bass, and very clean mids. Not a whole lot of earth shaking LFE but it's there when appropriate. All of the gunshots sound proper depending on the weapon type(9mm don't sound like cannons! - I'm looking at you Payne), and the guns don't all sound the same.

Surround use and pans are used for some really fantastic effects. The score is amazing and mixed in just right to help the story and and build tension and illicit emotion. The entire soundscape can get very busy and aggressive and sonic detail isn't impaired.

This is now one of my favorite discs for audio. Ok everyone who said legacy can sound as good as lossless, you were right. At least until Paramount re-issues this with a TrueHD track.

This disc was one of the first; should be cheap now, buy one.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #210 of 1353 Old 03-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Domino (Dolby THD EX)Tier 0
Yes I agree the dialog was drowned out in some places, mostly on Keira's narration which is important indeed.
I also agree it was aggressive indeed, but it started to wear on me a bit, mostly from the relentless tension bass hits which is being over used here quiet a bit. To me that was the reason I didn't go reference. I do like aggressive tracks I'm on the record on that, but this was a solid 2 hr aural attack that simply never let's up. If we would differentiate within the tier it self this would be in the lower Tier 0 for me.

Some of you might have issues with the Dolby THD track when you bitstream it. It has to do with the fact that it is EX encoded as well. It took me 1m,19 sec to get a lock. I wish Warner and New Line would abandon this in the future, as many of us have PLIIx or other back surround extractor modes.

Well good to know I am not crazy as far as my dialog findings I can totaly understand your feelings about this track wearing on you as I can see that happening for some. I also had issues getting a lock on this track.

Transporter 3 (DTS-MA 7.1) Reference

Talk about getting a LFE/bass fix! First of all, everything about this track was very solid to my ears, but the standout here is LFE/bass no doubt and personally I loved it. Dynamics are amazing. The crashes and explosions in this film just might be the best I have heard/felt. They were that good and convincing. Some of these moments were so 3-dimensional it was stunning with debris falling all around you including behind the listening position with the room just completely filled with LFE....WOW! One of the most potent LFE tracks in quite some time IMO, BUT it fit the ridiculous over the top material perfectly I thought.

Some of the more quiet moments (what few there are) are also very convincing including a train sequence that sounds as if you are on the train and a fishing boat scene that really comes to life all around you.

Having said all that, I can certainly see some others points of view as far as not liking this track so much, but for me it was a winner in every way, especially the low end!

Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page