AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKreutzer View Post

Il Barbiere Di Siviglia...
I listened to this Decca release with Florez/Bayo now twice and picture and audio are first rate. Highly recommended.....

I liked this performance very much. I thought Raimondi's "La Calumnia" was superb. There certainly are many directorial quicks such as Rosina literally being "on a pedestal". The wig for Rosina was terrible. As if often the case, I preferred to listen in 2 channel rather than surround. Worthwhile extras too. Curious that this is a Decca release (at least in the USA) when Opus Arte is prominently listed as a producer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1226 Old 05-23-2009, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stridonolassu View Post

Out on 28 July 2009, it's the 2007 The Pirates of Penzance from Opera Australia that has already been released on DVD.

I failed to mention two things. The release date is for the United States. More important is that this Kultur release is coded for region A (Americas, Japan, SE Asia). No version for Europe for the time being as far as I know.
post #93 of 1226 Old 05-24-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:

No version for Europe for the time being as far as I know.

Yes I am sorry to say.
post #94 of 1226 Old 05-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mozart: Don Giovanni review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...05&show=review

Andrew
post #95 of 1226 Old 05-24-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

I was disappointed with De Nederlandse Opera's BD of Mozart's Die Entfuhrung Aus Dem Serail. I am a huge Mozart fan, and really like this opera. However, this Blu-Ray disk is just fair in almost every way. Except for Kurt Rydl's quality bass performance of Osmin, the other major roles were nothing special. The sets and costumes were mediocre in every way.

I believe anyone who spends $30 to $40 for this disk will be disappointed. Check it out on Netflix first. I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch it more than once. Here's hoping another, better version will be available soon on Blu-Ray.
post #96 of 1226 Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Years ago Netflix didn't carry too many opera titles. But it now carries quite a few titles in Blu-ray. I'm tending to rent on Netflix before deciding to buy.
post #97 of 1226 Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_HD View Post

Mozart: Don Giovanni review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...05&show=review

Andrew

This Don Giovanni contains tenor aria "Il mio tesoro", Harmonia Mundi version lacks it.
post #98 of 1226 Old 06-02-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last week I watched the O.A. Carmen Blu-ray with Anne Sophie von Otter. I've owned this on DVD for some time and very much like it. I thought von Otter's unrestrained performance in this David McVicar production was spectacular. (For a more descriptive assessment, see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354443/ I recently found that she does the Habanera in the Berlin Philharmonic's 1997 New Year's concert --- that Netlix disc will be on the way soon.)

The Carmen was recorded in 2002, so there's a fair amount of video noise in dark scenes, much like the Magic Flute. But, it's well worth checking out!
post #99 of 1226 Old 06-02-2009, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by filemile View Post

This Don Giovanni contains tenor aria "Il mio tesoro", Harmonia Mundi version lacks it.

That's only one of many, many differences.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #100 of 1226 Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneily View Post

... Danielle de Niese energizes this opera from standard Handel fare ... This lady has enormous talent, and I can't wait to see what else she can do in opera.

A few days ago we watched my HD recording of the PBS telecast of the Metropolitan Opera's production of Gluck's Orfeo ed Euridice with Stephanie Blythe and Danielle de Niese. An excellent performance. Blythe is the star, but de Niese is also very good and their voices blend nicely.
post #101 of 1226 Old 06-04-2009, 10:58 PM

Out on Blu-ray on July 28th 2009 in the U.S.:

Arthaus Musik: La rondine (La Fenice 2008), Siegfried (Weimar 2008)
Opus Arte: Hänsel und Gretel (ROH 2008), Le nozze di Figaro (ROH 2006), La gazzetta (Liceu 2005)

All except Hänsel and Siegfried have already been released on DVD. Kultur's Pirates of Penzance (mentioned earlier) comes out on the same day.

There is also a Blu-ray/SACD audio only release from 2L: "Flute Mystery". Music by Fred Jonny Berg. Emily Beynon (flute), Catherine Beynon (harp), Philharmonia Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenazy (conductor)

Opera on DVD and Blu-ray List:
http://stridonolassu.googlepages.com
post #102 of 1226 Old 06-05-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

That's only one of many, many differences.

The Gramophone: "Fine singing and watchable production - but Mackerras is the true star...It's all to the good if the Giovanni can turn a serenade as ingratiatingly as Simon Keenlyside does"
post #103 of 1226 Old 06-05-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

The Gramophone: "Fine singing and watchable production - but Mackerras is the true star...It's all to the good if the Giovanni can turn a serenade as ingratiatingly as Simon Keenlyside does"

Yes, that is apparent from the first note of the overture. However, the contrasts in musical direction between Mackerras and Jacobs are striking and pervasive.

I was not impressed with the production which I found serviceable but not attractive.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #104 of 1226 Old 06-10-2009, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Recently I rented the Opus Arte Blu-ray (two discs) of Handel's Tamerlano - an entirely unfamiliar piece for me. http://www.opusarte.com/pages/product.asp?ProductID=277 A rather stark, abstract set including such things as a giant foot on a large globe, a blue elephant, etc. The significance of these elements escaped me. The audio/video quality was excellent. I listened to the PCM 2.0 track as I can't play the PCM 5.0 track. A very good performance. But Handel is a bit long winded for my taste. A review of a performance a few days after the recording was made: http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle3721112.ece
post #105 of 1226 Old 06-11-2009, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'd seen previews / promos on other discs for the 2005 Salzburg La Traviata Blu-ray with Netrebko, Villazon and Hampson. The stark set was not appealing. But I finally got around to renting it. A rather unorthodox production, but for the most part it worked very well indeed. This is one I'm adding to my collection.
post #106 of 1226 Old 06-11-2009, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As a complete contrast to the Salzburg 2005 production, I hope for a Blu-ray of Franco Zefferelli's film version from 1982 with Stratas and Domingo.
post #107 of 1226 Old 06-11-2009, 03:41 PM
CFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post

As a complete contrast to the Salzburg 2005 production, I hope for a Blu-ray of Franco Zefferelli's film version from 1982 with Stratas and Domingo.

If they do make a blu ray, I hope they do something about the audio. Domingo sounds Ok, but there is a lot of distortion on the Stratus audio.
post #108 of 1226 Old 06-11-2009, 03:43 PM
CFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post

If they do make a blu ray, I hope they do something about the audio. Domingo sounds Ok, but there is a lot of distortion on the Stratus audio.

Correction, Stratas - sorry Teresa!
post #109 of 1226 Old 06-12-2009, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I'd seen previews / promos on other discs for the 2005 Salzburg La Traviata Blu-ray with Netrebko, Villazon and Hampson. The stark set was not appealing. But I finally got around to renting it. A rather unorthodox production, but for the most part it worked very well indeed. This is one I'm adding to my collection.

I don't like the HD cam look with oversharpened edges much which is standard on this production. I hope more and more of these performances are shot with Red cameras or other cameras that provide a film like look. Or at least disable the sharpening on regular HD cameras.
post #110 of 1226 Old 06-12-2009, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

I don't like the HD cam look with oversharpened edges much which is standard on this production.

I guess I'm fortunate that I didn't see "oversharpened edges".

By the way, over at a thread on Amadeus http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16312275 Josh Z and I requested specific places where you observed digital processing issues. Then again, maybe I'm better off not knowing...
post #111 of 1226 Old 06-13-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:

I failed to mention two things. The release date is for the United States. More important is that this Kultur release is coded for region A (Americas, Japan, SE Asia). No version for Europe for the time being as far as I know.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pirates-Penz...910248&sr=1-30

This is coded for region A, B, C.
post #112 of 1226 Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pirates-Penz...910248&sr=1-30

This is coded for region A, B, C.

Thanks, filemile. Are you sure about the coding? It looks like this is the same US version. The back still says Region A/1. Or is that a misprint on Kultur's part?
post #113 of 1226 Old 06-15-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:

Thanks, filemile. Are you sure about the coding? It looks like this is the same US version. The back still says Region A/1. Or is that a misprint on Kultur's part?

Back cover says ABC.
post #114 of 1226 Old 06-15-2009, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I'm fortunate that I didn't see "oversharpened edges".
By the way, over at a thread on Amadeus http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16312275 Josh Z and I requested specific places where you observed digital processing issues. Then again, maybe I'm better off not knowing...

I remember but had no time so far. The halos from sharpening on Traviata are hard to miss if you watch in 1080p and look at high contrast edges. I can't do stills myself to show examples, but if you need a time code I can find some quickly. Promis.
post #115 of 1226 Old 06-15-2009, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I remember but had no time so far. The halos from sharpening on Traviata are hard to miss if you watch in 1080p and look at high contrast edges. I can't do stills myself to show examples, but if you need a time code I can find some quickly. Promis.

Thanks! I only have a 720p projector. Perhaps that explains why I didn't notice an edge problem. Still, a time code or two would be appreciated, both for me and for other viewers with 1080p equipment.
post #116 of 1226 Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I posted this in the other thread before realizing it was continued here...so here it goes again:

I am listening to Herbert von Karajan Memorial concert right now with my new B&W speakers. It is such a treat. It offers lossless 2.0 (though I let my sub play with it so it is actually 2.1) and losless 5.1. Frankly the 5.1 is mind-blowing. I just had to stop typing and watch for a minute as I listened to Frau Mutter go off on a solo on the violin. It is a great piece of work, and I can warmly recommend it.

I also have the Bach Brandenburg Concertos 1-6 which offers the same sound, and is indeed made by the same company. This concert is freaking awesome, the harpsichord solos are just completely insane. The whole interpretation is one of the best I have heard for these oft played and oft poorly interpreted concertos.

These two discs are my favorite classical music discs at the moment. You can't go wrong with either of them, and I am heartily impressed with the Medici Arts label productions. Both that I have are just great quality all around.

Edit- Both offer only 1080i video quality, but you won't miss the 1080p video here really.

Regards,
post #117 of 1226 Old 06-15-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

...Edit- Both offer only 1080i video quality, but you won't miss the 1080p video here really.

Regards,

Only is the wrong word since they were likely shot on video and not film. 1080i 60Hz video actually requires about 25% more bandwidth than 1080p 24Hz (film sourced).
post #118 of 1226 Old 06-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Only is the wrong word since they were likely shot on video and not film. 1080i 60Hz video actually requires about 25% more bandwidth than 1080p 24Hz (film sourced).

Well the technical details aside, as I mentioned you won't even care or notice for that matter. It is more than fine as it is and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again even if there were no video.
post #119 of 1226 Old 06-16-2009, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! I only have a 720p projector. Perhaps that explains why I didn't notice an edge problem. Still, a time code or two would be appreciated, both for me and for other viewers with 1080p equipment.

It's visible all the time but here is a good example: 14:53-15:01. The halos and ringing around her and him are not subtle at all.
post #120 of 1226 Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's visible all the time but here is a good example: 14:53-15:01. The halos and ringing around her and him are not subtle at all.

Thanks! I returned my rental copy and my purchased copy hasn't yet arrived. I'll check it out in a few days.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page