Pride and Prejudice (1995) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Surprised to find no talk of 'Pride and Prejudice' (1995), releasing on Blu-ray tomorrow.

It appears to be a mirror of the already released 2-disc UK version. Guessing the mini-series is split over 2 50GB discs, or only extras on disc 2? The before/after screenshots posted in the DVDBeaver link above have me excited about the PQ.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked: 2354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Surprised to find no talk of 'Pride and Prejudice' (1995), releasing on Blu-ray tomorrow.

It appears to be a mirror of the already released 2-disc UK version. Guessing the mini-series is split over 2 50GB discs, or only extras on disc 2? The before/after screenshots posted in the DVDBeaver link above have me excited about the PQ.

This BBC miniseries is the definitive Pride and Prejudice in my book. As wonderful as Keira Knightly was in the 2005 movie version, Jennifer Ehle gave the performance of a lifetime as Elizabeth Bennett in the miniseries and Colin firth, as Mr. Darcy, was almost as impressive . It is in my queue at BB and I look forward to seeing it again.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #3 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Indications I've seen from a number of Websites and retailers suggest that it's been pushed back to 4/14.

I don't feel special...

post #4 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

You're right...Amazon now has 4/14. I may just import this from Amazon UK. Even w/shipping, the total comes to $25.01 w/today's exchange rate. Cheaper than Amazon USA by about 3 bucks.

post #5 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 01:25 PM

Yep, BB says the release date will be 4/14, too.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Crestron Control System; Hsu VTF-3 MK3 Turbo subwoofer, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR
post #6 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 10
A friend of mine has preordered this. I can't wait to see it on Blu!
post #7 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm dying for a comparison pix thread for this title. DVD Beaver has one, but they don't include full-size BD pix. My gf is a big fan, but I haven't been able to sell her on the upgrade. She says the DVD is "fine". The DVD Beaver comparo might help change her mind, but I really want to A-B screenshots on the big screen. That might get her thinking.

I don't feel special...
post #8 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I saw some comparisons on an Amazon blog thing, but they were HORRIBLE representations. They had to have been using the VHS copy, because they weren't even widescreen, they were 4:3 shots, and thus obviously pumping the BRD up even higher. That said, the BR shots that they had did look good and showed more clarity even compared to what I have. If I can find the link again I'll post it for you, spectator.

edited to add: although the link might help your cause rather than hinder it, it still made me mad b/c I felt it was a misrepresentation of what is available on DVD currently.
post #9 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, G3!

Since I have the DVD set, I can acquire those shots just fine, if I have to. What I really need is some clean, full-size screengrabs from the BD (preferably not re-compressed).

I don't feel special...
post #10 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Geez April 14? My wife was looking forward to this so much tomorrow. She has the dvd version. Oh well. From that site above it looks great.
post #11 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I couldn't wait...got the Import version for my wife for Christmas. We are very familar with all of the US releases of this movie, so in case you're wondering, it's PQ is a vast improvement over previous releases (even better than the VHS release! ). In all honesty, there are still some video problems near the beginning (colors not all that vibrant, details not all that sharp), but they are nowhere near as bad as in the previous releases. The sound track was pleasing and voices were very clear (my wife kept on commenting on how nice it was to be able to hear and understand everything).

All told, we were very pleased with this release. If you don't want to wait any longer, just go for it.
post #12 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 04:28 PM

Not entirely sure if I'll be picking this up, but the miniseries is wonderful and it's very nice to see it's getting a good home video release. The DVD looks awful.
post #13 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The BBC TV series? No way!!! My wife watches this so often even I have memorized the dialog. But isn't this recorded with 1995 TV technology (SD)? Will it be upscaled?

I'm tempted to order this from amazon.com this instant except that I'm concerned it might be no better than the DVD's which are so noisy and washed out.
post #14 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Broadcast on TV in 1995, but shot on film, I believe.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #15 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Oh, I've just read here http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ce_blu-ray.htm that the original source is 16mm film, so it will be alright, and a definite upgrade from DVD. There's a bit more color, too.
post #16 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I thought,I will pass this BD cause HD-DVD was did a great job already.
post #17 of 68 Old 03-30-2009, 10:32 PM

Bought the UK release of this for my girlfriend for Christmas last year. Only saw a little bit of it, but the quality was pretty darn impressive, especially compared to her original A&E DVD release.

Being a lover of Victorian fiction, I'll eventually get around to watching the whole thing. Liked the Keira Knightly version too, which look fantastic on HD DVD.
post #18 of 68 Old 03-31-2009, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

Indications I've seen from a number of Websites and retailers suggest that it's been pushed back to 4/14.

That's odd. Netflix e-mailed me yesterday saying I'll receive it today (Tue 3/31). It's one of the few times I didn't get a "Very Long Wait" for a title. I wonder why the retail channel is pushing the date back.

Still looking for a movie theatre that shows movies the way they're SUPPOSED to be viewed...

...with a bitrate meter and screencaps.
post #19 of 68 Old 03-31-2009, 12:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

I think you're confusing the 2005 version with the 1995 version. The 2005 version HD DVD indeed does look and sound wonderful. I'm interested in seeing how the 1995 BD version turns out.

Still looking for a movie theatre that shows movies the way they're SUPPOSED to be viewed...

post #20 of 68 Old 03-31-2009, 12:39 AM
Advanced Member

@Iljg, dvdbeaver posted these awhile ago from the UK edition, but it should be identical to the US one:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ce_blu-ray.htm
post #21 of 68 Old 03-31-2009, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

I think you're confusing this with the Keira Knightley version. Certainly that was released previously on HD-DVD but this thread is about the BBC mini series.
post #22 of 68 Old 03-31-2009, 05:58 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 1920
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

I'm also getting this from Netflix, shipped yesterday.

I'm eager to see the picture quality.

There were several DVD releases, none entirely satisfactory. It's been a while, but I recall the first was not the full width aspect ratio but had pretty good color. One or two reissues were correct AR but had terribly desaturated color. The Extra Special Anniversary Edition with Book apparently used the same master as the previous wide screen release.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #23 of 68 Old 03-31-2009, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's an interesting .

post #24 of 68 Old 03-31-2009, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Well, now it's straight from one of the horses' mouths: there is a perception that film grain is unsuitable for high definition. Let's hope we don't keep fighting this battle for years the way we did with the excess sharpening done on DVDs.

CW Hinkle
post #25 of 68 Old 03-31-2009, 08:42 AM

I will be interested to see how the BD looks. The technical folks were certainly limited by the miniseries having been shot on 16 MM film instead of 35 but a lot can be done, nonetheless, The best restoration job I know of, by far, was done on the 1989 miniseries, Lonesome Dove. It had been shot on 35 mm stock but was immediately transferred to videotape and shown on TV in 4:3 format. A preview of the show, though, was shown in a theater in 16:9 format. A bunch of people got together and lovingly restored the film for the BD release. I thought the results were thrilling. Highly recommended, by the way.

post #26 of 68 Old 03-31-2009, 02:23 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 1920
I've had a peek at disc 1 (from Netflix) and it looks very nice. The most recent DVD is pretty sad by comparison.

Much better colors, and the detail, although not comparable to a current studio offering, is a big upgrade and as about as good as I would have expected. I always thought the blacks were crushed on previous versions; much better now.

These costume pieces are good test material for their fabric textures, carpet and wallpaper, etc. I found myself trying to read Mr Bennet's newspaper, which I wouldn't have done before.

Disc 1 contains episodes 1-4. I presume disc 2 will have 5-6 and the extras.

English subtitle track. LPCM stereo is the only audio.

For additional Austen I would like the Gwyneth Paltrow EMMA and the Ang Lee/Emma Thompson SENSE AND SENSIBILITY. The Keira Knightly P&P would be welcome also.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #27 of 68 Old 03-31-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

For additional Austen I would like the Gwyneth Paltrow EMMA and the Ang Lee/Emma Thompson SENSE AND SENSIBILITY. The Keira Knightly P&P would be welcome also.

I agree on all counts. I saw the Keira Knightly Sense and Sensibility on BD soon after it was released and was blown away. When I saw the film in the theater, I was amazed at its beauty and thought the BD preserved all of it. It was a very good job from a dramatic perspective, too. Knightly is a gifted young actress.

post #28 of 68 Old 03-31-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I've had a peek at disc 1 (from Netflix) and it looks very nice. The most recent DVD is pretty sad by comparison.

Much better colors, and the detail, although not comparable to a current studio offering, is a big upgrade and as about as good as I would have expected. I always thought the blacks were crushed on previous versions; much better now.

These costume pieces are good test material for their fabric textures, carpet and wallpaper, etc. I found myself trying to read Mr Bennet's newspaper, which I wouldn't have done before.

Disc 1 contains episodes 1-4. I presume disc 2 will have 5-6 and the extras.

English subtitle track. LPCM stereo is the only audio.

-Bill

Thanks for the insight Bill. My wife loves this boxset on DVD and I will most likely pull the trigger and upgrade it to Blu-Ray. I will also have to give it a watch I watched Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightly version) on DVD and actually enjoyed it.
post #29 of 68 Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I love this mini-series... and also love the book, one of my favorites.

I remember having a long discussion about this mini-series with my AP English teacher senior year of high school just after it was released. We had read the book earlier in the year.
post #30 of 68 Old 04-03-2009, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was pleasantly surprised by the PQ of this. A lot of care went into the restoration as was interestingly explained in the extras, and it shows. While there's some artificial sharpness, to the point of being almost "glassy," it was better than I was expecting.

I also forgot how much I liked the lively 6/8 main title music, whose main theme was echoed throughout the series. The AQ was better than I was expecting, too.

Unfortunately, the cartoon-like over-the-top portrayal of Elizabeth Bennet's mother was still the same.

If you've seen this before on TV or DVD, but haven't checked out the Blu-Ray version, I highly recommend it, I think you might be pleasantly surprised by its treatment as well. If not, but you've seen the 2005 version that's on HD DVD (an even better looking and sounding title, due to its recentness), it would also make a fun comparison of how the story was handled...a 6 hour miniseries vs a 2 hour feature film.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page