The Towering Inferno - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 04-02-2009, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 25
On their was as their listed at DVDEmpire for preorder. Was wishing the Original Poseidon Adventure was coming as well. Oh well I'll be picking up both of these.

[mod edit: Removed M*A*S*H. It's Sep 1, 2009]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 04-06-2009, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really like the Towering Inferno and therefore I am really excited about this release. I lost my high quality HD Net OAR recording of this movie that I was saving due to an apparent DVR failure in the early days of high defenition DVRs before HD-lite. I did not notice anymore high quality broadcasts (OAR full HD) since then. This is a definite purchase for me. I will be glad to have a high quality recording of this movie.
post #3 of 50 Old 04-06-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The Towering Inferno is a Must Buy for me. Newman, McQueen, Bobby Brady and the headphones o' DOOM! Can't wait.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #4 of 50 Old 04-06-2009, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Since they released the SE dvds of Towering and Poseidon together this makes no sense that they wouldn't do the same with the BD. It's the perfect double feature. Tie the two titles together with one promotion. Dumb missed opportunity IMHO...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 50 Old 04-06-2009, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I don't believe I've ever seen an HD presentation of The Poseidon Adventure, so given it's a few years older it could be its elements are in worse shape so a full restoration may take more time/energy/money.

Note that in most cases when the SE DVDs were made and they were remastered in "High Definition" it was often only in 1080i.

BTW, these titles are available for pre-order at Amazon now.
post #6 of 50 Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

I don't believe I've ever seen an HD presentation of The Poseidon Adventure, so given it's a few years older it could be its elements are in worse shape so a full restoration may take more time/energy/money.

Note that in most cases when the SE DVDs were made and they were remastered in "High Definition" it was often only in 1080i.

True. Just seems a shame not to try to release them both if that's not the case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 50 Old 04-06-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

I've seen an HD presentation of the original Poseidon Adventure on the old INHD channel. Towering Inferno was on there too, but did not look anything like it did on HD Net where it looked great. Neither of these films shown on INHD were OAR and I think cropping this stuff messes it up. I never saw the original Poseidon Adventure on HD Net but it could have been shown and I missed it.
post #8 of 50 Old 04-08-2009, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The Towering Inferno will be a definite day-of-release buy, and I will watch it that night as well. It is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Regarding double features, though, a much better movie to pair with this is Die Hard. In fact, the original widescreen Laser Disc releases of these two coincided in 1988-89.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #9 of 50 Old 04-08-2009, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

Regarding double features, though, a much better movie to pair with this is Die Hard. In fact, the original widescreen Laser Disc releases of these two coincided in 1988-89.

I dunno. Something about the Irwin Allen, all star cast in groovy 70's clothes disaster films back to back is hard to beat. Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman vs. Ernerst Borgnine and Gene Hackman? No contest IMHO....

post #10 of 50 Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 AM

Liked: 11
Release date is just around the corner - I may be able to buy a copy of Towering Inferno ahead of schedule today - if so I will do a comparison between the Blu ray and SD version. Hope there is a big improvement viewing with the pj. Just wish Fox would not charge so much.
post #11 of 50 Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

The Towering Inferno is a Must Buy for me. Newman, McQueen, Bobby Brady and the headphones o' DOOM! Can't wait.

Same can't wait to get my hands on this one, the problem for me is there are too many good movies coming out on blu at the minute.
post #12 of 50 Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Much as I enjoyed 'TTI', I would prefer to see that other 70's disaster flick, 'Earthquake' remastered on BD. I remember seeing this in a 'Senssurround'-equipped theater where a large array of commercial Cerwin-Vega speaker cabinets conveyed the vibrating sensation of an actual earthquake....I def remember my pants shaking....it was quite a visceral thrill! (1974 Academy Award winner: Best Sound). I think only 2 or 3 films were filmed in this format....I also saw 'Midway' in Senssurround, and remember the rumble of the airplanes taking off from the aircraft carrier near the opening sequences. In fact, the 2006 remastered 'Earthquake' dvd contains the original Senssurround 3.1 track! I haven't watched it in a while, but I do recall that it vaguely recreates a somewhat novel experience, especially with my Buttkickers engaged! Needless to say, 'Senssurround' would be a whole new experience on BD....I could even see the studio including a 'D-Box' motion code to give one a full, complete massage.

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
post #13 of 50 Old 07-01-2009, 03:31 PM

One gets a bit more critical with anything over 100" and the blu ray version is definitely better than the SD. I only watched the opening sequence on the SD up to where the helicopter lands. I cannot comment on the film stock, intended softness etc. but it looks accurate in regard to some softness inherent to the movie. Night and interior scenes are much better, especially all those '70's vibrant colors - the overall sharpness,saturation and detail a nice improvement. An example is the railing on the building in the opening when the helicopter is hovering before landing - the SD looked quite bad in softness and the railing around the landing pad looked doubled - as if the film was out of alignment for lack of a better description. The blu ray fixes that particular issue. Certainly worth buying if you like this film.
post #14 of 50 Old 07-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Since they released the SE dvds of Towering and Poseidon together this makes no sense that they wouldn't do the same with the BD. It's the perfect double feature. Tie the two titles together with one promotion. Dumb missed opportunity IMHO...

I wouldn't be surprised if retailers such as Amazon or BB double them up on their own.
post #15 of 50 Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if retailers such as Amazon or BB double them up on their own.

Except that Poseidon isn't coming out now. They should have released them both at the same time.

post #16 of 50 Old 07-01-2009, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The SE DVD of Towering Inferno (and Posideon Adventure), that came out in (I think) 2005, replaced earlier non-anamorphic editions.
These SEs were a HUGE improvement, and to be perfectly honest I think they still look as good as any catalog title in standard def can look.

I expect the Blu-ray to be an improvement- but there is no way on earth it is going to be at the same level of improvement that it was going from early 4:3 letterboxed to a new anamorphic transfer/disc.

I'll still be getting this day one, but at this point I'm only expecting to squeeze out that extra 5%.
post #17 of 50 Old 07-01-2009, 11:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Should definitely be more than 5% when jumping from 480 to 1080....

post #18 of 50 Old 07-02-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Should definitely be more than 5% when jumping from 480 to 1080....

you would think.
But after 3 years and a couple hundred discs, I know better.
post #19 of 50 Old 07-02-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post

[IMG]http://www.****************/img/i/P.jpg[/IMG]I wouldn't be surprised if retailers such as Amazon or BB double them up on their own.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

Hm this could happen definitely, seems people are only buying from maybe 4-5 retailers right now
post #20 of 50 Old 07-02-2009, 05:32 PM

I have compared the blu ray and SD versions (above post) and the improvement (overall) is quite noticeable. I am viewing on a 128" 2:35 screen and I really cannot be bothered to look at the SD version anymore, I will be giving it to a friend. Granted it is not perfect but the increased sharpness and more accurate colors won me over - it's no contest.
post #21 of 50 Old 07-02-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan View Post

you would think.
But after 3 years and a couple hundred discs, I know better.

I have a feeling it will still look decent.

post #22 of 50 Old 07-02-2009, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looked fairly decent on HDNet so I expect the BD to be more or less the same.
post #23 of 50 Old 07-02-2009, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh, I'm not doubting it will be better.
I expect greater color fidelity and noticing a sharper, better delineated edge here and there.

I'm just saying that what I expect to see, and what has been my overwhelming experience with catalog on HD discs, is at the most basic, a simply more refined image- not the wholesale improvement that you get from comparing an early 4:3 letterbox blown up to 100" wide vs blowing up a newly encoded 16:9 DVD downconverted from a brand new HD master.
post #24 of 50 Old 07-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if this movie is getting a Remaster? This is one of my favorite movies growing up and a definite must buy for me. I hope they don't get trigger happy with the DNR shotgun either.

Jorge

Audio Enthusiast, HD Videophile.
post #25 of 50 Old 07-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

I watched the BD yesterday night. The picture is definitely soft and I was rather disappointed. I did not take the time to compare it with the latest DVD (of which I have a copy, though), but I am ready to bet the BD is better. The AQ seemed fine.
post #26 of 50 Old 07-07-2009, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I just arrived home with my copy. Going to get something to eat, then I'll pop it in and check it out. Back later with an appraisal.

post #27 of 50 Old 07-07-2009, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Well, big improvement on the recent Special Edition DVD. Much better, deeper colors, better contrast. Much better detail and resolution.

But it appears to be exactly the same master as the SE DVD. It seems to me that the Blu-ray could have benefitted from a newer 4k master. Though this disk is clearly superior to the SE, longer shots seem softer than they should. Close-ups tend to be more resolved for the most part.

Overall, i'd give the PQ a 3.5/5. Fans of the film will appreciate the upgrade. Just don't expect miracles.

It's too late to pump up the volume so AQ assessment will have to wait.

Btw, i'm using an Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 6100 at 1080/24p with a Sony BDP-S550 for playback.

post #28 of 50 Old 07-12-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

Looked fairly decent on HDNet so I expect the BD to be more or less the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey1 View Post

I watched the BD yesterday night. The picture is definitely soft and I was rather disappointed. I did not take the time to compare it with the latest DVD (of which I have a copy, though), but I am ready to bet the BD is better. The AQ seemed fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Well, big improvement on the recent Special Edition DVD. Much better, deeper colors, better contrast. Much better detail and resolution.

But it appears to be exactly the same master as the SE DVD. It seems to me that the Blu-ray could have benefitted from a newer 4k master. Though this disk is clearly superior to the SE, longer shots seem softer than they should. Close-ups tend to be more resolved for the most part.

Overall, i'd give the PQ a 3.5/5. Fans of the film will appreciate the upgrade. Just don't expect miracles.

It's too late to pump up the volume so AQ assessment will have to wait.

Btw, i'm using an Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 6100 at 1080/24p with a Sony BDP-S550 for playback.

I hope it is at least as good as it was on HDNET several years ago, perhaps before HDLite. Had it on the DVR, but DVR bit the dust, It was probably my favorite recording because it really looked good. The cropped version from INHD sucked in comparison. For me only two days till it is available for purchase. I am counting down. I hope I am not disappointed. I am really looking forward to getting it and I am going to test it. Thanks.
post #29 of 50 Old 07-12-2009, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocka2 View Post

For me only two days till it is available for purchase. I am counting down.

Same here. I have a Best Buy gift card with $13 remaining, and the Fry's ad for a price-match already saved. Unfortunately, my projector was sent back for a refund and I haven't got the check for a new one yet.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #30 of 50 Old 07-18-2009, 09:03 AM

Any reviews on this yet?
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page