Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 2590 Old 06-18-2009, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^ Lemme ask this then...if the TE discs do have sub-par PQ, is there any hope/chance the EE's will look any better? Or is it likely they'll just use the same slice (encode/bitrate) merely with the added parts dropped in? Guess all we can do is hope for the best.

My Setup | Night | Bedroom

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah, Cpt. America Winter Soldier, Godzilla, Big Bang Season 7, Texas Chainsaw 40th, Edge of Tomorrow, Kingpin, Snowpiercer
post #423 of 2590 Old 06-18-2009, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Scrubbed. But hey its only a trailer anyways. Anything can happen. When I downloaded it from Warner's BD-Live the size is in excess of around 100 mb. I will take a look at it again tomorrow to check the exact file size and the exact playback duration. But nah . . . .

. . . . there is just no chance the Blu-ray will be New-Line'ized™. The first time I saw Frodo's close up I said to myself "Oh hell no!" but I know its only a downloadable trailer so you never know what bitrates and rez they used.

And before anyone ask me I have the HD broadcasts of all the movies and it looks great. The upcoming disc should trump it (as long as NOTHING is taken away from the transfer).
post #424 of 2590 Old 06-18-2009, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Scrubbed. But hey its only a trailer anyways. Anything can happen. When I downloaded it from Warner's BD-Live the size is in excess of around 100 mb. I will take a look at it again tomorrow to check the exact file size and the exact playback duration. But nah . . . .

. . . . there is just no chance the Blu-ray will be New-Line'ized™. The first time I saw Frodo's close up I said to myself "Oh hell no!" but I know its only a downloadable trailer so you never know what bitrates and rez they used.

And before anyone ask me I have the HD broadcasts of all the movies and it looks great. The upcoming disc should trump it (as long as NOTHING is taken away from the transfer).

So you didn't see the trailers on the Woodstock BD?

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #425 of 2590 Old 06-18-2009, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Gran Turino or some of the recent WB releases using BD-Live. It should be the same. But if its not I could check Woodstock too.

I have too many discs and not enough time to watch them all.
post #426 of 2590 Old 06-18-2009, 04:42 AM

Liked: 10
could someone post some caps from the HD trailer for LOTR that was on woodstock?
post #427 of 2590 Old 06-18-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

Gran Turino or some of the recent WB releases using BD-Live. It should be the same. But if its not I could check Woodstock too.

I have too many discs and not enough time to watch them all.

It's on disc 2 of Woodstock and it's the first thing that plays. I'll have to watch again but from what I remember it looked pretty darn good.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #428 of 2590 Old 06-18-2009, 06:24 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

It's on disc 2 of Woodstock and it's the first thing that plays. I'll have to watch again but from what I remember it looked pretty darn good.

larry

Well thats good enough for me I will still buy it.

Frank
post #429 of 2590 Old 06-18-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Reminds me of a Disney BD that had a trailer for Sleeping Beauty that did not impress but the actual disc was drastically better.
post #430 of 2590 Old 06-18-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Heh, just forced me to examine my Gran Torino disc, only popped it in and watched the movie last week....no sign of the trailer, oh well.

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah, Cpt. America Winter Soldier, Godzilla, Big Bang Season 7, Texas Chainsaw 40th, Edge of Tomorrow, Kingpin, Snowpiercer
post #431 of 2590 Old 06-18-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils View Post

Heh, just forced me to examine my Gran Torino disc, only popped it in and watched the movie last week....no sign of the trailer, oh well.

You have to activate the BD-Live feature, trailer is not on the disc.
post #432 of 2590 Old 06-19-2009, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Thats very true, but isn't Peter Jackson having some involvement of the BD release? I assumed he will be looking over it and making sure thats its done properly.

He has mentioned it numerous times, but how involved he ACTUALLY is, I am not sure.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #433 of 2590 Old 06-19-2009, 06:26 AM

I have HDTV caps of all 3 movies and if the Blu-rays are only as good as the broadcasts were, you are all in for a treat. So everybody stop worrying!
post #434 of 2590 Old 06-19-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

larry

Its been a long wait to get the LOTR movies on BD, so may we trust a hope that they look pretty damn good!

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #435 of 2590 Old 06-19-2009, 11:12 AM

I watched it again last night and I'm not changing my opinion. Whatever happens, there's nothing we can do about it.

larry

post #436 of 2590 Old 06-19-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Put in my copy of Gran Torino and downloaded the LOTR trailer via BD-Live. It is a high def version of the "Supertrailer" that was released on the DVD included in the collector's edition version of the Return of the King soundtrack. Runs almost seven minutes long.

For those who are interested, here is the BD-Live synopsis:

Quote:

The Quest Is Over: Director Peter Jackson's Epic Trilogy from J.R.R. Tolkien's Classic Books Makes Its Long-Awaited Hi-Def Debut on Brilliant Blu-Ray.
All 3 Theatrical Versions in Lustrous 1080p and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Audio.
Deluxe 7-Disc Set Includes 3 Special Features DVDs with 7+ Hours of Spellbinding Behind-the-Moviemaking Material and a Bonus Disc Containing Digital Copies of All 3 Adventures.

I am going to assume that the 3 DVDs will be each of the second discs in the previously released theatrical two-disc sets. I guess it's nice to have them tossed in, but it's too bad they didn't go to the trouble of giving us any of the special features in high def. This is probably the way they will go with the extended editions--the movies themselves on Blu-ray with commentaries, plus six discs of special features in standard def on regular DVD. (Same approach as the Matrix set--so maybe the two discs of special features per EE LOTRO film will be slapped on a two sided DVD.)

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #437 of 2590 Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

Put in my copy of Gran Torino and downloaded the LOTR trailer via BD-Live. It is a high def version of the "Supertrailer" that was released on the DVD included in the collector's edition version of the Return of the King soundtrack. Runs almost seven minutes long.

For those who are interested, here is the BD-Live synopsis:

I am going to assume that the 3 DVDs will be each of the second discs in the previously released theatrical two-disc sets. I guess it's nice to have them tossed in, but it's too bad they didn't go to the trouble of giving us any of the special features in high def. This is probably the way they will go with the extended editions--the movies themselves on Blu-ray with commentaries, plus six discs of special features in standard def on regular DVD. (Same approach as the Matrix set--so maybe the two discs of special features per EE LOTRO film will be slapped on a two sided DVD.)

WHat is the quality of that demo... would this be a good demo sequence to play straight through?? I have a few coming over Saturday and this would be a neat thing to play.. I have a copy of Gran Torino.

Thanks

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #438 of 2590 Old 06-19-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

WHat is the quality of that demo... would this be a good demo sequence to play straight through?? I have a few coming over Saturday and this would be a neat thing to play.. I have a copy of Gran Torino.

Thanks

Just for the record, it doesn't look like you need Gran Torino to access the trailer. Any WB BD Live enabled disc should work. I'm downloading it right now using my Dark Knight disc. It's 187MB (I think that's what it said), and if it's 7ish minutes long, then we shouldn't expect the quality to be that great. But I'll be able to tell you in a few minutes once it downloads.

EDIT: And it looks like what you'd expect from a 187MB 6:40 downloaded file. A fair amount of banding in the gradients, a bit of blocking at times. Not absolutely terrible, but certainly not up to BD standards at all (nor should it be since it's a download).
post #439 of 2590 Old 06-20-2009, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I watched it again last night and I'm not changing my opinion. Whatever happens, there's nothing we can do about it.

That's not very encouraging.
post #440 of 2590 Old 06-20-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

That's not very encouraging.

??? I previously said I thought BD trailers looked excellent. And when I viewed them again I didn't see a reason to change my mind. Regardless of the endless speculation and such, there's nothing that anybody here can do to influence what we'll finally see - the reason for my last comment.

I don't think I mentioned it earlier but the trailers on the Woodstock disc were VC-1. Didn't pay too much attention to the bit rates. 12-22 Mbs was about the range I remember seeing for a short period of time.

larry

post #441 of 2590 Old 06-20-2009, 06:43 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

, there's nothing anybody here can do to influence what we'll finally see
larry

exactly!

Frank
post #442 of 2590 Old 06-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Blu-ray.com now confirms the Nov. 3 date:

Lord of the Rings BD Trilogy for November

New Line Cinema New Line Home Home Entertainment, in conjunction with Warner Home Video, has finally revealed the release date and first details for the Blu-ray edition of 'The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy'. This title will come out on November 3. It will contain the original theatrical versions, and also digital copies for all three films.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2943

post #443 of 2590 Old 06-22-2009, 07:37 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post

Blu-ray.com now confirms the Nov. 3 date:

Lord of the Rings BD Trilogy for November

New Line Cinema New Line Home Home Entertainment, in conjunction with Warner Home Video, has finally revealed the release date and first details for the Blu-ray edition of 'The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy'. This title will come out on November 3. It will contain the original theatrical versions, and also digital copies for all three films.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2943

great stuff, still quite awhile away. I can do without the digital copies though.

Frank
post #444 of 2590 Old 06-22-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice to see a date now! With these "officially" hitting as well as Braveheart, Gladiator and a few other personal faves coming, this will have turned out to be a great year afterall.

post #445 of 2590 Old 06-22-2009, 08:56 AM

With these versions getting dolby truHD 5.1, I really hope the extendeds get what they deserve like in the past.

DTS MA 7.1 is mandatory!!!

This trilogy has historically been some of the best reference audio to show off/test your system.

I will be very disappointed if the new blu's do not continue that tradition.
post #446 of 2590 Old 06-22-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post

With these versions getting dolby truHD 5.1, I really hope the extendeds get what they deserve like in the past.

DTS MA 7.1 is mandatory!!!

This trilogy has historically been some of the best reference audio to show off/test your system.

I will be very disappointed if the new blu's do not continue that tradition.

While I agree, we shouldn't be surprised by this move. Yet another ploy on the part of Warner consistant with the biggest double dip strategy in the history of home video. While I appreciate that some look at this as better than nothing, the feedback on Amazon gives me comfort. The faster the sell through on the TE, the sooner we'll get the EE and 7.1.

While there is lots of historical precedent for this, it would have been nice to provide both versions in a single package to really boost consumer interest in BD. Instead, Warner divides us all.
post #447 of 2590 Old 06-22-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
There's enough consumer backlash on this that Warner will probably issue the EEs sooner rather than later.
post #448 of 2590 Old 06-22-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

There's enough consumer backlash on this that Warner will probably issue the EEs sooner rather than later.

Right around the time The Hobbit marketing push begins?

I will wait for the EEs before buying LOTR.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #449 of 2590 Old 06-22-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Right around the time The Hobbit marketing push begins?

I will wait for the EEs before buying LOTR.

agreed
post #450 of 2590 Old 06-22-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 808
I'll just rent the theatrical version and purchase the Extended Editions.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page