Lord of the Rings (TE) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2590 Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to see a director's cut, something like theatrical + the Voice of Saruman. Cut all that repeating Faramir/Boromir/Denethor nonsense that wasn't in the book (bring me this mighty gift; Faramir sends a mighty gift, or FARAMIR: a chance for Faramir to show his quality; DENETHOR: a chance for Faramir to show his quality; SAM: You've shown your quality) and a bunch of other inconsistencies. Oh, yeah, and that stupid sequence with Eowyn and the stew (or whatever it was).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2590 Old 04-16-2009, 08:54 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ79 View Post

I'd like to see a director's cut, something like theatrical + the Voice of Saruman. Cut all that repeating Faramir/Boromir/Denethor nonsense that wasn't in the book (bring me this mighty gift; Faramir sends a mighty gift, or FARAMIR: a chance for Faramir to show his quality; DENETHOR: a chance for Faramir to show his quality; SAM: You've shown your quality) and a bunch of other inconsistencies. Oh, yeah, and that stupid sequence with Eowyn and the stew (or whatever it was).

That scene with Eowyn and the stew tells us a bit more about Aragorn how he's the last of the DĂșnedain.

Frank

post #183 of 2590 Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 PM

I knew this would happen. I've made my brother promise to burn these if I break and order them. I hope the EEs aren't too far away.
post #184 of 2590 Old 04-16-2009, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
November 2013 when the Hobbit special edition is released...
post #185 of 2590 Old 04-16-2009, 11:40 PM

Not the least bit interested in the theatrical editions and won't rent or buy them.

Far too many scenes which i would miss not least the Christopher Lee final scenes in The Return Of The King and i'm not falling for the hype which will no doubt get stronger as the release date approaches. The older you get the more you learn to not listen to hype but to your head and my head tells me to wait for the extended editions but hey they know people will rush in and double dip which is why they are releasing these ones first.

I am glad though they are releasing the films as it will be good for Blu Ray and HD media and maybe help sell the format a little more but i'm just disappointed as i was with the Star Trek announcement at what is being released.
post #186 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

Amazon pre-order page complete with cover art.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=bluray-060-20

I hope it gets a 7.1 DTS HD MA track

Since Warner handles the New Line BDs, this will be Dolby THD EX much like Domino was. I'm hoping that they would just drop the EX crap as it wrecks havoc with my Integra pre/pro.
We shall see.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #187 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sure that Warner, as the release date approaches, will (wink,wink) say the extended editions won't come out until 2100. I realize the temptation, but resistance isn't futile. Don't reward them for the most obvious double dip strategy in the history of home video.
post #188 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'll take it in whatever edition they release it; as long as it serves its high def purpose of having a better picture quality of that then my upscaled dvd versions (which already look damn good).

Of course we all want the longest & best editions but be realistic, they wouldnt have a chance at selling multiple editions/versions of the movie then. And as someone else already pointed out; we know the real sale of it will come around the time the Hobbit is released
post #189 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well, for what it's worth,

http://www.amazon.com/Rings-Trilogy-...971074&sr=8-15

This may remain just a place holder until 2012 but one can hope it happens sooner

post #190 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I know they'll double dip it later, but $70 isn't terrible considering it'll be at least three years before we see the EE on Blu-ray (assuming the info about Jackson wanting to wait for The Hobbit to be finished/released is true).

Yes, double dipping is evil, but given the lapse between releases I don't think this qualifies. Now if they turn around and put the EEs out next year, I'll be right here with my torch and pitchfork complaining about double dipping. :P

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
post #191 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 09:11 AM

Can't wait, this is one of my all time favorite Trilogy/movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Well, for what it's worth,

http://www.amazon.com/Rings-Trilogy-...971074&sr=8-15

This may remain just a place holder until 2012 but one can hope it happens sooner [IMG]http://www.***********************/track/img/3358/m09d0317xktz/2.gif[/IMG]

post #192 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

Not the least bit interested in the theatrical editions and won't rent or buy them.

Far too many scenes which i would miss not least the Christopher Lee final scenes in The Return Of The King and i'm not falling for the hype which will no doubt get stronger as the release date approaches. The older you get the more you learn to not listen to hype but to your head and my head tells me to wait for the extended editions but hey they know people will rush in and double dip which is why they are releasing these ones first.

I am glad though they are releasing the films as it will be good for Blu Ray and HD media and maybe help sell the format a little more but i'm just disappointed as i was with the Star Trek announcement at what is being released.

You are correct! pass on this incomplete money grab edition and wait for the real release at least you know it's coming, with star trek paramount pretends it's not.
post #193 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soncomet View Post

I knew this would happen. I've made my brother promise to burn these if I break and order them. I hope the EEs aren't too far away.

I think I saw this before:

[The two of you in front of a bonfire/raging volcano, you are holding the box of discs]

Elrond/Your brother: Destroy it!!

Isildur/soncomet: No. [clutches the precious]

Whatever you decide, watch out for orc archers, dude!

We have our heading. Here we gooooooo!
post #194 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hmm. Why are there seven discs in this set? Doesn't a single Blu-ray disc have the capacity to hold the entire theatrical version of ROTK (the longest of the three)?
post #195 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Come on guys! Just buy them and then sell them when the EE's get announced. There are plenty of ebayers or craigslisters who could care less what version this is. You will have no problem getting at least 1/2 of what you paid for them. I'm preordering these just to get my fix until the EE's come out. I gotta see that final battle in Return of the King ASAP with lossless audio and HD picture.
post #196 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 11:56 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Since Warner handles the New Line BDs, this will be Dolby THD EX much like Domino was. I'm hoping that they would just drop the EX crap as it wrecks havoc with my Integra pre/pro.
We shall see.

The UK EIV Domino had DTS also
post #197 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Is there enough room on a 50G blu ray disc to hold both versions of the movie and lossless sound?

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #198 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 12:47 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post

Come on guys! Just buy them and then sell them when the EE's get announced.

I'm a huge fan of the LOTR EE, and only a moderate fan of the theatrical.

For me... it comes down to the fact that life's too short to watch this huge epic three or four times a year. Too many other good movies to watch; too many other activities to pursue. I'm simply not going to "blow" one or more of my LOTR viewings (and it's kind of an "event" in my house each time we do it) on the theatrical editions. If I'm devoting that kind of time, I'm going to do it right... and in my opinion, the only way to do it right is with the EE.

In other words... for me... it's more about my time than my money. (Even though "time IS money", so it gets confusing. )
post #199 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
To me, the slight flaws added in the Extended Fellowship are worth dealing with because there is so much to love. My only problems are the longer Hobbit opening is not needed and the rock throwing in the extended sword fight. But lots of other stuff added to that sword fight really works well and Howard Shore's extended score for that scene really works.

TTT is 'awesomer' in the extended version.

Everything extra in ROTK up to the big giant battle is the bomb. However, much of what comes after is boring.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #200 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_breeze View Post

For me... it comes down to the fact that life's too short to watch this huge epic three or four times a year. Too many other good movies to watch; too many other activities to pursue. I'm simply not going to "blow" one or more of my LOTR viewings (and it's kind of an "event" in my house each time we do it) on the theatrical editions. If I'm devoting that kind of time, I'm going to do it right... and in my opinion, the only way to do it right is with the EE.

In other words... for me... it's more about my time than my money. (Even though "time IS money", so it gets confusing. )

Great post....this is very similar to how I feel, except I will give the TE a rent to get a fix.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #201 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penman View Post

Hmm. Why are there seven discs in this set? Doesn't a single Blu-ray disc have the capacity to hold the entire theatrical version of ROTK (the longest of the three)?

They could fit it. There's just no room for bonus content. It's probably 2 discs per movie, 1 movie disc, 1 bonus content disc.
post #202 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_breeze View Post

From my perspective, "life's too short" to wait several years for the EEs to come to BD when the theatrical versions are available.
post #203 of 2590 Old 04-17-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

The UK EIV Domino had DTS also

The US didn't. Which country do you think I was talking about?

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #204 of 2590 Old 04-20-2009, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Saw that LOTR has gotten a release date of 2009-11-03 in Sweden.

SF is the distr. here but I wonder if they are going to make their own encode of the movie. Or if they have some deal with NL/Warner.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #205 of 2590 Old 04-20-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

The US didn't. Which country do you think I was talking about?

You should get your eyes fixed as all that rolling can't be good for them.

Other countries exist you know so try to remember that.
post #206 of 2590 Old 04-20-2009, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penman View Post

I want to know the same thing, there should be enough room on a single BD to fit the entire movie (and still have the pq look great). I really hope the don't split the movies over 2 disc (especially since it is the TE), I just don't like the interrupting of the flow of the movie by having to switch disc. This will be even more annoying since the load times for BD is a little longer then DVD.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #207 of 2590 Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

If I had to guess, I would say Warner's including DVDs of each film (to entice current DVD but potential BD owners) and an extras disc.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
post #208 of 2590 Old 04-20-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlacklow View Post

If I had to guess, I would say Warner's including DVDs of each film (to entice current DVD but potential BD owners) and an extras disc.

If they do that, then I'll end up doubling the number of copies I have. I could have a copy playing on every screen in my house!
post #209 of 2590 Old 04-20-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

From my perspective, "life's too short" to wait several years for the EEs to come to BD when the theatrical versions are available.

If the TE set was shunned by consumers two things would happen. First, the studios might reconsider strategy like this. The only thing I can think of, that might be worse, is Fox releasing the theatrical version of Aliens on BD. Worse in terms of a pure money grab, double dip. The second thing that would happen is the EE of LOTR would show up much sooner.

I know waiting is difficult. I don't like it any more than you do. Still, I won't feed corporate greed. Consumers need to refuse to put up with this. If we do, they'll figure out we've wised up and give us the best product possible the first time.
post #210 of 2590 Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post

If the TE set was shunned by consumers two things would happen. First, the studios might reconsider strategy like this. The only thing I can think of, that might be worse, is Fox releasing the theatrical version of Aliens on BD. Worse in terms of a pure money grab, double dip. The second thing that would happen is the EE of LOTR would show up much sooner.

I know waiting is difficult. I don't like it any more than you do. Still, I won't feed corporate greed. Consumers need to refuse to put up with this. If we do, they'll figure out we've wised up and give us the best product possible the first time.

And how do you know the consumers will shun the TE? Perhaps the AVS/HTF/etc die-hards will, but it is, after all, the version that's made over $3billion.

People here need to stop confusing their desires (and that of an a tiny subset of consumers such as AVS) with that of the population as a whole.

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page